Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 'Let's Spend The Night Together' the movie
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 17, 2014 16:25

Hope the person who claims the Japanese version blu-ray is speed corrected as I just ordered it from CDJapan along With the 69 Hyde Park blu-ray.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: February 17, 2014 22:31

deadegad
The trouble with the 81 tour was the sound system and/or unplugged guitars: much of the time the audience heard only noise and not music so much so infact that if it were not for Jagger's singing the audience could not tell what song was being played. It was that bad.

The Stones should have been standing at the exit appologizing to the fans and refunding their money.

That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. Were you there? Where? I saw three stadium shows on that tour & the sound was more than fine. If you saw a show with such bad sound say which one. Don't generalize.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:19

Best part is when Jagger looks at the camera and does that laugh in Under My Thumb. Hilarious.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 19, 2014 17:37

thumbprint
deadegad
The trouble with the 81 tour was the sound system and/or unplugged guitars: much of the time the audience heard only noise and not music so much so infact that if it were not for Jagger's singing the audience could not tell what song was being played. It was that bad.

The Stones should have been standing at the exit appologizing to the fans and refunding their money.

That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. Were you there? Where? I saw three stadium shows on that tour & the sound was more than fine. If you saw a show with such bad sound say which one. Don't generalize.

Both Philly shows and two New Jersey arena shows. I heard comments then about the 'noise' The Stones 'played' at all of those shows and I also read a few others here at IORR making the same observation based on their attendance of shows on that tour.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 19, 2014 19:38

deadegad

You gotta be kidding me. I was at those same shows that you were plus many more on that tour. Fantastic shows

Date: February 19, 2014 19:50

michaelsavage
deadegad

You gotta be kidding me. I was at those same shows that you were plus many more on that tour. Fantastic shows

No I am not kidding. Philly was a train wreck of both musical sloppiness, and, more often than not, bad sound. They had improved by the time of the New Jersey shows and the sound was much better but still sucked at times. I heard this from other fans then and right here at IORR in other threads some years back.

With regards to the performance Mick, Bill, and Charlie were not the issue, but, rather, Keith and Ronnie were. Rumors suggested that Jagger rightfully wanted to fire Ron before the tour becuse he was messed up and not playing well but Keith stopped it.

I read somewhere that after the first Phiily show that The Stones knew that they had blown it big-time.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:03

deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

No I am not kidding. Philly was a train wreck of both musical sloppiness, and, more often than not, bad sound. They had improved by the time of the New Jersey shows and the sound was much better but still sucked at times. I heard this from other fans then and right here at IORR in other threads some years back.

With regards to the performance Mick, Bill, and Charlie were not the issue, but, rather, Keith and Ronnie were. Rumors suggested that Jagger rightfully wanted to fire Ron before the tour becuse he was messed up and not playing well but Keith stopped it.

I read somewhere that after the first Phiily show that The Stones knew that they had blown it big-time.

Interesting contrast of opinions and just goes to show how we perceive things differently.

I was not at either Philly show, I went to one of the Hartford shows, but based on the bootlegs I have the playing was sloppy as hell in those two tour openers and the band sounded tremendously under rehearsed IMHO. Listen to the Philly shows and then listen to the Hampton PPV SB and it sounds like two different bands.

Don't get me wrong I actually enjoy the Philly shows even as sloppy as they are but, man, they were not some of the better performances of the tour.

Date: February 19, 2014 20:12

oldschool
deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

Interesting contrast of opinions and just goes to show how we perceive things differently.

I was not at either Philly show, I went to one of the Hartford shows, but based on the bootlegs I have the playing was sloppy as hell in those two tour openers and the band sounded tremendously under rehearsed IMHO. Listen to the Philly shows and then listen to the Hampton PPV SB and it sounds like two different bands.

Don't get me wrong I actually enjoy the Philly shows even as sloppy as they are but, man, they were not some of the better performances of the tour.

Beleive or not, I too enjoy listening to the Philly shows. It is amazing what a soundboard captures as to opposed to what we actually heard then live. I also saw the PPV live at that time and marvled at how much better the sound and performace were.

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:40

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: February 20, 2014 00:41

saw this tour in Houston, zztop and fab. tbirds opened up great show, my 1st stones show,opened up with under my thumb

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:34

dgodkin
saw this tour in Houston, zztop and fab. tbirds opened up great show, my 1st stones show,opened up with under my thumb

Wow, ZZ top and fabulous thunderbirds opening for the Stones! Well, thats one show I'd like to have attended..... cool smiley

Date: February 20, 2014 06:42

deadegad
oldschool
deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

Beleive or not, I too enjoy listening to the Philly shows. It is amazing what a soundboard captures as to opposed to what we actually heard then live. I also saw the PPV live at that time and marvled at how much better the sound and performace were.

Here are some old IORR post about 1981:

"Re: who went to see The Rolling Stones in Concert 1981?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 18, 2012 22:04

I saw them in '81 at the Checkerdome in St. Louis, my second Stones show. Honesty and unfortunately I was so wasted I can't remember much of it. I do remember that the sound wasn't that good from my seat and I spend much time trying to get a bit closer see what was happening on the stage. peace"

" That's the first time I've ever heard it -- besides when I was there over 30 years ago. The playing does sound pretty sloppy, but not quite as bad as I remembered (IMO). Except for the Let It Bleed trainwreck..."

"osted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 12, 2012 16:02

Embarassing tour. Coked up, sped up hyper playing. Lame, Lame set list. Lousy stage and set. Jagger at his worst. Cherry pickers and dancing girls. If they ever did a show like this today they would be the most embarassing act in the history of R n R. It was a joke."

"I recall that during Let It Bleed, Ronnie was playing in the right key (C), but the problem was that he forgot the proper chord changes... Prompting Mick to stop the song in the middle and say something like "No, Ron... it goes back to C there." To which Ronnie replied something like, "I thought it goes to F there..." Mick: "No, C."

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 26, 2012 17:35

schillid
I did... Philadelphia 1st show of the tour.
Bad show, lots of mistakes. A total mess.
WORST PERFORMANCE BY THE STONES (OR ANY BAND) EVER.

+1

I remember them trying to play Let it bleed. They had to start it over three or four times. The timing was way off, it was like they were each playing a different song. I was right up front and people were booing and Keith gave them the finger. You could see he was upset and angry. I even recall him saying he regretted that performance.

A few years later Keith, Woody and Dylan played live aid in Philly also. That was another performance I watched in horror. It wasen't until the next opening day of Steel Wheels in 89 that they redeemed themselves. But even during that show there was a power outage right at the very end of shattered which was the third song that delayed the show about 15 minutes. I thought to myself that the Stones were jinxed in Philly, but then the lights came back on and the rest of the show was magic.

Open Day Philly 81.....George Thorogood and Journey were the opening acts. '

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 26, 2012 23:52

MisterO

schillid
WORST PERFORMANCE BY THE STONES (OR ANY BAND) EVER.

+1

I remember them trying to play Let it bleed.

TRAIN WRECK!

Paraphrased:
Mick: "Stop... It's goes to C there."
Woody: "I thought it goes to F..."
Mick: "No... it's C"

Yikes!"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 25, 2012 19:40

WORST PERFORMANCE BY THE STONES (OR ANY BAND) EVER."

There's more . . .. I still love 'em but they should send me a big check.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2014 10:59

That's Keith messing up isnt it? I think it's apretty good show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 11:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 20, 2014 17:08

crholmstrom
rob51
Wish I could have been at either of these shows. Caught them in Seattle instead and they were blowin off the stage by the J.Geils Band.

I went to both of those Seattle shows. J Geils were good but I wouldn't got that far!smoking smiley

I saw the tour in Pontiac and there was a large contingent who, for years, said SANTANA blew the stones off the stage. As if.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: February 20, 2014 17:18

Redhotcarpet
That's Keith messing up isnt it? I think it's apretty good show.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 20, 2014 17:39

deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

I was at the Buffalo show and it sucked big time. The sound was awful and the playing was awful.The tour was awful. You can even see in LSTNT that the fans are bored and disappointed. You can see it in videos of other shows also like Dallas. It was their worst tour ever and its not even close. Most shows was them just butchering their own songs for 2 hours.

One thing I notice about some fans of rock bands. Some just can't say anything negative about their band. If they go to a show they will always come back and say it was great no matter what. I used to work with a huge Stones fans who saw them many times and he would always act like all concerts he went to were even and great, because hey it was the Stones. Don't get it. I go for the sound first and foremost and if it sucks, it sucks,

I spend 8 years thinking the Stones were nothing but hype as a live band, until they killed it during the Steel Wheels tour.

Look at the fans at about 2 minute mark and on. This is the opening song of the most hyped tour ever and look at them. You can tell just by that whats going on. This sums up most of the 1981 tour. Any concert where I saw them after this the sound and playing was great an the crowd was going crazy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 18:45 by stanlove.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:38

deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

dead wrong . i was there in philly for the tour opener and the sound was fantastic . i also have the soundboard that also proves this true .

Date: February 20, 2014 18:51

TheGreek
deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

dead wrong . i was there in philly for the tour opener and the sound was fantastic . i also have the soundboard that also proves this true .

No I am right on target! I was at both Philly 1981 shows and moved to diffrent locations during those shows to find better sound -- but to no avail. There were times when the sound came throough better than at other times during these shows but the sound was awful most of the time and the music was sloppy.

Having a soundboard does not porve that the crowd received good sound. They call it it a soundboard for a reason -- what comes out of the speakers is not what comes out of a soundboard.

Date: February 20, 2014 18:55

stanlove
deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

I was at the Buffalo show and it sucked big time. The sound was awful and the playing was awful.The tour was awful. You can even see in LSTNT that the fans are bored and disappointed. You can see it in videos of other shows also like Dallas. It was their worst tour ever and its not even close. Most shows was them just butchering their own songs for 2 hours.

One thing I notice about some fans of rock bands. Some just can't say anything negative about their band. If they go to a show they will always come back and say it was great no matter what. I used to work with a huge Stones fans who saw them many times and he would always act like all concerts he went to were even and great, because hey it was the Stones. Don't get it. I go for the sound first and foremost and if it sucks, it sucks,

I spend 8 years thinking the Stones were nothing but hype as a live band, until they killed it during the Steel Wheels tour.

Look at the fans at about 2 minute mark and on. This is the opening song of the most hyped tour ever and look at them. You can tell just by that whats going on. This sums up most of the 1981 tour. Any concert where I saw them after this the sound and playing was great an the crowd was going crazy.

Some friends made the journey to Buffalo but I opted out due to the debacle in Philly. N.J. turned out to be better but with bad sound here and there -- not nearly as bad as Philly however.

I do like the perforamce from Napoli "We Love you Ronnie" and hopefully that is what the fans actually heard.

Date: February 20, 2014 19:04

What comes out of the speakers, you think?

Firstly, the mics capture the sound from the amps, then the sound is picked up by the board and finally the mix comes out from the speakers.

The difference is that you'll only hear the sound signals, and not the air nor the audience in the soundscape of the soundboard recording.

Most of the 81 recordings are dry mono soundboard recordings.

Date: February 20, 2014 19:28

DandelionPowderman
What comes out of the speakers, you think?

Firstly, the mics capture the sound from the amps, then the sound is picked up by the board and finally the mix comes out from the speakers.

The difference is that you'll only hear the sound signals, and not the air nor the audience in the soundscape of the soundboard recording.

Most of the 81 recordings are dry mono soundboard recordings.

Unfortunately what came out of the speakers at both Philly shows was mostly indistinct noise. The instruments were very, very absent. Mick's voice came through better. If it were not for Mick's voice coming through the fans could not even tell what song was being played.

During those shows I heard many fans complain about it. It was hugely disappointing for many. As I noted in this thread earlier, the Stones themselves knew they blew it.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:10

The speed up is that only on region 2 dvd's or with all dvd versions? Otherwise it's only because of the PAL-system.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:46

I was at both Philly shows and they were great.

They played their hearts out because many said because
of the short show they had in 78.

I loved the 78 Philly show to...HAHA.. I loved the
fast driving punkish sound...

I have no idea what anyone is talking about the poor sound in 81..

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:40

Yep, both Philly shows were really good

Date: February 20, 2014 23:58

hot stuff

Well you may not have any idea but The Stones themselves sure did.

michaelsavage
Yep, both Philly shows were really good

Many people I spoke with on both days disagreed.

Here is a headline from Rolling Stone magazine:

Kurt Loder November 12, 1981

The Stones' Sloppy Start
First two shows in Philadelphia were marred by sound issues, but the Stones played on

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

[www.rollingstone.com]

There were other bad reviews back then too.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 21, 2014 04:35

hot stuff

How many Stones shows have you seen and which were the worst shows?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 21, 2014 04:51

Many people have a bad opinion of that tour, and I believe it is due to this movie, when in fact it was a very good tour with the most ideal line up of players in the band as the world has to offer.

Date: February 21, 2014 05:16

Carnaby
Many people have a bad opinion of that tour, and I believe it is due to this movie, when in fact it was a very good tour with the most ideal line up of players in the band as the world has to offer.

Their performance definetly got better in 81 as did the sound although it still had issues. I cannot speak to the Europe 82 leg regarding sound but I do enjoy some boots from 82.

Date: February 21, 2014 14:55

stanlove
deadegad
michaelsavage
deadegad

Using tracks from the LSTNT movie is not a good comparison, as the sound in the film is very bad.

I reckon this is more representative for the tour?

LEEDS:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 14:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2014 00:03

3:10 in the Tempe, AR Under My Thumb is the hilarious thing I mentioned.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home