Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Tokyo-2 Mar 4 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:19

StrawberriesBlueberries
Gimme Shelter

Horrible audio, but it sounds like a good version.

Well, Keith sounds pretty much on fire, innit??!!

This is the band I love!

By the way....what a song!! I never get tired of hearing it!!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:26

latebloomer
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
I accept their opinions, I'm just expressing mine. Honestly, I'm glad you had a positive experience with ST, Dreamer.

There were many good things about this version. Surprisingly, Mick wasn't one of them, imho. Not taking anything away from the ones who think otherwise.

Let's do it again!

From now on you have to since you learned today "I don't have to be there to notice.."

Do you really think I learned something today?

I was merely being constructive, as opposed to some whining I've been reacting to earlier.

Why the need to be so harsh?

Can't you see the nuances and the differences in criticism (as well as the genuin hope for improvement)?

DP, your criticisms are constructive and never meant to be mean spirited. I think most everyone here know that. smiling smiley

Indeed. DP is a hardcore fan, and also a fantastic musician! smileys with beer And yes, we are allowed to have opinions even if we are not there. The rest of the world weighed in on the US tour.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:29

71Tele
What would you rather have, an exciting slightly under-rehearsed song we have not heard for 35 years (with Taylor!), or an overplayed warhorse we have heard a million times?(worse yet, a second-rate song like YGMR, which we've heard a million times). Give me Silver Train any day. Keith pushing the rhythm along and Mick T. and Ronnie on battling slides! Oh yeah, that's what the Stones could be for a whole show. But I'm not complaining, they tried it, and I hope they keep doing it. For my money it was great, but it can only get better.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:32

Toru A
Deathgod
Toru A

P.S.
People from Prudential were sitting in the front row.(I was in second row)
They were sitting all through the show even though they are two generations younger than Stones!
All of them were fat people and wearing gray suit and tie.
Some of them left and went home when Keith started Slipping Away.
Anyway, I could see the show like in the very front row thanks to Prudential sucks.
I was lucky enough.grinning smiley

Hey Toru A
Thanks for your reports ! What a show.
How was the view from the front of the stage? Could you see everybody ok?

Hi Deathgod,

Smoking is strictly prohibited on the stage of and within Tokyo Dome.
But three guitarists ignored the rule.grinning smiley
They were all in fine shape.
More than anything, they seemed happy to play with the band.

I got the rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu last night.

Mick was a bit surprised and smiling at seeing Keith running into the outsy.smiling smiley

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: March 5, 2014 02:35

I understand they have to play the hits and it's great to see silver train.....but why can't they throw a bone to the die hards who travel around the world to see them, and devote 20% of the show to them 3 alternate/rarer tunes.....does mick really think he'd lose the crowd if he played if you can't rock me, or moonlight mile, sway, etc.....why was it it ok in 99, 02, and 05, but not now. play a 2nd ballad for pete's sake (love in vain, time is on, worried, sv, df, fe, lj) in addition to the the standard wh or angie......instead ygmr play 19th nervous, street fighting....whatever if they're gonna play 19 or 20 there's no reason 3-4 of them can't be for the sickos who follow them wherever they go. As long as they play satisfaction, bs, honky, smu, ycagwyw, pib, and jjf....the people(casual fans) will go home happy. All this being said I'm grateful at 70 they still perform, and I will continue to be one of those sickos that follows, and maybe that's the problem, but I can't help it....I love them too much

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 5, 2014 03:03

mjmjr
I understand they have to play the hits and it's great to see silver train.....but why can't they throw a bone to the die hards who travel around the world to see them, and devote 20% of the show to them 3 alternate/rarer tunes.....does mick really think he'd lose the crowd if he played if you can't rock me, or moonlight mile, sway, etc.....why was it it ok in 99, 02, and 05, but not now. play a 2nd ballad for pete's sake (love in vain, time is on, worried, sv, df, fe, lj) in addition to the the standard wh or angie......instead ygmr play 19th nervous, street fighting....whatever if they're gonna play 19 or 20 there's no reason 3-4 of them can't be for the sickos who follow them wherever they go. As long as they play satisfaction, bs, honky, smu, ycagwyw, pib, and jjf....the people(casual fans) will go home happy. All this being said I'm grateful at 70 they still perform, and I will continue to be one of those sickos that follows, and maybe that's the problem, but I can't help it....I love them too much

To add to this if Mick is afraid he'll lose the crowd by playing a rarity follow it up by a hit. Personally I don't think he'll lose the crowd except for the corporate people in the front who don't want to be there anyway. In 1999 on No Security Some Girls was followed by Paint It Black. The crowd survived.

We're all sick but that's what we do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 03:21 by fahthree.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 5, 2014 03:16

they could also try medleys as well...rarity merged with a classic...although not sure Keith could "play" for 8 minutes.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 03:52

Despite the absence of Bill Wyman I deteched a bit of the long lost wobble within the groove of that Silver Train. It was slightly clunky on the tracks, and a bit directionless but I hope they ride those silver rails again on the tour. It's nice to hear the band sort of winging it on stage again. ST has the potential to be a show highllight, they should keep doing it. Here's to hoping Till The Next Goodbye makes its live debut at the third Tokyo show.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 03:53

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor
caschimann
I cannot believe what´s going on here:
COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SETLIST.
THEN: ST IS LIVE ON STAGE.
BUT: THE COMPLAINERS HAVE A NEW PROBLEM - ST WAS´NT PLAYED LIKE THEY EXPECTED IT.
WHAT´S NEXT?
YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.
YOU WILL NEVER STOP.
BUT ALL YOU ARE IS A SMAL MINORITY IN OUR BIG COMMUNITY WHICH KNOWS WHAT EVERY
SECOND STONES LIVE IS WORTH TODAY.
PERFECT OR HALF PERFECT.

Complaining should be about the reduction of songs and time for consert - down from 23 songs to 19 songs and 2:30 to 2:00 hour conserts. I wonder why they have reduced the length of the consert!!!

Look at what 70 year old Mick does during those two hours, and think again if more would be physically possible smileys with beer

I thought about it... And yes, it would be physically possible for a 70 year old.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 04:09

Very cool. Amusing that on the YouTube clip (which is of course no real clue as to what it sounded like there) MT's slide solo was so loud you couldn't hear the rest of the band. Like the old days! I'm joking!

The bridge or chorus (I did not know her name) has always been pretty great. It's like half a great song in there.

It's never going to be like '73 with Keith playing rhythm and MT lead all through, but it seems to me the Stones tried this song out for all the right reasons. At minimum, som of them wanted to do it for fun and music. There is no commercial reasoning behind it. They do not have to please the few for money. They may have wanted to please the hardcore fans for non monetary reasons.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 5, 2014 04:14

TeddyB1018
Very cool. Amusing that on the YouTube clip (which is of course no real clue as to what it sounded like there) MT's slide solo was so loud you couldn't hear the rest of the band. Like the old days! I'm joking!

The bridge or chorus (I did not know her name) has always been pretty great. It's like half a great song in there.

It's never going to be like '73 with Keith playing rhythm and MT lead all through, but it seems to me the Stones tried this song out for all the right reasons. At minimum, som of them wanted to do it for fun and music. There is no commercial reasoning behind it. They do not have to please the few for money. They may have wanted to please the hardcore fans for non monetary reasons.

Very well put...and why criticize Jagger? He didn't have to do this song at all, but he did!

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: March 5, 2014 04:40

Finally got a chance to listen to 'Silver Train'! Wow, this made my day, even from a mediocre cell phone video it sounded fabulous! It's still a little rough around the edges but that's what I love about the Stones, with a little more practice this song will be the highlight of the current tour. The three guitars together sound incredible and Mick's singing is so fresh and still tentative, nothing is being phoned in on this song. Love it, love it, love it!!!

Now I'm patiently waiting for them to roll out 'Till The Next Good-Bye', these old coots can still bring it if they set their hearts to it!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 5, 2014 05:27

Toru A
Deathgod
Toru A

P.S.
They were sitting all through the show even though they are two generations younger than Stones!
Anyway, I could see the show like in the very front row thanks to Prudential sucks.

Hey Toru A

Hi Deathgod,

I got that Stones fever myself !
Toru A....was your view to the stage clear ?
I have read some reports that due to the height of the stage some people in the front rows had an obstructed view. Hopefully the stage guys have fixed this.
Could you see all the band ok?
Was the view nice and clear ?

Just picked up my front row Adelaide tix today. Can't wait !

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 5, 2014 06:10

Deathgod
Toru A
Deathgod
Toru A

P.S.

Hey Toru A

Hi Deathgod,

I have read some reports that due to the height of the stage some people in the front rows had an obstructed view. Hopefully the stage guys have fixed this.

The stage is quite high in Tokyo, but I note that in Tokyo, the front row was very far from the front of the stage (take a look at the still photo in the video below). That space will help the closer rows see the full stage.

Date: March 5, 2014 06:42

Deathgod
Toru A
Deathgod
Toru A

P.S.

Hey Toru A

Hi Deathgod,

Deathgod,

Don't worry.
They'll set up the stage considering view from all angles.
I saw their show from absolutely the same seat as yesterday's at Tokyo Dome in 2006 but I think the stage of 2014 is a little lower than 2006.
The stage has no any gimmic this time, though.
So I had a superb outlook.
As I said before, I could look what Mick Taylor was doing behind Charlie.

Enjoy the show.thumbs up

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 5, 2014 06:49

Thanks my friend !

Date: March 5, 2014 06:51

TeddyB1018

It seemed a bit hard to shout high notes for Mick at the end part of Silver Train.
We've learned it since Mick was singing All Down the Line in Tokyo in 1995.
Anyway, Mick did Silver Train without Bernard.
I thought and saw he was singing with a shout of joy out of his heart.
I respect his decision.

Date: March 5, 2014 07:07

Deathgod
Thanks my friend !

Deathgod,

Now I remember,
only obstructed view was a video cameraman for the giant screen extending his video camera on the middle-tier of the stage wall.
But you don't have to worry too much about it.

Date: March 5, 2014 07:21

One more thing to remember,
Mick Taylor was playing his guitar a little while behind Charlie on Honky Tonk Women.
Of course, his guitar was unplugged.smiling smiley

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 5, 2014 07:41

Toru A
Mick Taylor was playing his guitar a little while behind Charlie on Honky Tonk Women.

Ah, Yes. I could see it.
I was in B11 row3. Still possible to see some behind scenes.

Toru-san, do you have a same GC seat also for tomorrow?
I envy you!
I will be in 1st tier stand tomorrow.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: March 5, 2014 08:11

Holy sh**! Silver Train = UNBELIEVABLE!

Date: March 5, 2014 08:58

a bigger nut
Toru A

Ah, Yes. I could see it.
I was in B11 row3. Still possible to see some behind scenes.

Toru-san, do you have a same GC seat also for tomorrow?
I envy you!
I will be in 1st tier stand tomorrow.

Bring your raincoat and poncho to the football game tonight.smiling smiley
Hard Silver Rain is falling around Tokyo.

Date: March 5, 2014 09:01

I have been trying to resist going to the show tomorrow to try to get some work done over the next three days since I will be Macau on Sunday.

It's very difficult knowing that the Rolling Stones are playing a show that is a 10 minute subway ride from where I am sitting . . . . . . . . .

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 5, 2014 09:51

Mick Taylor is right behind and at times next to Charlie on Happy and also in that stage area before and after he is on stage for his other songs. He does not play on them but sure he is around. The "behind line" is not longer absolute when it comes to the guest player of the tour. Mick Taylor is enjoying playing with the Stones, just like the crowd loves it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 5, 2014 10:33

Full audio of the show here
YOUTUBE

HMN

Date: March 5, 2014 10:37

Thanks, Honestman! thumbs up Listening to the show right now:

Even YGMR is rocking here, it sounds like a great show!

- That was a GREAT Tumbling Dice - best I've heard in years.

- Mick has hearing problems again on Doom And Gloom...

- Ha ha! This time it was the HTW-intro Keith flubbed. Brilliant! grinning smiley

- SLIPPING AWAY IS FANTASTIC!

- MR has "Ya Yas-energy". One of the best Rambler-solos by Taylor so far!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 11:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 5, 2014 10:47

Honestman
Full audio of the show here
YOUTUBE

Youtube threatens to put hardworking bootleggers out of business!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2014 11:03

A day after to re-listen and reflect "Silver Train". This time seeing more through the groovie, free-going, loose over-all feel of the song, which made me yesterday so excited. No, it didn't change my over-all enthusiasism, but let's say, I could more clearly see the 'wrongs' in it - the ones I neglected yesterday, and better eyes spotted immedeatily.

Yeah, the band is not as tight as they could be - there are moments when each of the crucial players are lost, and not sure where the rest are or where to go. But I find that fascinating - the presence of musical dareness and danger. The unpredicatabilty and feel that the whoel thng might collapse any second - but it never does. I simply love that feel - that's to me THe Rolling Stones I love. They are far from perfectness, and good so - I always enjoy love seeing more an interesting project in creative process than just the 'perfect' result. The Stones best live represents that idea to me. A living and breathing band. Unfortunately that is rather rare phenomenon in today's Rolling Stones, which is a bit too "well-oiled machine" in their routines.

So it is the musicality, not the show aspect, that stands out so strongly in their performance of "Silver Train". The greatness of the band usually shows best when they are in odd circumstances, out of their comfort zone - that's the moment when their genuine musicality and their extraordinary talent comes out. In the presence of challenge kicking their butt, they need to just trust their own intuition. When they do that - like now - it can't stop amazing me.

Like many have pointed out, the weak link or the most suspected feature in the performance is the most important - at least for future - namely Jagger's vocals. What to some people. like me, sounds fresh and adventurous - Jagger so much out of his comfort zone - sounds for many 'unrehearsed', and I think both sides are right. Unfortunately most likely Jagger will have second thoughts about doing it again. Which is a total shame. Namely, hearing Jagger so naked and daring, struggling to get the right notes and tones, in the front of 50 000 people, catches also him at his unique best. It is all those little, intuitive choices he does there, playing with the melody, the tempo, that sets him above all the less immortal singers. It is rare to hear such natural freshness and even inspiration in the songs he sings with an autopilot with no mistakes.

The danger that Jagger is not happy with his delivery, and do not want to take that risk again, is present. Another danger I spotted derives from BV's report on the show. THe crowd wasn't too much into it, and that, as we know, is probably the reason which most dictates the fate of an 'obscure' song like that. Seemingly the big winner of the concert was, of all songs, "You Got Me Rocking". Thanks very much, Tokyo...grinning smiley

Anyway, I at least hope they will try the song again - it would be interesting follow the process where we could go next (just like in the good old days when teh songs evolved from show to show). No rehearsal or anything - these guys only develop in real circumstances, in the killing floor. Jagger, don't be pussy!winking smiley

Anyway, if this was a one-timer, I'm grateful of that. It made me realize once again why I love this band so much. The real magic is still there.

- Doxa

P.S. In that report page, there is a touchy report by Japanese 'school-teacher'. He took the photograph of his late-wife there, and the Stones played "Angie" in the front of 'them'- a reason why the couple once met... You know, this band is really more than music - how much it means to us!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 11:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 5, 2014 11:23

Wild Slivovitz
StrawberriesBlueberries
Gimme Shelter

Horrible audio, but it sounds like a good version.

Well, Keith sounds pretty much on fire, innit??!!

This is the band I love!

By the way....what a song!! I never get tired of hearing it!!

Indeed, can't remember the last time Keith sounded so confident on his GS leads, a very, very far cry from O2/1 where he seemed to be hanging on by the skin of his teeth. Wonder if that started with the intro...well the full audio seems to be available on YT so let's go check it out!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 11:23 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 5, 2014 11:31

Doxa
P.S. In that report page, there is a touchy report by Japanese 'school-teacher'. He took the photograph of his late-wife there, and the Stones played "Angie" in the front of 'them'- a reason why the couple once met... You know, this band is really more than music - how much it means to us!

Thanks for a good read.thumbs up
I also say ditto to P.S. part.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home