Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nicaraguan Benefit Show
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:17

I heard this famous bootleg for the first time yesterday. Interesting show. After one listen my impression is that they were hit and miss that night. They mixed up the set list instead of giving another standard STP show to an audience that probably saw them a few months prior. At times it was sloppy and at other times it gelled together. Rte 66 is really tight , while Its all over now drags. really cool No Expectations and Stray Cat. Jagger sounds bored during Dead Flowers. Something about TD sounds a bit off, yet its one of the more energetic versions I have heard.

Re: Nicaraguan Benefit Show
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:19

Date: February 6, 2014 22:20

yes, that is it.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:23

I wish there was a high quality soundboard release of this show. There are tighter ones from the same era, no doubt, but the setlist was definitely interesting.
Or they could release the special songs from this concert along with great takes of the common tracks from Australia. Wishes wishes...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:31

I was there. MT's guitar really was crazy loud, which threw off the balance of the group, so it sounded hit or miss in the hall. The set list was very cool.

Date: February 6, 2014 22:50

Yeah, that is one thing I noticed, Taylor was way louder and some of the time you couldn't hear Keith. I thought maybe it was just the recording.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:57

I bought it back then, pity they didn't taped it officially and mixed it and released it...as for Mick's Taylors keithar ;o) looks like they taped it in front of his speaker .........one of the highlight for me back then was It's all over now..........still is

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 23:19 by NICOS.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 6, 2014 23:00

I read somewhere that the boot was recorded by someone in the crew from behind the stage, which would perhaps explain the unbalanced mix. But of course, if Taylor was loud even for the audience, that's probably why he was loud on the recording as well. (Personally I prefer a loud Taylor to a loud Richards if I can't have 'em perfectly balanced.)

They probably did Midnight Rambler as an encore as well, which Harold Colson explains on his ambitious research site.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 6, 2014 23:06

I tried to play along with my guitar and I had to tune it up a notch above the "normal" tuning. I wonder if that recording runs a little faster than it should. Very good show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 7, 2014 03:56

when i was sitting at the eagles the other night i was thinking- wow- this show was HERE smiling smiley

Date: February 7, 2014 03:58

some great shots- for me, this always represented the bridge between the '72 and '73 tours - and the transformation

[jamesfortunephotography.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 04:17 by hbwriter.

Date: February 7, 2014 04:01

LieB
I read somewhere that the boot was recorded by someone in the crew from behind the stage, which would perhaps explain the unbalanced mix. But of course, if Taylor was loud even for the audience, that's probably why he was loud on the recording as well. (Personally I prefer a loud Taylor to a loud Richards if I can't have 'em perfectly balanced.)

They probably did Midnight Rambler as an encore as well, which Harold Colson explains on his ambitious research site.

They did not do an encore.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: February 7, 2014 04:32

TeddyB1018
They did not do an encore.

What? The reporters at the show say they did.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 7, 2014 04:52

They did do the encore...at least that was the conclusion of an extensive discussion here a few years ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 04:54 by scottkeef.

Date: February 7, 2014 06:20

Rocks off lists MR is the encore. It wasn't taped.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 7, 2014 07:03

hbwriter
when i was sitting at the eagles the other night i was thinking- wow- this show was HERE smiling smiley

I was doing that a lot as well when I was there for the Eagles...mainly thinking about all the shows I saw at The Forum in the '80s during my formative concert-going years...it was quite nostalgic. Saw the Stones there, too, in 2006!

Date: February 7, 2014 09:03

Jah Paul
hbwriter

I was doing that a lot as well when I was there for the Eagles...mainly thinking about all the shows I saw at The Forum in the '80s during my formative concert-going years...it was quite nostalgic. Saw the Stones there, too, in 2006!

me too! smiling smiley

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:12

Great detailed article on the show in Feb 1973 Rolling Stone by Ben Fong-Torres

[www.rollingstone.com]

and they definitely did MR as an encore:

"And for an encore, the world's greatest rock & roll band performs "Midnight Rambler," Mick leaned into the mike now to play harp; sprawled, now, on top of the painted dragons, covered, now, by smoke. Finally, on the duralon, two hours since this costume ball began, Jagger is crawling, slowed down by the weight of his own performance. There was no way the 18,625, plus 30 crashers, could ask for more. The show had been nearly five hours long, the Stones performed for nearly two of them."

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:15

Back in the day, there were rumors that the show had been filmed. I think that started because of the news clips of Brown Sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 16:15 by drbryant.

Date: February 7, 2014 16:21

<At times it was sloppy and at other times it gelled together.>

Like on ANY Stones tour. I don't think there are exceptions grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:26

Such a great show! Would love to hear it in great sound quality or better still: with footage added!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:44

This has been covered here a number of times. MR was played as an encore. It was the third time I witnessed it performed at the Forum, but the only time from behind the stage. A photograph, memories and newspaper accounts confirm the point. The reason it was not recorded is clear. The last song of the set proper (SFM) is cut on the recording. The taper ran out of tape.

It is an interesting show and it is hit and miss, but the hits are thrilling. For better or worse this show marks Taylor's ascendancy as the dominant musical force in the band. For the rest of the year whether you think he plays or over plays it is his contribution that remains the enduring moment in the band's history. Unlike '69 one gets the feeling that Taylor is playing more for his own amusement than to accompany Keith. But what remains is some of the best music the band ever played. At the time he was a young man desiring to make is mark. Much of the time he hit it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-07 18:59 by pmk251.

Date: February 8, 2014 02:36

Wow. I guess my memory is going. I was sure they didn't do an encore at the Forum in either '72 or '73. I guess it was '69 and '72 that I saw no encore, and had the idea that they generally did not do them. This is depressing! Anyway, the sound mix was dodgy, I remember that for sure. It wasn't so much that !T's guitar was overpowering Keith's, it was overpowering the vocals! Fun anyway.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 8, 2014 16:24

There is footage available from brown sugar..

Date: February 8, 2014 17:04

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there was video of this packed away in a dark corner of the archives. As far as audio, I've been informed by those a lot more "in the know" that myself that Keith was in the habit of having a cassette run off the sb of every show they played for him to listen to soon after.Of course who knows how well he kept up with them! I do know someone that worked for the security team that did all the southern Calif shows in 1999 that personally wintnessed a videotape of each show being left backstage for Keith.He said the biggest temptation he had was not picking that tape up and splitting but knew it would cost him a very good gig!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 17:05 by scottkeef.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 8, 2014 17:28

Eleanor Rigby
There is footage available from brown sugar..

But how to get it??

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2014 18:39

scottkeef
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there was video of this packed away in a dark corner of the archives. As far as audio, I've been informed by those a lot more "in the know" that myself that Keith was in the habit of having a cassette run off the sb of every show they played for him to listen to soon after.Of course who knows how well he kept up with them! I do know someone that worked for the security team that did all the southern Calif shows in 1999 that personally wintnessed a videotape of each show being left backstage for Keith.He said the biggest temptation he had was not picking that tape up and splitting but knew it would cost him a very good gig!

Keith "lost" at least one of his sb tapes, the first part of the Naples 1982 gig, thankfully rescued for posterity by the TSP bootleg label for their "Europe '82" release!

All these private cassettes were obviously not properly stored in the band's archives; they may, however, have survived the times in the personal collections of individual band members.

Date: February 8, 2014 20:08

I'm sure you are right about those cassettes. I could easily see Keith "losing on purpose"OR not many of them. I don't imagine he ever thought of keeping every single one of them at the time and I could see him giving a few away. It has crossed my mind that perhaps those few Australian sbs may have originated there? but that's just guessing on my part!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 20:09 by scottkeef.

Date: February 8, 2014 20:23

i have that footage someplace- will dig it up - classic- mick in the tiara

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2014 20:34

Yes, those Australian sbs are other good examples - they obviously originate from primitive, or better - raw,cassette mixing desk dubs: straight, unmixed line recordings. Detroit 1975, Frankfurt 1976 or those Earl's Court 1976 also come to mind. Pittsburgh 1972, too.

The existence of the Australian sbs is a good indication that the Nicaraguan Benefit Show from the very same time frame may also still exist as a raw cassette sb - but so far not available to the common man, however!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 20:40 by retired_dog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home