Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Ronnie Hints That A Duets Album May Be In Stones Future
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2014 18:56

Max'sKansasCity
treacle will buy this duets album, he has too, it is not even his choice anymore winking smiley

He will actually probably buy 3 copies, unless they release it 5 colors, thenb he will buy 5, maybe 6 drinking smiley

grinning smiley

Oh I'll buy it alright. I'll probably even like it.

You laugh now, but when I turn 80 years old and start selling off my collection of albums, I could make a few hundred.

Hopefully the discount won't be that deep though.

Date: February 26, 2014 18:59

The conversation went like this.

Ronnie: "what about a duets album? I think we talked about it last year"

Mick: "dunno, let me think about it"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 26, 2014 19:01

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treacle will buy this duets album, he has too, it is not even his choice anymore winking smiley

He will actually probably buy 3 copies, unless they release it 5 colors, thenb he will buy 5, maybe 6 drinking smiley

Oh I'll buy it alright. I'll probably even like it.

You laugh now, but when I turn 80 years old and start selling off my collection of albums, I could make a few hundred.

Hopefully the discount won't be that deep though.
grinning smiley

smileys with beer X2smileys with beer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 26, 2014 19:14

much ado about nothing

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: February 26, 2014 19:17

Next stop... The Stones cover Christmas classics

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 19:21

Last studio album 9 years ago...Two Greatest Hits in the last 12 years with only an album of new stuff in the middle...It's time of new stuff, a solid 10 tracks album of simple Rock'n'Roll is asking too much?!?Duets is good for Santana or Sinatra, we want new music after a whole decade with an onlyone album...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 26, 2014 19:31

Please, no!

Remember how well "Memory Motel" with Dave Matthews turned out!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:19

Supernatural by Santana was a great album, and the duets actually worked. Shaman and All That I Am were rubbish, and as for Guitar Heaven - more Guitar Hell.

Santana has, fortunately, released an instrumental album, Shape Shifter, which I have yet to buy, but will do so soon. He's seen sense and ditched the guests. Sinatra's Duets were the worst albums he ever made, yet Tony Bennett manages to cope with his duet material, which makes me wonder.

The Stones doing a duet album ? Not a good idea, as the sheer force of Jagger's will, and voice, coupled with Keith, Ronnie, and, hopefully, Mick Taylor, would be awe-inspiring. When the Stones have done live recordings, with special guests, they have been somewhat hit, or miss. Doug Kershaw was great on Far Away Eyes, Eric Clapton great on Little Red Rooster, Solomon Burke great on Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, and Buddy Guy and Jack White were also great, ditto Taj Mahal on Corinna. However, Christina Aguilera, Jack White, Sheryl Crow, haven't been so great.

Tom Waits, probably, was the best duettist in the recent gigs, as he created just the right amount of quirkiness for Little Red Rooster.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 26, 2014 20:21

Doh ! Jack white written twice - mea culpa. He was good on Loving Cup.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:02

Hope this is not true.
First stones album im not gonna buy.
jeroen

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:18

Not a good idea at all. I still skip over Memory Motel on the No Security release because of the duet with Dave Mathews. Love the song, hate the duet even though I can tolerate Mathews work on his own. How about releasing a CD of your classic albums with the best live versions you can find in the vaults, or would that be too much work. I'm willing to put in the time sorting them out and making the best selections easier on the fellas.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:38

treaclefingers

Continued

How much money money can we make.....

Jeroen

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: February 26, 2014 22:40

They did one of these before at least on one track. Can't remember with whom but it was not worth the money for the single back then in the 90's. I'll pass.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:06

My first reaction was no way, yuck, especially if it's just the duets from the 50 and Counting tour. But, if they were careful about it and recorded some songs with some simpatico musicians, it could be interesting.

They have all done songs with other musicians, some of them quite good, like Mick with Peter Wolf and Lenny Kravitz and Keith with Toots Hibbert and Tom Waits.

Like everyone here, I'd rather see a new Stones album, but if a duets is next, I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear what they've done.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:15

latebloomer
My first reaction was no way, yuck, especially if it's just the duets from the 50 and Counting tour. But, if they were careful about it and recorded some songs with some simpatico musicians, it could be interesting.

They have all done songs with other musicians, some of them quite good, like Mick with Peter Wolf and Lenny Kravitz and Keith with Toots Hibbert and Tom Waits.

Like everyone here, I'd rather see a new Stones album, but if a duets is next, I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear what they've done.

what they are talking about is a live compilation of tracks with guests from the last tour. go into the studio and record a new album of duets? Not happening. It's just a new way to milk another live album from the same material. They are not going into the studio to do anything.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 26, 2014 23:22

Rokyfan
latebloomer

what they are talking about is a live compilation of tracks with guests from the last tour. go into the studio and record a new album of duets? Not happening. It's just a new way to milk another live album from the same material. They are not going into the studio to do anything.

Then, Yuck.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: February 27, 2014 00:06

I can imagine that japanese crowd for the merchandise buying such an album.

Date: February 27, 2014 00:15

corriecas
treaclefingers

Continued

How much money money can we make.....

continued

Ronnie: I bet we can make a lot from the album, and best of all, we don't have to go to the studio.

Mick: You may be on to something...I'm going to call Lady Gaga to see if she'd release our Gimme Shelter duet on her website. Unleash the little monsters! Whatever you do, don't tell Keith!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:02

Only last year, John Fogerty released a studio album of older songs of his, covered by him with duet partners, mostly country music artists.

Maybe this concept gets good ratings in market research, maybe this concept helps with re-claiming royalties from decades old songs. It sure ain't about the music that is on such an album. It's the singer, not the song. Even the song "Moves Like Jagger" was about nobody moves units like Mick Jagger ;-)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:12

Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity
Uh, people are aware that buying this/any album is optional (for most people), right?
Same with listening to any album... that is pretty much optional also.

Wait. What? I thought we were forced to buy and listen to Dirty Work.
You were, but they have since relaxed the rules... for some... others still have to buy every release, and multiple copies of them.

PHHEEEEWWWWW. The last vinyl original release I got was DIRTY WORK, followed a few years by the CD release. At the time I may have liked DIRTY WORK. And... the Virgin reissue. THAT'S IT. NEVER AGAIN. I count that as mutiple copies. The only album I've bought since... whatever, the reissue of SOME GIRLS, was another copy of the Virgin GHS because I loaned it to someone and they ruined it.

Seeing that they've released nothing of significance since the releases of the extras of the EXILE and SOME GIRLS... I've got from TSMR back to the first album to get yet of the 2002 reissues.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 27, 2014 01:21

And even better news is... 8-Tracks may be coming back...

Good ole 8-tracks, they were great for ripping out of the player and throwing at your brother when you were waaaaayyy pissed off.... and they would do some damage!... but nothing too permanent...

Not to mention how much fun 8-tracks are to take apart and repair, such Satisfaction.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:20

The duets album i'd like to hear is Keith doing country standards with legendary country singers. There are some amazing tracks out there from one-off performances (e.g. willie nelson.) His interpretations of the songs are very interesting to hear, and his voice is perfect for country.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:23

sonomastone
The duets album i'd like to hear is Keith doing country standards with legendary country singers. There are some amazing tracks out there from one-off performances (e.g. willie nelson.) His interpretations of the songs are very interesting to hear, and his voice is perfect for country.

God, yeah. An album of songs in the same vein as this would be fantastic.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 03:38 by Gazza.

Date: February 27, 2014 03:38

In fairness, Mick's no slouch in that genre either, when he doesnt over-do the self-parody

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: February 27, 2014 03:47

stonehearted

Because when Keith sings, Mick has to leave the stage. Keith has it written into his contract.

Is this true?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: February 27, 2014 04:35

StonesBlake
stonehearted

Because when Keith sings, Mick has to leave the stage. Keith has it written into his contract.

Is this true?

widely rumored, but not confirmed. and, if true, it's not clear whether mick wants the clause so he can take a breather, or if keith wants the clause so he can have the limelight.

Date: February 27, 2014 04:52

sonomastone
StonesBlake
stonehearted

Is this true?

widely rumored, but not confirmed. and, if true, it's not clear whether mick wants the clause so he can take a breather, or if keith wants the clause so he can have the limelight.

Was reported in some book or biography (cant remember which one) over two decades ago and seems to have been accepted as fact.

Have never heard the band acknowledge it's validity, though. Personally I have my doubts. Mick takes a two-song break mid-show to recharge his batteries. Simple as that. He probably needs and wants the break more than Keith needs or wants him to be offstage.

Date: February 27, 2014 05:01

Gazza
sonomastone
StonesBlake
stonehearted

Is this true?

Was reported in some book or biography (cant remember which one) over two decades ago and seems to have been accepted as fact.

Have never heard the band acknowledge it's validity, though. Personally I have my doubts. Mick takes a two-song break mid-show to recharge his batteries. Simple as that. He probably needs and wants the break more than Keith needs or wants him to be offstage.

The simple fact here, and yes it's a tough one to swallow, is that Mick just needs a piss break, and like most fans uses the Keith set as the perfect opportunity.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 27, 2014 06:04

Gazza
sonomastone
StonesBlake
stonehearted

Is this true?

Not positive, but I believe I may have first come across that tidbit in the notorious SPIN article )it was the cover story) announcing the end of the RS. Mid 80s probably... but can't recall that it was explicitly sourced although much of the article, notwithstanding an anti-Stones bias (again from memory), seemed to have gotten the facts right (for the time)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 27, 2014 08:42

The duets live album seemed a logical option back then in our minds - as Max's Kansas City's thread showed - but this is the first time there is something indicated by the band into that direction. But as like many Stones plans nothing is certain before something actually happens. My prediction is that the project is not going to be realized. Jagger will do the same judgement as many of us here have already done: the performances are not good enough - too much needs to be redone - if it would make ana acceptable release by their standards. I guess it sounded initially a great idea (for Jagger), but that alone is not enough. Besides, they are in a position that they really don't have any need to release anything. They don't have even a record contract at the moment, right? Somehow I tend to see that the duets thing would be a part of DVD box release or something, if it needs to be utilized. The visual aspects hides the musical weaknesses.

That said, most likely the album is available next month...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home