Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:18

This set list is DEPRESSING

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:29

mighty stork
From the reviews read I think this was a great show put on by the Stones tonight. By all accounts their playing was over par and there was a lot of energy. I wish so many would stop complaining that they played so many songs "again". These are great classic Stones songs and nobody can say it was a bad set because they played them. A real fan hears the slight differences in the performance of each song at every show they see and can enjoy that. As BV stated in his review there was a slight hiccup at the start of It's Only Rock & Roll but the band caught the tempo soon enough. Id don't expect them to be perfect every step of the way, if they were then I would complain that they are playing the same old thing. Enjoy it for what it is folks.

I love when the "real fan" statement is invoked. We're all "real" fans, otherwise why would we be here?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:30

The mask thing is not a big thing really. I hear if somebody has got a cold they simply wear a mask so that others will not cath that same cold. Many Japanese do wear a mask, it is just like having a hat, you don't really notice.

I think it is because they take more care of each other here. I was walking across some roads you are not supposed to walk over, like 6 lanes, and there are all these guys who take care of traffic, one of them blew the whistle, came over to me, stopped the traffic on all six lanes to Narita terminal two, so that I could safely cross. Sure I could have taken the airport bus, but I am a walking person. And they make sure you are not run over by a car, just like they have masks to prevent others from geetting sick. Nice.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:32

ROPENI
paulywaul
EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....
ROPENI - you make me think of Quasimodo in the movie saying "Sanctuary". You repeat yourself all the time. Just substitute "sanctuary" with "nostalgia act".

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:32

michaelsavage

Yes, it is.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:40

KEITH IS the SAMURAI

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:45

kuenzer
michaelsavage

Yes, it is.

LOL

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:51

Thanks so much to all from IORR who were there giving us all the up to date info. and reviews. smileys with beer

The tour has got off to a great start and I'm sure Tokyo 2 and 3 are gonna have a few differant songs as well as the old faves that I am looking forward to on the Europe tour.
Never been to Japan,but I wish I was in Tokyo now with all the Rolling Stones vibes around for the next week or more. winking smiley

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:00

Standard set list for a first show in a city. Let's see what happens for Tokyo 2 and 3. They may pull out some gems the way they did at Staples and Boston second shows last year.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:00

With tickets in hand for Macau, Singapore and Melbourne, I had planned to attend only one show on March 4 in Tokyo. Somehow, though, I couldn't bear the thought of the Rolling Stones playing a show fifteen minutes from my home and ended up buying a ticket last week. Something tells me I'll be in the audience on March 6 as well. It's out of my control. . . . .

My review isn't as enthusiastic as BV's or StonedinTokyo's. I thought that it was a solid show, but I had some reservations. First, Keith struggled at times, and it was a little sad for me to see - I suppose as the years go by, it's inevitable, and he did nail a few of the intros/solos later in the show, when I was fearing the worst, so perhaps he'll get more consistent as the tour moves forward. Second, I think stadium shows just tend to be a bit sloppy musically, and I thought that the new stage made it more difficult for the band. It's quite high, which requires a huge amount of space between the crowd and the front of the stage so that people in the front can see properly. Maybe it's my imagination, but I felt that Ronnie and Keith in particular weren't interacting much with the crowd possibly because they were so far away, and this affected their energy. Also, the Stones aren't really fit for a stadium stage any more. Mick uses the catwalk and the ramps to the sides of the stage well, trying his best to give folks their money's worth, but unlike the ABB tour, Keith and Ronnie never left center stage except to take one brief stroll down the catwalk during "Miss You".

There were highlights, of course, the best being Mick Taylor's playing on Midnight Rambler. BV seems to want to give this a 10/10. I'm probably closer to 6 or 7, but I would have a hard time giving any stadium show much higher than an 8-1/2.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:02

georgeV
Standard set list for a first show in a city. Let's see what happens for Tokyo 2 and 3. They may pull out some gems the way they did at Staples and Boston second shows last year.

Let's hope so!

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:05

Maybe its just me but I don't think there's anything depressing about the stones playing the warhorses. They are the greatest rock & roll songs ever written & it makes me feel good just to know that the boys are out there kicking ass after all this time. They pretty much priced me out of seeing them unless they come to my hometown. In lieu of that I'll groove on Brown Sugar & Jumpin' Jack Flash every day of the week if they are playing it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:14

fahthree
Max'sKansasCity
The opinions of people who were there, and rocking with The Stones, are the opinions which matter the most, I look forward to reading more of these. Thanks in advance.

Going forward these threads should be devoted to only those people who were there -- no setlist complainers or setlist praisers. The point of a message board is not to kill time arguing about stupid things, or is it?

I dunno. I do agree with Max. The most important thing are the comments from people who were actually AT a show. However, its perfectly natural that other people's decision to attend future shows may be determined on whether or not they feel there's enough freshness in the show's content or presentation to persuade them to part with a not inconsiderable wedge of cash to experience it. And if videos of the show are uploaded, then any comments on the performance, good or bad, are fair game.

Posted by: snibbs1234 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:20

Thanks all too the report and pics, brings the show alive.
one thing though i noticed at the this gig their were a lot of Asians ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:21

That tends to happen in an Asian country of about 125 million people! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 21:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:22

Hopefully comments on the setlists are allowed, no matter how the performance was.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:24

Gazza
That tends to happen in an Asian country of about 125 million people

Well, Abu Dabi is in Arabic land I suppose, but I didn't see many Arabics on the pics. So it's not that simple. Western Stones tourism is a big business these days.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:28

Ultimately it IS the opinion of the people who were there that matters. They lived it, and felt it. Fortunately we have so many people on here that haven seen them repeatedly that we won't be treated to the "Best Show Ever" -- we'll get legitmate reviews.

A discussion of the setlist is open game. We were all spoiled by the Licks Tour when they were willing to try things. The shows have gotten shorter and the list of songs "they have to play" has increased -- a bullshit notion, by the way, but a popular one here.

I look at it this way -- I love chicken but cannot eat it everyday. A little variety here and there makes the world go around. If I were a chef, I wouldn't want to prepare chicken every day.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 26, 2014 21:30

I will look forward to seeing/hearing Get Off My Cloud, Bitch and Doom & Gloom. The setlist is very likely the greatest collection of rocknroll songs of all time. The problem is that they get played every show. All phenomenal songs. Among many of our favorites, but simply overplayed. This is why REAL AC/DC fans love Powerage but hate Back In Black.

Emotional Rescue

Date: February 26, 2014 21:31

Satisfaction (misses the beginning)

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:05

Very disappointing set list. How can they waste Taylor on Slipping Away???

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:10

Slipping away has no business at a Stadium show Keith!!!! It totally slows the momentum of the shows. Stick with Happy and BFTMMR. This is getting embarrassing,

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:12

mtaylor
ROPENI
paulywaul
EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....
ROPENI - you make me think of Quasimodo in the movie saying "Sanctuary". You repeat yourself all the time. Just substitute "sanctuary" with "nostalgia act".
Hey Mtaylor,for my next post just 4 u, l will get new words,to describe The Stones,and l promise l will not use "Nostalgia Act" to describe them,Would "Vegas Act" be more to your liking??,but you also have the option of just not reading my posts,you have a nice afternoon...drinking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: February 26, 2014 22:16

Brstonesfan
Slipping away has no business at a Stadium show Keith!!!! It totally slows the momentum of the shows. Stick with Happy and BFTMMR. This is getting embarrassing,

You were there to watch this "embarrassment"?

The reports from the first show said it was a highlight...

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:33

That merchandise line is unreal, I have never seen anything like it before! Was this the only merchandise stand or were there other smaller ones throughout the venue like they usually have?

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:34

snibbs1234

Hm, lots of Asians in Asia! What are we gonna do about this?

Date: February 26, 2014 22:37

Hey Powder, just a question between the buttons...

Do you really have to comment EVERYTHING on this board(?), or is it your trying to get 10000 posts ASAP? (just wondering)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:37

snibbs1234

Better stop the medicine use.

Hahhahahahahah

jeroen

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:38

LiveAtHidepark
bv

I was a Rolling Stones fan in my ten's & twenty's. Growing older, I am not a fan anymore. I like music when it's good, don't like it when it's bad. I respect Ronnie Wood for his humanity, I respect Mick taylor for his sensibility on guitar playing. I respect Keith Richard for the wonderful songs he wrote (Gimme Shelter & Wild Horses as exemples), but I lost all respect for the band because of their greedy attitude.

Anyway, this picture is just wonderful. Ronnie Wood & Mick Taylor playing together with the Rolling Stones is a dream come true. This picture is the best I've seen concerning the Mick Taylor "slight return". If YOU (no credits) took this picture, congratulations. Thanks Ronnie, YOU and ONLY YOU, Ronnie, made this thing happening/happens/happened. Sorry for my English.

Remember BV, when you phoned me in 1995 to get a ticket for Montpellier, you got it. But when a stupid french girl-fan (sway Stones) asked you in the early 2010's to ban me you did it. And you did it TWICE. I never get the reason why, apart of a "Somebody complains against you so I had to take action" message.

Of course, If you want to ban me again, it's up to you.

I must commend you on the slick way you used BV's photo to compliment him, the show, Ronnie and MT before bringing it back around to an old axe to grind. This thread is supposed to be about show updates from those that were there.

Were you there in Tokyo? No. OK so why post. Oh right you need to get some attention. If you've been banned and come back then why bring it up? Oh, yeah you need some attention because you can't add anything of value to the thread so you make it about yourself. Perhaps you could go somewhere else for this kind of thing. I can't travel to the far east shows but would like to hear about them from fans who do get to go. thank you in advance for adding more to this and other threads that aggravate and piss of fans making them and myself chuck it in and stop reading altogether.

I think your post should be deleted.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:39

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
Hey Powder, just a question between the buttons...

Do you really have to comment EVERYTHING on this board(?), or is it your trying to get 10000 posts ASAP? (just wondering)

The more posts DandelionPowderman makes on this board the better this board is. DandelionPowderman may be IORR's best member and in my opinion he does not post enough.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home