Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19
Rolling Stones - Tokyo Feb 26
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:32

AP/Shizuo Kambayashi

AP/Shizuo Kambayashi

Rolling Stones - Tokyo Feb 26
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:32

AP/Shizuo Kambayashi

AP/Shizuo Kambayashi

Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:33

Captainchaos
20 song set - Mick taylor plays on 3 = 15% of the setlist includes mick taylor

got to be honest, safe as @#$%&, great songs chosen & played but sheesh the novelty of mick taylor on just 3 tunes is such a missed opportunity!?!?!

if this is the last ever tour its a crying shame that theyre not making the best use of what they got, play what they want and how they want.

I would really like them to step out the comfort zone but actually it has never been Mick Jagger's policy during the band's whole existence...

But I'm really glad they are on tour anyway and if they will play 20 songs in Europe in the next summer I'm glad whichever songs those 20 are.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:39

Wow interesting set guys way to mix it up. Poor Mick Taylor, rehearsing to play really on just one song. Surely he didn't need to rehearse to strum and acoustic on Satisfaction.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:41

Deathgod
Niek
Deathgod
gotdablouse
latvianinexile
benstones
So the stage is better !!!! Less high !!!

There is a slight slope on the catwalk but the main stage is just as high as in Abu Dhabi. See pictures on first page where you see in the distance security personell standing in front of the stage.

Yeah it looks like they fixed the problem by increasing the gaps...the easiest fix I suppose.

I still would like to hear reports and see more pics. It's slightly killing our front row ticket buzz for Adelaide. Promoters are full of BS.

BS?

BS = bullsh* t

Adelaide Promoter told us Abu Dhabi stage was so high as a once off, but looks as tho stage in Tokyo is same height. Meaning restricted view for high paying fans in the front rows. Some have said they can only see the tops of heads, and no view of Ronnie, Keef or Charlie at all due to catwalk height.
Well if things get worse just stand on the chairs. That's what we did in Rome in 2007 when they let all the people into the stadium ground.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:43

The die hard fans like us on here probably make up 10% at best of the crowd at gigs like this. As much as id love to see them roll out some rarer songs it isnt going to happen. You might get the odd curve ball or two but the set will be safe. The majority of people there want to see the warhorses - they are casual stones fans, a large number have probably only seen them once or twice (If at all).

As has already been said enjoy it for what it is, we are lucky the lads are still around after 50 years. You only have to look at other high profile bands like Led Zep, The Beatles and Pink Floyd to realise this. I dont buy into the notion they are just topping up their cash reserves, Glastonbury last year was arguably their finest moment in 30 years

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:49

richie26188
Glastonbury last year was arguably their finest moment in 30 years
Let's put it his way: The best outdoor concert since Knebworth 1976, but not to compare to indoor shows as that is just a different place and league. Not better or worse but different.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:54

EddieByword
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for the fantastic standing stones..........

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
7. Bitch (winner song choice)
8. Honky Tonk Women
9. Slipping Away (Keith, with Mick Taylor)
10. Before they make me run (Keith)
11. Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (with 'The Senzoku Freshman Singers')
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Interesting that if you had attended the last Tokyo Dome show in March 2006 you heard 65% of this set before. The contingent that responds "Well, they heard 35% different" I would respond they really only heard 10% new since, with the exception of Emotional Rescue & Doom and Gloom, every single song has been played in Japan multiple times before.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 26, 2014 14:58

richie26188
The die hard fans like us on here probably make up 10% at best of the crowd at gigs like this.

At these prices I really wonder if that's true. Would a first-timer really shell out huge dollars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 14:59 by fahthree.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:02

I don't buy this common fans want to hear the hits. Are you saying the Stones only have a handful of hits that people would recognize, I don't think so.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:05

3 different songs than night 1, and 1 song longer. That's some progress I guess. Silver Train in Macau PLEASE!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:09

Thank you for the pictures and updates.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:10

RRMan03
Is there anything that fans will not bitch about.

I cannot think of anything smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:11

richie26188
The die hard fans like us on here probably make up 10% at best of the crowd at gigs like this. As much as id love to see them roll out some rarer songs it isnt going to happen. You might get the odd curve ball or two but the set will be safe. The majority of people there want to see the warhorses - they are casual stones fans, a large number have probably only seen them once or twice (If at all).

As has already been said enjoy it for what it is, we are lucky the lads are still around after 50 years. You only have to look at other high profile bands like Led Zep, The Beatles and Pink Floyd to realise this. I dont buy into the notion they are just topping up their cash reserves, Glastonbury last year was arguably their finest moment in 30 years

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 15:15 by rollingon.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:16

Man, that stage is horrible. It looks cheap and nasty, and the video screens look hopeless. It looks like the sort of basic stage that Springsteen would use - which is fine as his charges about a fifth of what the Stones charge. I know it's expensive to tour but surely they could have made a little bit more effort with the Stage?????

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:24

paulywaul
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
5. Emotional Rescue...alright, alright, me and doom are new but we're just passing through, honest.....
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:32

paulywaul
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Great setlist for the first of three nights, but I still have to maintain that Slipping Away has no place in a Stones show anymore, because Keith's voice is so shot. What will be interesting however is to see what they come up with for the next two Tokyo shows, how much variation there'll be.
keef has been singing like that forever. his voice is rough but very melodic !

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:40

TheGreek
paulywaul
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

keef has been singing like that forever. his voice is rough but very melodic !

Rough ? Indeed, most certainly

Melodic ? That isn't exactly how I would describe it myself ............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 26, 2014 15:50

Wow, lots of opinions about the set list but not much about the performance itself. Were the Stones on fire at Tokyo Dome? How was Keith's playing, Mick's voice and Charlie's drumming?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 26, 2014 15:57

Wasn't MJ just saying last month that this will be "a whole different tour from last year, 50 and Counting is over"? Complaining about songs aside, you could have pulled up a set/set order from last year and just changed the city at the top. Only Slipping Away is unique. Come on, at least shuffle the deck if you're going to play the same stuff.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:01

Cant believe i missed all this, will have to get my time zones sorted out!! Duhhh drinking smiley

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:09

Four Surprises.

1-Mick Taylor conducted the band for Slipping Away with his eye contact and chorus.

2-Mick Taylor was dancing with smoking behind Charlie's drum set during Keith was singing Before They Make Me Run.

3-My wife and I were sitting right beside the catwalk.
When Mick, Keith or Lisa approahed the catwalk, the monitor speakers came on and the sound of Charlie's drum came out far more vividly.
That was like a quasi surround effect. It was very interesting and fun experience.

4-Midnight Rambler was a lotmore powerful than they did in 1990. They played it with full throttle.

Lastly let me quote a memorable remark:
"There will never be a love affair so grand and so lasting as mine with The Rolling Stones."

When I saw their show before my nose, I reaffirm my love affair is still going on.
I could get a feeling of happiness from their obscenity, vague manners and three chords rock 'n' roll.

Let's party for the rest of the night!

Date: February 26, 2014 16:17

I missed this, too!

Looks like a great setlist with lots of good stuff. Bitch and Wild Horses are two of my favourites, and should be in any setlist, imo thumbs up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:31

Toru A
Four Surprises.

1-Mick Taylor conducted the band for Slipping Away with his eye contact and chorus.

2-Mick Taylor was dancing with smoking behind Charlie's drum set during Keith was singing Before They Make Me Run.

3-My wife and I were sitting right beside the catwalk.
When Mick, Keith or Lisa approahed the catwalk, the monitor speakers came on and the sound of Charlie's drum came out far more vividly.
That was like a quasi surround effect. It was very interesting and fun experience.

4-Midnight Rambler was a lotmore powerful than they did in 1990. They played it with full throttle.

Lastly let me quote a memorable remark:
"There will never be a love affair so grand and so lasting as mine with The Rolling Stones."

When I saw their show before my nose, I reaffirm my love affair is still going on.
I could get a feeling of happiness from their obscenity, vague manners and three chords rock 'n' roll.

Let's party for the rest of the night!

AWESOME!! Cheers on a great show, and thanks for popping in here to let us know.

The opinions of people who were there, and rocking with The Stones, are the opinions which matter the most, I look forward to reading more of these. Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 16:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:36

What time...local...did they start?

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:43

Toru A, was the stage too high or was it ok?

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:43

ROPENI
paulywaul
EddieByword

1. Get off of my Cloud
2. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Wild Horses
6. Doom and Gloom
8. Honky Tonk Women
12. Miss You
13. Paint it, Black
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Start Me Up
16. Brown Sugar
17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Lets face it folks The Stones are and have been for the last 20 years a Nostalgia Act,no more no less,it could be Vegas or Tokyo they will play the same songs over and over,this is what the majority of the audience wants,they don't give a shit about M Taylor,hell, most of them probably don't even know who he is,forget about them doing "rare' songs,they only may play some of them at rehearsals,but would never do it at a big concert,once again their audience now days only wants the "hits",so if you want to hear the warhorses for the million times,then pay the $600.00 per ticket and have a great time,the rest of us wanting something different will never get it....

Well put. I look at the pics from the show tonight and I think the same thing. This act belongs in Vegas with The Smothers Brothers and Tom Jones.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: February 26, 2014 16:44

Congratulations to the Tokyo audience for not having to listen to YGMR!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 26, 2014 17:00

6s7s9s

What time...local...did they start?

7:00pm according to the time stamps on [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] and the Reports.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 19:35 by Irix.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 26, 2014 17:09

Adams
Toru A, was the stage too high or was it ok?

I think it depends on the location.
It was ok to us.
We could hear Lisa's raw voice and see Mick's earhole.

I threw a pair of glove at Mick while he was on catwalk. (that was valentine present from my wife)
He kicked it!grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home