Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT-Jimmy Fallon hosts Tonight Show
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:19

24FPS
This transition will take some time to shake out. The Roots seem a little distant now, but I'm sure that will change as the show gets into it's normal grind. I've been fortunate enough to see all the Tonight Show hosts do their thing. (Steve Allen had a syndicated late night show in the early 60s, where Letterman got a lot of his stuff. And Jack Paar had an hour long Friday night prime time show for a few years after he left the Tonight Show). I always considered Leno the least talented of the group. Letterman should have followed Carson, but we know how that worked out.

Allen was funny and also a very good musician. Paar was a conversationalist. Carson was a hybrid, funny and he could do a decent sketch. Leno appealed to that vast gray audience out in the middle of America. Conan got screwed. All the Tonight Show hosts in the past were given a year or two to build their audience. Fallon, who I think will mature, is at a strange point. He can do sketches, musical and otherwise, and yes, he's a bit deferential to his guests, but someone like Seinfeld is bigger than Fallon star wise at this point.

The shift from Leno to Fallon is also a switch to a younger generation. Allen and Carson were big into big band music. Fallon's into rock. Both are musics skewed to a slightly older, but not too old, viewer. Fallon can even pull off hip hop, which spreads his net even further. He's already built up a good network of hard to get rock stars to appear on his show. Now they'll know they're appearing on the most prestigious show. Lorne Michaels, what a genius. Carson didn't want SNL to happen, and now Michaels runs the Tonight Show, SNL, and the new Late Night with Seth Meyers.

It's hard to find early Carson Tonight Shows to view, but he was a little insecure his first couple years. It took him a while to get that HUGE STAR persona, where in the end his fame dwarfed that of his guests. Fallon should be interesting to watch. He won't be as dominant as Carson, not with Kimmel and Letterman on at the same time. But the return to New York definitely gives it a different vibe. Should be fun.

Interesting observations.

I think Letterman's days are numbered, he's getting old and hasn't been interesting to watch for years now (although a breath of fresh air compared to Leno).

I think Fallon is in a sweet spot right now. He can get U2 and the Stones...don't see Kimmel pulling that off.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 19, 2014 21:53

Do young people, the one supposed to be interested in Jimmy Fallon, really watch TV and even more late night TV? The old timer like Carson were doing great due to their talent but also what else was there to watch late at night on TV that was really funny? Good luck to Jimmy ,he likes the rolling stones and he seems like a cool guy.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 19, 2014 22:18

Jimmy Fallon is a funny guy, but is he a good talk show host?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 19, 2014 22:27

Fallon is immensely talented, and hugely popular. I suspect the Tonight Show will gain a mostly new, younger audience and will hold on to it for a very long time. U2 was excellent the other night, too, in my opinion!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 19, 2014 22:33

treaclefingers

I think Fallon is in a sweet spot right now. He can get U2 and the Stones...don't see Kimmel pulling that off.

Kimmel doesn't seem to get the big names on his show but I like him. I think he's underrated. His show can be really funny and he as a laid-back self effacing style that is unique to late night TV.

Date: February 19, 2014 23:52

fallon is not funny. why do people think he is?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 20, 2014 00:05

Past my bedtime...don't any of you have to get up for work? grinning smiley

I did watch a little of it yesterday from the DVR. Fallon will be okay, the change will just take some getting used to. I think he's a better choice than Conan O'Brien was. Fallon appeals to the oldsters as well as the youngsters.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:00

Work, what is that?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:02

it's all about comedic timing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:12

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson With Special Temporary Extended Guest Host Jimmy Fallon?

Though it's true that there were two hosts before Carson, it is also true that Johnny Carson was the Tonight Show, because Johnny Carson was "middle America" (from Nebraska). Carson became an icon and made the show iconic, and Ed McMahon's opening intro "He-eeeeeere's Johnny!" became a major riff for impressionists and even made it's way into a Stanley Kubrick film. This was also a time when there were only three networks and television was the main entertainment medium and the Tonight Show was the nightcap television highlight before the networks shut down for the night (yes, there actually was a time when there was no television in the wee post-midnight hours).

By comparison, Leno was just another host, and now Fallon even more so.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:14

RollingFreak
owlbynite
I miss Jay already & think Jimmy, while likeable, may be the lesser of the evils available now. Too bad Dana Carvey was stricken with early heart disease some years back when he began climbing the late nite ladder after SNL. Also think Fallon is a frustrated rocker at heart and if he had his druthers would rather star in a rock 'n roll band. That's why he gets into full character & costume to sing, play guitar and consistently spoof and play alongside as many rockers as he can. But he's endearing himself to them (Lady GaGa couldn't give him enough kisses tonite & last nite) which should attract many musical acts, classic & new, to the show. Good for us! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
He doesn't want to be a rock and roller. He respects the art of full blown comedy harkening back to the early days of SNL where performers would go all out to impersonate someone. Thats what he's channelling. But yes, he's also a big music fan. But no, he's definitely a comedian through and through and not a frustrated rocker at hear.

Just look @ him get up alongside Justin Timberlake....think he's quite enamored by the rock 'n rollers & slightly wistful but it's not a bad thing for us, he'll continue booking big-name acts & doing funny skits with and of them (like his David Bowie Ground Control to his own Tim Tebow lyrics!) cool smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:36

I think he overdoes it with his singing with the guest bit. He comes off as a wannabe rock star. It annoyed me that he had to sing vocals with Barry Gibb, although I have to admit he didn't do a bad job of it.

When Carson sang it was a rare treat.

Date: February 20, 2014 18:36

keefriffhard4life

Maybe because we have a sense of humour?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:09

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life

Maybe because we have a sense of humour?

thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Date: February 20, 2014 20:13

ryanpow
treaclefingers

Kimmel doesn't seem to get the big names on his show but I like him. I think he's underrated. His show can be really funny and he as a laid-back self effacing style that is unique to late night TV.

I think that has been changing. He gets entire casts of movies. He recently had George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, and the rest, on one couch and a few chairs. Last night he had Matthew McConaughey. I don't know what bigger names are out there. Meryl Steep was on a few weeks ago. Am I missing some superstars? I think his show will profit from being the only big deal night time talk show in Hollywood.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:16

24FPS
ryanpow
treaclefingers

I think that has been changing. He gets entire casts of movies. He recently had George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, and the rest, on one couch and a few chairs. Last night he had Matthew McConaughey. I don't know what bigger names are out there. Meryl Steep was on a few weeks ago. Am I missing some superstars? I think his show will profit from being the only big deal night time talk show in Hollywood.

He's had Oprah. I don't understand the argument that he doesn't get big guests. He's had all the biggest ones. And yes, he is 100% going to benefit from being the only huge Late Night show in Hollywood. Good for him because everyone will flock to that, and Fallon is safe because everyone loves him so much that they will make the trip. Its a win win for both, but Kimmel gets a huge boost for being alone in Hollywood basically. There's Conan, but thats not a network.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:42

Jay leno runied it for me when he took the tonight show from conan

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:04

24FPS
ryanpow
treaclefingers

I'd rather see musicians in New York than actors in Hollywood. I just find musicians to be more entertaining and honest representations of themselves.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 20, 2014 21:29

latebloomer
He comes off as a wannabe rock star.

Paul McCartney on Peter Sellers: "Like a lot of comedians, he wanted to be a musician." (The Beatles' ANTHOLOGY book.)

ALEC BALDWIN: "I’ve always said this—acting is what you do when you have no musical ability. If I could do what you do, I would never do what I do."

BILLY JOEL: "That’s what actors say. They all want to be musicians."

BALDWIN: "I would never, ever, ever, ever waste five minutes of doing what I do if I could do what you do."

From [www.wnyc.org]

Date: February 20, 2014 21:30

Godxofxrock9

hmmm...he ruined it for me when he took the tonight show from Johnny Carson.

Date: February 21, 2014 00:51

treaclefingers
Godxofxrock9

Actually, he was given the Tonight Show by Carson. If anyone at that time had the Tonight Show taken from them, it was Letterman.

Date: February 21, 2014 01:53

stonehearted
treaclefingers
Godxofxrock9

Actually, he was given the Tonight Show by Carson. If anyone at that time had the Tonight Show taken from them, it was Letterman.

Nice try at revisionist history. Carson wanted Letterman for the spot. The NBC executives wanted Jay.

I think that always wounded Jay too.

Date: February 21, 2014 02:05

treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Godxofxrock9

Nice try at revisionist history. Carson wanted Letterman for the spot. The NBC executives wanted Jay.

Actually, I wasn't trying at anything, revisionist or otherwise--I simply didn't know and thought it was Carson's decision to make. Plus the way Leno would show up as a guest sucking up with his "Thanks, boss!"

Ultimately, it was the right one, not to choose Letterman I mean. Letterman was too hip and quirky at the time, and his humor was more appealing to college students rather than the middle-America oldsters that Carson and his show attracted, whereas Leno was perfectly innocuous, if uncharismatic and utterly noniconic, distinguished only by his prominent chin rather than something one could create and cultivate in life--like a personality for starters.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 02:31

RollingFreak
24FPS
ryanpow
treaclefingers

He's had Oprah. I don't understand the argument that he doesn't get big guests. He's had all the biggest ones. And yes, he is 100% going to benefit from being the only huge Late Night show in Hollywood. Good for him because everyone will flock to that, and Fallon is safe because everyone loves him so much that they will make the trip. Its a win win for both, but Kimmel gets a huge boost for being alone in Hollywood basically. There's Conan, but thats not a network.

Is been a few years since I've watched the late night shows, glad to hear he's moved up in the world. Anyhow, I think he's a funny guy. My experience has been that whenever he's mentioned people kind of roll their eyes or dismiss him. that's why I think he's underrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 02:34 by ryanpow.

Date: February 21, 2014 02:34

stonehearted
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Godxofxrock9

Actually, I wasn't trying at anything, revisionist or otherwise--I simply didn't know and thought it was Carson's decision to make. Plus the way Leno would show up as a guest sucking up with his "Thanks, boss!"

Ultimately, it was the right one, not to choose Letterman I mean. Letterman was too hip and quirky at the time, and his humor was more appealing to college students rather than the middle-America oldsters that Carson and his show attracted, whereas Leno was perfectly innocuous, if uncharismatic and utterly noniconic, distinguished only by his prominent chin rather than something one could create and cultivate in life--like a personality for starters.

OK, sorry for rip at ya! As a matter of fact, Carson appeared on Letterman's new show (at the time) as a show of support.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2014 02:59

I grew up watching Johnny Carson, and there's really nobody who compares.

Leno was somewhat funny about 3 decades ago when he waas a stande-up comedian,
but never liked him taking over the Tonight show.
Never thought much of Conan either, especially his fat sidekick.
Letterman was fun to watch in the '80's, but now he's showing his age and is a rather dull.
Kimmel is OK, but sometimes his schtick seems a bit contrived.
Fallon is likeable and enthusiastic, and will reign supreme on the Tonight Show for at least 20 years.

And don't forget Arsenio...haha...never mind. thumbs down

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 21, 2014 03:04

treaclefingers

OK, sorry for rip at ya! As a matter of fact, Carson appeared on Letterman's new show (at the time) as a show of support.

May 13, 1994 - classic stuff.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: February 21, 2014 03:12

U2 are my second favorite band ( behind the Stones!). I like the lyrics of their new songs, but boring computerized music behind Bono's voice.

BUT, them playing on 'Top of the a Rock' at sunset was amazing. What a view (over 80 stories high I believe). Good camera pans of Manhattan's skyline and the park. One of the greatest places to play! Too bad the music did not meet the beautiful setting.

Date: February 21, 2014 03:49

conan is the funniest late night host of the bunch out there now:

Date: February 21, 2014 05:06

I wonder how much longer Conan has with TBS? I was disappointed that he knocked George Lopez off the air. Conan is still Conan, but he seems diminished. The lesson is that part of it is the show itself. The Tonight Show has an established aura that greatly helped Jay. Letterman would have been great as host of the Tonight Show. I have noticed one disturbing thing, though. Absolutely none of the late show hosts are good interviewers.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home