Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Saint Of Me
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 14, 2014 20:09

MadMax
A Jagger tune, I like the bridge a lot. In contrast to Monsieur Drake I can really relate to this song......

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 14, 2014 23:30

This is the only one of the 3 Dust Brothers produced tracks that really works. And my, how it does! It should have been the 1st single.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 15, 2014 00:51

Great song!! It should be rotated with other Mick favorites ever tour, along with "Out of control" and a couple of other great newer songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2014 03:11

Bewildering to me that this latter day classic is so rarely played, yet we get YGMR treated as though it was some hit single.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 9, 2017 18:37

I pulled up this old thread good read on ‘Saint of Me’

Here is the live Utrecht 2003
[m.youtube.com]

Ultimate Classic Rock said about the studio track:
Hiding somewhere within this tune is something that could have harkened back to the edgy smack-laced danger of 1972's Exile on Main St. The loop-driven "Saint of Me," written in tribute to their late long-time sideman Billy Preston, suffers a similar fate. It's a pretty good Stones song lost in a maze of studio tricks.

Richards doesn't even appear on "Saint of Me."
He claimed there were no hard feelings, despite early reports of tensions in the studio. "You always have to deal with other people's preconceptions of what their version of the Stones is – and we can't be everything to everybody," Richards told the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1998. "All we can do is be true to ourselves as much as possible, and say, 'This is us now, take it or leave it.'"

ETA: BTW, why is it the guy who supposedly has been whacked outta his gourd on drugs his whole life
Is the one who ALWAYS makes the most sense?!
RICHARDS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 19:05 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2017 19:27

At the end of the tune at Vredenburg (heard in clip above), the chanting of "oh yeah" continued for quite awhile after the tune had ended - quite a memorable experience with everyone singing in unison.
Almost encouraged them to extend it, and I think Ronnie and the rest were ready and willing, but then Mick shut it down.

As for studio version, always liked it, and they still occasionally play it on one of my local radio stations. I have a giant 60" x 40" poster of the single cover design (posted on page one of this thread by Rockman) I bought back in the day which I had laminated, and is still up on the wall at my studio - next to my Voodoo Lounge tour poster (devil and skeleton design).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 19:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 9, 2017 19:37

treaclefingers
Bewildering to me that this latter day classic is so rarely played, yet we get YGMR treated as though it was some hit single.
Probably because of Keith's distaste for it.

I know Mick and Chuck make up the setlists, but I've gotta imagine Keith has some say, and he probably didn't want to play a song that he had no input on.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2017 21:25

keefriff99
treaclefingers

I know Mick and Chuck make up the setlists, but I've gotta imagine Keith has some say, and he probably didn't want to play a song that he had no input on.

They've played Sway (horribly) and Moonlight Mile live. Stop Breaking Down (at least once that I'm aware of) too. And of course they played Saint Of Me for the BRIDGES tours.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 9, 2017 21:35

Good song.
Feels like one of the few songs post-80s that Mick put an effort into the lyrics.
Sad, though, the song's narrator that he wants to be saved but can't bring himself to do what is needed. But enough wisdom to acknowledge he's on the wrong path.
Works well with Flip the Switch, another song about facing the end with a certain disdainful attitude.

Date: December 9, 2017 21:55

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
treaclefingers

They've played Sway (horribly) and Moonlight Mile live. Stop Breaking Down (at least once that I'm aware of) too. And of course they played Saint Of Me for the BRIDGES tours.
Good point, but those are classics, and Keith was unavailable in the studio for some of those songs due to drug issues. It was basically his own fault.

I think Keith can push the setlist issue harder with newer songs he doesn't like that Mick went off on his own to do (basically solo tracks) even when Keith was available for collaboration.

Just speculating...but as we know, Mick seems to dread performing ANY new songs due to audience apathy.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: December 9, 2017 22:26

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Saint Of Me
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Ocean Way Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US,
March 13 - July 1997

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, acoustic guitar, keyboards
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
MeShell Ndegeocello - bass
Pierre De Beauport - bass six-string
Billy Preston - Hammond B-3 organ
Waddy Wachtel - electric guitar
Jamie Muhoberac - keyboards
Blondie Chaplin - backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals

Saint Paul the Persecutor was a cruel and sinful man
Jesus hit him with a blinding light and then his life began, I said yes, I said yeah
Augustin knew temptation, he loved women, wine and song
And all the special pleasures of doing something wrong, I said yes, I said yeah
I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, you'll never make a saint of me
Oh yeah, oh yeah, you'll never make a saint of me, yeah

And could you stand the torture and could you stand the pain
Could you put your faith in Jesus when you're burning in the flames, I said yes
I do believe in miracles and I want to save my soul
And I know that I'm a sinner, I'm gonna die here in the cold, I said yes, I said yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah, you'll never make a saint of me
I thought I heard an angel cry, I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye

John the Baptist was a martyr, but he stirred up Herod's hate
And Salome got her wish to have him served up on a plate, I said yes, I said yeah
I thought I heard an angel cry, I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye
I thought I saw an angel cry

You'll never make a saint of me, you'll never make a saint of me…

Produced by The Dust Brothers & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Bridges To Babylon” CD
(Virgin Records VJCP 25333) Japan, September 26, 1997

Make a saint of him, Lord! All of them...(It’s quite easy. “All who call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved.”) Then, they can do their thing, playing and singing and making music, throughout eternity, for anyone’s delight. And, for free, of course.

Date: December 10, 2017 02:46

keefriff99
treaclefingers

*Who wants to quote scripture on stage? Prince. But it’s not what the sinner audiences wanted. They wanted lust.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 10, 2017 03:52

35love
I pulled up this old thread good read on ‘Saint of Me’

Here is the live Utrecht 2003....

Ultimate Classic Rock said about the studio track:
Hiding somewhere within this tune is something that could have harkened back to the edgy smack-laced danger of 1972's Exile on Main St. The loop-driven "Saint of Me," written in tribute to their late long-time sideman Billy Preston, suffers a similar fate. It's a pretty good Stones song lost in a maze of studio tricks.

Richards doesn't even appear on "Saint of Me."
He claimed there were no hard feelings, despite early reports of tensions in the studio. "You always have to deal with other people's preconceptions of what their version of the Stones is – and we can't be everything to everybody," Richards told the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1998. "All we can do is be true to ourselves as much as possible, and say, 'This is us now, take it or leave it.'"

ETA: BTW, why is it the guy who supposedly has been whacked outta his gourd on drugs his whole life
Is the one who ALWAYS makes the most sense?!
RICHARDS.

Thank you!
I was there in 2003. They had not played SAINT OF ME since the BRIDGES TO BABYLON Tour I remember.
Always a favourite in The Netherlands. Shame they did not play it in Amsterdam or Arnhem on the NO FILTER Tour 2017.

The official clip is also a CLASSIC :
video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-10 03:57 by RipThisBone.

Date: December 10, 2017 04:44

@ RipThisBone - I'm sure you've seen this clip?

The Rolling Stones - Vredenburg Utrecht

I'm sure we have plenty of stories to share - I can see myself several times front and center.
Also at the 2:15 mark of video...being herded like sheep into the venue...I recall being in the first batch of people and being made to sit on the floor in one of the rooms just prior to getting into the theater itself.
Having waited all day in front of venue switching with my friend Ed so each of us could take a break, I remember on one of my breaks smoking a nice spilff followed immediately by eating a delicious pancake!

Date: December 10, 2017 07:25

Hairball

I'm sure we have plenty of stories to share - I can see myself several times front and center.
Also at the 2:15 mark of video...being herded like sheep into the venue...I recall being in the first batch of people and being made to sit on the floor in one of the rooms just prior to getting into the theater itself.
Having waited all day in front of venue switching with my friend Ed so each of us could take a break, I remember on one of my breaks smoking a nice spilff followed immediately by eating a delicious pancake!

Oh Hairball okay I think you’re spliffin now all I see in that clip is different men speaking in a foreign language and a short JJF ??
I was expecting ‘Saint of Me’ with you in the front row, whatever a Hairball really looks like and it’s okay, let’s keep it Look what the Cat Dragged In
P.S.
The VERY BEST JJF clip is Paris 2 2017

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-10 07:49 by 35love.

Date: December 10, 2017 07:29

Oh, and I correct my earlier implication of quoting scripture on stage
‘Saint of Me’ doesn’t have actual scripture
but a Glimmer’s interpretation of...
scripture from the Bible?
Is that a interpretation, or the word (Word?) of God?
You’ll never make a Saint out of me.

Date: December 10, 2017 08:07

35love
Hairball

Oh Hairball okay I think you’re spliffin now all I see in that clip is different men speaking in a foreign language and a short JJF ??
I was expecting ‘Saint of Me’ with you in the front row, whatever a Hairball really looks like and it’s okay, let’s keep it Look what the Cat Dragged In
P.S.
The VERY BEST JJF clip is Paris 2 2017

No Saint of Me - just a reply to RipThisBone who said "I was there in 2003" - thought he would find it interesting!
The men are speaking Dutch of course (it was all part of a news special I believe), and there's also an extended clip of an exquisite No Expectations - did you watch the whole thing?
And to see the "Hairball" lol you have to know where to look...up front center with Ed on the rail(although it's mostly a silouhette of the back of our heads and occasional arms in the air),
but once you get a position like that amongst apprx. 2,000, it's ingrained in your heart, soul, and mind forever.

Here's a different clip with most of No Expectations and a portion of JJF:

The Rolling Stones - No Expectations/JJF Vredenburg 2003

But back on topic...
35love
Oh, and I correct my earlier implication of quoting scripture on stage
‘Saint of Me’ doesn’t have actual scripture
but a Glimmer’s interpretation of...
scripture from the Bible?
Is that a interpretation, or the word (Word?) of God?
You’ll never make a Saint out of me.

It's a tale using stories from scripture and Christian history, yet not all from the Bible. Philosopher/theologian St. Augustin (354 – 430) was not in the bible,
He laid a foundation for interpreting the bible combining philosophy and belief (reason and faith) and is considered to be one of the fathers of the Protestant Reformation which happened over 1,000 years later.

Augustin's Confessions is a great book.

"Augustin knew temptation, he loved women, wine and song" thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-10 08:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 10, 2017 09:01

Not a great song, wrong credits - it has NOTHING to do with KR I think. Although I hate the track it must be said that it worked live. That is was never really tried again after 1999 (except NL 03 2x) is the good news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-10 11:28 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 10, 2017 13:38

Hairball

Hi Hairball!
Yes, that's how it was. We must have been very close together in the row in front of the theatre. We two were sitting in beachchairs until doors went open. Me and my friend are not to be seen in the video (which I have on VHS video, but had not seen in years).
I had seen an interview with the director of Vredenburg the week before the show on dutch TV and he was asked where he would choose to sit, what was the best place in the theatre. And he said third or fourth row of the seats, just behind the standing area.
We were in early enough to take place in the standing area, but took place at the best seats of the house! Hahahaha! Also real close, it was small there, and we could sit relaxed until the show started.
We were up on our feet ofcourse from Jumping Jack Flash. What a night!
Now remember I liked the opening act very much. A young band. Do you remember the name?
smileys with beer

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2017 16:07

Re: the studio cut.

Who plays the intro lick? Waddy or Ronnie?

If Wood, why doesn't he play it live?

Whichever the case, Keith did quite an effort to study it note-by note for the live renditions.

Can't think of other cases when he did so. I mean, there are many cases of him playing somebodyelse's part live, but when so he always added some material
variations

C

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 10, 2017 17:16

Average song IMO.

Date: December 10, 2017 18:49

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
treaclefingers

Good point, but those are classics, and Keith was unavailable in the studio for some of those songs due to drug issues. It was basically his own fault.

I think Keith can push the setlist issue harder with newer songs he doesn't like that Mick went off on his own to do (basically solo tracks) even when Keith was available for collaboration.

Just speculating...but as we know, Mick seems to dread performing ANY new songs due to audience apathy.

So, ha ha, why do they bother recording them then? They've always used a new album, regardless of what kind, as an excuse to tour (which includes MADE IN THE SHADE, STILL LIFE, NO SECURITY, FORTY LICKS, FIFTY LICKS), but regarding studio albums, since they bothered to make an album, why not play some of them live? Of course the BANG tour was a huge ignoration of the album basically.

The previous 3 LPs they represented quite well live so they had to have had some belief in the songs.

Perhaps they can use the promotional model U2 has done for their new album by releasing 3 songs prior to the LP release so there's some familiarity already with fans - and then play those 3 songs on tour, at the very least.

Albums they didn't tour for:
IORR
LOVE YOU LIVE
ER
U
REWIND
DW
SAL
B&L

In a sense you could say they toured SITSevnties since that came out in 1981 as well and they did play songs that are on it (Shattered, Beast Of Burden, When The Whip Comes Down) but as far as I know they never once said a word about it, unlike all the others).

Date: December 10, 2017 19:24

RipThisBone
Hairball

Hi Hairball!
Yes, that's how it was. We must have been very close together in the row in front of the theatre. We two were sitting in beachchairs until doors went open. Me and my friend are not to be seen in the video (which I have on VHS video, but had not seen in years).
I had seen an interview with the director of Vredenburg the week before the show on dutch TV and he was asked where he would choose to sit, what was the best place in the theatre. And he said third or fourth row of the seats, just behind the standing area.
We were in early enough to take place in the standing area, but took place at the best seats of the house! Hahahaha! Also real close, it was small there, and we could sit relaxed until the show started.
We were up on our feet of course from Jumping Jack Flash. What a night!
Now remember I liked the opening act very much. A young band. Do you remember the name?
smileys with beer

Yes I'm sure we must have very close in front of the theater throughout the day - it was beautiful weather in a beautiful city amidst beautiful people and of course the Rolling Stones!
As for opening band..erm...no I don't remember them - had to look it up in the review section lol - The Vue. I'm sure they were good though! winking smiley
I do remember the Hallacopters opening at Stockholm Cirkus, but probably because they just opened for the Stones again recently this tour and my memory was jarred.
I saw quite a few shows that tour, so alot of the 'unknown' opening bands are lost in the memories.

As for Vredenburg, you had a great location as you were able to peer right over the floor crowd and/or sit if you wanted to, I had so much adrenaline I could have stood all night.
Being such a small venue w/only apprx. 2,000 others, not a bad location anywhere. thumbs up

PS - perhaps you remember this Van Gogh inspired t-shirt and were able to get one...

Being an artist myself, as well as having alot of Dutch ancestry (my Grandmother was from Rotterdam), this is probably my favorite Stones t-shirt ever.
The memories it brings back as well as the cool design - a windmill, tulips, Starry Night...and the Stones...wish I would have bought two!
It was also used as a cover for a boot of the show - here's the back:

And of course I still have my ticket stub as well as the "lucky me" wristband...lucky indeed.

But veering back on topic....winking smiley...I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah....

Date: December 10, 2017 19:25

Well you pretty much spelled it out...they needed an album to justify a big new tour...at least they did back in the '80s and '90s.

Now it's become more standard to just hit the road without an album to promote, but I don't think Mick has ever enjoyed playing new songs where the crowd isn't into it.

I remember someone reported Mick muttering into the mic "let's get this over with" prior to playing a song on ABB. Have no idea if that's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: December 10, 2017 20:15

I liked it a lot the first time I heard it. Now I think it may be "too mick", but it's a great song indeed.

Date: December 10, 2017 20:17

Mick certainly had a different attitude in 1969, going on tour and playing songs from an album yet to be released.

Date: December 10, 2017 20:18

keefriff99
Well you pretty much spelled it out...they needed an album to justify a big new tour...at least they did back in the '80s and '90s.

Now it's become more standard to just hit the road without an album to promote, but I don't think Mick has ever enjoyed playing new songs where the crowd isn't into it.

I remember someone reported Mick muttering into the mic "let's get this over with" prior to playing a song on ABB. Have no idea if that's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

That would be fun to find out what it was! Probably Oh No Not You Again!

Date: December 10, 2017 20:27

keefriff99

Yeah... but even the kind-of recent Mick still said... If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough.

There's no harm in (touring behind a greatest hits CD) occasionally but we didn't want to do it again so soon. You become like an oldies band. We put new stuff out because we still can. We have lots of it - it's not like we're just eking out. Rock fans tend to be conservative. Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar". Yeah, well, but listen to THIS, @#$%&.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Obviously he changed his mind for the Twenty Teens.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 21:07

am i the only person on here that hates saint of me.

there must be someone else.

step forward and make yourself known.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 10, 2017 21:12

I'm Spartacus!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home