Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Date: February 27, 2014 15:21

I sense a strong will by Keith here to play the right notes and a coherent melody on his two Sympathy soli from Tokyo. Also on Sympathy in Abu Dhabi he seemed to be willing to avoid wrong notes! I much appreciate, that he tries, and it shows. It's not perfect, but much better than many on videos from last tour. I'm very happy about this and think he deserves some credit for this (together with the encouragement to keep on with his effort)!

I'm not a guitar player nor a musician, so maybe somebody with knowledge and a good ear can comment, but aren't there notes in this solo, he rarely got right? For example, isn't this passage that often sounded way of tune somehow, better: second, short video, notes around 0:36-0:40?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 16:03 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 27, 2014 15:22

So my neighbor, a japanese lady going to the 3 shows by herself, told me she heard the 2nd show would be filmed for Japanese TV. She had no source or what, but the fact that WOWOW pay tv is a sponsor, this would not be too far fetched. Apparently they do this more often and show the show in a couple of month to their subscribers...

Date: February 27, 2014 15:26

Peterh
So my neighbor, a japanese lady going to the 3 shows by herself, told me she heard the 2nd show would be filmed for Japanese TV. She had no source or what, but the fact that WOWOW pay tv is a sponsor, this would not be too far fetched. Apparently they do this more often and show the show in a couple of month to their subscribers...

The audience would probably be in for a treat, then? Maybe they'll pull out a couple of obscure songs for this show...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2014 15:30

muenke
Hi guys! Someone mentioned, that one of the next Tokyo-Shows will be taped for TV? Any more infos concerning that issue?

3/4 will be a run through.
McCartney's Tokyo Dome show in last November is sceduled for pay TV coming March 22.
I guess Stones show will be shown before FIFA worldcup.

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: February 27, 2014 15:52

StrawberriesBlueberries
I sense a strong will by Keith here to play the right notes and a coherent melody on his two Sympathy soli from Tokyo. Also on Sympathy in Abu Dhabi he seemed to be willing to avoid wrong notes! I much appreciate, that he tries, and it shows. It's not perfect, but much better than many on videos from last tour. I'm very happy about this and think he deserves some credit for this (together with the encouragement to keep on with his effort)!

I'm not a guitar player nor a musician, so maybe somebody with knowledge and a good ear can comment, but aren't there notes in this solo, he rarely got right, a passage that often sounded way of tune somehow (like in the second, short video the notes around 0:36-0:40)?

You just reminded me of a line from the late great Eric Morcambe, who joked about his piano playing:
"I AM playing the right notes- just not necessarily in the right order!" ;-)

Date: February 27, 2014 16:00

MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

I'm not a guitar player nor a musician, so maybe somebody with knowledge and a good ear can comment, but aren't there notes in this solo, he rarely got right, a passage that often sounded way of tune somehow (like in the second, short video the notes around 0:36-0:40)?

You just reminded me of a line from the late great Eric Morcambe, who joked about his piano playing:

In other words, you don't agree, that he sounds better?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 16:15 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:12

Toru A
muenke
Hi guys! Someone mentioned, that one of the next Tokyo-Shows will be taped for TV? Any more infos concerning that issue?

3/4 will be a run through.
McCartney's Tokyo Dome show in last November is sceduled for pay TV coming March 22.
I guess Stones show will be shown before FIFA worldcup.

Hi and Thanks ... Don´t forget to press the "record-button" when it´s on TV over there in Japan! Have a great time ... smileys with beer

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:17

StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

In other words, you don't agree, that it sounds better?

No- I think he's doing MUCH better than 2007 in particular & I DO agree that he's doing his best. I don't like to put the guy down, as I'm a long-term fan. But it does make me sad to see him trying SO hard to play nowadays. I'm a guitar-player myself & I can empathise with how he must feel. I mean- he MUST know that his playing ability has diminished. Having said that: a 'good' solo isn't down to how many notes you play.
I think these last Stones shows (which I'm sure they will be) should rightly be enjoyed by the people who attend them- as has been said. They shouldn't be analyzed to death, over-scrutinised etc & I'm SURE if I was THERE I'd be caught-up in the whole 'event'. Watching footage just highlights various things. I saw 2 shows in 2006/07 & came away ecstatic, but when I heard the recordings later, it was like hearing a different performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 16:38 by MrsHop.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:19

rubyT
bv
I noticed very few cameras or phones in use, and every time someone tried to make a photo, one of the many security people said No and asked for the camera not to be used. That way it was much more easy to see the band and not thousands of cameras. I don't mind someone in front of me snapping a picture or a few ones, but holding up the phone or camera for entire songs to make youtube clips is sort of offensive I think. I did not go to the show to see a lot of cameras i the air.
I agree with you BV. In Abu Dhabi,some people in front of me spent all the concert filming every song. I could only see the band through a forest ( I could say a Wood..) of arms. Added to the height of the stage, AD won't be my best memory

Hear hear...this is so annoying. I'm full of admiration for Ty Taylor of Vintage Trouble, he told the crowd after a few numbers in London 2012... "OK it's great to take a few shots or bit of film for your memories but let's put them away now and just all enjoy the music and being together here now...and have a good time" Or words to that effect. Wise words.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:40

exhpart
rubyT
bv
I noticed very few cameras or phones in use, and every time someone tried to make a photo, one of the many security people said No and asked for the camera not to be used. That way it was much more easy to see the band and not thousands of cameras. I don't mind someone in front of me snapping a picture or a few ones, but holding up the phone or camera for entire songs to make youtube clips is sort of offensive I think. I did not go to the show to see a lot of cameras i the air.
I agree with you BV. In Abu Dhabi,some people in front of me spent all the concert filming every song. I could only see the band through a forest ( I could say a Wood..) of arms. Added to the height of the stage, AD won't be my best memory

Hear hear...this is so annoying. I'm full of admiration for Ty Taylor of Vintage Trouble, he told the crowd after a few numbers in London 2012... "OK it's great to take a few shots or bit of film for your memories but let's put them away now and just all enjoy the music and being together here now...and have a good time" Or words to that effect. Wise words.

The joy of taking constant "print screens" of what your eyeballs project to your brain is sort of unconscious obsessive behavior these days. I hope its just a fashion (so our grand kids would one day regard this early 3rd millennium behavior seen in any retro movie the same way we see the cigarettes out grandparents held in their fingers in practically any photo they were caught in...). However: I'm afraid it aint gonna disappear. When I was a child cameras, and film processing in my homeland were expensive. Still I recall watching on TV events such as the opening ceremony of the LA 1984 Olympics and was amazed to see that many many people took shots of the ceremony, when in dark, even though I guess most pictures they ended up getting were crap. People tend to find some emotional aspect in pictures "I TOOK".

Date: February 27, 2014 16:49

MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

In other words, you don't agree, that it sounds better?

No- I think he's doing MUCH better than 2007 in particular & I DO agree that he's doing his best. I don't like to put the guy down, as I'm a long-term fan. But it does make me sad to see him trying SO hard to play nowadays. I'm a guitar-player myself & I can empathise with how he must feel. I mean- he MUST know that his playing ability has diminished. Having said that: a 'good' solo isn't down to how many notes you play.

I agree, it's sad. But if he tries, there is the chance he will play better, and he did play some good things during their latest tour. Also I much prefer him trying to fooling or posing around, because this way you can't accuse him of not doing his best.

I'm sure he knows, maybe that's why he hadn't touched a guitar for so long before 50&Counting. I was shocked, when I read an interview (2010, I think), where he said, he hasn't played for two years and called himself an entertainer more than a musician. Still think, there was some sort of crisis for him around 2007 (lots of not very pleasent stuff happend in his life around this year, from what I read).

About "a 'good' solo isn't down to how many notes you play", I think you're right, because I loved Keith's short, but sharp solo on Going Down with Jeff Beck in 2012.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:53

They need to mix it up

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 27, 2014 16:58

StrawberriesBlueberries

I'm not a guitar player nor a musician, so maybe somebody with knowledge and a good ear can comment, but aren't there notes in this solo, he rarely got right? For example, isn't this passage that often sounded way of tune somehow, better: second, short video, notes around 0:36-0:40?

Yes, I agree that he is obviously trying to do his best.

Maybe he or somebody near him has read the messages here during the 2013 tour...

I hope he can even make it better and he really deserves credit for his efforts even by now.

It seems he is really trying to concentrate on playing in other songs too though sometimes there are little mistakes which are really not such bad.

I don't know if he has some problems with his fingers (the joints of his fingers) but hope not.

Keep up the good work Keith!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 16:59 by rollingon.

Date: February 27, 2014 16:58

StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

I agree that he SOUNDS better. He's not necessarily playing remarkably better, maybe a little. But his sound is fatter than when the last tour started.

Keith's SFTD-motif(s) is percussive, and he doesn't even try to play melodies or longer fills. It's merely rhythmic fragments that he tries to fit to the groove.

On other songs, like IORR and more recently, Slipping Away, he is playing more traditional solos (even though he plays very few notes on the latter).

We won't see Tie You Up- or Still Life Let Me Go-solos anymore from Keith, but he has improved a lot after the last leg of the BB-tour, imo.

He did a mean blues solo when Jeff Beck guested in London on the first 50&counting tour-show, though thumbs up

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 27, 2014 17:02

DandelionPowderman
StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

I agree that he SOUNDS better. He's not necessarily playing remarkably better, maybe a little. But his sound is fatter than when the last tour started.

Keith's SFTD-motif(s) is percussive, and he doesn't even try to play melodies or longer fills. It's merely rhythmic fragments that he tries to fit to the groove.

On other songs, like IORR and more recently, Slipping Away, he is playing more traditional solos (even though he plays very few notes on the latter).

We won't see Tie You Up- or Still Life Let Me Go-solos anymore from Keith, but he has improved a lot after the last leg of the BB-tour, imo.

He did a mean blues solo when Jeff Beck guested in London on the first 50&counting tour-show, though thumbs up

Let Me Go - solo in 81/82 - tour is maybe the best guitar solo Keith has EVER played live in any song, it is an absolutely mean solo. For example Live at Leeds -82.

Date: February 27, 2014 17:04

Agree totally!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 27, 2014 17:08

Dandelion, i fully agree to your analysis about Keith!

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 27, 2014 17:27

Wowow Promotional Flyer distributed to attendees

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 17:37 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 17:32

Right

DandelionPowderman
StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

Okay, maybe "melody" isn't the right word. But the Sympathy solo he plays nevertheless has some kind of coherence and structure and one can partially hum along with it. But sometimes there seems to be no structure, more playing what he somehow can manage and rather comes out by accident. I thought, he is better here in keeping it together as well as in staying in tune (with exceptions). Hope, that makes any sense smiling smiley .

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()

Ronnie Wood Raw Instinct Japan Promotional Flyer distributed to attendees

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 27, 2014 17:36

StrawberriesBlueberries

During the latest leg of the tour, on the second solo he used to try hard to play on a higher octave, whith often unremarkable results. In these two concerts he seemed to stick to a more comfortable pattern throughout the solo, which is a good solution, at this stage of the game.

Date: February 27, 2014 17:51

Wild Slivovitz
StrawberriesBlueberries

During the latest leg of the tour, on the second solo he used to try hard to play on a higher octave, whith often unremarkable results. In these two concerts he seemed to stick to a more comfortable pattern throughout the solo, which is a good solution, at this stage of the game.

That's exactly one of the things I'm thinking of! In Abu Dhabi he very shortly tried to play these notes, but realized it would not work and then decided to not play them in favour of the overall picture of his playing. That's what I meant with a will to play well. I sensed a few moments, where at least to me it feels like he corrects himself just in time, before it will sound horrible, what he sometimes didn't seem to care about. Also the already mentioned focussed expression. He also wanted to sound well on Slipping Away in Abu Dhabi and restarted the song because of that ("I want to do it right for you".).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 17:53 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 27, 2014 18:35

Deutschmike
Nö One knows the Hotel in Tokio whehre the guys are ?

I don't know and those who do will never tell you at this web site. It's an unwritten policy here in an attempt to protect the band's security and privacy.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: February 27, 2014 18:39

Osteo-Arthritis is a bitch. I'm amazed he can play as well as he does. I know people who suffer from it and they cannot bend some of the joints in their fingers.

StrawberriesBlueberries
Wild Slivovitz
StrawberriesBlueberries

That's exactly one of the things I'm thinking of! In Abu Dhabi he very shortly tried to play these notes, but realized it would not work and then decided to not play them in favour of the overall picture of his playing. That's what I meant with a will to play well. I sensed a few moments, where at least to me it feels like he corrects himself just in time, before it will sound horrible, what he sometimes didn't seem to care about. Also the already mentioned focussed expression. He also wanted to sound well on Slipping Away in Abu Dhabi and restarted the song because of that ("I want to do it right for you".).

Date: February 27, 2014 18:42

StrawberriesBlueberries
DandelionPowderman
StrawberriesBlueberries
MrsHop
StrawberriesBlueberries

Okay, maybe "melody" isn't the right word. But the Sympathy solo he plays nevertheless has some kind of coherence and structure and one can partially hum along with it. But sometimes there seems to be no structure, more playing what he somehow can manage and rather comes out by accident. I thought, he is better here in keeping it together as well as in staying in tune (with exceptions). Hope, that makes any sense smiling smiley .

Absolutely smileys with beer

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2014 18:43

StrawberriesBlueberries
Wroclaw

All right then, I guess. Anyway this video is included several post above as one from Tokyo...

Maybe Green Lady will remove it to correct her error? I didn't notice myself at first, but when I clicked to watch this video on Youtube, not here, I did.

VIDEO REMOVED DUE TO STUPIDITY OF POSTER WHO CAN'T TELL ABU DHABI FROM TOKYO.

Would every one please insert the above wording in their quotings of the relevant post?

Green Lady's video-hunting licence has been withdrawn for gross incompetence.

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 18:43

From the stills and some of the videos, it seems like Mick and Keith are interacting much more on stage.

They seemed so icy toward each other on the 50 and counting shows. Started to see some thaw in Glastonbury and it looks like things have improved.

Not sure why it's so important to me that 2 70 year old millionaires are friendly with each other but, as a life long fan of these guys, I'm just happy that they seem to be in a good place w each other.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 27, 2014 18:57

Green Lady

Would every one please insert the above wording in their quotings of the relevant post?

grinning smiley

We love you!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 27, 2014 19:04

kleermaker
Green Lady

grinning smiley

We love you!

We do!

Your license is still intact, Green Lady. A few mistakes are no big deal, especially when it's someone whose effforts here add so much to the enjoyment of this forum. Where would we be without your good organizational skills? smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home