Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Date: February 3, 2014 15:57

seitan
DandelionPowderman
<Most people get cancer because they eat unhealthy food and dont take care of themselves.>

Most people? You are a scientist, and know this for a fact?

No but I just lost a family friend to cancer and spoke to her doctor after the funeral. Doctor was very realistic and said -these things can happen to everybody.
So maybe we should have bit more compassion here, ok ?

I agree totally! I just didn't know that most of the people who got cancer, got it because of their lifestyle.

I know that some unhealthy stuff increases the chances of getting cancer, though, but found it interesting that it was a fact that this is the reason in most of the cases - and I also found it baffling that I've never heard this before.

That's all.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:06

seitan
BlackHat
seitan
BlackHat

Let me spell it out S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D. Everyone knows heroin aint good for you. Take it and you are taking a risk. If he had demons/problems he was a smart enough guy to know the diffrence between professional help and heroin and its attendant risks.

Drug addiction is just like cancer. Cancer is often S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D...and so is lot of other diseases. Like blood pressure problems..

Most people get cancer because they eat unhealthy food and dont take care of themselves. Most people seek for selfish pleasures by eating pizzas and ice cream or whatever and just sit around watching TV without taking good care of themselves. Would you speak like that to cancer patients. I lost a friend who died due to cancer..never did drugs or booze, but lived a very unhealthy life by not doing sport and by not eating healthy food...
So would you talk like that to your friends and family, and relatives if they get a cancer ?? Or are you just another troll ?

If somebody knowingly follows a course of action that is destructive and leads to a negative outcome then it is self inflicted. And yes I have been honest with people I know who have had smoking related cancers - after begging them to stop!

No not a troll. I just have a different view to yours.

I bet all the cancer patients are really happy to hear you say - " well, you smoked, so now it's your own fault that your going to die soon " I'm sure they really think that you' re a smart and nice person.

i hope you do push ups and go out running everyday - cause otherwise every illness you get in this life is very much S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D

Well, I wouldn't have put it like that. But then the people I knew didn't think it was a tragedy that they got got cancer. They were honest enough to be able to accept that they were suffering for their actions and took responsibility.

Anyway it's good to know that the IORR one view one party state is intact!!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:07

DandelionPowderman
seitan
DandelionPowderman
<Most people get cancer because they eat unhealthy food and dont take care of themselves.>

No but I just lost a family friend to cancer and spoke to her doctor after the funeral. Doctor was very realistic and said -these things can happen to everybody.

I agree totally! I just didn't know that most of the people who got cancer, got it because of their lifestyle.

I know that some unhealthy stuff increases the chances of getting cancer, though, but found it interesting that it was a fact that this is the reason in most of the cases - and I also found it baffling that I've never heard this before.

That's all.

It's almost impossible to have pure and clean lifestyle. Everybody has some kind of vice, that's all.

My mother died of cancer long time ago and she lived very normal life, no drinking, no drugs, nothing like that - and yet she got cancer.

I remember talking to her doctor and it was like: " you shouldn't eat this, you shouldn't do that, you should go out swimming or running or doing some other sport, you should really take care of yourself, otherwise you can get cancer" - Same thing goes for diabetes. So when you really think about it - cancer and diabetes are selfinduced lifestyle diseases.

Yet, in a normal western society, most people don't have the time to go running everyday..So I do really think that we should show compassion to people with serious health probleams, cause it could be you next time or someone close to your family who gets sick....but I hope that it doesn't happen to you or your family.. but I know it could, that's all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-03 16:09 by seitan.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:09

Clearly no hoax this time. Good actor, able to play a variety of roles.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:14

DandelionPowderman
seitan
DandelionPowderman

That's all.

Obvious the board is about music, not science or politics for a reason...it attracts amateur music fans. Not a lot of scientists or political scientists.

Could get into all the genetic cancers, the exposure to environmental chemicals, radiation from the sun, second-hand cigarette smoke, etc...but this board is about music.

Hoffman died from shooting heroin. The same stupid and tragic thing so many people from the famous to forgotten have done. Stupid because anyone with a brain alive today knows how dangerous heroin is. Tragic because he lost what sounds like a long battle with addiction, left behind kids and others who will miss his presence in their lives.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:17

Oh, for goodness sake - even if he'd lived a perfectly healthy and virtuous lifestyle and been run over by a bus, we've still lost a brilliant actor far too young, and that's a great pity for us and a tragedy for his family. Can we be allowed to say that without the Health Police hijacking the thread?

Date: February 3, 2014 16:20

BlackHat
seitan
BlackHat
seitan
BlackHat

Let me spell it out S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D. Everyone knows heroin aint good for you. Take it and you are taking a risk. If he had demons/problems he was a smart enough guy to know the diffrence between professional help and heroin and its attendant risks.

Drug addiction is just like cancer. Cancer is often S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D...and so is lot of other diseases. Like blood pressure problems..

Most people get cancer because they eat unhealthy food and dont take care of themselves. Most people seek for selfish pleasures by eating pizzas and ice cream or whatever and just sit around watching TV without taking good care of themselves. Would you speak like that to cancer patients. I lost a friend who died due to cancer..never did drugs or booze, but lived a very unhealthy life by not doing sport and by not eating healthy food...
So would you talk like that to your friends and family, and relatives if they get a cancer ?? Or are you just another troll ?

If somebody knowingly follows a course of action that is destructive and leads to a negative outcome then it is self inflicted. And yes I have been honest with people I know who have had smoking related cancers - after begging them to stop!

No not a troll. I just have a different view to yours.

I bet all the cancer patients are really happy to hear you say - " well, you smoked, so now it's your own fault that your going to die soon " I'm sure they really think that you' re a smart and nice person.

i hope you do push ups and go out running everyday - cause otherwise every illness you get in this life is very much S-E-L-F I-N-D-U-C-E-D

Well, I wouldn't have put it like that. But then the people I knew didn't think it was a tragedy that they got got cancer. They were honest enough to be able to accept that they were suffering for their actions and took responsibility.

Anyway it's good to know that the IORR one view one party state is intact!!

Taking drugs or eating unhealthy food like ice cream - is the same thing. Eating ice cream and drinkin coca cola is selfish pleasure seeking and every illness you get then is selfinduced. I have no probleam with that. If you get fat - you might get diabetes. It's very much selfinduced disease. But it just happens that in modern times people don't think about it like that. They think it's totally OK to say that junkies deserve to die cause it's selfinduced... whatever...but would you talk like that to people with diabetes or cancer ?

If your child would come home one day and say " Hey, dad - doctor said I got diabetes" Would you tell your son: I have no sympathy for you, cause you drank coca cola on your last birthday. You knew that coca cola and ice cream are not healthy for you. No sympathy for you my son. - Yeah, maybe you would say that. I'm sure your son would really think that you're a nice father, it would really help, now would it ??

I don't think so.

( the IORR one view one party state ?? - gimme a break. Why should people respect every stupid opinion in the world. If you're wrong - then you are wrong, that's all, no need to cry about it)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-03 16:43 by seitan.

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:29

Some children die of cancer and they never hadn't time to test a bad way of life.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:29

What a horror, and such a waste of life and incredible talent.

Yesterday afternoon I was settling down to watch a movie and thought I'd check-in with CNN just to catch some news, to see if the world was still out there. And there it was, the crawl "Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead at age 46". Uneffingbelievable.

I just spoke about him on here a few days ago. He portrayed Lester Bangs in the movie Almost Famous. My sister and I were just speaking about him yesterday morning, about his role in Cold Mountain. We thought the "relief of his constipation" scene was hilarious. Sometimes he'd play the leading man, but usually it was a supportive character. He could do anything, really. I've only seen him in a handful of films..evidently he's been involved in over 60 productions..film, theater, as an actor, director, producer..the guy was just so talented. He appeared to be a very humble, low-key individual in real life. Never knew he had an addiction problem but, then again, I didn't follow his career that closely; and I do try to avoid the tabloids and entertainment/gossip shows on tv.

Dr. Drew was interviewed yesterday and likened opiate addiction to a chronic fatal medical condition such as a malignancy. It's a terrible, terrible problem/disease. Of course, I thought of Mick Taylor. He seemingly matured out of the habit. Lucky for him because heroin addicts don't usually live to see their 50th birthday. It's a living hell even if you're sober and if you relapse, like Phillip Hoffman did,it's especially dangerous.

People can find fault because an addiction is self-induced. But, that's not fair in the scheme of things. It's an illness, your brain changes organically. You have to show compassion; there's no doubt that human beings tend to be self-destructive by nature. Let's face it, nowadays, people are killing themselves with their forks.

RIP Mr. Hoffman.sad smiley

Date: February 3, 2014 16:36

greenriver
Some children die of cancer and they never hadn't time to test a bad way of life.

So ..?

Some children die of drugs and they never hadn't time to learn that there's other ways to handle emotional traumas. It can happen to adults too.

Date: February 3, 2014 16:38

Bellajane
What a horror, and such a waste of life and incredible talent.

Yesterday afternoon I was settling down to watch a movie and thought I'd check-in with CNN just to catch some news, to see if the world was still out there. And there it was, the crawl "Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead at age 46". Uneffingbelievable.

I just spoke about him on here a few days ago. He portrayed Lester Bangs in the movie Almost Famous. My sister and I were just speaking about him yesterday morning, about his role in Cold Mountain. We thought the "relief of his constipation" scene was hilarious. Sometimes he'd play the leading man, but usually it was a supportive character. He could do anything, really. I've only seen him in a handful of films..evidently he's been involved in over 60 productions..film, theater, as an actor, director, producer..the guy was just so talented. He appeared to be a very humble, low-key individual in real life. Never knew he had an addiction problem but, then again, I didn't follow his career that closely; and I do try to avoid the tabloids and entertainment/gossip shows on tv.

Dr. Drew was interviewed yesterday and likened opiate addiction to a chronic fatal medical condition such as a malignancy. It's a terrible, terrible problem/disease. Of course, I thought of Mick Taylor. He seemingly matured out of the habit. Lucky for him because heroin addicts don't usually live to see their 50th birthday. It's a living hell even if you're sober and if you relapse, like Phillip Hoffman did,it's especially dangerous.

People can find fault because an addiction is self-induced. But, that's not fair in the scheme of things. It's an illness, your brain changes organically. You have to show compassion; there's no doubt that human beings tend to be self-destructive by nature. Let's face it, nowadays, people are killing themselves with their forks.

RIP Mr. Hoffman.sad smiley

thumbs up I agree.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 3, 2014 17:58

Bellajane
the guy was just so talented. He appeared to be a very humble, low-key individual in real life.

This very same impression I had about him, and this was confirmed by reading this article yesterday:

“He’s a local. He’s a fixture in this neighborhood,” said Christian McCulloch, 39, who said that he lives nearby. “You see him with his kids in the coffee shops, he is so sweet. It’s desperately sad.”

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 3, 2014 18:03

RIP-an outstanding Artist

Date: February 3, 2014 18:06

Lots of neighbors and acquaintances were saying that about him. Always took his kids to public school in the neighborhood, and just after winning the Oscar for Capote, he returned to his same routine. One person said he seemed rather shy when he was congratulated by people on the streets after his win. Very unaffected by it, just a regular guy.

Just came over the news that prescription pills, syringes, and 50 bags of heroin were found in his apartment. He relapsed with a vengeance. So desperately sad, indeed.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 3, 2014 18:17

Since we're on page three we might touch the question about celebrities and heavy drugs. Narcotics seems to be overrepresented among stars and celebrities.
It's very sad: You have made it, many people are proud of you, and then you start taking drugs that might kill you in the end...

Date: February 3, 2014 18:31

buffalo7478
DandelionPowderman
seitan
DandelionPowderman

That's all.

Obvious the board is about music, not science or politics for a reason...it attracts amateur music fans. Not a lot of scientists or political scientists.

Could get into all the genetic cancers, the exposure to environmental chemicals, radiation from the sun, second-hand cigarette smoke, etc...but this board is about music.

Hoffman died from shooting heroin. The same stupid and tragic thing so many people from the famous to forgotten have done. Stupid because anyone with a brain alive today knows how dangerous heroin is. Tragic because he lost what sounds like a long battle with addiction, left behind kids and others who will miss his presence in their lives.

Was he famous when he started doing drugs in his early 20s?

There are reasons for many tragical lives that don't have anything to do with being a celebrity.

You talk like I don't know all the things you mention that trig cancer - that's hilarious!

What you don't mention is genetical disposure or the many cases of cancer which medicine hasn't managed to explain yet.

For instance, blaming people with heavy ADHD, with a chemical unbalance, for doing drugs is ignorant. Not everybody can make easy choices like you and me.

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: February 3, 2014 18:46

seitan
greenriver

So ..?

Some children die of drugs and they never hadn't time to learn that there's other ways to handle emotional traumas. It can happen to adults too.

So what? I just said that children die with cancer, so simply than that. I don't talk about drugs or something else. People tells you can get a cancer depending of your way of life, but with a normal you can catch this cancer too.
C'est la roulette russe. But if you burn one's candle at both ends, you have more chance to die early, or not, some people are stronger that others, look at Keith. With the same way of life I should be dead at 25.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 3, 2014 18:47

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:17

Some of his more recent movies were depressing, not my cup of tea. He had a lot of great roles though. I really liked him in Magnolia and Almost Famous. He could be funny too. He was hilarious in Along came Polly and The Big Lebowski. I think he's brilliant as Scotty in Boogie Nights.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-03 19:21 by ryanpow.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:24

awful..

I guess he was prone to excess and addiction, like so many brilliant people. so sad.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:31

Koen
BlackHat

You really have no idea what you ate talking about. Addiction isn't a choice, it is a terrible disease.

Let's mourn the passing of a great actor at a too young age, without being judgmental about the way he died.
Agreed about the judgmental part, no reason for that, everyone has flaws. But disagree about addiction not being a choice, it certainly is in the beginning.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:55

a genuine actor,could play any type role,a rare thing these days, big loss playing lester bangs in almost famous great acting job great movie.

Date: February 3, 2014 21:36

LeonidP
Koen
BlackHat

You really have no idea what you ate talking about. Addiction isn't a choice, it is a terrible disease.

Let's mourn the passing of a great actor at a too young age, without being judgmental about the way he died.
Agreed about the judgmental part, no reason for that, everyone has flaws. But disagree about addiction not being a choice, it certainly is in the beginning.

You're wrong. Addiction is not a choice in the beginning.
In many cases addiction is genetic. Like cancer or diabetes. Never a just a choice. People are not that stupid - nobody goes " Hey, I think I'm gonna get addicted to something that is going to kill me" - nope, no way - it's not a simple choice like that. Or did you tell yourself the last time you had pizza and Coca Cola - " Oh yeah, I want to be fat. And I think I'm gonna get myself diabetes too, so I'm gonna have Coca Cola to go with my delicious pizza. And Ice Cream after that cause I'd like to have heart disease, I love the risk of having a heart attack and deadly stroke so much. So that's my choice for today." I don't think so. I think you had pizza for some other reason. Nobody makes choices like that. Yet, everybody knows that junk food is not good for you. Everybody knows that drugs are bad for you. You know that too. Why did you eat pizza then ?

In almost every case every addiction is result of personal traumas - in most cases childhood traumas. People seek pleasure when they miss something in their life. Addiction is a chronic disease, like cardiovascular disease or diabetes, so it must be treated, managed and monitored over a life-time. Choice can only play an important role in getting help. Many chronic diseases require behavioral choices, such as people with heart disease choosing to eat healthier or begin exercising. The disease creates distortions in thinking, feelings and perceptions, which drive people to behave in ways that are not understandable to others around them. But it's not a matter of choice. Addictive behaviors are a manifestation of the disease, not a cause.

I wonder why we often blame and moralize drug addicts, while we have obese people everywhere. And the main problem is the same with drug addicts and food addicts. People hurting and killing themselves for a fix, for small pleasure. People who drink or do drugs or eat too much are all the same kind of people. People that eat junk food have no right to point their fingers at drug addicts. I think we should stop moralizing, blaming, controlling or smirking at the person with the disease of addiction, and start creating more opportunities for individuals and families to get help and providing assistance in choosing proper treatment.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 02:38 by seitan.

Date: February 3, 2014 21:41

Doctor Drew on " What is addiction"

Date: February 3, 2014 21:50

The sad thing is, is that he knew as a very young man to quit his addictions. I really commend him for that. So many don't or won't seek help for whatever reason. They're in too deep, no support systems, don't recognize the problem..who knows. It's frightening. Phillip Hoffman was sober for over 20 years or so the story goes. Who knows if he relapsed during that period or came very close to it. Apparently in May 2013 he started smoking or snorting heroin again, went to rehab, and we know the rest of the story. It's a horrible drug, a horrible disease.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:59

Very sad to hear about this.A great actor gone too soon.
RIP

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:52

Loved Philip Seymour Hoffman. As many others have said here, he was an artist. Never doubted his integrity. He never "dialed it in." He was brilliant to watch. I loved him in Big Lebowski, Doubt, The Ides of March, Boogie Nights, A Late Quartet, The Master, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Pirate Radio, The Savages (tho super depressing), Next Stop Wonderland. Happiness, Talented Miste Ripley, Almost Famous...jesus.

There are some questions of "Why" that can be answered. And there are some "Whys" that are too existential
to have an Answer. His loss is a damn shame.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 02:33

Phil was a really sweet and generous guy. Sometimes it amazes me to read online message boards. How can such self-righteous people be huge fans of the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 4, 2014 03:12

TeddyB1018
Phil was a really sweet and generous guy. Sometimes it amazes me to read online message boards. How can such self-righteous people be huge fans of the Rolling Stones?

Ignore tham, man smiling smiley Let them sit alone in their dark unhappy heads.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2014 03:16

seitan
LeonidP
Koen
BlackHat

You're wrong. Addiction is not a choice in the beginning.

Umm, how is it not a choice in the beginning? No one is forced to partake at gunpoint -- okay possibly there is a case or two in history of being forced at gunpoint but an alcoholic, for example, certainly makes his/her own choice in the beginning to imbibe. To say otherwise it simply ludicrous.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home