Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Open Up Them Vaults!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 13, 2005 15:10

Stones mythology has it that every time the Stones record an album, they record twice as many songs as are actually released. The myth also has it that the unreleased songs are every bit as good as the released ones. If there's any truth to this at all, a Rolling Stones Anthology box set would be a fascinating listen. Way more fascinating than the Beatles Anthology. The Beatles collection revealed that all of the fabs original choices were correct. There were no great unreleased songs. In fact, there were hardly any unreleased songs at all. And none of the alternate versions surpassed the familiar ones. I don't think that's the case with the Stones. The fact that Start Me Up remained unreleased for 10 years suggests that, while there may not be another Honky Tonk Women laying around in a dusty tape box somewhere, the Stones may not be the most astute judges of their own best work.

Re: Open Up Them Vaults!
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 13, 2005 15:19

It worked on Tatoo You and Emotional Rescue - mainly outtakes from other sessions.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 13, 2005 16:34

SMU wan't ready 10 years before they released it. The song was written but was originally in Reggea form.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: May 13, 2005 19:26

Mick won't open the vault untill the Stones quit.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 13, 2005 19:42

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mick won't open the vault untill the Stones quit.
>
> The Catch-22 is that the Stones career can never truly be considered over as long as Mick is alive. And believe me, he's going to outlive us all.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2005 19:50

I would imagine that they have some pre-arranged deal worked out between The Boys regarding all of this....that is, what's to happen w/ the material "when"....

and I imagine one of the Big Three dying (no, no, no, say it ain't so) has something do w/ it....

dunno....I just hope they don't leave up to their kids....look at what Hemingway's kids have done w/ his legacy..."finding" some "lost" manuscript every few years....usually some serious shite that Papa knew better NOT to publish...

not that THAT is relevant at all.....

Regardless, I'll buy THAT box-set...that's for sure

"Tattoo You" was from OUTTAKES?? Wow...if THAT'S any indication, there should be some amazing material in there..."TY" is f*cking GREAT.....

Sticky's not such a big fan of "Emotional Rescue"....though "She's So Cold" is another Classic Stones Mysogynistic Track......

Stones rule.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 13, 2005 23:46

I think 'You got it made' sounds very promising. It’s only the refrain being done over and over again by Keith & Ronnie, but it sounded really great.
I don't know the title of that CD, a friend copied it for me, but especially that track doesn’t work *$§"%&#*
It has Tracks on like:
It takes a lot to laugh
Travelling’ Man 2x
When I wage a crown
Nearness of you 3x
Out of Tears
Studio conversation
And then of course: You got it made
I wouldn’t mind hearing that on the new CD, even tho it must be some years of age.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2005 03:28

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The myth also has it
> that the unreleased songs are every bit as good as
> the released ones.

thats precisely what it is. A Myth.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 14, 2005 08:16

HIGHWAY CHILD-Listen to that guitar sound! That should out.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 14, 2005 09:33

There's one more factor, called Allen Klein, who's sitting on a very big toolbox in this matter!

HJofSweden

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 14, 2005 11:22

I am with you Gazza! From the boots I have, I think the Stones have been a very good judge of what to release and not release. Not only that, but to those who do not own an extensive library of this stuff, much of the unreleased material in the "vault" is so ragged and unfinished it has no commercial value. It is not like they just went to a box of tapes and sequenced out TY, there was extensive work done by the Glimmers and Mr. Clearmountain ( it was him right, history a bit vague for me on this hung over day).

I will admit that you will find an occasional gem. Even a few more that could be polished, but a lot of the un-released stuff floating around is for completists only. I bet it would be hard for even us to put together a modern length CD of unreleased studio stuff that is complete and ready to go.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 14, 2005 13:54

This is the third time this has come around in as many weeks. Sticky F you should hang your head in shame if you call yourself a Stones fan yet did not know Tattoo You was an outtakes album, tut tut !

This oft rumoured box or the Memory Hotel album from 99 is not going to happen this side of the tour so you got at least 12 months to wait.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:02

I have said it, and will say it again: give me 24 hours in a studio with Chris Kimsey or Andy Johns and I will come up with two 4 CD sets worth of unreleased material that rivals the Beatles Anthology sets. There's a bunch of songs almost finished that are ready to be released like Appartment No. 9, Claudine, Fiji Jim, Strictly Memphis, Fast Talking and on and on, but also encredible songs that are still in progress but worth releasing by the sheer beauty: Do You Think I Really Care, I Need You, Highway Child and a bunch more. Don't forget, we hard croe fans only know half of what's in the vaults. The we could release a 16-CD set with proffesional soundboard gathhering dust. Remmember that of every tour they did since 1969, every show was recorded in rough SB quality, and about 10 shows in true profesional SB quality. The, for every tour at several shows camera's were rolling. There's just so much to be released that will create enough cash flow to make it interesting.

But, in the words of Chris Kimsey: Jagger simply just isn't interested in it. He just really don't care for it. So, it won't happen.

Mathijs

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 14, 2005 14:33

Reworking older material will work out this time around as well, just as it did with Tattoo You. They're probably finishing stuff they recorded in the Forty Licks sessions in Paris, and wrote on tour.
Many artists record new songs for best of discs now. If these sessions go well, then why don't they just scrap the planned retrospective and head straight for the completion of a new album instead? Can't you talk with your record label anymore these days? Just imagine how a mid tour release of a new album during the Licks tour, including the new 4 Licks songs plus 6 other new ones would have boosted record sales. That would have been touring to promote an album again, instead of releasing an album to promote the tour.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: May 14, 2005 15:15

A studio outtake is like an artists
sketchbook, giving us insight into
their creative process. This is
more likely to be of in the vaults
of many great bands, including the
Stones, than the hope of some
long lost mythical song that's
been overlooked/ never released.

The boots show the Stones have recorded
alot of interesting alt arrangements
( ie: a reggae version of Start Me Up/
the more popsy Blue Turns To Grey),
long unedited studio jams (ie: Slave)
radically different early versions with
different lyrics (Pay Your Dues, Goodtime
Woman etc). It would be great to have official
releases of all this from the original masters.

Also, the Stones have, of course, a wealth of
roots rockers, r+B, and blues stuff on the
officially unreleased BBC tapes..........

Many of us would no doubt argue that the Rosetta
Stone would be the the live shows, especially
from the MT era......................

Then again who knows what else might be
buried deep in the archives? I'd like to
see some of their more experimental, off
the cuff reggae stuff,like Jah is Not Dead,
be included on an official bototleg series too,
perhaps like what Dylan is doing.

The treausre trove of Stones boots we all know
and love so well, would IMHO suggest to me
that any future Stones official boots
would be very very interesting, but
alas, sadly unreleased, and perhaps
att heir own peril. There is a
law of diminishing returns with this
stuff. As the core demograph group ages
and dies off, it's less and less likely to be
of as much interst, or sell as well. It would
seem to me the time to release it is now, while
interst is still high!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 16, 2005 13:36

Disc 1:

Little Boy Blue and The Blue Boys home tape
3 tracks from 7" acetate
5 tracks Bright Lights Big City session
Richmond 1963 audio tape

After that? Who knows but only the Stones deranged would want the above and it would be the only way to start the set.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 17, 2005 08:21

The unreleased stuff will see the light of day, eventually.

The question is, will it be heard by us--or our great-grandchildren? (maybe they'll even care, but not as much as we would)

I wish they'd put it out now--even if they do it in limited (charge you an arm and a leg) release. Because right now, I'll buy it. All of it.

If it takes another 20 years I may not be alive, and if I am, I may not have the disposable income!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 17, 2005 08:38

Davido is correct. Something like Dylan's Bootleg series is the way to go.
Dylan's first set showed remarkable stuff that was unreleaed,
especially the material he left off Infidels.
After that, it's been live stuff.
For the Stones, I think they should do the same.
Put out some unreleased stuff and then
A live set from '72 or '73 following.
Maybe even releasing a DVD of the LA show from '75 or
Paris and Knebworth from '76, warts and all (or Hampton '81).
I do remember reading that an insider said their archives are
a complete mess.
This won't happen, as Mathijs said, as Jagger isn't interested.
And how come Ladies and Gentlemen hasn't been released?
Is Allen Klien involved in that? MUst be.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2005 09:21

>> Is Allen Klien involved in that? Must be. <<

isn't ABKCO involved with *any* releases that include anything from the Stones' early catalog? (including those "instand soundboard CDs" people keep wishing the Stones would offer at current gigs.) it must complicate everything hugely, and as long as their relations with ABKCO are less than friendly, it must also be a pretty big damper to the Stones' enthusiasm for releasing the stuff officially.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 17, 2005 09:27

I have a feeling he's involved in EVERYTHING.
See the last few pages of Gared Mankowitz's book
when he was taking pictures durin a '82 rehearsal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home