Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:40

Great review BV. The band sound like they are rocking.
How was the stage ? Have they fixed the issues of those in front rows having an obstructed view ?

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:41

[/quote]

The more posts DandelionPowderman makes on this board the better this board is. DandelionPowderman may be IORR's best member and in my opinion he does not post enough.[/quote]

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 23:17 by moonlightaffair.

Date: February 26, 2014 22:47

ok, that are the rules, but somehow me thinks..

almost always ... less is more PEACE!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 22:49 by TimeWaitsforNooooOne.

Date: February 26, 2014 22:52

Cheers, Timewaitsfornoooone! I promise to behave smileys with beer

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:58

watching these youtube videos reminds me why I can't stand seeing stadium shows, the sound in many parts of the facility is terrible and you are miles from the stage in many locations. thank goodness the US got arenas last year.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:59

Thanks Ronnie!

Date: February 26, 2014 22:59

we both know you won't but...

that's ok smileys with beer

and after that one...

smileys with beer

Date: February 26, 2014 23:02

Is this the best Wild Horses they have done in a while?

Date: February 26, 2014 23:02

drinking smiley

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:10

Who's sitting behind Chuck Leavell? He he!thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 23:13 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:14

One of the best Stadiums for a Stones Show i think...

Date: February 26, 2014 23:14

MarkSchneider
Who's sitting behind Chuck Leavell? He he!thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Tim Ries.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:15

ROPENI
mtaylor
ROPENI
paulywaul
EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....
ROPENI - you make me think of Quasimodo in the movie saying "Sanctuary". You repeat yourself all the time. Just substitute "sanctuary" with "nostalgia act".
Hey Mtaylor,for my next post just 4 u, l will get new words,to describe The Stones,and l promise l will not use "Nostalgia Act" to describe them,Would "Vegas Act" be more to your liking??,but you also have the option of just not reading my posts,you have a nice afternoon...drinking smiley
Sanctuary, sanctuary - I don't hope you like him, then you're in deep shit. Both @#$%& up inside and outside....

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:37

rogerriffin

LOL, Mick can't be heard in the mix (of the clip apparently
).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:46

kleermaker
Gazza
That tends to happen in an Asian country of about 125 million people

Well, Abu Dabi is in Arabic land I suppose, but I didn't see many Arabics on the pics. So it's not that simple. Western Stones tourism is a big business these days.

Asia is the biggest continent on earth. Theres a world of difference culturally between Japan (where western music is massive with the local population) and Arab countries and China (where it isnt)

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:47

DandelionPowderman

You were there to watch this "embarrassment"?
The reports from the first show said it was a highlight...

It's a different tempo ('Slipping Away') and so it takes a lot of courage to play this as part of a set that consists mainly of 'greatest hits'. There is some beautiful, heartfelt playing on that song by Mr Richards and the other guitarists.
So yes, it was a highlight - in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 00:12 by Chacal.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 00:14

keithglimmer
Maybe its just me but I don't think there's anything depressing about the stones playing the warhorses. They are the greatest rock & roll songs ever written & it makes me feel good just to know that the boys are out there kicking ass after all this time. They pretty much priced me out of seeing them unless they come to my hometown. In lieu of that I'll groove on Brown Sugar & Jumpin' Jack Flash every day of the week if they are playing it.

Yes. Silver Train is fun, and all of us here would like to hear MT play on it, but of course Bitch won the internet vote. It should. Only people who have seen the Stones countless times, or at least collect bootlegs, would vote differently on an objective basis. Gimme Shelter... Paint it Black... There are other people who might consider this setlist amazing. Like Bob Dylan said, if he goes to see Paul Simon, he wants to hear the Boxer (ironic as Bob plays mostly recent material). Of course Bob also plays about fifty gigs to every one the Stones do.

Date: February 27, 2014 00:19

Chacal
DandelionPowderman

You were there to watch this "embarrassment"?
The reports from the first show said it was a highlight...

It's a different tempo ('Slipping Away') and so it takes a lot of courage to play this as part of a set that consists mainly of 'greatest hits'. There is some beautiful, heartfelt playing on that song by Mr Richards and the other guitarists.
So yes, it was a highlight - in my opinion.

Exactly! And it serves its function in the setlist as You Got The Silver did last year, imo.

Date: February 27, 2014 00:30

Band introductions.

Look at Ronnie's reaction, when Mick Jagger says something in Japanese about him! What does he say, by the way, also about Lisa?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2014 00:50

StrawberriesBlueberries
Band introductions.

Look at Ronnie's reaction, when Mick Jagger says something in Japanese about him! What does he say, by the way, also about Lisa?

For Lisa: Her hair style is fabulous.
For Ronnie: Spazzy.(he was joking, of coursesmiling smiley)

Date: February 27, 2014 00:59

Toru A
StrawberriesBlueberries
Band introductions.

For Lisa: Her hair style is fabulous.
For Ronnie: Spazzy.(he was joking, of coursesmiling smiley)

Thanks! smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:13

Thru and Thru
Was this the only merchandise stand or were there other smaller ones throughout the venue like they usually have?

So far as I know the only merchandise sold inside the venue was the programs. If you wanted anything else you had to get in line for the merchandise tent
outside.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:15

Gazza
kleermaker
Gazza

Well, Abu Dabi is in Arabic land I suppose, but I didn't see many Arabics on the pics. So it's not that simple. Western Stones tourism is a big business these days.

Asia is the biggest continent on earth. Theres a world of difference culturally between Japan (where western music is massive with the local population) and Arab countries and China (where it isnt)

There are extremely many Chinese people who play western classical music though. But well, there was a bit of irony in my post which obviously didn't come across.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:23

drbryant
Keith struggled at times, and it was a little sad for me to see - I suppose as the years go by, it's inevitable

Hello, drbryant. I'm very pleased to hear you too were there. Somehow I had the feeling you would be. Agree with observation about Keith, who isn't riffing on the guitar so much as just picking at it. The dexterity isn't there anymore. I don't recall him striking his signature stage moves either. Even so, it seemed his heart was still in it. He looked happy and healthy which for too many years wasn't the case.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 01:26 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:23

Great pictures and thank you for the reports!!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:43

StonedInTokyo
The Sicilian
What is with the fans in the lines wearing masks?

By far the most common reason people in Japan wear surgical masks out in public is because they’re sick. Chances are it’s not some life threatening, dangerous and debilitating illness – they’re just wearing the mask to be considerate of others and to help contain the spread of germs. Just think about how many people cough or sneeze into their hands and then go on to touch the things we use every day. Door handles, guard rails, the poles and rings you hold onto on the subway. People touch a lot of stuff.

These surgical masks really help as far as containing germs and preventing the spread of contagious colds and illnesses. And people aren’t going to avoid you like the plague if you happen to be in a mask either. They’ll be more likely to avoid you if you aren’t wearing one (if you’re coughing up a storm that is). In most cases, you’ll be treated just like anyone else not wearing a mask.

Another reason you’ll see Japanese people wearing masks out in public is because they’re afraid of getting whatever illness that happens to be going around. Maybe it’s flu season or something and they’re just trying to avoid getting sick for the third year in a row because the hand sanitizer alone just isn’t cutting it.

Interesting comments. Having worked all over the Los Angeles area, the part of town where you see most people wearing masks is Little Tokyo by far. My wife who has many allergies will sometimes wear a mask and people who are not use to it will give her funny looks and walk in the opposite direction (no, she is not Asian).

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:49

BluzDude
StonedInTokyo
The Sicilian
What is with the fans in the lines wearing masks?

By far the most common reason people in Japan wear surgical masks out in public is because they’re sick. Chances are it’s not some life threatening, dangerous and debilitating illness – they’re just wearing the mask to be considerate of others and to help contain the spread of germs. Just think about how many people cough or sneeze into their hands and then go on to touch the things we use every day. Door handles, guard rails, the poles and rings you hold onto on the subway. People touch a lot of stuff.

These surgical masks really help as far as containing germs and preventing the spread of contagious colds and illnesses. And people aren’t going to avoid you like the plague if you happen to be in a mask either. They’ll be more likely to avoid you if you aren’t wearing one (if you’re coughing up a storm that is). In most cases, you’ll be treated just like anyone else not wearing a mask.

Another reason you’ll see Japanese people wearing masks out in public is because they’re afraid of getting whatever illness that happens to be going around. Maybe it’s flu season or something and they’re just trying to avoid getting sick for the third year in a row because the hand sanitizer alone just isn’t cutting it.

Interesting comments. Having worked all over the Los Angeles area, the part of town where you see most people wearing masks is Little Tokyo by far. My wife who has many allergies will sometimes wear a mask and people who are not use to it will give her funny looks and walk in the opposite direction (no, she is not Asian).

I've been there BluzDude. Sometimes I've used a mask when I'm cleaning out the garage. I have terrible allergies, six years of shots made it much better, but I still have to take a claritan almost every day. The worst is dustmites...I jokingly say I'm allergic to housework, but it's really true!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:57

EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

That's about 15 = 75% of the songs, released before 1975, performed without Taylor. drinking smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:59

Max'sKansasCity
KEITH IS the SAMURAI

My favorite sign!!!hot smiley

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:59

Gazza
kleermaker
Gazza

It's not about western music being available or not, it has to do with the fact that in the UAE, depending on who you ask, between 75% to 90% of the population are expats. With 40,000 Americans, over 240,000 Brits, 20,000+ canadians, etc, it's not hard to see why the crowd in the UAE looked like your average european/american crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 02:00 by bbeliko.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home