Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Aerosmith guitarists are similar to Stones guitarists
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 5, 2014 06:03

Probably been discussed before, but listening to Aerosmith and realizing that a perfect comparison to them in terms of guitar distinction are the Stones. Love the guitar work in Aerosmith songs, yet apparently unbeknownst to many, a lot of the famous stuff is done by Brad Whitford and not Joe Perry. Reminds me of how so many people don't realize the contributions of Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood and just assume its mostly Keith. Its harder for me to distinguish in Aerosmith songs, but I know alot of it is Brad and that he's a monster underrated guitarist. Just made me think of our guys and how most of the general public doesn't know the real truth. Sad they don't really get the mainstream respect that they deserve.

Re: Aerosmith guitarists are similar to Stones guitarists
Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: February 5, 2014 06:54

Aerosmith songs cowritten by Brad Whitford

Nobody's Fault

Round and Round

Last Child

Kings and Queens

There are a couple others but the point being that many Aerosmith fans would consider Brad's songs some of the strongest in the band's catalogue.

Date: February 5, 2014 07:54

Nobody's Fault was what inspired the thread lol!

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: February 5, 2014 08:09

RollingFreak

I know a lot of people slag off Aerosmith as being a cheap copy of the Stones ....and while Aerosmith's golden period isn't on par with the Stones during 68-73 .....they had a nice 4-5 album run themselves

Self Titled (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)

Date: February 5, 2014 08:33

ultimaterocker
RollingFreak

I know a lot of people slag off Aerosmith as being a cheap copy of the Stones ....and while Aerosmith's golden period isn't on par with the Stones during 68-73 .....they had a nice 4-5 album run themselves

Self Titled (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)

i agree the stones golden period is better than aerosmiths but its really not fair to compare because the stones released about 8 albums and were together for over 5 years before beggars banquet was released. thats a lot of time to work on their craft. you just counted aerosmiths very first release as part of that bands golden period and 5 years later lead guitar player and co-main songwriter joe perry had left the band. it would be on par with keith richards leaving the stones in 1968. i doubt things would have turned out the same for the stones had keith left after 5 years with the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 08:34 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: February 5, 2014 08:36

I just heard Get Your Wings, Toys, and Rocks throughout the day. That is definitely their golden era and its really as good as most bands. Its hard to compare anyone with the Stones, but this is up there with the better ones. Especially the middle three albums. I never saw them as a cheap copy of the Stones. They are their own band and established their own great sound from the beginning. And I'm not even a big fan (as much as I love that 70s stuff) but everyone should be able to appreciate that.

Date: February 5, 2014 08:56

RollingFreak
I just heard Get Your Wings, Toys, and Rocks throughout the day. That is definitely their golden era and its really as good as most bands. Its hard to compare anyone with the Stones, but this is up there with the better ones. Especially the middle three albums. I never saw them as a cheap copy of the Stones. They are their own band and established their own great sound from the beginning. And I'm not even a big fan (as much as I love that 70s stuff) but everyone should be able to appreciate that.

aerosmiths sound is actually closer to the yardbirds than the stones and funny enough covered the yardbirds tune "think about it" on their 1978 album NIGHT IN THE RUTS and covered "train kept a rollin" which is a song associated with the yardbirds.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 5, 2014 08:58

RollingFreak
Probably been discussed before, but listening to Aerosmith and realizing that a perfect comparison to them in terms of guitar distinction are the Stones. Love the guitar work in Aerosmith songs, yet apparently unbeknownst to many, a lot of the famous stuff is done by Brad Whitford and not Joe Perry. Reminds me of how so many people don't realize the contributions of Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood and just assume its mostly Keith. Its harder for me to distinguish in Aerosmith songs, but I know alot of it is Brad and that he's a monster underrated guitarist. Just made me think of our guys and how most of the general public doesn't know the real truth. Sad they don't really get the mainstream respect that they deserve.

I don't know ...Keith is much better anyway...drinking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 5, 2014 10:21

Aerosmith has a different sound than the Stones. It's not fair to compare those bands musically, imo.

However, they did move in Stones territory a few times, like here:

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 5, 2014 10:30

Always liked Aerosmith, even in the early 80's when they had Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay on guitar! Speaking of Dufay, I recently read that his daughter is Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights.
Also, I think Angus and Malcolm are similar to the Stones. I think Malcolm is also underrated like Whitford.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 5, 2014 11:39

Aerosmith are different to the Stones.

They don't have the Richards/Watts loose feel thing and are more typical early 70s Rock.

Joe has a fair bit of Rockabilly influence and Brad seems more of a scale type player to me anyway.

Joe wrote a fair amount of the big tunes like "Walk This Way".

Angus and Malcolm are coming more from a Free type thing more than anything else and Angus copped Kosoff's style a lot and even the guitar parts from things like "Alright Now" are a template for AC/DC's guitar parts.

Date: February 5, 2014 12:08

Angus has a lot of BB King in him as well.

Malcolm is more of a traditional rhythm player than Keith and Whitford, the latter actually plays many of the more technical demanding solos in Aerosmith.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 5, 2014 12:17

Can't believe someone made an Aerosmith and nobody slags 'em so far! eye popping smiley
Myself I'm a huge Aero fan since quite a long time ago.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: February 5, 2014 12:26

and lead singers with big mouths eye popping smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 12:27

LieB
Can't believe someone made an Aerosmith and nobody slags 'em so far! eye popping smiley
Myself I'm a huge Aero fan since quite a long time ago.

Maybe because they have a history of being something else than a hair metal/ballad band as well? smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 13:11

DandelionPowderman
Angus has a lot of BB King in him as well.

Malcolm is more of a traditional rhythm player than Keith and Whitford, the latter actually plays many of the more technical demanding solos in Aerosmith.

So did Kossoff [www.premierguitar.com]

Interestingly Paul Rogers says he had a band called "Brown Sugar" in 1968.

Date: February 5, 2014 13:14

I like Kossof's playing, but I think Angus captured BB King's feel even better - although Kossof may have been a source of inspiration for Angus.

Date: February 5, 2014 13:42

Well, why not some Free in an Aerosmith topic?

One of the influential bands of the early 70s, when there were so many great ones around fuelled by the Blues/Rock boom of the 60s.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 13:48 by howled.

Date: February 5, 2014 13:54

DandelionPowderman
I like Kossof's playing, but I think Angus captured BB King's feel even better - although Kossof may have been a source of inspiration for Angus.

BB's vibrato is one of the main things Kossoff picked up on but Kossoff's vibrato is different and really is his own thing to a fair extent and the only player I've heard that sounds very Kossoff like in their vibrato and phrasing is Angus and to get vibrato like that is no accident or fluke and it's pretty obvious that Angus heard those early Free records and his brother George (Easybeats) used to bring them back to Australia.

I first heard AC/DC when they first started and I banged into them a few times when my band was doing the pubs and the first thing I saw was this little dude doing Kossoff, that's what I thought anyway.

Kossoff is not that easy to emulate not because of speed or any of that, it's because of his phrasing and vibrato and Angus and even Malcolm could do it.

I've seen Malcolm play lead guitar (not on the Gretsch) and he's not that far from Angus, maybe equivalent.

Of course he gets typecast with the Gretsch and thick strings and setting up the base guitar foundation, but he's way more than that and he just pushed Angus out to the front.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 14:07 by howled.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 5, 2014 13:57

aerosmith does have the unoffical label of being America's "rolling stones" 5 guys , 2 guitars ,bass, drums and vocals.aerosmith does not have there own chuck !

Date: February 5, 2014 14:02

IMO; Angus plays more fluently, with a more bluesy vibrato. Can't really hear the Kossoff/BB-thing that evidently (listen at 3:40).

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 5, 2014 14:15

DandelionPowderman

Love AC/DC and think Angus is great but Koss was a step up - in my opinion.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 5, 2014 14:16

Never could decide between Toys & Rocks for my fave Aerosmith album.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 5, 2014 14:31

I have always loved MC5 for their guitarsound...at least me think they sounds a bit like Stones..

2 1 2 0

Date: February 5, 2014 14:42

Braincapers
Never could decide between Toys & Rocks for my fave Aerosmith album.

Toys!

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 5, 2014 15:31

aerosmiths first four albums (aerosmith,get your wings,toys,rocks) is some of the best music ever released imo.

Date: February 5, 2014 15:32

DandelionPowderman
IMO; Angus plays more fluently, with a more bluesy vibrato. Can't really hear the Kossoff/BB-thing that evidently (listen at 3:40).

The fast vibrato and the often rapid pentatonic descent phrasing from a vibrato high note, very similar to Kossoff.

No one can sound exactly like anyone else anyway, but Angus (and Mal) copped a lot of Kossoff.

Angus back in 1975/76, was a pretty hyped up dude off stage with a sense of humour and I think this is in his playing because he is playing it after all and personality comes out in playing in some form.

Date: February 5, 2014 16:21

Brad Whitford has some lead time away from Aerosmith in this Deep Purple Lazy version with Joe Bonamassa (after the first singing verse).

Brad has his own different style to Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 16:27 by howled.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 5, 2014 17:19

Date: February 5, 2014 17:48

^^ Now thats a real band right there. Killer deep cut and great live version! Funny to see how young they used to look. 40 years ago. Also, you gotta admire that it is still the same 5 guys in this band. Really unbelievable to think and maybe one of the biggest bands to consistently keep going and maintain their original lineup for nearly all of their years together.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home