Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Ruby Tuesday
Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 14, 2014 06:56

with sssoul
One of my favourite photos, of a wonderfully beautiful moment

- November 1966 by Tom Keylock (courtesy of BrownEyedGirll)

Jack has it right about the chalk marks on the neck (like guitar frets) some of which can be seen in the photo.

Jack (or the editor) has got the names mixed up though, maybe due to memory and all that.

So, Jack was at the session for Ruby Tuesday.

(On Ruby Tuesday) I over-dubbed double-bass, with me selecting the notes and Keith bowing the strings.

- Bill Wyman, Stone Alone, 1990

Nitzsche prefers to think of the early recording sessions as madcap exercises in music - making, where the finished tracks came together magically through sheer spontaneous energy. When they ran into trouble playing the string bass on "Ruby Tuesday," Keith Richard laid the instrument on the floor, chalked each note on the neck, and pressed the proper chalk marks while Brian bowed the strings. Crawdaddy 1974

[www.spectropop.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 07:01 by howled.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 14, 2014 11:13

Him knowing that doesn't prove he was there, either when the main backing track was recorded or when the double bass was overdubbed.

However, we know he was there because we have been told he was there and there are photos of him there to back that up.

That he was there isn't being questioned. smiling smiley

A further hint that it might have been jack playing the main piano (keep in mind there are two) comes from Mick remarking in January 1967 that parts of the piano playing "sounds a bit like Chopin", Jack played on, arranged and recorded an album of Chopin's music in 1966.

You can hear clips of it here:

[www.allmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 12:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 14, 2014 11:26

No it doesn't prove Jack was there 100%, but likely to have been there.

Jack's there but is Brian there?

Andrew seems to think Brian wasn't often around.

Date: February 14, 2014 11:48

howled
No it doesn't prove Jack was there 100%, but likely to have been there.

Jack's there but is Brian there?

Andrew seems to think Brian wasn't often around.

Why likely? He could simply have been told about it.

Yes, Brian is there in same photos as Jack and more too, shown playing vibraphone, grand piano and recorder.

In the many photos available from November 1966 sessions at Olympic Jack is only shown playing harpsichord and organ.

Stu is shown at an upright piano.

It doesn't mean all that much, but some photos show that during the sessions Jones played piano whilst Jack played organ.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 12:15 by His Majesty.

Posted by: bleachboy ()
Date: February 27, 2014 15:05

Hi everybody, this is my first post here, though I've been reading you all for a long long while. Here's my two cents, it has probably been posted before, this 1967 clip from Italian tv shows Brian playing Ruby Tuesday on the piano

I would be great to hear what Brian says without the italian dub, maybe someone can transcribe it for us?

As far as LSTNT is concered, Brian did play the piano on the TOTP version, I guess simply because when this song was performed live, he played organ (

Date: February 27, 2014 15:23

Yeah, it would have been good to actually hear what he was saying in the italian clip.

Keith claimed that both himself and Jack played piano on Let's Spend The Night Together, though.

Posted by: bleachboy ()
Date: February 27, 2014 20:25

Of course. But the piano is so prominent on LSTNT that not having anyone playing it on the show would have looked strange. Jones does play the organ on the record (and live)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-27 20:26 by bleachboy.

Date: February 28, 2014 00:01

Transcription...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 4, 2014 20:39

Ruby Tuesday hit number 1 in the US on this day, the 4th of March, in 1967. Happy Birthday, of sorts, to this lovely Stones ballad.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 16:25 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 14, 2014 15:17

One of the most prominent tracks from the pop era, that I don't like. The composition is complex, though, but I don't like the guitar missing studio version. Better the guitar driven live versions in 89/90, great acoustic by Keith.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:51

simple answers to the question of who played what i think....

the band has very little incentive to credit anyone other than the band members on a track.

i believe it's safe to assume that if a non-Stones member is credited as having played on a track, they did. and probably that sometimes no credit was given when it was deserved.

equating playing a part with having written the part is dangerous. brian and keith were both extremely inventive musicians. there's no question that they instructed others on what to play many times. though, of course, not necessarily all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 13:54 by sonomastone.

Posted by: ozstonesfan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:16

It is Cash your dreams not Catch.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 10, 2014 04:41

My seven year old daughter has moved from Rainbow, to BS to COTM to this as her favourite song. PIB is going to supersede it any day now tho I can tell...

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 10, 2014 04:42

Ps - at the risk of being killed here I think the version the had going in 89/90 is the best ever - including the original cut.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:20

OzHeavyThrobber
Ps - at the risk of being killed here I think the version the had going in 89/90 is the best ever - including the original cut.

I too was blown away by that version. They played it at my 1st ever Stones show, on that tour, (back to back with Angie). As soon as I recognised the opening few bars I let out a loud screachy squak of joy (and I'm male!) and the crowd in my area turned around and looked at me winking smiley

The version they played at HP2 last year was also fabulous IMHO and I rate it as my personal highlight of the 6 shows I've seen since O2 show 1 in Nov 12.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:22

Top 15 stones songs

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:37

Isn't it pretty obvious that Brian played quite a big role on this song?

I mean, Brian had great influence on Aftermath, Between The Buttons and Satanic and those albums would not have been as adventeous without him.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:48

Blueranger
Isn't it pretty obvious that Brian played quite a big role on this song?

I mean, Brian had great influence on Aftermath, Between The Buttons and Satanic and those albums would not have been as adventeous without him.

Good point and almost certainly true. Brian's versatile musicianship added a lot to their sound up to 1967. Paint it Black is another of very many examples of that. A self destructive tortured genius. The band did very well indeed to re-invent themselves after his loss, effectively in 1967 or so.

But sticking to the topic, the modern day Stones' live version of this song does credit to the original, in my opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 3, 2018 19:26

Bill Wyman recalls 'unusual' collaboration for Ruby Tuesday

Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Martin Kielty
November 2, 2018

When the Rolling Stones decided they wanted their 1966 song “Ruby Tuesday” to have a classical feel, bassist Bill Wyman was faced with the challenge of playing an instrument he couldn’t comfortably manage.

The result, as he told Uncle Joe Benson on the Ultimate Classic Rock Nights radio show, was to share the duties with bandmate Keith Richards, in what turned out to be one of the band’s more unusual experiments.

“It’s a double bass with a bow, but I’ve got small hands, and I can’t play a regular double bass,” Wyman said. “I did it a bit on things like ‘Factory Girl’ and things like that. I’ve played a double bass on very simple fingering.”

When it came to “Ruby Tuesday,” he admitted he “wasn’t good enough” to perform both the left- and right-hand tasks. “So Keith said, 'You finger the notes and I’ll do the bow,'” he recalled. “He was drawing, and I was doing the fingering, and I could focus on it and get the right notes.”

He added that there "was a lot of collaboration like that in the ‘60s with all those songs, you know. Brian [Jones] doing special things. … You just experimented and came up with something, and [‘Ruby Tuesday’] was one of the things. But it was quite an unusual one.”

Be sure to listen to Ultimate Classic Rock Nights on more than 50 stations across the U.S. from 7PM until midnight, Monday through Friday. You can see the list of radio stations where it airs here.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2018 19:48

This song is nerve wracking - Rather Listen to the The Turtles "You Baby"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 3, 2018 20:02

Chris Fountain
This song is nerve wracking - Rather Listen to the The Turtles "You Baby"

Catch your dreams before they slip away. cool smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2018 20:48

MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain
This song is nerve wracking - Rather Listen to The Turtles "You Baby"

Catch your dreams before they slip away. cool smiley

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 4, 2018 13:43

I used to sing Ruby Tuesday as a lullaby to my kids (who unfortunately didn't become Stones fans). Now in their 20s they still can complete lines like "Who could - hang a name on you".

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home