Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: flubbed start me up intro at Hyde Park (both nights)
Date: February 28, 2014 16:09

crumbling_mice
DandelionPowderman
Both nights?
Wasn't it both nights? My memory has possibly got this wrong and apologies to keith if it was just the first night. Still doesn't detract from my point that as any of the guitarists on here will testify, that opening riff to SMU is possibly the easiest of all the Stones riffs. Theories about his scarf getting in the way are nonsense... strange that none of the band seem to realise. Chuck Leavell as musical director you would think might have raised an eyebrow...nothing. Still think it was intentional for some bizarre reason.

Yep it sure was both nights.

I just asked Bärs if he thought Keith flubbed it both nights because of nerves.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: March 1, 2014 02:31

To me it looked like - in the 1st Hyde Park Show - that his scarf (one of them anyway) got caught in the strings. One of the previous responses postulated that he may have forgot what open tuning he was in (E v. G). As a guitar player this makes a little sense - but - most of the Stones tunes in open tuning are in G - and the fact they've played Start Me Up hundreds of times - I have a hard time agreeing with this theory.

I listened to the 2nd Hyde Park intro a few times. Keith does cuts off the announcer a little - and this I feel was not an accident. I think he wanted to play the intro in an authoritative manner as to quiet the snickering critics from the night before. To my ears - he didn't 'flub' it - it sounded a little flat to me - like he was trying to hard.

As far as the other comments saying Keith doesn't care anymore, or can't play anymore....well....I think they care as much as they need to at this stage of their career. I believe the Stones feel that people are on to them now...and it's getting a little harder for them to try and convince everyone that these shows just aren't for the money. I mean look at the set lists. Keith is in his 70's now. I never thought he was much of a guitar player - but has always been one of my favorites ---if that makes any sense to you. But I'd say his guitar playing has greatly diminished. Some of the solos he takes are wildly out of tune, tempo and seem rushed. I could go on and on here and bash how Keith sounds now a days but it would not seem right to me. I'm 45 now - and I'll NEVER forget the day when my older brother came home with a few Rolling Stones records. I was in maybe 4th grade. I haven't been the same since. I guess that's why Keith is one of my favorites and this is how I choose to remember the Stones.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 1, 2014 09:36

So he was never much of a guitar player, now he's even worse, but he's one of your favorites? confused smiley

I'd put the Hyde Park flubs down to nerves, personally, pure and simple. They were approximately six notes--or maybe two bars--out of two whole nights of great music.

Date: March 1, 2014 11:03

Right on, Aquamarine!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 1, 2014 12:20

Nerves sounds about right to me - at this point he' s itching to get out there and get on with it, and he's made a mess of many an opening intro over the years. He also started SMU in Abu Dhabi before the announcer had finished. Unfortunately we don't have SMU from Tokyo, but I'd be interested to know whether he made a better job of it when it was much further down the setlist. Can someone who was there enlighten us?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 1, 2014 22:29

DandelionPowderman
crumbling_mice
DandelionPowderman
Both nights?
Wasn't it both nights? My memory has possibly got this wrong and apologies to keith if it was just the first night. Still doesn't detract from my point that as any of the guitarists on here will testify, that opening riff to SMU is possibly the easiest of all the Stones riffs. Theories about his scarf getting in the way are nonsense... strange that none of the band seem to realise. Chuck Leavell as musical director you would think might have raised an eyebrow...nothing. Still think it was intentional for some bizarre reason.

Yep it sure was both nights.

I just asked Bärs if he thought Keith flubbed it both nights because of nerves.

Yes. He became nervous the 2nd nitgh because he flubbet it the 1st night winking smiley

It must be extremely tough on the nerves to start a show with a solo riff in front of those huge audiences. It would be nice to know what pulse Keith have right before showtime.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 1, 2014 22:46

DandelionPowderman
schwonek
Ok. He gets it all wrong. Why does it sound so right on Sweet Summer Sun I wonder?

Because he played it correctly later in the song. A cut and paste-job...

Actually I just realized that Sweet Summer Sun is the second night Start me up. And that flubber wasn't as bad as the first night one.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 2, 2014 07:34

At 1:10 on the above Van Halen Jump Clip, you see Wolfie handing out a guitar pick with fingers clearly off the bass neck...you can still hear the notes.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2014 07:48

trainarollin
At 1:10 on the above Van Halen Jump Clip, you see Wolfie handing out a guitar pick with fingers clearly off the bass neck...you can still hear the notes.

Thats the kick drum you are hearing not the bass.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 2, 2014 07:51

sodapop
To me it looked like - in the 1st Hyde Park Show - that his scarf (one of them anyway) got caught in the strings. One of the previous responses postulated that he may have forgot what open tuning he was in (E v. G). As a guitar player this makes a little sense - but - most of the Stones tunes in open tuning are in G - and the fact they've played Start Me Up hundreds of times - I have a hard time agreeing with this theory.

I listened to the 2nd Hyde Park intro a few times. Keith does cuts off the announcer a little - and this I feel was not an accident. I think he wanted to play the intro in an authoritative manner as to quiet the snickering critics from the night before. To my ears - he didn't 'flub' it - it sounded a little flat to me - like he was trying to hard.

As far as the other comments saying Keith doesn't care anymore, or can't play anymore....well....I think they care as much as they need to at this stage of their career. I believe the Stones feel that people are on to them now...and it's getting a little harder for them to try and convince everyone that these shows just aren't for the money. I mean look at the set lists. Keith is in his 70's now. I never thought he was much of a guitar player - but has always been one of my favorites ---if that makes any sense to you. But I'd say his guitar playing has greatly diminished. Some of the solos he takes are wildly out of tune, tempo and seem rushed. I could go on and on here and bash how Keith sounds now a days but it would not seem right to me. I'm 45 now - and I'll NEVER forget the day when my older brother came home with a few Rolling Stones records. I was in maybe 4th grade. I haven't been the same since. I guess that's why Keith is one of my favorites and this is how I choose to remember the Stones.

Look at More Hot Rocks explanation earlier to what happened. He has it right on.

Date: March 2, 2014 14:40

schwonek
DandelionPowderman
schwonek
Ok. He gets it all wrong. Why does it sound so right on Sweet Summer Sun I wonder?

Because he played it correctly later in the song. A cut and paste-job...

Actually I just realized that Sweet Summer Sun is the second night Start me up. And that flubber wasn't as bad as the first night one.

They did cut and paste anyhow smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 5, 2014 13:08

Anybody listened to the Tokyo 2 audio? SMU is up first, and it's - fine. But that isn't news, is it?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 5, 2014 13:14

It's more than fine, it's excellent!

The HTW-intro, however,... winking smiley

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 22:39

You know, these things just happen. Even in the better circles...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 11, 2014 18:30

Ronnie's solo is incredibly underwhelming here. How bizarre. The intro sounds heavily edited aside from Keith's flub fix.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home