Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT- Unwritten rules of your country
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:12

Another one from the American Southeast:

When speaking negatively about someone, always end the sentence/thought with "Bless their/her/his Heart" and all is OK. As a non-native, even after close to 30 years living in the south, I still get a chuckle hearing an elderly person make an incredibly condeming statement about someone and end it with Bless Their Heart. Example: Johnny always was a worthless good for nothing lay about, bless his heart. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:20

kleermaker
Title5Take1
Jerry said that when she was pregnant with Elizabeth, she went to some Lamaze-type classes that husbands were expected to attend. Mick said he wouldn't go because, "I'm too English."

Great pretext and besides he's right. It's a typical American white thing I guess.

Mick is right. I did Lamaze with my firstborn and found it to be utterly useless. Even had the soothing music, which just ended up irritating the heck out of me. The nurses know what they are doing and are actually helpful. I don't know anyone who did the breathing-partner thing after their first baby. Unless you can take over for me, get outta here...argh!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:45

latebloomer
kleermaker
Title5Take1
Jerry said that when she was pregnant with Elizabeth, she went to some Lamaze-type classes that husbands were expected to attend. Mick said he wouldn't go because, "I'm too English."

Great pretext and besides he's right. It's a typical American white thing I guess.

Mick is right. I did Lamaze with my firstborn and found it to be utterly useless. Even had the soothing music, which just ended up irritating the heck out of me. The nurses know what they are doing and are actually helpful. I don't know anyone who did the breathing-partner thing after their first baby. Unless you can take over for me, get outta here...argh!!! grinning smiley

Yep you're very right. My wife didn't do anything before giving birth to our daughter. Once in the hospital (on medical indication) it all went well and I could help her by just being there, without puffing or other nonsensical behaviour.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2014 19:45

mr_dja
Another one from the American Southeast:

When speaking negatively about someone, always end the sentence/thought with "Bless their/her/his Heart" and all is OK. As a non-native, even after close to 30 years living in the south, I still get a chuckle hearing an elderly person make an incredibly condeming statement about someone and end it with Bless Their Heart. Example: Johnny always was a worthless good for nothing lay about, bless his heart. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, very true! Bless your heart for posting it! smiling smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 7, 2014 19:57

Thanks Elmo... I need all the blessings I can get! "Bless your heart" as well!

Strange image just popped in my mind: Could you just imagine all of the MickT v. Ronnie and KR Life threads on this board if they had been "southernized". "Bless His Heart" might be the most used phrase on the board right up there with "More Mick T."

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 7, 2014 22:08

"I'm a killer, bless my heart" and all is OK?
Ok thenwinking smiley

Date: February 7, 2014 22:44

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
"I'm a killer, bless my heart" and all is OK?
Ok thenwinking smiley

Not 100% sure (I'm not a native remember) but I'm pretty sure self blessings after confessions probably are a bit of an exception to the rule. Doubt they'd hold up in court, ya' know? Although self blessings do exist, they generally only occur after the receipt of bad news. More like a request to not be overwhelmed by the bad news.

After this thread, I'm afraid I'm going to have a hard time at whatever the family thing is that my wife is threatening to drag me to this weekend. I'm sure to hear "Bless Their Heart" a few times and more than likely will hear at least one "Bless My Heart" as well. It's going to be really hard to keep a straight face when it happens after talking about it here!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: February 8, 2014 01:22

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
vox12string
Down Under, if you're wearing sandals, you do NOT wear socks as well

Can you do that somewhere at all?

Trademark of the uncool Englishman abroad - but no, you'll get arrested by the fashion police everywhere for this. Maybe older ladies might get away with it?

German tourists during summertime!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 9, 2014 19:32

treaclefingers
The Sicilian
jamesfdouglas
For Canadians abroad... don't go out in public without proof that you're Canadian. Being mistaken for American is NOT fun.

But being protected by them is.

oh, I thought I was wearing a condom, that was you?

Maybe he means by God. Cuz you know, he's American...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: February 10, 2014 00:06

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
jamesfdouglas
For Canadians abroad... don't go out in public without proof that you're Canadian. Being mistaken for American is NOT fun.

But being protected by them is.

oh, I thought I was wearing a condom, that was you?

Maybe he means by God. Cuz you know, he's American...
Americans are ok,bless their hearts. Personally, I would never wear a Canadian flag when travelling. Too many smug Canadians doing that! Oh yes, Hungarians also wear socks with sandals. My Dad did all the time.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 10, 2014 00:45

I wouldn't wear a Canadian flag either. But I'm not Canadian smoking smiley

Date: February 10, 2014 01:00

In Spain is completely normal see women in topless in the beaches. I am told this is impossible in USA. Is it true?

I am also told that a person may be asked about his/herw sexual orientation in a meeting (in the USA). That is impossible in Spain...it would be considered extremely rude.....

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 10, 2014 01:31

There are private places in the US where people can sunbathe etc. topless or naked, but on public beaches it would count as "public nudity" which is illegal. (I think, I've never actually tried it!) It's certainly not like Spain, or, say, Brazil.

As for sexual orientation, I guess that would depend on the context of the conversation.

Date: February 10, 2014 01:35

No, I've never heard of anyone asking someone who they just met whether or not they are gay. I think that would be rude no matter where you live.

As for nude sunbathing, it's not socially acceptable in the good old USA, our puritan forefathers made sure of that. smiling smiley But there are plenty of private beaches where people can let it all hang out, so to speak. To be honest, I don't know that I would want to see most Americans naked. eye popping smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 10, 2014 01:43

latebloomer
No, I've never heard of anyone asking someone who they just met whether or not they are gay. I think that would be rude no matter where you live.

As for nude sunbathing, it's not socially acceptable in the good old USA, our puritan forefathers made sure of that. smiling smiley But there are plenty of private beaches where people can let it all hang out, so to speak. To be honest, I don't know that I would want to see most Americans naked. eye popping smiley

grinning smiley

Your right I visit the US two times....... always though it was a bit over the top how they pointed out the Americans ....but it's true if you visit a restaurant at least 4 people are so ...that they don't fit in chair or need two barstools ;o(

Date: February 10, 2014 02:26

And yes topless on the beach is common in Holland too....... although it's not as popular as it use to be ;o(
And you don't ask someones sexual orientation in Holland ...but you don't have to you see it or hear it ;o( (I won't post pictures of the Amsterdam g-a-y parade to show you what I mean) confused smiley

You can ask everything out here...but don't ask someone what they earn

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:30

this is a trap thread.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:30

As the thread turns into "CLICHES ABOUT AMERICANS"... how unsurprising yawning smiley

btw- If you want topless beaches there are plenty of them, for instance South Beach in Miami.

Date: February 10, 2014 02:32

Natlanta
this is a trap thread.

I didnt mean it to be that, as I said in the first post, I read some things and I was honestly curious... but of course... anyway...

Date: February 10, 2014 02:38

I didn't start it ...and I didn't say a word negative grinning smiley

Date: February 10, 2014 02:41

NICOS
I didn't start it ...and I didn't say a word negative grinning smiley
It is all good NICOS, you are a good man.

I should not have started this thread, Natlanta is correct,
I should have known better, its the reason I do not start many threads.

Date: February 10, 2014 02:42

maybe best to just let this thread die and go away, I dont want issues.

Re: .
Date: February 10, 2014 02:48

Max it's all good, I think most everyone has just been having fun with this one. Sometimes people write something that doesn't always come out right, best to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know it's happened to me, I have been quilty many times of typing before I think.

In any case, it cheered me to see the changed thread title, I thought you were trying to bring back the return of the infamous . smiling smiley

Enjoy your evening Max, the Olympics are always inspiring!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:53

DandelionPowderman
It's 10 % tipping in Norway. I hope I'm not wrong about this smiling smiley

Well, as everything in Norway costs about a million dollars, I suppose 10% is reasonable.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 10, 2014 03:01

Tipping is a complex subject and differs from culture to culture.

- In Japan, it is not done at all.
- In France and other European countries, wait staff are paid a living wage (unlike in the USA). "Service" is usually included in the bill (as is tax), and the common practice is to round up the bill a little bit if the service was good.
- In The USA, the minimum wage for restaurant workers has not increased in decades (you can thank Herman Cain and his lobbying group for that), so restaurant workers must live on their tips. 20% is now considered the norm. Unfortunately there are some segments of American society who do not understand this and don't tip at all or tip very poorly. There are also some people who think it is cute to offer life advice or leave religious tracts in place of a tip (lots of stories about this lately). There is a special place in Hell for these people.
- Tipping in some circumstances is indeed offensive to the recipient. There is a sherry bar in Madrid where they will chase you down the street to return your tip if you leave one on the table (this happened to me).
Learn the rules of the road before you travel and you will avoid causing offense (or depriving someone of their livelihood).

...and major kudos to you, Max, for being a generous tipper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-10 03:04 by 71Tele.

Date: February 10, 2014 03:06

I think this is a genuinely informative and useful thread, not to mention enlightening. thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 10, 2014 08:22

I don't understand this issue about tipping. It is both cultural and economical. A beer cost 94 kr in Norway, give or take some depending on tourist area, waterhole or whatever. That is approx 15 US dollars or 12 Euro. A lot of money if you are poor, but in Norway that is less than minimum pay per the hour. So when my poor daughter bought a beer some years ago she said it was not natural for her to tip the waited, because the waikter do have the regulated minumum pay and more, while se makes less money. So if you buy a beer in Norway and pay 94 it is natural to keep the 6 kr you get in return from the 100. Or some give 1 or 2 back it all depends.

Personally I am always tipping "american" in all countries, if it is appropriate, i.e. 15% or more, because I think people working in sercice oriented work abroad are less paid than average. But I am old and I have more money than the young people. Others want all their money may be because they do not have any extra to give away. There is no rule and there is nothing such as good or bad.

In UK it is an offense to give a tip in a pub unless you are in a tourist pub. In Australia and other places they do not tip much. Personally I think tipping is a stupid thing but I do it when I get ok service. Which is true in most cases. If the food is awful and the service is bad there is zero tip from me. If the taxi drived screwe med badlky by driving across the city then it is zero tip but if I have a gentle ride by a nice driver I think it is worth a +15% or so no problem. It is all a personal thing.

But tipping in Norway is almost non-existent because people are mostly well paid, and there are minimum pay of more than 20 us dollars per hour i.e. 120 kr or so I think.

Bjornulf

Date: February 10, 2014 09:53

There you go, Max, bv thinks this is an informative thread too!

Regarding tipping, I would withhold a tip if I got bad service, but not if the food was bad because that's not the server's fault. I'd tell the server to pass on a complaint, though.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:23

BluzDude
...and remember, when visiting Austria, when at a restaurant, when they put a basket of rolls on your table, they will charge you for each roll you take.

BLuzdude
omg - I totally forgot that - wonder whether that's still the case! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:58

...and remember, when visiting Austria, when at a restaurant, when they put a basket of rolls on your table, they will charge you for each roll you take.

HECK AL... ya just shoulda taken a bite outta each one then put 'em all back in the bowl..

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home