Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Tokyo-2 Mar 4 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 5, 2014 19:15

kleermaker
Dandie, why do you think Taylor plays a solo on SA? I only hear two Keith solos. Or is something wrong with my ears? In that case, which one is Taylor's, the first or the second?

I'm pretty sure someone who was at the show (Toru A, DrBryant ?) posted that Taylor had played a solo on SA but I didn't hear it during the first casual listen of SA, will give it another try

I looked it up and it was Toru A here : [www.iorr.org]

I noticed Mick Taylor played a beautiful lead solo on Slipping Away.
He and Keith played twin lead guitar at the last part of that song.
It was almost like "If you really want to be my friend" or "Till the next goodbye"
Mick * clapped his hand and thumbed up to Keith after Keith ended the song.
That was one of the beautiful moment tonight.smiling smiley

* must be Mick T surely ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 5, 2014 19:28

They might have played a twin solo, but I can't hear that on the recording.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 5, 2014 19:35

DandelionPowderman
They might have played a twin solo, but I can't hear that on the recording.

Crappy recording as I said. winking smiley
But I seem to have mixed you Dandie and Toru up.
I'm sure both solos in Tokyo on that YT-recording are by Keith.
Taylor is hardly or not audible to my crappy ears.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 19:43

I was not at the Tokyo show so I cannot opine other than the videos I have watched, and as we all know , they never really do justice to the live performance. I have, however, attended over 100 shows in my life, including the 3 US shows in 2012 and many others in 2013, and Keith had some great moments, but overall his playing , imo, was not very good. RW was very good and the guests helped out a lot on some of those jams. We all love Keith, but we need to consider that at this stage it is a miracle that he can even stand up on stage and try his best given his life style and arthritis.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: March 5, 2014 19:44

I did, like I did since 2013...

DandelionPowderman
Powerage
The band is far better when Mick Taylor joins the RS on stage... Silver Train, just a great demonstration.

Listen to the complete show...

Date: March 5, 2014 19:46

Amen. Thanks Doxa. 100 % agree with you.

Doxa
Powerage
The band is far better when Mick Taylor joins the RS on stage... Silver Train, just a great demonstration.

At least they sound, musically speaking, more interesting. Taylor brings with himself a sort of novelty factor there, which interestingly shakes their typical routines. Sometimes it feels like it the rest sound like frozen, and like following 'what the guy does next and how he manages' (like we on the audience), sometimes almost like inspired. Those who are fond of the way the band have sound from 1989 on, and think that's the way The Stones should sound like, might see that a kind of bad thing, but I think Taylor simply gives them pure musicality in the of cost of their show-oriented routines. To me Taylor somehow represents the nature of the band as it used be long time ago, when they weren't so big, safe and sure entertainers as they now are. Taylor, funnily, is so pure musician, and lived his career outside the big live show business, as it developed during the decades after his departure from the spotlight. So he gives us a glimpse of the old 'purity', and to an extent I think that affects on the rest of them. Do they like that or not, I don't know. But I sense his presence being big there, every time he is onboard.

- Doxa

Date: March 5, 2014 21:09

. Taylor, funnily, is so pure musician, and lived his career outside the big live show business, as it developed during the decades after his departure from the spotlight. So he gives us a glimpse of the old 'purity', and to an extent I think that affects on the rest of them. Do they like that or not, I don't know. But I sense his presence being big there, every time he is onboard.

- Doxa

---------------------------- 100% correct. The others seem so set in their ways that when a real musician like MT plays they are somewhat at a loss as far as what they should do. I also agree that MT left the band before the Vegas era so he is also somewhat awkward in that he does not understand that every friggin move by Jagger is choreographed down to the final bows. That is why Silver train actually was a nice effort as it is a short rocker and not much time for MJ to prance around....they all played and sounded as good as they can at this stage.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:16

Brstonesfan
. Taylor, funnily, is so pure musician, and lived his career outside the big live show business, as it developed during the decades after his departure from the spotlight. So he gives us a glimpse of the old 'purity', and to an extent I think that affects on the rest of them. Do they like that or not, I don't know. But I sense his presence being big there, every time he is onboard.

- Doxa

---------------------------- 100% correct. The others seem so set in their ways that when a real musician like MT plays they are somewhat at a loss as far as what they should do. I also agree that MT left the band before the Vegas era so he is also somewhat awkward in that he does not understand that every friggin move by Jagger is choreographed down to the final bows. That is why Silver train actually was a nice effort as it is a short rocker and not much time for MJ to prance around....they all played and sounded as good as they can at this stage.
Mick didn't prance around because he needed to stay close to the TelePrompTer. It was pretty obvious.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:24

Brstonesfan

- Doxa

I saw the Philly II show last year. The next morning in the hotel elevator a guy had a Stones shirt on and we started talking about the show and mentioned taylor on CYHMK. My wife, who knows the Stones music but is not up on personalities, etc., said "Is that who that was? he kicked the shit out of all the other guitarists! So much better than anyone else on that stage"

An unbiased view.

Date: March 5, 2014 21:35

Well it's obvious to anyone who has any musical ear that MT is still a superb player. We are all use to what KR/RW have been doing so long that we have become complacent or tolerant of the fact that they have moved from a guitar based band in the 70's to a brass and keyboard band the past 2 decades. I think Woody is a much better player than he is allowed to show on stage as his solo shows really have impressed, but he must be muted down imo so as t not show up Keith.

Date: March 5, 2014 23:33

Powerage

DandelionPowderman
Powerage

And still you´re saying that Silver Train was "far better" than most of the other songs they performed? confused smiley

Date: March 5, 2014 23:36

Brstonesfan
Well it's obvious to anyone who has any musical ear that MT is still a superb player. We are all use to what KR/RW have been doing so long that we have become complacent or tolerant of the fact that they have moved from a guitar based band in the 70's to a brass and keyboard band the past 2 decades. I think Woody is a much better player than he is allowed to show on stage as his solo shows really have impressed, but he must be muted down imo so as t not show up Keith.

That may perhaps have been true in 1997, but not today. Today, Ronnie works his arse off, playing everything - as Keith isn´t holding down the rhythm as consistantly as he did in the past (that doesn´t mean that he´s not doing a good job).

So, if you watch Ronnie play, you´ll find that he´s playing even more than before.

Or were you thinking about guitar solos only?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 5, 2014 23:50

DandelionPowderman
Powerage

DandelionPowderman
Powerage

And still you´re saying that Silver Train was "far better" than most of the other songs they performed? confused smiley

It's a garbage comparison either way. After a year and a half, MT has never seen the stage(except maybe Echoplex) for two consecutive songs. He's off, on, off, on. The vast majority of the usual setlist, with the usual players, has been performed for years, if not decades, on end. The one song that Taylor has repeated performances on, Rambler, is one that most reviewers point out as being a high point of their show. I'm not making the claim that they'd be better or worse with him, certainly more interesting, but let's not take the first shot at a long dead rarity as evidence.

Date: March 6, 2014 00:05

That can´t be directly linked to Taylor, as MR ALWAYS is one of the high points in the setlist.

That said, Taylor does a great job on MR, and the Tokyo #2-version was brilliant.

I don´t disagree about the on/off, on/off-thing, but find your "the band is far better if only Taylor is on stage"-statement a bit simple.

MR #1, for instance, was nowhere near Out Of Control from the same show - apart from the symbolic and romantic effect of having Taylor back on stage with the band.

Therefore, imo, it has to be about his chance of contributing to the songs (more songs in a row), and of course his tact and sense of timing that will determine if his playing will improve the setlist overall.

Silver Train was a fun experiment, and I hope they´ll give it another go, but unfortunately it wasn´t "far better" than any song in the setlist, except for Doom And Gloom, which was lousy yesterday, imo.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: March 6, 2014 01:28

I don't know if this person is a member here, so let me share a link.
Here are some great pics from the show:

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 01:30 by mrsoandso.

Date: March 6, 2014 01:29

Sympathy

Date: March 6, 2014 01:31

DandelionPowderman
That can´t be directly linked to Taylor, as MR ALWAYS is one of the high points in the setlist.

That said, Taylor does a great job on MR, and the Tokyo #2-version was brilliant.

I don´t disagree about the on/off, on/off-thing, but find your "the band is far better if only Taylor is on stage"-statement a bit simple.

MR #1, for instance, was nowhere near Out Of Control from the same show - apart from the symbolic and romantic effect of having Taylor back on stage with the band.

Therefore, imo, it has to be about his chance of contributing to the songs (more songs in a row), and of course his tact and sense of timing that will determine if his playing will improve the setlist overall.

Silver Train was a fun experiment, and I hope they´ll give it another go, but unfortunately it wasn´t "far better" than any song in the setlist, except for Doom And Gloom, which was lousy yesterday, imo.

It wasn't me who said anything about "far better", though you kind of confirmed my point about how MT got up to speed pretty quickly after the first couple O2 shows when given consistent opportunity on the same song.

Date: March 6, 2014 02:19

I mixed your post with Powerage's for some reason, sorry smileys with beer

Date: March 6, 2014 02:56

DandelionPowderman
I mixed your post with Powerage's for some reason, sorry smileys with beer

No problem!

Date: March 6, 2014 03:23

I agree RW works much harder now to cover for Keith . The solos are adequate
if not spectacular. Keith has not had any significant solos that we
could call spectacular since at least the Licks tour.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:27

DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

That may perhaps have been true in 1997, but not today. Today, Ronnie works his arse off, playing everything - as Keith isn´t holding down the rhythm as consistantly as he did in the past (that doesn´t mean that he´s not doing a good job).

So, if you watch Ronnie play, you´ll find that he´s playing even more than before.

Or were you thinking about guitar solos only?

Like!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:44

RONIN agree that Ronnie is holding it all together now for the Stones guitar sound. I went back to watch the Steel Wheels videos and he was really kept down in the mix and his space to place was limited. Keith owned the stage and the sound then.

I thin it began on ABB tour and then I noticed the same at Glastonbury and Hyde Park that he was playing so much more and really filling in the sound.

I am really happy for him in one respect because I've always liked him and his playing. I equally like MT and as a Stones fan it is just a thrill to see all three play, smile, and succeed together this late in the game of life and rock.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 07:31

StrawberriesBlueberries
Sympathy

Wow, there's always someone taking a video under the watchful eye of security. at the 4:10 mark, Keith walks out to the end of the catwalk, drinks in the applause, then turns around and sprints back to the mainstage, raising his fist towards the end. He gets to the front of the stage and plays his solo.

Great.

Date: March 6, 2014 10:08

Hum... Keith solo...

StrawberriesBlueberries
Sympathy

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 10:49

DandelionPowderman

Did they really play Mister Always in Tokyo? That's awesome!

Date: March 6, 2014 11:00

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Did they really play Mister Always in Tokyo? That's awesome!

LOL! thumbs up

Rambler is now re-baptized!

Posted by: kait ()
Date: March 7, 2014 01:46

found this site with many great pics

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 9, 2014 09:45

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere in this thread, but I didn't get time to read it all--please delete as necessary--

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 9, 2014 20:53

Can someone point me to a good picture of Taylor and Ronnie both playing slide on Silver Train? Thanks

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home