Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Tokyo-2 Mar 4 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:16

ROPENI
latebloomer
ROPENI
Johnny Winter's "Silver Train" beats the Stones version hands down.....

[youtu.be]

ROPENI, why compare the two now? is this really the place and time for that? I think I'd fall over if you ever write anything completely positive about the Stones. Oy vey.

I loved it, hope they add it to the regular set list.

Hey Late,why not now? l mean is being played for the first time in what? 30 years,and its jus a comparison,of the two versions according to my taste,and btw l met J.W,many years ago,and talking about that song he said it was written for him by Mick and Keith,so its valid,and please don't fall over anything,l don't want you to get hurt,and indeed l also hope they keep it in the set,but probably won't,YGR seems to be more to Jagger's taste,but hey what do l know.....winking smiley

Okay ROPENI, you made me laugh so all is forgiven. Sorry for my rant, been working too much in front of the computer and drinking too much coffee. If anything makes me fall over it's going to be that.

You are right, no reason not to compare the two..and do I detect from your desire to keep it in the set that you maybe liked it? grinning smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:20

That worked very well, and could work even better with a few more outings. No set-in-stone arrangements to unpick - just let 'em all loose on it and - whoopee! Again please!

And many thanks to whoever managed to film it under Tokyo Dome restrictions: we owe you.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:28

Doxa
Wow! That was a fantastic piece of live music that "Silver Train"! Playing 'out of box' works these guys when they are willing to take the risk. All behind all those routines and manners, they are damn fine rock and roll band, when they really put their hearts on music.

The song fits very well - as a mid tempo blues rocker (almost a western rock?), having lots of space for the guitars and the groove - to their hands these days. Melodically - and lyrically - the verses are so naive that it is difficult to any singer, but Jagger manages good enough, but it is the melodic chorus where he finds the point in the song, and is able to use his interpretative skills. And since there is no routine, he sounds rather experimental and fresh. The guitar department is such a joy to listen. Lots of room for each of them. Simply the best 'three guitar attack' so far! Also Taylor is best integrated to the team so far. Now he really sound like a part of the band, not just a "special guest" offering extended and isolated solos. For example, that little and damn fitting solo of his is just awesome.

Greatest moment musically to my mind in this leg of the tour so far. What a groove! I hope there is more to come.thumbs up

- Doxa

Very good points.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:31

Love this version. It sounds so fresh!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:50

gimmelittledrink
Love this version. It sounds so fresh!

thumbs up

But unfortunately, it's Jagger who sounds as he's a bit uncomfortable with the song's lead vocals. Which could lead to Silver Train's "sudden death" concerning future setlists - despite great guitar work.

I hope not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 21:50 by alimente.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:58

I must say I found the voice a little bit "thin", the "growl" is gone, but it could also be the recording...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:59

Stonesfan2146

I never thought I would see this.

I can die happy now.

Thank you.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 4, 2014 21:59

Keep the reports and photos coming, love 'em!
Three guitar approach, oh, yeah!!

Thank you, fans in Tokyo.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:01

kleermaker
Anybody still stating that a three guitar approach is musically beyond their reach? There was a will now and this first time ("try out" ) was exciting imo.

Yep, this was teh first proper try as far as a three guitar approach is concerned, a "try out" indeed.grinning smiley

But before we declare the mission accomplished, we have to remember that teh song was not a 'routine' song or a 'war horse' they have played million times with certain fixed arrangements. This was a 'newbie', so they needed to start from a scratch, and Taylor was there straight from the beginning when they started to rehearse it. So there were no routines they needed break or rearrange there. It is indeed a question of a will, but one could ask how much there is that will left, if the songs in question would be those million times played war horses... I think even such a "Taylorist" song such as "All Down The Line" - a cousin of "Silver Train" - would be difficult to re-arrange to these three guistarist - is there a room for another slide guitar? Of course that could be done, but I doubt their will to change their routines (which pragmatically speaking are working well).

Anyways - let us enjoy now - things like this doesn't happen every day, right?winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 22:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:02

Mick sounds better on this clip than he does on the official YGMR clip posted earlier today on FB...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:02

I agree jagger will not take any chances if he feels his performance is subpar same with sway he can not sing it live and he won't let MT play an extended solo

Date: March 4, 2014 22:04

Gimme Shelter

Horrible audio, but it sounds like a good version.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:04

We had really luck that we can see Silver train now on YT in the 2014s version.
Much thanks to the Uploader who just filmed the right song at the right moment grinning smiley
Really good played that time. Hope we can see it again during the tour and of course in Europe winking smiley

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:36

silver train Awesome

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:41

I think Doxa already gave some good points and thoughts about this Silver Train today, here's my 2cts worth...

Yup, it grooves. It rolls and it is really a pleasure to hear. They rehearsed it about 4 or 5 times and ended up here - WoW! So thanks Stonesfan very much for uploadig Silver Train!

Mick's singing: he really get's into it, especially after the first solo by Taylor. He tries to shout the next lines one octave higher and at full power, like in the original - he doesn't fully gets it going, but he really has balls to try it in the first place that early in the tour, IMHO. I would like to see him trying it again next time!

Taylor's solos were howling right there and Mick's harmonica towards the end simply blew me away ... Mick Taylor could have played three or four more blue notes with the bottleneck, I think. I was even a little bit surprised that he didn't because we all know he could very well.

In a nutshell: it's the Stones as good and raunchy as it gets - man I whish I'ld been there ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 22:44 by waterrats.

Date: March 4, 2014 22:44

I suspect that Mick won't sing ST again. He sounds completely unrehearsed.

That's very surprising...

We hear the potential, but only fragments of the melody.

The guitar players, with their two slides-setup, could have done a lot of good stuff with this one, but they're not there yet, imo.

Only one solution: To try it again.

But Mick, seriously, the "money/honey"-rhythms - it's not rocket science...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:55

latebloomer
ROPENI
latebloomer
ROPENI
Johnny Winter's "Silver Train" beats the Stones version hands down.....

[youtu.be]

ROPENI, why compare the two now? is this really the place and time for that? I think I'd fall over if you ever write anything completely positive about the Stones. Oy vey.

I loved it, hope they add it to the regular set list.

Hey Late,why not now? l mean is being played for the first time in what? 30 years,and its jus a comparison,of the two versions according to my taste,and btw l met J.W,many years ago,and talking about that song he said it was written for him by Mick and Keith,so its valid,and please don't fall over anything,l don't want you to get hurt,and indeed l also hope they keep it in the set,but probably won't,YGR seems to be more to Jagger's taste,but hey what do l know.....winking smiley

Okay ROPENI, you made me laugh so all is forgiven. Sorry for my rant, been working too much in front of the computer and drinking too much coffee. If anything makes me fall over it's going to be that.

You are right, no reason not to compare the two..and do I detect from your desire to keep it in the set that you maybe liked it? grinning smiley

Yes late, l do like it,and wish they would keep it,but somehow l don't think it will happen,l am just tired of The Stones who happen to have such great catalog of music,and yet they do the same songs over and over and over,but the casual fan only wants the hits,and l do love their music,and have seen them on every tour,multiple shows till the Bigger Bang tour,on their last outing the 50 and counting in the states,l just refused to pay what they were asking,so did not attend any shows,and indeed at one point in their carrer they were The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world,and l do not get upset over those that disagree or don't like my posts,its only an opinion..smileys with beer

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:07

Rev. Robert W.
I always wanted to like "Silver Train" more than I did based on the studio recording...

Sounds great onstage. As with "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," it really comes alive in front of an audience.

Absolutely agree. Pure Rolling stones - I loved it!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:10

DandelionPowderman

The guitar players, with their two slides-setup, could have done a lot of good stuff with this one, but they're not there yet, imo.

Yet the guitars are sounding exciting, though not perfect. But the song LIVES and grooves, very different from the stalemate template they use for the well known hitsongs.

As for Jagger, he's trying some nice things, but it's astonishing that he's missing the rhythm so badly during the money/honey words. He's rushing instead of letting it roll. Strange indeed.

But no defeatist remarks please. Let them give it at least one more chance, or better include it in their setlist.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:11

DandelionPowderman

Were you there?
thumbs down

----------------------------------------------------
Nay to those who say nay to the nay-sayers

Date: March 4, 2014 23:17

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Yet the guitars are sounding exciting, though not perfect. But the song LIVES and grooves, very different from the stalemate template they use for the well known hitsongs.

As for Jagger, he's trying some nice things, but it's astonishing that he's missing the rhythm so badly during the money/honey words. He's rushing instead of letting it roll. Strange indeed.

But no defeatist remarks please. Let them give it at least one more chance, or better include it in their setlist.

I hope they try it again, and I hope Mick has ST on repeat on his iPod. Keith, Ronnie and Taylor as well...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:19

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Were you there?
thumbs down

You mean the insecurity of the lead vocals is created by YouTube?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-04 23:20 by alimente.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:20

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I hope they try it again, and I hope Mick has ST on repeat on his iPod. Keith, Ronnie and Taylor as well...

Anyway, this song sounded WAY more interesting and exciting than all those others! So not any reason at all to complain.

Date: March 4, 2014 23:20

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Were you there?
thumbs down

I hope they try it again, but I don't have to be there to notice Mick's vocals. I'm glad you liked it, though.

Date: March 4, 2014 23:24

DandelionPowderman

"Completetly" sounds a bit hard, but definitely like he's not yet warm with the song, not absolutely confident. But I liked most of it, except for the parts, where he tries to sing higher towards the end and loses track. The problem is, he will probably never get warm with it, if they won't play it more regularily. And I'm not sure, they will do this. Maybe only if they put it in a new voting and it wins again. I see it's potential, too.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:24

wow that gs smokes

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:30

Great version of Silver Train! Thanks Keith & co. smoking smiley

-------------------------------------

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:33

I cannot believe what´s going on here:
COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SETLIST.
THEN: ST IS LIVE ON STAGE.
BUT: THE COMPLAINERS HAVE A NEW PROBLEM - ST WAS´NT PLAYED LIKE THEY EXPECTED IT.
WHAT´S NEXT?
YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.
YOU WILL NEVER STOP.
BUT ALL YOU ARE IS A SMAL MINORITY IN OUR BIG COMMUNITY WHICH KNOWS WHAT EVERY
SECOND STONES LIVE IS WORTH TODAY.
PERFECT OR HALF PERFECT.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:36

caschimann
I cannot believe what´s going on here:
COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SETLIST.
THEN: ST IS LIVE ON STAGE.
BUT: THE COMPLAINERS HAVE A NEW PROBLEM - ST WAS´NT PLAYED LIKE THEY EXPECTED IT.
WHAT´S NEXT?
YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.
YOU WILL NEVER STOP.
BUT ALL YOU ARE IS A SMAL MINORITY IN OUR BIG COMMUNITY WHICH KNOWS WHAT EVERY
SECOND STONES LIVE IS WORTH TODAY.
PERFECT OR HALF PERFECT.

Complaining should be about the reduction of songs and time for consert - down from 23 songs to 19 songs and 2:30 to 2:00 hour conserts. I wonder why they have reduced the length of the consert!!!

Date: March 4, 2014 23:37

I have never complained about the setlist?

And I don't complain now.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home