Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Any thoughts on James Burton?
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 3, 2014 01:06

Jim lauderdale is great

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2014 01:59

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2014 02:10

From the movie Carnival Rock --- Bob Luman - This Is The Night ---James Burton guitar

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 3, 2014 06:02

tomcasagranda
James is great circa 1969/1970 with Elvis Presley..

That's how I discovered him. I remember watching those docs from that period, and i was like, 'Who is that guy'?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 3, 2014 07:09

He's the lead on Nesmith's Papa Gene's Blues. Nesmith had said he was looking for a "Rick Nelson, Fools Rush In" kind of vibe, Latin flavor, so he hired James Burton.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 3, 2014 07:30

Rockman, you're a treasure.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 3, 2014 07:38

71Tele
Rockman, you're a treasure.

Rockman for president! drinking smiley

Date: February 3, 2014 07:48

Yeah but which country ...???

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2014 08:06

The IORR country. drinking smiley

Date: February 3, 2014 10:29

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA

ROCKMAN

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 3, 2014 14:26

Saw him years ago in a small hall (and got a guitar pick). My only disappointment was that he stuck to the Elvis material for the whole gig. Would love to have seen him cut loose on some other stuff. Love his playing from the Hot Band years, but he didn't go near any of that.

Date: February 3, 2014 18:35

This is one of my all-time favorite videos.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 3, 2014 21:01

Funnily enough, I prefer Albert Lee as a Hot Band member. I think because he plays on Emmylou's version of Poncho & Lefty.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:01

Great guitarist! superb chicken picking,another master of the telecaster.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 07:24

Burton might be the finest man on earth for all I know? And I have nothing against the man personally of course. It does piss me off however when a major star {Elvis} dumps his original friends/band practically the second he makes it, and surrounds himself with so-called more appropreate people. Scotty Moore and Bill Black made Elvis a star as sure as Robby Robertson never did much after screwing over his pals in the Band for a brighter shining star of his own. And how he could have just dumped them once he was on top like that is always going to stick in my throat a bit.

Date: February 4, 2014 07:39

....gargle twice ... then hunt down the Colonel

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: February 4, 2014 09:49

When the Stones were on Shindig with the Wolf, I believe Jim Burton was part of the house band backing the Wolf wasn't he?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2014 15:01

rob51
Burton might be the finest man on earth for all I know? And I have nothing against the man personally of course. It does piss me off however when a major star {Elvis} dumps his original friends/band practically the second he makes it, and surrounds himself with so-called more appropreate people. Scotty Moore and Bill Black made Elvis a star as sure as Robby Robertson never did much after screwing over his pals in the Band for a brighter shining star of his own. And how he could have just dumped them once he was on top like that is always going to stick in my throat a bit.

Elvis was still working with Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana on and off as late as 1968. They're both on the NBC Special. Bill had died three years earlier. Bit of a stretch to suggest he dumped them the 'second he made it'. Black and Moore left his band in late 1957 of their own free will. The same year Elvis stopped touring for well over a decade. He didnt even have a career from 1958 to early 1960 as he was in the army. Moore started working with him again once he resumed his recording career. Musicians drift apart due to various reasons. Many of them are down to artistic needs, not necessarily due to one performer using another for their own selfish ends.

If a Stones fan wants to cite an example of a band member being treated appallingly and dumped by his friends when they started to get somewhere, I dont think we need to look too far.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 15:04 by Gazza.

Date: February 4, 2014 20:28

Happy Jack
When the Stones were on Shindig with the Wolf, I believe Jim Burton was part of the house band backing the Wolf wasn't he?

Yes, he was. That's why I posted that video. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home