Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Keith Tokyo night one...OMG
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:43

treaclefingers
I'd love to know the reason why MT is dragged around the world, but not used.

It's a real shame.

Just ask the other Mick...

HMN

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:17

saltoftheearth
Roll73
... - but again for the majority it would be weird to see a 3rd guitarist on stage for more than just a guest slot.

Really? I doubt if many people would care at all if the band sounded good, be it fans or casual concertgoers. Many bands have additional musicians on stage, think only of Ollie Brown on the 1975/76 tours who sat prominently behind Charlie.

Ollie Brown sitting 'prominently' behind Charlie (nearly 40 years ago!) is not the same as Mick Taylor right in the front line so to speak. I'm sure in MJ's eyes MT would be somewhat of a conspicuous presence on the stage if he was on for the whole show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 14:19 by Roll73.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 14:32

gotdablouse
Roll73
It's not just about the music though is it. People come to SEE Keith. He represents so much. Ironically in some ways it's like a return to the days when girls' screaming drowned out the sound of the band. For most people, when Keith steps to the front of the stage for a solo it's not about the execution of it at all - it's just the excitement of seeing Keith throwing the shapes and making some sounds. The rest of the band is clearly strong enough to cover his shortcomings, so for most of the casual concert attendee Keith's decline playing-wise probably goes unnoticed.

Yep, but where do you draw the line? Look at what's happening with Chuck Berry these days, he's a total embarrassment as a musician but people are still paying to SEE him and many/most say they had a great time after the show.

Obviously (?) cooler heads will prevail in the Stones' camp...having said that maybe they should work on a way of having Taylor "ramp up" and play some of Keith's more difficult parts. I know this sounds crazy but would the casual concert attendee even notice if he played the GS intro next to Keith strumming?

I know it's been said many, many times before but surely (I mean surely?!) we aren't going to see the Stones on the road again once this current tour is over. As you say 'cooler heads will prevail' which I'm sure will be the case. So therefore, even if it makes sense musically, are they really going to start dialling down Keith's input in favour of 'ramping up' Taylor? Doubt it.

Can you imagine the conversation..

MJ: 'So Keith how would you feel if Mick T plays the Gimme Shelter intro from now on? Hardly anyone in the crowd would notice or give a shit anyway'.
KR: 'Sure Mick, whatever you say'.
MJ: 'OK cool, can you also publicly retract that comment about my little todger?'
KR: 'Sure thing big boy, whatever you say'.

Yeh right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 14:38 by Roll73.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:08

So is the. General view that keiths playing is worse than it was last year? I'm not sure I can see it from the videos but I'm new to the stones -late but in earnest - and I'm interested in the expert view of the experienced board. Members.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:22

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

It's a real shame.

He's not used during the 25 minutes (more than a fourth of the show effectively) he's on stage? winking smiley

Because the rest of the set MT needs a cigarette break?

PS, when I saw them in Toronto, the show was over 2 hours...it's under 1 hour and 40 minutes now?

Date: March 13, 2014 15:36

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

It's a real shame.

He's not used during the 25 minutes (more than a fourth of the show effectively) he's on stage? winking smiley

Because the rest of the set MT needs a cigarette break?

PS, when I saw them in Toronto, the show was over 2 hours...it's under 1 hour and 40 minutes now?

It's 2 hours now. MR is 12-13 minutes. Satisfaction is 6-7 minutes and Slipping Away is how long? 5 minutes?

25 x 4 is 1 hr 40 minutes. The remaining part of the show is the band intros and Mick stuttering in different native languages winking smiley

You got my point..

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 13, 2014 15:56

Roll73
gotdablouse
Roll73
It's not just about the music though is it. People come to SEE Keith. He represents so much. Ironically in some ways it's like a return to the days when girls' screaming drowned out the sound of the band. For most people, when Keith steps to the front of the stage for a solo it's not about the execution of it at all - it's just the excitement of seeing Keith throwing the shapes and making some sounds. The rest of the band is clearly strong enough to cover his shortcomings, so for most of the casual concert attendee Keith's decline playing-wise probably goes unnoticed.

Yep, but where do you draw the line? Look at what's happening with Chuck Berry these days, he's a total embarrassment as a musician but people are still paying to SEE him and many/most say they had a great time after the show.

Obviously (?) cooler heads will prevail in the Stones' camp...having said that maybe they should work on a way of having Taylor "ramp up" and play some of Keith's more difficult parts. I know this sounds crazy but would the casual concert attendee even notice if he played the GS intro next to Keith strumming?

I know it's been said many, many times before but surely (I mean surely?!) we aren't going to see the Stones on the road again once this current tour is over. As you say 'cooler heads will prevail' which I'm sure will be the case. So therefore, even if it makes sense musically, are they really going to start dialling down Keith's input in favour of 'ramping up' Taylor? Doubt it.

Never say never...wasn't the consensus "it's over" after the 2007 shows at the 02? But yeah it's unlikely they'll change the GS "guitar arrangements" at this point, unless Keith asks for some help like he (most likely) did for "Slipping Away"?

As for Keith's overall playing, dunno...I guess the hope was that he'd improve over time after not playing much guitar for years and putting some terrible (unrehearsed) performances in early 2012 with Costello, Depp and others. I guess it hasn't really been the case with the occasional "Chuck Berry" moment like SMU at HP or the GS intro in Tokyo. At least he doesn't look like he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth like he did at the 02 in 2012 so that's a plus!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home