Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Saint Of Me Audience Participation
Date: January 8, 2020 17:46

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
I thought both Saint of Me and OOC had the potential to become latter-day warhorses. Not sure why it didn't materialize.

They still do the latter quite often, though.
Yeah, but not enough to qualify as a 'warhorse'...I'd rather hear OOC over, say, You Got Me Rocking, any day.

Their undying devotion to YGMR after 26 years is baffling. Sure, it's probably easy to play and uptempo, but it's empty calories.

Agreed!

However, since 2012 they've played OOC on 5 shows that I attended and YGMR only once, so they're getting there winking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 8, 2020 17:55

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
I thought both Saint of Me and OOC had the potential to become latter-day warhorses. Not sure why it didn't materialize.

Yeah, but not enough to qualify as a 'warhorse'...I'd rather hear OOC over, say, You Got Me Rocking, any day.

Their undying devotion to YGMR after 26 years is baffling. Sure, it's probably easy to play and uptempo, but it's empty calories.

Empty calories, gotta love that. A hot dog of a song

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:21

Nikkei
Topi
Speaking of the Dutch and this song, the Vredenburg 2003 theater show comes to mind!

It still came up in the set in 2003? That's a glimmer of hope. They dusted off Sad Sad Sad in search of something fresh so this one should be a no-brainer

Yes, and there was massive audience participation - including from yours truly (from the USA).
If memory serves, there was so much participation towards the end that it went on beyond the end of tune with just the crowd chanting "Oh yeah, oh yeah...".
It almost encouraged the Stones to extended it, and I think Ronnie was all game to keep it going, but it sort of fizzled out from there. That's the way I remember it anyhow.
Always liked that tune even though there's no Keith on studio version...probably my favorite from Bridges.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 8, 2020 18:35

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Amen. I'd rather hear "Saint of Me" or "Out of Control" over "You Got Me Rocking" any day. The Bigger Bang show I saw in Chicago in '06 (the reaaaally cold show) actually opened with "You Got Me Rocking" and it kind of set a deflating tone for the evening, though I did get to enjoy the novelty of the "She Was Hot" live debut that night!

Date: January 8, 2020 18:43

Hairball
Nikkei
Topi
Speaking of the Dutch and this song, the Vredenburg 2003 theater show comes to mind!

It still came up in the set in 2003? That's a glimmer of hope. They dusted off Sad Sad Sad in search of something fresh so this one should be a no-brainer

Yes, and there was massive audience participation - including from yours truly (from the USA).
If memory serves, there was so much participation towards the end that it went on beyond the end of tune with just the crowd chanting "Oh yeah, oh yeah...".
It almost encouraged the Stones to extended it, and I think Ronnie was all game to keep it going, but it sort of fizzled out from there. That's the way I remember it anyhow.
Always liked that tune even though there's no Keith on studio version...probably my favorite from Bridges.

Oh, please don't take this as a snipe at American fans Hairball. Just an observation as I feel strongly for the song. I guess a couple of us do. Someone should recommend it to Chuck

Date: January 8, 2020 19:03

Nikkei
Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

Oh, please don't take this as a snipe at American fans Hairball. Just an observation as I feel strongly for the song. I guess a couple of us do. Someone should recommend it to Chuck

No Nikkei - didn't take it as a snipe at Americans, was just stating a fact.
But to think the subject matter is blasphemous to US audiences as a whole seems a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

"Now I wonder if the US audiences are generally not the singing type of crowd or if it has to do with the subject matter of the song?
Do they believe they have a shot at canonization if they resist such blasphemy? Is this song more controversial than I realize?"
?

Lol

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 19:46

Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

Where were you located in (amazing SOM) Vrdenburg, Hairball?

Date: January 8, 2020 19:59

georgie48
Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

Front center up against stage directly in front of Mick at the base of the mini catwalk.
How about you georgie?

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 20:18

For what ever reason, the Stones love to play You Got me Rocking in Chicago. Saint of Me on San Jose '99 sounds amazing. I was hoping they would bring it back for at least a song vote in '19. Jagger seemed to really enjoy playing it.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: January 8, 2020 20:30

keefriff99

not to put too fine a point on it ... but maybe because they weren't very ... good? and people didn't like them?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 20:56

LazarusSmith
keefriff99

not to put too fine a point on it ... but maybe because they weren't very ... good? and people didn't like them?
Well obviously...I'm just going by my own personal opinion.

Date: January 8, 2020 20:58

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

Front center up against stage directly in front of Mick at the base of the mini catwalk.
How about you georgie?

You were close to where my daughter was standing (slightly to the left of you).
Me, I decided to take my small wife and equally small fanzine designer for safety reasons to the seats in front of the stage, almost in the middle. It was all very close by though.
One day I may tell you why they played in Vredenburg instead of the far more obvious Doelen in Rotterdam (where the stadium and arena shows were) cool smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 8, 2020 21:54

Nikkei
I have re-watched the 1998 St.Louis DVD and the first peculiar thing that I didn't really notice before is that there seems to be a monotonous track of a cheering audience laid over all of it. After Saint Of Me, that constant cheer goes on but there seems to be absolutely no one joining in on the chorus. Mick sneers at the crowd and finishes the song after three seconds. Then I noticed that the San Jose 99 performance on YT cuts off there (don't have that DVD) In my opinion the singalong was the main factor that turned Saint Of Me into a standout live number. At my first ever show they let us sing, then restarted the chorus, stopped again and the crowd volume doubled before they ended the song proper. Our singalong turned into a canon and lasted two further minutes (listen to the Stuttgart 99 boot) I didn't see Buenos Aires but I would imagine it was also pretty wild. Now I wonder if the US audiences are generally not the singing type of crowd or if it has to do with the subject matter of the song? Do they believe they have a shot at canonization if they resist such blasphemy? Is this song more controversial than I realize?

Yes for some reason they added more crowd noise on top of the audio track on the St. Louis show. Listen to the audio of the show and it's not there--more natural. Hopefully when they re-release it they will revert it back to its natural mix.

Regarding the sing along to "Saint of Me"--I don't think they had in mind to include the audience singalong during the ending bit when they first performed this song throughout 1997. That changed once they brought the tour to Latin America and Europe in 1998 and the crowds kept it going during that break. By 1999, they purposely invited the audience to sing during the end by keeping the band playing underneath the crowd singing. It was part of the arrangement on that tour.

And yes they should definitely bring the song back.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 8, 2020 22:07

Hairball
georgie48

How about you georgie?

Me and my friend Harald, too. Right in front of Mick.
You must have been standing on my feet, Hairball!
One of those hands is mine!

Date: January 8, 2020 22:50

Justin
Nikkei
I have re-watched the 1998 St.Louis DVD and the first peculiar thing that I didn't really notice before is that there seems to be a monotonous track of a cheering audience laid over all of it. After Saint Of Me, that constant cheer goes on but there seems to be absolutely no one joining in on the chorus. Mick sneers at the crowd and finishes the song after three seconds. Then I noticed that the San Jose 99 performance on YT cuts off there (don't have that DVD) In my opinion the singalong was the main factor that turned Saint Of Me into a standout live number. At my first ever show they let us sing, then restarted the chorus, stopped again and the crowd volume doubled before they ended the song proper. Our singalong turned into a canon and lasted two further minutes (listen to the Stuttgart 99 boot) I didn't see Buenos Aires but I would imagine it was also pretty wild. Now I wonder if the US audiences are generally not the singing type of crowd or if it has to do with the subject matter of the song? Do they believe they have a shot at canonization if they resist such blasphemy? Is this song more controversial than I realize?

Yes for some reason they added more crowd noise on top of the audio track on the St. Louis show. Listen to the audio of the show and it's not there--more natural. Hopefully when they re-release it they will revert it back to its natural mix.

Regarding the sing along to "Saint of Me"--I don't think they had in mind to include the audience singalong during the ending bit when they first performed this song throughout 1997. That changed once they brought the tour to Latin America and Europe in 1998 and the crowds kept it going during that break. By 1999, they purposely invited the audience to sing during the end by keeping the band playing underneath the crowd singing. It was part of the arrangement on that tour.

And yes they should definitely bring the song back.

Yeah the South Americans inventing it sounds logical smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 8, 2020 23:06

SOM has a suspicious flavour of a simple red song.
It is a great tune, but i do not like it too much

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: January 9, 2020 00:14

I hope the stones save resurrecting SOM until (if) they ever play South America again - where I think it will have the best impact for singalongs.

I think Mick does like to include one “modern” (cough cough) song in the recent tours - since Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, Streets of Love, Out Of Control, Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control, You Got Me Rocking, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions and Harlem Shuffle have all got a run out I predict we may see Rock and a Hard Place, Love is Strong and Saint of Me at least once each before 2022!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-09 00:15 by GJB.

Date: January 9, 2020 00:39

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

How about you georgie?

Me, I decided to take my small wife and equally small fanzine designer for safety reasons to the seats in front of the stage, almost in the middle. It was all very close by though.
One day I may tell you why they played in Vredenburg instead of the far more obvious Doelen in Rotterdam (where the stadium and arena shows were) cool smiley

My friend Ed aka "LittleRedRooster" (he used to post here and on shidoobee) and I waited in line all day a few people back from the entrance, and we traded off giving each other breaks throughout the day.
I'll never forget the amazing giant Dutch pancake I had at a nearby restaurant which gave me the energy to shuffle through once the doors opened (not to mention the spliff I smoked to keep me mellow and focused smiling smiley ). They shuffled the first batch of us in to a waiting room and made us sit on the floor while giving a quick lecture not to stampede, etc - it was sort of like being in kindergarten and purgatory lol, but once they let us in the venue proper we made a beeline directly to our spot and didn't budge until the show was over. A couple other friends of mine (small and female like your wife) chose the seats as you did, and as you say they were still VERY close. I was also at the Rotterdam stadium and arena shows, as well as one of the Amsterdam arena shows (the second show was postponed). Would be interesting to find out why they chose Vredenburg instead of Doelen, but it all turned out great as it was nice to return to Utrecht which is a beautiful city - especially when the Stones are there playing live!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 9, 2020 02:27

I heard that show in Vredenburg was fantastic!

I've heard "Saint of Me" live about three times, all in the States.
I'm continually disappointed that it's not on the set list anymore.

Seems to me that the audience participation may have started off fairly softly but grew louder when the audience heard Mick repeat the chorus. Some did not know the song, newer at the time, and it's a quieter one, not so much a loud rocker-type. It did end with the Oh Yeahs going on for a while....Another thing that occurs to me is the band would do it with shows with an actual B stage, so Mick could walk out there to sing.

Bring it back, yes!!!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 9, 2020 03:18

I vaguely remember one of the Arena, Amsterdam, shows, where they played the song and ended it alright, then after some (slightly too long) pause decided to extend it with more audience participation. In hindsight it must have been a rehearsed thingy, but at the time it came across as a spontaneous move.

Date: January 9, 2020 06:15

TooTough
Hairball
georgie48

How about you georgie?

Me and my friend Harald, too. Right in front of Mick.
You must have been standing on my feet, Hairball!
One of those hands is mine!

smiling smiley

Thanks for posting this - I recall either you or someone else posted this in the past in some other thread here!
I think yours and Harlad's hands are to the left inside circle, while I believe those are my two hands mid-clap to the right. winking smiley
What a night that was.....GO MICK!!! thumbs up

Date: January 9, 2020 12:08

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Nikkei
Topi

How about you georgie?

My friend Ed aka "LittleRedRooster" (he used to post here and on shidoobee) and I waited in line all day a few people back from the entrance, and we traded off giving each other breaks throughout the day.
I'll never forget the amazing giant Dutch pancake I had at a nearby restaurant which gave me the energy to shuffle through once the doors opened (not to mention the spliff I smoked to keep me mellow and focused smiling smiley ). They shuffled the first batch of us in to a waiting room and made us sit on the floor while giving a quick lecture not to stampede, etc - it was sort of like being in kindergarten and purgatory lol, but once they let us in the venue proper we made a beeline directly to our spot and didn't budge until the show was over. A couple other friends of mine (small and female like your wife) chose the seats as you did, and as you say they were still VERY close. I was also at the Rotterdam stadium and arena shows, as well as one of the Amsterdam arena shows (the second show was postponed). Would be interesting to find out why they chose Vredenburg instead of Doelen, but it all turned out great as it was nice to return to Utrecht which is a beautiful city - especially when the Stones are there playing live!

All those Dutch concerts! I must have run into you somewhere then cool smiley
If your friend Ed is Ed P. Then I do know him. Big Stones fan. I will find out how he is doing.
It's nice to see that some people took close-by Vredenburg stage photos. Can they be found somewhere? They refresh the great memories!

Date: January 9, 2020 19:06

@ georgie - yes we probably bumped in to each other somewhere down the line. thumbs up
My friend's name is Ed Kruzweski, and the last I saw him was in San Diego 2015. Have tried contacting him several times since, but emails bounce back, and he's nowhere to be seen on any of the message boards.
I think he was having some health issues, and can only hope he's doing well. He was/is an old time fan who had seen the Stones in the early '60's (and probably every tour after), and he taught me alot - even sending me dozens of boots, etc.

As for Vredenburg photo's, there's a few here via google search: Stones at Vredenburg

And there's always this great video from a Dutch news station detailing the show with clips of No Expectations and JJF:

Partial description of video translated via google:

The concert in Vredenburg was completely recorded with professional cameras and was one of the few club appearances to have a big chance of ending up on the 'Four Flicks' DVD box.
Unfortunately, the choice was made for Olympia Paris and many of the 2,000 lucky attendees in Vredenburg (including myself) hope that the images will someday pop up again!

Maybe some day it will be released from the vaults...hope so!

Date: January 9, 2020 21:45

Hairball
@ georgie - yes we probably bumped in to each other somewhere down the line. thumbs up
My friend's name is Ed Kruzweski, and the last I saw him was in San Diego 2015. Have tried contacting him several times since, but emails bounce back, and he's nowhere to be seen on any of the message boards.
I think he was having some health issues, and can only hope he's doing well. He was/is an old time fan who had seen the Stones in the early '60's (and probably every tour after), and he taught me alot - even sending me dozens of boots, etc.

As for Vredenburg photo's, there's a few here via google search: Stones at Vredenburg

And there's always this great video from a Dutch news station detailing the show with clips of No Expectations and JJF:

Partial description of video translated via google:

The concert in Vredenburg was completely recorded with professional cameras and was one of the few club appearances to have a big chance of ending up on the 'Four Flicks' DVD box.
Unfortunately, the choice was made for Olympia Paris and many of the 2,000 lucky attendees in Vredenburg (including myself) hope that the images will someday pop up again!

Maybe some day it will be released from the vaults...hope so!

THANKS A LOT, Hairball!
A little "homework" here for me, but believe me, it will be very enjoyable homework.
I hope some good news will surface one day about your friend Ed!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:57

keefriff99

I works live I think because it has that same kind of ebb and flow in the verse and chorus that you get with Out of Control .

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:23

Personally, I don't go to gigs like this to listen to myself and my fellow crowd members sing. I think its boring but from the bands side it takes the pressure off the singer for awhile. But then they begin to use it as a crutch. I prefer to have mick just stand there and concentrate on singing, but that aint gonna happen either.

oh well.
jb

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:32

One of the best: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:46

I'd be all for the odd sing along...

...if it meant for the rest of the show that the half dozen drunken lunatics standing next to me didn't sing along, out of tune and with the wrong words, loudly down my ear 'oles to every bloody song ! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2020 00:26

….Oh yeah went to an Al Green show
once and he had the audience sing
along on virtually every song …..
So many women swinging … swaying and screeeeching ….

ROCKMAN

Date: January 11, 2020 13:47

jbwelda
Personally, I don't go to gigs like this to listen to myself and my fellow crowd members sing. I think its boring but from the bands side it takes the pressure off the singer for awhile. But then they begin to use it as a crutch. I prefer to have mick just stand there and concentrate on singing, but that aint gonna happen either.

oh well.
jb

I always thought that going to a concert is about enjoying your time and sharing it with your favorite artist(s). And part of enjoying can be singing along with certain songs. The Stones are not supposed to be actors in front of a silent audience. That thought alone .... yagh.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home