Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New DVD of 81 tour
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:11

I just received the DVD of some of the 1981 pro-filmed 1981 shows. To me, these shows have always been a holy grale, as one of the first Stones books (by Philip Norman) gives a good description of these opening shows. Now, finally after 20 years we get to see the shows! Well, if you're just like me a fan of the 1981 tour, this 2 CD set is an absolute must have! It opens with the opening Philly show, and all is filmed with one pro camera from the first deck, with SB sound. It's just encredible to see the Stones struggling through the first show like I never seen before. All other shows are a joy to watch: Buffalo, Dallas and MSG and especially the Pontiac footage is great to watch, with all kind of backstage footage. CD2 is the best version I have ever seen of the Wembley footage, even including the opening of Under My Thumb. I always remembered this footaga as mainly close-ups, but this footage suddenly seems much better to watch. If you're a fan of the '81 tour: go get this DVD!

Mathijs

Re: New DVD of 81 tour
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:12

OK, where?

C

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:14

Not my favoutite Stones era but i do love the guitar interplay from this period - Keith and Ronnie at their best.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:24

mathijs,

tell us the label and catalogue #s

Thanks!

Posted by: Andy L ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:29

I'm guessing this is the D-Stone 81/82 DVD?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:46

Andy L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm guessing this is the D-Stone 81/82 DVD?
>
> Andrew
>
Since Mathijs is so secretivesmiling smiley, my guess is the same as Andys guess.
The D-Stone 81-82 is extremely good, I was surprised in a good way when I saw it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 14, 2005 15:17

same here - it's hot stuff.
those Keith & Ronnie backup vocals are such a joy - LoFL, and so is Mick singing both parts to LSTNT in Philadelphia because Keith was too busy. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: May 14, 2005 18:05

This has been available for the past 4 months...it's very good but a little repetitive and frustrating all the same....

Esky

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2005 18:55

I'd love a copy of this

If anyone has it and wishes to trade, please e-mail me

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: May 15, 2005 03:26

for the love of god

i can't stand it when people whet our appetites, and say "get this"

and then give us valid reasons for doing so

but they don't provide the details

like its a state secret, and only an idiot wouldnt know where to get it

so let me play the dummY

HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT GETTING THIS DVD?

Posted by: johang ()
Date: May 15, 2005 06:52

I used to have a bad audience of that 1st show and yes it is Stones struggling at their best! I seem to recall the best ever versions of shattered and neighbors. I love to get my hands on this, does it include Mona or Down the road? What is it called??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2005 10:07

as far as i know, the title is what Andrew & Vilhelm already said: D-Stone 81/82, or something a lot like that.
it's a 2-DVD set. i got it from a friend (and my copy's flawed). if i had copying capability (and a good copy) i'd offer to share it, but i don't - i'm sorry.
i'd seen the (beautiful) 82 stuff before; it's the quality of the 81 parts that surprised me so positively. but as Esky says the material is quite repetitive (ahhh, remember the good old days when the set list stayed constant throughout a tour and no one bitched about it?!); and several of the 81 segments are marred by incredibly gormless notions of what's worth filming (eg dopey shots of a balloon or a helicopter during the solos); and none of the segments are complete. no Mona, no Down the Road Apiece.
in other words it's cool to see if you have a chance, but not seeing it isn't like never seeing Hampton 81 or something.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 10:40 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 15, 2005 10:18

the details of obtaining the cd seem sketchy....however if the info is supplied , i will buy...I have always considered that tour "tops" hell who can deny that version of "Time is .." from Still Life

Date: May 15, 2005 13:08

bianca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for the love of god
>
> i can't stand it when people whet our appetites,
> and say "get this"
>
> and then give us valid reasons for doing so
>
> but they don't provide the details
>
> like its a state secret, and only an idiot wouldnt
> know where to get it
>
> so let me play the dummY
>
> HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT GETTING THIS DVD?

Well well, it;s not like it's part of a secret conspiracy or something. It's indeed the D-Stone set, it's available already for half a year, and if you check the Trade and Sell section I bet you find somebody selling or trading this.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 13:09 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 15, 2005 14:35

Mathijs,
Could you torrent it please ?

Date: May 15, 2005 14:49

If I know how, I would! But, if I remember well, it has been up some of these Torrents sites allready. Everydayjones or something.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home