Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Ruby Tuesday
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2014 02:52

DGA35
I know there has been lots of talk here in the past about whether Brian should have received a writing credit for this song. Also, has it ever been decided as to who played piano? 40 Licks credits Brian as did Bill's book but others credit Nitzsche.

It remains some what in the air and I kinda like that it does. smiling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 11, 2014 03:57

Lovely, lovely song...beautiful music and pure poetry in three and a half minutes.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 11, 2014 13:03

Well, what can I add...?
Absolutely beautiful and possibly my favourite Brian moment.
The music was worked out/arranged by Keith and Brian, even if it was not actually a co-write.

I actually prefer the 2002 remaster mix, that lacks a vocal overdub during the chorus.
This makes it less "poppy", and more in tune with the general feel.thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 11, 2014 16:48

And didn't the song sounded so damn great when they re-introduced it in STEEL WHEELS tour after so many many years? Almost brought a tear to this fan's eye... Like it did last summer at Hyde Park...

- Doxa

Doxa,

I'm glad I'm not the only fan who was quite so bowled over by their Hyde Park 2 performance of Ruby Tuesday. smiling smiley

I've seen the Stones on every tour since 1990 - 18 gigs in all and HP2 was the 1st time I'd seen them do Ruby Tuesday since my very 1st, back in 1990. I let out a huge gasp when they played the opening few chords of it back then. Special as it was, being my 1st everStones gig, I think the HP2 performance was even better, with the recorders capturing Brian Jones's original playing very well indeed.

I think it's an underrated gem of a song with a beautiful melody,

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 11, 2014 18:03

One of the great moments in the history of the Stones. The recorder of Brian is just perfect. No one would use that instrument in pop music again with such a captivating effect.
Should correct the list of musicians: Keith and Bill did play double-bass, Brian definitely not play the piano, is Jack Nietzche or Nicky Hopkins. In fact, there are two pianos in recording: a grand piano, and a tack-piano.

With Angie and Satisfaction, one of the most magical events in a Rolling Stones recording. Magic is the word!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 11, 2014 18:35

Ruby Tuesday marked a new direction and fortified the band's innovative moves made on Aftermath at the time. This great song stands its time easily. This track made me wanting to meet this mysterious lady at the time.

Date: February 11, 2014 18:44

dandelion1967

Should correct the list of musicians: Keith and Bill did play double-bass, Brian definitely not play the piano, is Jack Nietzche or Nicky Hopkins. In fact, there are two pianos in recording: a grand piano, and a tack-piano.

It's Brian and/or Jack. Definitely not Nicky Hopkins, he didn't play on a stones session until 1967.

Date: February 11, 2014 18:48

His Majesty
dandelion1967

It's Brian and/or Jack. Definitely not Nicky Hopkins, he didn't play on a stones session until 1967.

Friedrich Nietzsche on piano would have been great

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 11, 2014 19:21

runaway
His Majesty
dandelion1967

Nietzche did compose piano music!

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: February 11, 2014 19:47

dandelion1967
runaway
His Majesty
dandelion1967

Nietzche did compose piano music!

Thanks for posting and yes I did read a lot on behalf of Friedrich Nietzsche such as: Götterdämmerung and Zarathustra.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 11, 2014 21:14

Lady Jayne
grzegorz67
Their rendtion of this song at Hyde Park 2 was my personal highlight of both Hyde Park Shows. I thought it was tremendous.

I came to Hyde Park 2 with a couple of friends who are not particular Stones fans (and much younger than me!) This was one of their highlights - they couldn't believe it was a Stones melody. My favourite version was at Twickenham in the rain as it was the first time I heard it live.

For some reason the Stones seem to think of this as a "London" song and it often shows up in London setlists. Maybe they just like the sound of all of us singing along.

Ruby Tuesday was written before there was such a thing as a "typical" Stones song - and much as I love typical Stones songs, the untypical ones are some of their best - especially this.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 11, 2014 23:45

Green Lady
Lady Jayne
grzegorz67
Their rendtion of this song at Hyde Park 2 was my personal highlight of both Hyde Park Shows. I thought it was tremendous.

I came to Hyde Park 2 with a couple of friends who are not particular Stones fans (and much younger than me!) This was one of their highlights - they couldn't believe it was a Stones melody. My favourite version was at Twickenham in the rain as it was the first time I heard it live.

For some reason the Stones seem to think of this as a "London" song and it often shows up in London setlists. Maybe they just like the sound of all of us singing along.

Interesting thought that they play it more in London than elsewhere - I do think it is very evocative of that era and place - London mid 60's - so maybe they are a little more sentimental than we think!
Ruby Tuesday was written before there was such a thing as a "typical" Stones song - and much as I love typical Stones songs, the untypical ones are some of their best - especially this.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 12, 2014 06:12

His Majesty
dandelion1967

I would tend to go for Jack on the piano as he's playing piano on "Let's Spend The Night Together" and it would have been easier to have Brian on recorder and Jack on piano for the recording IMO.

Are there any examples of Stones songs where Brian is playing the main piano parts when Jack was available?

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs
While reading the book " the making of Let it Bleed" by Sean Egan, I came accros a remark that the piano on Ruby Tuesday is not played by Brian Jones as I have always thought, but that it is played by Jack Nitzche. I checked all ABKCO releases I own, and indeed, Mr. Nitzsche is credited for playing the keyboards on this song, as is on Let's Spend the Night Together and Paint it Black.

I guess Jones' sitting behind the piano on the Top of the Pops playback could have had us mislead for all those years. If it is indeed true, it does make it less likely that Jones (partially) wrote this song, as is claimed by Marianne Faithfull.

Mathijs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 06:28 by howled.

Date: February 12, 2014 06:35

The actual recorder part is not the main melody, but is playing counter melodies.

I think the image of Brian miming piano on the music shows and the image of Brian as a musical pied piper minstrel with a recorder plays into the notion that he might have had something to do with writing the song.

The song itself is right up Keith's street in terms of Keith's ballad side ie Tears Go By, Angie etc.

Very simple chords with a couple of keys used (tonal centres) and a IIm V7 I (while the sun is bright) and Keith likes to use the V7 I in ballads and it gives them a pretty sort of sound.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 06:40 by howled.

Date: February 12, 2014 06:57

Another thing is that Brian is playing some way out notes at the start of the recorder decent in the "When you change" section.

But they are mixed somewhat in the background in comparison to Mick's voice so they don't stand out that much, but on Brian's live version they stand out more and basically sound a bit off.

Why Brian is playing these notes, who knows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 07:00 by howled.

Date: February 12, 2014 09:48

<I would tend to go for Jack on the piano as he's playing piano on "Let's Spend The Night Together">

So did Keith...

"Yeah, I played piano on Let's Spend the Night Together, and then I overdubbed the guitar. To me that song was a progression from Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?. It was like Have You Seen Your Mother was a step toward Let's Spend the Night Together, because the chords and the structure of the song are very similar. And the fact that I'd wrote them both on piano, one was almost the same as the other.
- Keith Richards, 1982"

Date: February 12, 2014 10:05

howled
The actual recorder part is not the main melody, but is playing counter melodies.

I think the image of Brian miming piano on the music shows and the image of Brian as a musical pied piper minstrel with a recorder plays into the notion that he might have had something to do with writing the song.

The song itself is right up Keith's street in terms of Keith's ballad side ie Tears Go By, Angie etc.

Very simple chords with a couple of keys used (tonal centres) and a IIm V7 I (while the sun is bright) and Keith likes to use the V7 I in ballads and it gives them a pretty sort of sound.

Jones never mimed playing piano on the song. Mathijs was wrong about that and also that all ABKCO releases say Nitzsche played piano on ruby Tuesday.

Date: February 12, 2014 10:12

<Mathijs was wrong about that and also that all ABKCO releases say Nitzsche played piano on ruby Tuesday.>

He said he checked all ABKCO releases he owns smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 10:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 12, 2014 10:16

howled
Another thing is that Brian is playing some way out notes at the start of the recorder decent in the "When you change" section.

But they are mixed somewhat in the background in comparison to Mick's voice so they don't stand out that much, but on Brian's live version they stand out more and basically sound a bit off.

Nonsense, not way out at all. He's descending down scale whilst partially harmonising and playing the melody.

As for live version, try playing recorder instage with no monitors and a loud band.

Date: February 12, 2014 10:23

DandelionPowderman
<Mathijs was wrong about that and also that all ABKCO releases say Nitzsche played piano on ruby Tuesday.>

Very few even have any info in them to check. winking smiley The singles collections and R&R Circus and that's about it.

The singles collection say's Jack played the piano, 40 Licks say's Brian did ... ALO can't remember.

Meanwhile it remains ace! smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2014 10:30

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Very few even have any info in them to check. winking smiley The singles collections and R&R Circus and that's about it.

The singles collection say's Jack played the piano, 40 Licks say's Brian did ... ALO can't remember.

Meanwhile it remains ace! smiling smiley

Absolutely! thumbs up

Date: February 12, 2014 11:00

His Majesty
howled

Jones never mimed playing piano on the song. Mathijs was wrong about that and also that all ABKCO releases say Nitzsche played piano on ruby Tuesday.

I thought they mostly used backing tracks and mimed and maybe Mick sang live on top of it.

I think Brown Sugar on Top Of The Pops was done like that and quite a few other shows.

Where is the organ coming from if it's not from a backing track?

Date: February 12, 2014 11:02

His Majesty
howled

Nonsense, not way out at all. He's descending down scale whilst partially harmonising and playing the melody.

As for live version, try playing recorder instage with no monitors and a loud band.

His choice of notes is a bit out there to my ears.

I might try to work out what they actually are.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:07

Howled, Jones didn't mime playing piano on Ruby Tuesday.

Keith mimed the piano when they appeared playing that song so Mathijs point about Jones miming piano to Ruby Tuesday misleading us is null and void.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 11:17 by His Majesty.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:15

<Keith mimed the piano>

Isn't that interesting? He did that on LSTNT as well, a song we know he played/co-played piano on..

Date: February 12, 2014 11:19

DandelionPowderman
<Keith mimed the piano>

Isn't that interesting? He did that on LSTNT as well, a song we know he played/co-played piano on..

No. smiling smiley

Brian mimed the piano on LSTNT.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:20

His Majesty
Howled, Jones didn't mime playing piano on Ruby Tuesday.

Keith mimed the piano when they appeared playing that song.

I meant Brian miming the "Let's Spend The Night Together" piano on Top Of The Pops when it was Jack that played the original piano part.

I didn't mean the piano part on Ruby Tuesday and miming.

I meant that some see Brian playing the piano on Top Of The Pops and might think Brian played the original "Let's Spend The Night Together" piano part and that they also might think that Brian played the piano on Ruby Tuesday by association.

Keith might possibly have played piano on "Let's Spend The Night Together" but why play it when Jack was hanging around and it would be better to get him to do it IMO.

Maybe Keith played some piano things on top of Jack's, I don't know.

That's what Jack and Nicky did, play piano parts, and Stu as well.

No real need for Keith to play piano parts or Brian to play piano parts, even if Keith wrote some of them on piano.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 11:28 by howled.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:24

It was brought up via Mathijs point, which was a wrong one.

Anyway, we have footage of Brian playing Ruby Tuesday on piano.

Date: February 12, 2014 11:32

howled

Maybe Keith played some piano things on top of Jack's, I don't know.

That's what Jack and Nicky did, play piano parts, and Stu as well.

Yes that's what he did.

Keep in mind there are many photos showing Jones playing piano during Between The Buttons sessions at Olympic, some with Jack playing organ in background.

smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2014 11:52

His Majesty
It was brought up via Mathijs point, which was a wrong one.

Anyway, we have footage of Brian playing Ruby Tuesday on piano.

We sure have, but he plays it differently. There are some passages that are similar, though.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home