Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 3, 2014 01:46

one more week to go then I will be in Macao seeing the stones for my 3rd time cant wait,count down has started.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: March 3, 2014 12:54

dcba
GS sounds pretty good to me : i've heard (lots of!) versions from the 97-98 era that were worse than this one. Obviously Keith struggles very hard to play anything consistent but Jagger is amazing! His voice and his moves belong to a man in his 40's. That's stupendous!

And have you noticed? Chuck's playing is restrained and tasty! Yes!

Yes, Jagger is astonishingly good!!!

How much I would like to see Keith in the same condition,

Keith would be like in 81-82 if he would be like Jagger is now.

But YCAGWYW.

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: March 3, 2014 13:06

ChrisM
treaclefingers
ChrisM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SPellegrino
tornnfrayed

You would think ( hope) that the Stones would want to visit the disaster region which is still recovering from the earthquake/tsunami.It would be good if they did.

Not to go too OT but something about your comment bothers the crap out of me.
Why do the Stones or any other celebrity have to publicly grieve/ or show sympathy for anything they had nothing to do with?

What do you want from them? Should Ronnie and Charlie put on hazmat suits and go out to the Fukashima plant? Do Mick and Keith have to sit on boats all day blocking dolphin kills? Does Mick Taylor have to place flowers at the schools washed away by the tsunami? And what of the backing musicians? Should Chuck, Bobby, Bernard, Lisa and Tim play on a street corner for earthquake relief?

And how about Pierre and the rest of the crew? What do you want and where does it end?

Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Actually the Stones have done benefits before, the Nicaraguan Earthquake benefit is the one I remember most. Do you even know about that one, or were you not born yet ? And I think they have made other appearences at benefit concerts in recent years so it would not be out of character for them. It just seems like the decent thing to do and I think that beneath the harsh exterior the Stones are decent people. I have always felt that way, about Keith and Charlie at least and even Jagger to some extent.
Thanks for expressing what I was about to say myself. Yes, the Stones have done benefit shows before, the SARs benefit was another such, and it was clear to me that was what you meant for the Stones to do and not some farcical notion such as visiting the Fukushima plant. The Tohoku earthquake and tsunami killed over 20k people and has had a deep impact on Japan and its people, so yes, why not a benefit show?

But where does that end? I have the utmost empathy for the Japanese that had to go through that ordeal, but at least Japan is a wealthy government. They can and should pay for this themselves.

What about all the need everywhere else? Haiti is a basket case. Pick almost any country in Africa. Other parts of Asia.

Any money raised would go a lot further in those countries. Implying the Stones need to do something in Japan I think is misdirected.
For Christ's sake, it was only a suggestion, not an imperative. Please forget about it, OK?

Yet you made the imperative first statement and then hang on to your suggestion like some teenage mall rat shrugging his shoulder and mumbling "just say'n".

Yes, we know you are just saying it was a suggestion now because it was a faulty imperative to begin with. This is like agreeing to disagree. You just want o be heard without thinking it through. You would be better off standing in a corner and shouting at the wall. I'm sure you will enjoy the echo.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 3, 2014 13:18

Just wanted to say about the comments on "rehearsed down to the finest detail"
What does anyone expect?
These guys are nothing else if not professionals
In fact that's what makes the "Scuff Me Ups" (HP1) and re-starting "Slipping Away" in Abu Dhabi even more fun
Is Keith still telling everyone "it's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere" ???

Date: March 3, 2014 15:00

A thousand things may happen during huge shows like these.

It's easy to be an armchair critic, but what would you have done if you busted a string during the opening chords of a song, or you couldn't hear what the band was doing the moment you were supposed to enter with your vocals?

Just saying that every little detail that happens throughout a show can't be planned or controlled...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 3, 2014 15:52

DandelionPowderman
A thousand things may happen during huge shows like these.

It's easy to be an armchair critic, but what would you have done if you busted a string during the opening chords of a song, or you couldn't hear what the band was doing the moment you were supposed to enter with your vocals?

Just saying that every little detail that happens throughout a show can't be planned or controlled...

Yes I think we agree...and this is what makes the odd fcuk up even more fun. And it disproves the person I had to argue with last year who said (speaking about Glasto) he'd heard there was another band playing whilst the Stones mimed. He also said the long gaps between songs were so they could take oxygen...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2014 17:24

SPellegrino
ChrisM
treaclefingers
ChrisM
tornnfrayed
treaclefingers
SPellegrino
tornnfrayed

You would think ( hope) that the Stones would want to visit the disaster region which is still recovering from the earthquake/tsunami.It would be good if they did.

Not to go too OT but something about your comment bothers the crap out of me.
Why do the Stones or any other celebrity have to publicly grieve/ or show sympathy for anything they had nothing to do with?

What do you want from them? Should Ronnie and Charlie put on hazmat suits and go out to the Fukashima plant? Do Mick and Keith have to sit on boats all day blocking dolphin kills? Does Mick Taylor have to place flowers at the schools washed away by the tsunami? And what of the backing musicians? Should Chuck, Bobby, Bernard, Lisa and Tim play on a street corner for earthquake relief?

And how about Pierre and the rest of the crew? What do you want and where does it end?

Thank you for articulating what I was thinking.

Actually the Stones have done benefits before, the Nicaraguan Earthquake benefit is the one I remember most. Do you even know about that one, or were you not born yet ? And I think they have made other appearences at benefit concerts in recent years so it would not be out of character for them. It just seems like the decent thing to do and I think that beneath the harsh exterior the Stones are decent people. I have always felt that way, about Keith and Charlie at least and even Jagger to some extent.
Thanks for expressing what I was about to say myself. Yes, the Stones have done benefit shows before, the SARs benefit was another such, and it was clear to me that was what you meant for the Stones to do and not some farcical notion such as visiting the Fukushima plant. The Tohoku earthquake and tsunami killed over 20k people and has had a deep impact on Japan and its people, so yes, why not a benefit show?

But where does that end? I have the utmost empathy for the Japanese that had to go through that ordeal, but at least Japan is a wealthy government. They can and should pay for this themselves.

What about all the need everywhere else? Haiti is a basket case. Pick almost any country in Africa. Other parts of Asia.

Any money raised would go a lot further in those countries. Implying the Stones need to do something in Japan I think is misdirected.
For Christ's sake, it was only a suggestion, not an imperative. Please forget about it, OK?

Yet you made the imperative first statement and then hang on to your suggestion like some teenage mall rat shrugging his shoulder and mumbling "just say'n".

Yes, we know you are just saying it was a suggestion now because it was a faulty imperative to begin with. This is like agreeing to disagree. You just want o be heard without thinking it through. You would be better off standing in a corner and shouting at the wall. I'm sure you will enjoy the echo.

SPellegrino...I'm just going to sit back in awe. You've very effectively closed the subject.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:04

SPellegrino, an imperative is an order or something obligatory. No where did I state the Stones should or must do a benefit show, I only said why not do one? You assertion that my first statement was an imperative is not reflected in anything I have written here so your statement "you made the imperative first statement" is invalid. The intention from the outset was just an idea for the Stones to do something to help people of northern Honshu, who are still recovering from the Tohoku earthquake. Your statement "but where does it all end?" has nothing to do with the initial idea suggested here and so is a strawman fallacy. Whether the Stones choose to do a benefit show in Japan, or anywhere for that matter, is completely up to them and I said as much earlier. I can't see any point in discussing this matter any further as you have made your views most plain as I feel I have. Continue if you feel you must, but you will be shouting at the wall, to borrow your own phrase. Sayanora...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 19:18 by ChrisM.

Date: March 3, 2014 20:14

ChrisM
SPellegrino, an imperative is an order or something obligatory. No where did I state the Stones should or must do a benefit show, I only said why not do one? You assertion that my first statement was an imperative is not reflected in anything I have written here so your statement "you made the imperative first statement" is invalid. The intention from the outset was just an idea for the Stones to do something to help people of northern Honshu, who are still recovering from the Tohoku earthquake. Your statement "but where does it all end?" has nothing to do with the initial idea suggested here and so is a strawman fallacy. Whether the Stones choose to do a benefit show in Japan, or anywhere for that matter, is completely up to them and I said as much earlier. I can't see any point in discussing this matter any further as you have made your views most plain as I feel I have. Continue if you feel you must, but you will be shouting at the wall, to borrow your own phrase. Sayanora...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 4, 2014 00:03

SPellegrino
ChrisM

look, no need to get all exorcist on him SPellegrino!

Date: March 4, 2014 02:30

treaclefingers
SPellegrino
ChrisM

look, no need to get all exorcist on him SPellegrino!
I know I just like watching the heads spin.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: March 4, 2014 02:36

I'm really happy with Gimme Shelter, they sound really good and especially Mick is just incredible. I've said it before, but I really don't get the the whole dance around their "Vegas" Act thing. I'm unbelievably happy that they are all alive (but one, yes!), ready to play, and touring. And of course they play their greatest hits, I mean what else? They tour Japan for the first time in years and of course everyone wants to hear Brown Sugar and Satisfaction. They cannot not play the warhorses. These are signature songs that made them, if they had been playing only the Dance litte Sisters it would not haven been the same. Do I think the setlist could have more gems than it does, of course. But my overall joy will not fade away over this. I think us hardcore fans sometimes have to get some perspective on what we're watching. This is not some college band with a bunch of some good songs, but really a 51 year old institutio which really made its mark on the world and that still continues to play music around the world. Dylan and Springsteen can do what they want becasuse they are just one person basically. We all know it 's a little more complex.. With that in mind can easily forgive them for playing Let it Loose winking smiley And just imagine the reaction here if a live version wouldn't hold up to the exile one.. winking smiley Also, if a hardcore Beatles Fan walked into this Message Board, I guess he or she would not argue about small things in ight of the bigger picture. Monolloge finished, enjoy the second Tokio SHow

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2014 17:28

A friend of mine presented me an original poster from the first show.

Date: March 7, 2014 17:40

Toru A

wow, great poster Toru san.

A Ronnie enthusiast obviously!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 7, 2014 19:17

Toru A
cool...... very very cooool.

STONES!!

Keith Tokyo night one...OMG
Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: March 13, 2014 03:57

....how bad was that intro to Shelter...and that solo on SFTD? I just got done reviewing the boot,and I am shocked at how bad it was.

Please get Mick Taylor more involved. I suspect he is around as an insurance policy at this point,because Jagger has to know that Keef is pretty much done as a lead guitar player,and can draft Taylor for a lot more of the set if this deterioration continues...sad.

Re: Keith Tokyo night one...OMG
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 13, 2014 05:41

that is about as harsh as it gets.

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: March 13, 2014 05:49

Tokyo 26 Feb Gimme Shelter ... [www.youtube.com]

Tokyo 26 Feb Sympathy ... [www.youtube.com]

And yes, Keith's solo is a shocker for sure, but then again I'd love to still be on stage in front of tens of thousands of people and getting paid for it hamsomely when I'm Keef's age smileys with beer

Cheers
Mark
[rollingstoned.com.au]
[facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 05:52 by AussieMark.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 13, 2014 05:52

He messed up IORR pretty badly as I recall. But, he was good for much of the night, even though he was struggling. And, of course, he came back strong the second night.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 13, 2014 05:59

AussieMark
Tokyo 26 Feb Gimme Shelter ... [www.youtube.com]

Tokyo 26 Feb Sympathy ... [www.youtube.com]

And yes, Keith's solo is a shocker for sure, but then again I'd love to still be on stage in front of tens of thousands of people and getting paid for it handsomely when I'm Keef's age smileys with beer

If you look back to the Mick Taylor era versions these modern Gimme Shelter versions are so flabby and bloated. Its a devolution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-13 13:03 by triceratops.

Date: March 13, 2014 06:01

I'd love to know the reason why MT is dragged around the world, but not used.

It's a real shame.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 13, 2014 06:34

treaclefingers

It's a real shame.

Yes it is. Very unfortunate. I suppose they realize a lot of people just don't care one way or another.

Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: March 13, 2014 06:42

This is why I made this post...I love Keith,but,this is just embarrassing...how could anyone defend this is beyond me. he needs to step back and at the very least let Ronnie take over.

[www.bigozine2.com]

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 11:56

It's not just about the music though is it. People come to SEE Keith. He represents so much. Ironically in some ways it's like a return to the days when girls' screaming drowned out the sound of the band. For most people, when Keith steps to the front of the stage for a solo it's not about the execution of it at all - it's just the excitement of seeing Keith throwing the shapes and making some sounds. The rest of the band is clearly strong enough to cover his shortcomings, so for most of the casual concert attendee Keith's decline playing-wise probably goes unnoticed.

As for MT - I think it's great that he's 'part' of the band again. Slightly odd that he is a permanent fixture on the tour for just 15 odd minutes a night - but again for the majority it would be weird to see a 3rd guitarist on stage for more than just a guest slot.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:20

Well said Roll73 - I guess it's about expectation. I wonder if keith is only embarrassing if one is judging his performance on the basis of his ability to play to the technical standard at which he used to play, rather than watching with amazement to see what he actually can do with what he has left!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:15

SweetThing
treaclefingers

It's a real shame.

Yes it is. Very unfortunate. I suppose they realize a lot of people just don't care one way or another.

I don't know ... perhaps a lot of concert-goers are casual fans who barely know Mick Taylor or thinks it's weird that they have a third guitarist on some songs. But it's reasonable to think that the band plays for themselves as well. It's indeed very unfortunate that Mick & Keith don't value Mick Taylor's role more.

Roll73
but again for the majority it would be weird to see a 3rd guitarist on stage for more than just a guest slot.
Maybe so, but they should give him at least 4-5 songs where he can really do his thing. Sway, Gimme Shelter, CYHMK, Love In Vain, All Down the Line, Winter, ... even some of the regular warhorses could be a lot more interesting with his input, like Sympathy or Brown Sugar.

Maybe it really is Mick Jagger who holds Taylor back -- maybe that's why Keith brought him in on Slipping Away. Taylor could play a mean lead guitar on Happy as well, if you ask me.

Date: March 13, 2014 13:23

treaclefingers

It's a real shame.

He's not used during the 25 minutes (more than a fourth of the show effectively) he's on stage? winking smiley

Date: March 13, 2014 13:25

Roll73
It's not just about the music though is it. People come to SEE Keith. He represents so much. Ironically in some ways it's like a return to the days when girls' screaming drowned out the sound of the band. For most people, when Keith steps to the front of the stage for a solo it's not about the execution of it at all - it's just the excitement of seeing Keith throwing the shapes and making some sounds. The rest of the band is clearly strong enough to cover his shortcomings, so for most of the casual concert attendee Keith's decline playing-wise probably goes unnoticed.

As for MT - I think it's great that he's 'part' of the band again. Slightly odd that he is a permanent fixture on the tour for just 15 odd minutes a night - but again for the majority it would be weird to see a 3rd guitarist on stage for more than just a guest slot.

25 minutes, which is more than a fourth of the show effectively smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:25

Roll73

Yep, but where do you draw the line? Look at what's happening with Chuck Berry these days, he's a total embarrassment as a musician but people are still paying to SEE him and many/most say they had a great time after the show.

Obviously (?) cooler heads will prevail in the Stones' camp...having said that maybe they should work on a way of having Taylor "ramp up" and play some of Keith's more difficult parts. I know this sounds crazy but would the casual concert attendee even notice if he played the GS intro next to Keith strumming?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 13, 2014 13:30

Roll73
... - but again for the majority it would be weird to see a 3rd guitarist on stage for more than just a guest slot.

Really? I doubt if many people would care at all if the band sounded good, be it fans or casual concertgoers. Many bands have additional musicians on stage, think only of Ollie Brown on the 1975/76 tours who sat prominently behind Charlie.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home