Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 27, 2014 10:18

Toru A
I saw Chuck Berry in his forties.
He didn't intend to play the guitar well or harmonise with the band.

By contrast,
Keith definitely orchestrated the band yesterday.
He could play the guitar like a ringing a bell.

I do totally agree. Keith had the band in his hand all through the show in Tokyo Dome, and as usual Keith saved the best for the last hour. He is a long distance player, need some warming up on stage, but once he is warm, Mick has to drag Keith off stage.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2014 10:24

I noticed audience generation was well diversified.
To my surprise and delight, there were many fans in twenties or thirties.
Cute fashion model girl next my seat was singing along to every song.
That was way beyond my expectation considering ticket price and the history of the band.

I hope Japanese younger generation will get stimulated and inspired by the energy of those in their seventies.

Posted by: rubyT ()
Date: February 27, 2014 10:43

bv
I noticed very few cameras or phones in use, and every time someone tried to make a photo, one of the many security people said No and asked for the camera not to be used. That way it was much more easy to see the band and not thousands of cameras. I don't mind someone in front of me snapping a picture or a few ones, but holding up the phone or camera for entire songs to make youtube clips is sort of offensive I think. I did not go to the show to see a lot of cameras i the air.
I agree with you BV. In Abu Dhabi,some people in front of me spent all the concert filming every song. I could only see the band through a forest ( I could say a Wood..) of arms. Added to the height of the stage, AD won't be my best memory

Date: February 27, 2014 10:49

LuxuryStones
EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

That's about 15 = 75% of the songs, released before 1975, performed without Taylor. drinking smiley

And 17 out of the 20 songs didn't feature Taylor on guitar originally winking smiley

Things are brewing now. Either Sway, CYHMK or ST is coming up soon...

Date: February 27, 2014 11:04

It is true that the Tokyo Dome show number one had these characteristics:

- 99% local fans (not majority of foreign fans like in Abu Dhabi)
- Many younger fans i.e. next generations coming
- Mix of male and female fans

This was the same for the show I remember in Oslo of the last tour. New generations with fresh fans bring in some new vitality into the show. In some markets there is almost zero new fans, then the crowd just get older and older. Nothing wrong with old people but a good show need a great mix of fans.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: February 27, 2014 11:19

Green Lady

Gimme Shelter (complete)

Hate to whine but seems as if Jaggers voice on Gimme Shelter might be the new "Scarf me up".... what the hell happens there?

Anyway - I guess Keith might regard this song as "guarded private ground" but I think that even for his 1 full song in lead per show - Taylor could be of great use for this one. Its not that I dont like it (how it was done in the last 2 shows) but there's kind of a miss. Keith's melodic playing at the last part of the song - great, but the rest is rather inconsistent and when adding Jaggers strange singing that sometimes seems to be out of tune - you get the feeling its a miss. Just my opinion...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 11:20 by Wroclaw.

Date: February 27, 2014 11:37

Wroclaw
Green Lady

Gimme Shelter (complete)

Hate to whine but seems as if Jaggers voice on Gimme Shelter might be the new "Scarf me up".... what the hell happens there?

Anyway - I guess Keith might regard this song as "guarded private ground" but I think that even for his 1 full song in lead per show - Taylor could be of great use for this one. Its not that I dont like it (how it was done in the last 2 shows) but there's kind of a miss. Keith's melodic playing at the last part of the song - great, but the rest is rather inconsistent and when adding Jaggers strange singing that sometimes seems to be out of tune - you get the feeling its a miss. Just my opinion...

This has to be the Abu Dhabi version, no??

Mick had trouble with his (in ear) monitor on that one. If this is the Tokyo version, and he had problems there again on this number, it would be hilarious!

The rest of the songs he sings beautifully. He is a quarter pitch above the band here.

Date: February 27, 2014 11:42

DandelionPowderman
Wroclaw
Green Lady

Gimme Shelter (complete)

Mick had trouble with his (in ear) monitor on that one. If this is the Tokyo version, and he had problems there again on this number, it would be hilarious!

The rest of the songs he sings beautifully. He is a quarter pitch above the band here.

Yes, the description of the video says it's Abu Dhabi. I hope, they played and sang it a lot better in Tokyo.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: February 27, 2014 11:47

DandelionPowderman
Wroclaw
Green Lady

Gimme Shelter (complete)

All right then, I guess. Anyway this video is included several post above as one from Tokyo...

Date: February 27, 2014 11:50

Thanks. That got me worried for a sec there smiling smiley

Date: February 27, 2014 11:51

Wroclaw

All right then, I guess. Anyway this video is included several post above as one from Tokyo...

Maybe Green Lady will remove it to correct her error? I didn't notice myself at first, but when I clicked to watch this video on Youtube, not here, I did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 11:55 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: February 27, 2014 11:55

It doesn't happen very often that Mick sings off key like this.

It happened on Glastonbury with 2000 LYFH, though.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:00

DandelionPowderman

Yes that it happened there is a pity, because it was such a special song with a special atmosphere. Sometimes it happens on Sympathy. When you say this is because of troubles with his monitor, how do you know this to be the reason? Or is it your assumption?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 27, 2014 12:10

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

That's about 15 = 75% of the songs, released before 1975, performed without Taylor. drinking smiley

And 17 out of the 20 songs didn't feature Taylor on guitar originally winking smiley

So what? Neither did Ron. But that's not my point. The outcome of the brewing is too predictable I think. A bit of variety wouldn't do any harm, imo.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 12:22

2014 Best show ever? oh my god.....

Date: February 27, 2014 12:28

StrawberriesBlueberries
DandelionPowderman

Yes that it happened there is a pity, because it was such a special song with a special atmosphere. Sometimes it happens on Sympathy. When you say this is because of troubles with his monitor, how do you know this to be the reason? Or is it your assumption?

I'm a singer myself, and when you consequently sing "correctly" off key - you don't hear the root note properly.

It could be other reasons, but most likely it's that - because he only had this problem on this particular song.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:31

wicked67
2014 Best show ever? oh my god.....

Who said best show ever?

Bjornulf

Date: February 27, 2014 12:31

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

So what? Neither did Ron. But that's not my point. The outcome of the brewing is too predictable I think. A bit of variety wouldn't do any harm, imo.

I'm just pulling your leg - although Ron played on seven of the originals smiling smiley

It might be a little late for variety, but who knows? Maybe they'll pull out Silver Train AND Till The Next Goodbye in one set? It would certainly freshen things up a bit, if the songs go down well, that is.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:40

Pulling my leg? smiling smiley No need to. I remember an interview with MT were he said: "I left the Stones a long time ago, get over it". I think that's good advice - lots of old boots in my collection. But there's always this bit of hope for a final "blow the roof off" for 45 minutes with MicK T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 12:42 by LuxuryStones.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:49

Unfortunately, I don't think there won't be as much as a crack in the ceiling with Silver Train.

The only "chance" for Taylor to be able to express himself freely (if one prefers that) is to be given a "free pass" to play during the whole show, imo.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:51

LuxuryStones
Pulling my leg? smiling smiley No need to. I remember an interview with MT were he said: "I left the Stones a long time ago, get over it". I think that's good advice - lots of old boots in my collection. But there's always this bit of hope for a final "blow the roof off" for 45 minutes with MicK T.

I think it's particularily hard for Taylor fans to follow his advice and "get over it", when he actually decided to take part in a Stones tour.

Date: February 27, 2014 12:59

I like his role on Slipping Away, though. He is sort of tying things together, and plays some beautiful fills. It's potential in that, musically, imo.

Date: February 27, 2014 13:09

StrawberriesBlueberries
LuxuryStones

I think it's particularily hard for Taylor fans to follow his advice and "get over it", when he actually decided to take part in a Stones tour.

That's a tricky one.winking smiley

Date: February 27, 2014 13:12

DandelionPowderman
I like his role on Slipping Away, though. He is sort of tying things together, and plays some beautiful fills. It's potential in that, musically, imo.

I like, that it's really something new. An interesting idea to let Taylor play on a song that was written so many years after his departure.

While it's also an interesting and new element to have both Taylor and Wood play Midnight Rambler and the other songs Taylor plays on now, with Slipping away it's the other way round: It's a Wood era song, Taylor has never played before, the others are pre-Wood songs.

Date: February 27, 2014 13:20

DandelionPowderman
Unfortunately, I don't think there won't be as much as a crack in the ceiling with Silver Train.

The only "chance" for Taylor to be able to express himself freely (if one prefers that) is to be given a "free pass" to play during the whole show, imo.

That would be great DP, just for one concert, and then I could close the Stones book, and rest in peace. smiling smiley

Date: February 27, 2014 13:30

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

That would be great DP, just for one concert, and then I could close the Stones book, and rest in peace. smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 27, 2014 13:37

"The only real impact musically is Mick T and Jagger on MR. Why not use him on more songs and add some real punch into a very , very weak guitar mix. The stones became the greatest band when Taylor got them to rock and we could compete with LZ and the others, but sadly, since he left we have, with few exceptions become a very soft band. The weaving has not worked and instead sounds like one guitar trying unsuccessfully play lead. The true weaving was MT and KR when he as able to play."

What a crock of s**te.

Soft?!?!?! Weaving better with Taylor??

You lost your ears pal??? Clearly you don't get what the band is about if you bring up Led "about 6 good songs" Zep in your comparison.

Date: February 27, 2014 13:41

Let's listen to some "soft" rock! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2014 14:06

From TV news footage.

Look at an interview with a boy at the 1:07 mark.
The indomitable boy! Great!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 27, 2014 14:42

Hi guys! Someone mentioned, that one of the next Tokyo-Shows will be taped for TV? Any more infos concerning that issue?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1207
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home