Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:14

Yesterday was my 23rd or 24th Stones show at Tokyo Dome. (I don't remember exactly)

Get Off Of My Cloud
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
Tumbling Dice

This triple rocket launcher really blew my mind.
Perfect three-strand kick off for us Japanese.smiling smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:18

mtaylor
ROPENI
mtaylor
ROPENI
paulywaul
EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....
ROPENI - you make me think of Quasimodo in the movie saying "Sanctuary". You repeat yourself all the time. Just substitute "sanctuary" with "nostalgia act".
Hey Mtaylor,for my next post just 4 u, l will get new words,to describe The Stones,and l promise l will not use "Nostalgia Act" to describe them,Would "Vegas Act" be more to your liking??,but you also have the option of just not reading my posts,you have a nice afternoon...drinking smiley
Sanctuary, sanctuary - I don't hope you like him, then you're in deep shit. Both @#$%& up inside and outside....
Oh mylord Mtaylor, you surely have a way with words,keep up the good work...smiling bouncing smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: TokyoStones ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:51

Hi all,

I've been visiting this forum for quite a while but this is my first post (well I think)...1st Stones Show in 90 in Paris and last one (to date) yesterday in Tokyo....and quite a few other shows in between !!!!

In all honesty and objectivity, this was a GREAT show....MJ is MJ as always, Keith was fery focused, did not move / walk around much and completly gave up the "posing", Charlie excellent and Ronnie very good too....I was worried about the sound but this was OK too although not perfect...I remember reading some posts people saying that, in a dome, they would not know which song was being played so I was really worried....but no, I could really tell which song was being played...so this was OK too....

For me, the highlight was MR.... a real killer.I could listen to that song hours and hours..Jagger playing the harp "head to head" with Taylor was unbelievable !!!! Gimme Shelter, PIB were great too....."even" songs like HTW, BS, MY that I found a bit "boring" on previous tour were excellent....well I enjoyed all songs but TD (I think they could drop it) and BTMMR (a bit of a "hmmm what song is this ??")

As for the setlist, well what could I say....this is a 50.000 people show and you need to keep the atmosphere and audience alive....people (including me) want to hear the big hits....some people had never been to a Stones show before, some will never go again....this is what they want...so "Silver Train"...well maybe 10 people in the audience would know Silver Train (which, for me, is just an OK song)...For instance, it was really good hearing "ER" but my guess is that half of the audience did not know it...I enjoyed the song but I have to say the atmosphere was a bit "flat" then...so I am just wondering what it would be with ST or any other rare rarities ! I'd love to hear rarities in a small club but not in a "stadium"...

It should also go without saying but I realised that watching a show on youtube and watching a show live is like living in 2 different worlds....it's good to have a few videos from time to time but, for me now, too much is too much...this it will never capture and render the live experience....so, please, do not judge a show from a "smartphone youtube video"...

These 2 hours went really too fast...so that must be a good sign !

So, what I would like to say is "Go to the show(s) and ENJOY" (and do not over-analyse too much !!!)..

pS; I think someone wrote that they only sell "Tour Programme" inside the dome...no, they also sell T-Shirts and everything you need (food, beverages)....so no need to queue for hours outside the dome, just get inside "early" and you could buy your "Geisha" T-shirt before you know it !!! (that is what I did !)

Cheers !

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: February 27, 2014 02:52

Brstonesfan
Slipping away has no business at a Stadium show Keith!!!! It totally slows the momentum of the shows. Stick with Happy and BFTMMR. This is getting embarrassing,

maybe he thinks it is appropriate, as they slip into old age, and their physical abilities decline, to play a song like 'slipping away'. i think it's from the heart. i am thankful for every day that keith richards picks up the guitar.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:12

Toru A
Yesterday was my 23rd or 24th Stones show at Tokyo Dome. (I don't remember exactly)

Get Off Of My Cloud
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
Tumbling Dice

This triple rocket launcher really blew my mind.
Perfect three-strand kick off for us Japanese.smiling smiley

Last night was their 26th show there. All since 1990. They've now played there more than any other arena/stadium in their career (MSG is next at 25, including the two-song Hurricane Sandy set) - although several early London clubs saw more appearances (Studio 51 in London being #1)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:13

bbeliko
Gazza
kleermaker
Gazza
That tends to happen in an Asian country of about 125 million people

Well, Abu Dabi is in Arabic land I suppose, but I didn't see many Arabics on the pics. So it's not that simple. Western Stones tourism is a big business these days.

Asia is the biggest continent on earth. Theres a world of difference culturally between Japan (where western music is massive with the local population) and Arab countries and China (where it isnt)

It's not about western music being available or not, it has to do with the fact that in the UAE, depending on who you ask, between 75% to 90% of the population are expats. With 40,000 Americans, over 240,000 Brits, 20,000+ canadians, etc, it's not hard to see why the crowd in the UAE looked like your average european/american crowd.

Its well thats kinda my point (I didnt say it wasnt available..I said its not 'massive'). An audience in Abu Dhabi isnt going to be primarily from the UAE as most residents arent Asian. Why its a surprise that an audience in Japan is mostly Japanese people is a bit bewildering

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 03:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:21

What's the story with no cameras in the Tokyo Dome? Obviously there are a number of photos posted. Is there a search? What if you have one...or a phone?

Posted by: TokyoStones ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:30

"Big cameras" won't go through...they will be kept until the en of the show (although sometimes the security check is very light)....smartphones and other are ok...but staff in the venue keep walking around with big signs saying "no pics or you are out"....so just take pics at the end of the show...you'll be out soon anyway

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:45

It looks like a frontal modified weave?

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: February 27, 2014 04:59

We'll said Toykostones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 05:00 by copsnrobbers.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 27, 2014 05:00

I have never seen anyone thrown out of a Japan show for taking pictures with a phone. They come over to where you are and shine a penlight on you and ask you to stop. Most Japanese are just obedient and don't do it - similar to how most wait quietly until their section is called before exiting the arena. Amazing place.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: February 27, 2014 05:14

drbryant
I have never seen anyone thrown out of a Japan show for taking pictures with a phone. They come over to where you are and shine a penlight on you and ask you to stop. Most Japanese are just obedient and don't do it - similar to how most wait quietly until their section is called before exiting the arena. Amazing place.

The civility here is very nice, to be sure, when you are coming from a foreign country where people do not act with so much politeness. But many Japanese find the civility oppressive and it often masks what is a very brutal working culture.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 27, 2014 05:29

Let's be intellectually honest and admit these new shows so far been a disappointment . While we are grateful to still see them tour, when the best thing said about Keith is he didn't flub the intros it's not very encouraging. The only real impact musically is Mick T and Jagger on MR. Why not use him on more songs and add some real punch into a very , very weak guitar mix. The stones became the greatest band when Taylor got them to rock and we could compete with LZ and the others, but sadly, since he left we have, with few exceptions become a very soft band. The weaving has not worked and instead sounds like one guitar trying unsuccessfully play lead. The true weaving was MT and KR when he as able to play.
We can no longer get by with Keith AWOL. Jagger must realize it is very close to the end to allow this to continue. Our legacy is taking a hit every time we play
and people think that is what the Stones sound like.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 27, 2014 05:34

Deathgod
Great review BV. The band sound like they are rocking.
How was the stage ? Have they fixed the issues of those in front rows having an obstructed view ?

I think the stage was high, but not as high as in Abu Dhabi. The center walkway was higher than the security people in front of it, I would guess 2 meters (7 feet), so the main stage must have been 2.5 meters may be, slightly lower than Abu Dhabi. But in Japan they have large empty security areas in front of the stage, like 20 rows, so row one is actually not directly in the front. I would say the stage is fairly high but at least here they did not sell expensive tickets where you only see their heads, aand no Charlie...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: February 27, 2014 05:43

bv
Deathgod
Great review BV. The band sound like they are rocking.
How was the stage ? Have they fixed the issues of those in front rows having an obstructed view ?

I think the stage was high, but not as high as in Abu Dhabi. The center walkway was higher than the security people in front of it, I would guess 2 meters (7 feet), so the main stage must have been 2.5 meters may be, slightly lower than Abu Dhabi. But in Japan they have large empty security areas in front of the stage, like 20 rows, so row one is actually not directly in the front. I would say the stage is fairly high but at least here they did not sell expensive tickets where you only see their heads, aand no Charlie...

Thanks BV
Hopefully Adelaide is the same, I would rather Row A be back a few metres if it means we can actually see the show.
We have made promoters aware and hopefully the seat layout will be fantastic for all us Stones fans.

Date: February 27, 2014 05:44

6s7s9s
What's the story with no cameras in the Tokyo Dome? Obviously there are a number of photos posted. Is there a search? What if you have one...or a phone?

Everything like the print on the ticket, signs and messages are all in japanese, so I would not know what they say. But I noticed a security guy walking up the isle with a large sign in japanese and a picture of a camera with a large NO crossing like not allowed. So I kept my camera in my pocket for most of the show. The sign also said NO smartphones. So it was pretty clear that you should not obstruct the view with cameras.

I noticed very few cameras or phones in use, and every time someone tried to make a photo, one of the many security people said No and asked for the camera not to be used. That way it was much more easy to see the band and not thousands of cameras. I don't mind someone in front of me snapping a picture or a few ones, but holding up the phone or camera for entire songs to make youtube clips is sort of offensive I think. I did not go to the show to see a lot of cameras i the air.

Bjornulf

Date: February 27, 2014 05:50

Brstonesfan
Let's be intellectually honest and admit these new shows so far been a disappointment . While we are grateful to still see them tour, when the best thing said about Keith is he didn't flub the intros it's not very encouraging. The only real impact musically is Mick T and Jagger on MR. Why not use him on more songs and add some real punch into a very , very weak guitar mix. The stones became the greatest band when Taylor got them to rock and we could compete with LZ and the others, but sadly, since he left we have, with few exceptions become a very soft band. The weaving has not worked and instead sounds like one guitar trying unsuccessfully play lead. The true weaving was MT and KR when he as able to play.
We can no longer get by with Keith AWOL. Jagger must realize it is very close to the end to allow this to continue. Our legacy is taking a hit every time we play

Please speak for youself and not for others. I do not agree.

The show last night was great, and I have absolutely no worries about Keith. He is 70 years old, and if I can make as many people happy as him when I am 70 (like 50,000 people last night and 100,000 more next week) then I would not worry about any technical analysis of how the guitar style was in the past vs now. We all do get older, but most of us can live with age.

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 27, 2014 06:09

Toru A

That's incredible. You really should write a book or create a blog about it.
I would definitely find it to be interesting.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 27, 2014 06:10

Im really looking forward to seeing The Rolling Stones in Macau,cant wait.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2014 06:26

So I guess not many videos, then?

Sympathy

Slightly longer bit of Emotional Rescue

and a small spoonful of Brown Sugar

Gimme Shelter (complete)

VIDEO REMOVED DUE TO STUPIDITY OF POSTER WHO CAN'T TELL ABU DHABI FROM TOKYO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 18:40 by Green Lady.

Date: February 27, 2014 06:38

Brstonesfan
We can no longer get by with Keith AWOL. Jagger must realize it is very close to the end to allow this to continue. Our legacy is taking a hit every time we play and people think that is what the Stones sound like.

Oh, good grief. Look, some people do want more MT. I get it. I got it the first 10,000 times from the same 10 FANS who keep posting it to the IORR forum but frankly, unless you are a BAND MEMBER what's this "we" shit?

Nothing personal but this ain't your legacy - it's theirs! They have a right as artists to decide the show they wish to perform. If you don't like what MJ and the guys are presenting this time around you have the right to stay home.

For anyone who believes the band went soft 40 YEARS AGO change the channel already! The Rolling Stones will continue to roll on with or without you.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 07:09

I think "compete with Led Zeppelin" says a lot. Apples and oranges (or, to me, apples and something distasteful).

Date: February 27, 2014 07:42

StonedInTokyo
Toru A

It's not so special.
You Can't Judge a Book by number of attendances.smiling smiley

I think average stones fans are going to Tokyo Dome over 20 times .(plus 2 Mick's solo shows)

I'll go to Budokan tomorrow to see Eric Clapton.
He has played over 80 times at Budokan since 1974.eye popping smiley
I heard diehard Clapton fans have been completing every one of his shows at Budokan.
It's just incredible.

Posted by: Deutschmike ()
Date: February 27, 2014 08:45

Does anybody know the hotel whehre the Stones stay during their Tokyo week? I would like to visit that place on monday.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: February 27, 2014 08:48

Brstonesfan

>grinning smiley< 2014 ? Best show ever smoking smiley

Date: February 27, 2014 08:57

Toru A
StonedInTokyo
Toru A

It's not so special.

Well, if anything I think it's a testament to your passion and enthusiasm for this band. drbryant already holds tickets for Singapore, Macau, Australia & another Tokyo show and yet he too was there last night. I firmly believe this is precisely the type of energy from the audience that the band was feeding off of last night. Fans arguably don't make any impact upon a show on a fan forum, but they definitely can make all the difference at the venue on the night. The band's loyal Tokyo fan base was out in full force last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 08:58 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 27, 2014 09:00

Toru A
StonedInTokyo
Toru A

It's not so special.

I think average stones fans are going to Tokyo Dome over 20 times .(plus 2 Mick's solo shows)

Fantastic Toru! Have you seen any shows outside of Japan? Europe? US?

I'll go to Budokan tomorrow to see Eric Clapton.
He has played over 80 times at Budokan since 1974.eye popping smiley
I heard diehard Clapton fans have been completing every one of his shows at Budokan.
It's just incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 09:23 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: February 27, 2014 09:14

Excuse me for my bad english writing, I write through translation. But I think Keith has a strange look in his eyes.
Vriendelijke groet. Bert

Date: February 27, 2014 09:54

I saw Chuck Berry in his forties.
He didn't intend to play the guitar well or harmonise with the band.

By contrast,
Keith definitely orchestrated the band yesterday.
He could play the guitar like a ringing a bell.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 27, 2014 09:59

StonedInTokyo
Brstonesfan
We can no longer get by with Keith AWOL. Jagger must realize it is very close to the end to allow this to continue. Our legacy is taking a hit every time we play and people think that is what the Stones sound like.

Oh, good grief. Look, some people do want more MT. I get it. I got it the first 10,000 times from the same 10 FANS who keep posting it to the IORR forum but frankly, unless you are a BAND MEMBER what's this "we" shit?

Nothing personal but this ain't your legacy - it's theirs! They have a right as artists to decide the show they wish to perform. If you don't like what MJ and the guys are presenting this time around you have the right to stay home.

For anyone who believes the band went soft 40 YEARS AGO change the channel already! The Rolling Stones will continue to roll on with or without you.

Yes and MT is not a bandmember, he is a guest allowed to play on MR and Satisfaction and now also Slipping Away. Maybe they will dust off CYHMK and let him play that one as well. That's it.

It's always the same (old) persons screaming about Taylor and it's also very funny with all people screaming about the setlist, well are you all dumb? This was not unexpected? Setlist will be filled with 90% warhorses because that's what average fans want to hear. They wont play 10 new songs each night because they did so at rehearsals and they wont use MT for more than 1-3 songs. Some people can't handle the reality at all. My god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 10:24 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home