Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I hope oh no.............
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 14, 2005 02:19

....will be much better on their album than live in NY. Come on......I am a big fan but let's be honest.... it's not that great......just another song.

Re: I hope oh no.............
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2005 02:43

I've been humming the tune for the last few days but I almost collapsed with disbelief at some posts that described it as a "classic".

Some people really have been so starved of new Stones material that their sense of judgement is really seriously affected.

I cant recall the last time I heard a Stones song that had such banal lyrics. They sounded like Mick either wrote them in two minutes that morning or found them in some scrapbook from when he was 17.

I liked the tune, though. I'll defer proper judgement on it until I hear a released version .

Still, it was nice to hear a new song - but a "classic" ? Dont make me laugh.

Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil, Jumpin Jack Flash, Moonlight Mile etc = classics

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 14, 2005 03:37

they'll never write a 'classic' again so its pointless comparing new songs with ancient ones. i mean, its been 25 years or whatever since the last one.

but for 2005, ONNYA has to be seen as a godsend. when you think how shit / lame Don't Stop was ANYTHING had to be better

in my opinion ONNYA is a decent little rock n roll song with some nice chunky riffs that'll have you bopping at the gig.

lets be thankful for small mercy's !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2005 09:38

I hate to admit, it almost sounds like a John Cougar Mellencamp song to me.
The more I hear it, the less I like it.
Hopefully the album version will be better, and hopfully the rest of the songs will make a much bigger bang than this one.
A classic? Time will tell...but I don't think so.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 14, 2005 09:47

It grows on me and that usually is good sign then.
I've had albums or songs that stuck in my mind immediately
and then just faded away. This one didn't do that trick but
it's growing. Still it will be great to hear the studio version.

HJofSweden

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 14, 2005 12:31

Well i think that Mick doesn`t know the lyrics quite as well as he should be. You here it with allot of live songs but it has a catchy tune. And i`m quite sure that the studio version will be much better, but it`s the first version and time that they played it live so give them a break, there will be nervous to play it the first time.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 14, 2005 13:29

This time you will be proved wrong, dear Gazza, note this.

"Maverick Pomeroy: Ok, what has this to do with hair-transplants, wigs, Sir Elton and teeth-bleeching?"

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:20

I hope Oh No Not You Again will not be the first single from the new album.
As much as I was happy to (finally) hear a new Stones song on the press conference broadcast, I hope they put out another song as the single.
It was pretty obvious that they didn't know it so well yet at the PC. Mick only made hints at the melody than singing it out full, like he did with the other songs at the PC. I'm pretty sure he gets that right for the tour, and that his vocal is perfect on the studio recording.
The song somehow reminded me of Old Habits Die Hard and of Visions Of Paradise, only that their vocal sung more, than Oh No's vocal, which came more from the rock n roll shouter tradition in the press conference .

On another note, I have to disagree: there are classics among the 90s recordings of the Stones (and even solo). Maybe it's because I wasn't around yet in the 60s that I consider these somewhat classic, but I hope you're happy for the band that their new fans can enjoy their new songs in a way that you enjoyed their stuff when the band was new to you.

Let me mention the follwing:
Highwire, Always Wanted More, Like It, Out Of Focus, Hang On To Me Tonight, Jump On Top Of Me, Blinded By Rainbows, Sparks Will Fly, Flip the Switch, You Don't Have To Mean It, Out Of Control, This Little Heart, Hypershine, Joy,
and honory mention goes to Must Be Love, because it was not written by any of them.

By the way, the new album will probably not play in computer drives and some DVD players, because of EMI/Virgin's copy protection policy. Do you think this will cause an uproar amongst longtime Stones fans?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:26

i can't get the freakin thing out of my head either - and the best part is that it's the guitar that just keeps comin back and comin back. yeah, the lyrics are maybe a little on the trivial side, but that doesn't really bother me - especially since it's such a great title/refrain for the ever-appropriate Stones to announce a new tour with. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: May 14, 2005 15:55

Maybe not a classic but for me much better than Jump on Top Of Me, Flip the Switch, Sparks Will Fly and so on...The album version will be a hit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home