Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Motley Crue announce farewell tour
Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 17:17

not a big fan of M.C. , but I find the picture of the press conference absolutely
fantastic.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 29, 2014 17:52

James Kirk
"One of the greatest American rock n roll bands of all time"

Really? They are little more than cheesy 80's band (from a cheesy genre) that borders on parody. Sure, they sold a lot of records in their day, but so did MC Hammer. How could anyone take these lightweights and their hair band contemparies seriously?

How did rock go from giants like The Rolling Stones + Led Zeppelin to totally devolve into crap like Mötley Crüe, Warrant, Poison etc? Thank God Nirvana and Pearl Jam took back rock and roll from the Walmart crowd.

As soon as I see somebody compare them with bands like Warrant and Poison I quit reading, because any serious listening to their catalogue would prove otherwise. Saw them back when Vince came back in 97, ones of the better rock shows I've seen. Even though they've gotten their share, I don't need critical or hipster approval to enjoy a good show/band.

Date: January 29, 2014 18:01

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
StonedInTokyo
Motley Crue is easily one of the greatest American rock n' roll bands of all time. I saw them more than 20 years ago in the states and I saw them in Tokyo in 2011. They rocked then and they rock now! Personally, this tour is a must see. As I understand it they'll play North America in 2014 and international dates in 2015 before calling it quits.

I'm glad you like them, but even for a fan that is a bit of a stretch?

I agree...this line not only hurt my feelings, it makes me feel bad for America...

For Canada, Middle and South America, too?

Date: January 29, 2014 18:07

StonesCat
James Kirk

Really? They are little more than cheesy 80's band (from a cheesy genre) that borders on parody. Sure, they sold a lot of records in their day, but so did MC Hammer. How could anyone take these lightweights and their hair band contemparies seriously?

How did rock go from giants like The Rolling Stones + Led Zeppelin to totally devolve into crap like Mötley Crüe, Warrant, Poison etc? Thank God Nirvana and Pearl Jam took back rock and roll from the Walmart crowd.

As soon as I see somebody compare them with bands like Warrant and Poison I quit reading, because any serious listening to their catalogue would prove otherwise. Saw them back when Vince came back in 97, ones of the better rock shows I've seen. Even though they've gotten their share, I don't need critical or hipster approval to enjoy a good show/band.

Now, you tell me the difference (except for Michaels being a tad more bearable to listen to)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 18:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:34

StonedInTokyo
James Kirk

Really?

Motley Crue have sold more than 80 MILLION records and continue touring THE WORLD more than 30 years after their formation. If The Beatles ruled the '60s
and Led Zeppelin ruled the '70s, Motley Crue ruled the '80s with no less than five multi-platinum album releases. I would say this easily places them among the greatest American rock bands in history...certainly since 1980.

No offense, but if you are seriously trying to compare an insignificant hair band like Motley Crue to the Beatles and Led Zeppelin who exist in the absolute highest echelon of rock royalty, you have no concept as to music history and you are embarrasing yourself.

Motley Crue is an 80's hair band that is no more important than Poison,Ratt or Warrant...They are a dinosaur from an era that is pretty much considered a joke in retrospect. The moronic lyrics, tight spandex,cheesy videos etc...They have more in common with professional wrestlers than they do with the likes of far more important/literate bands like The Rolling Stones,The Who,U2, Nirvana etc...

It is true that they were very popular in the 80's and sold a lot of records, but so did the Spice Girls, Vanilla Ice and Justin Bieber in their respective eras. The Velvet Underground and The Ramones didn't sell a lot of records, but do you want to say that Motley Crue is greater than those bands?

I apologize if I sound harsh, but Motley Crue is not a significant band.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:35

motley crue rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:36

Motley Crue (and all those hair bands) = Spinal Tap

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:39

DP, three competent musicians to start with. Showing some band 30 years on doesn't mean much to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 18:40 by StonesCat.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:39

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
StonedInTokyo
Motley Crue is easily one of the greatest American rock n' roll bands of all time. I saw them more than 20 years ago in the states and I saw them in Tokyo in 2011. They rocked then and they rock now! Personally, this tour is a must see. As I understand it they'll play North America in 2014 and international dates in 2015 before calling it quits.

I agree...this line not only hurt my feelings, it makes me feel bad for America...

Canada gave us Bieber and he wants to stay...I have no sympathy for Canada

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 29, 2014 18:46

TheGreek
motley crue rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do they rule? The down slide of
rock n roll?

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 29, 2014 19:14

Saw them on the Dr. Feelgood tour. Easily the worst band I ever saw.

Date: January 29, 2014 19:35

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
StonedInTokyo

Canada gave us Bieber and he wants to stay...I have no sympathy for Canada

grinning smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 29, 2014 19:55

RollingFreak
Possible that this is one of the few supposed "real" Farewell tours? People have accused the Stones of doing it like 5 times, but they've never actually labeled one as such.

I question whether I should see this show or not. I'm not really a Crue fan, but I have about the 10 big hits on my iPod, which I'll admit I do love when I need some stupid party music. I'm a sucker for Kickstart My Heart, Live Wire, Home Sweet Home, etc. Never seen them before and looks like this would be my last shot. Also, big factor would be that Alice Cooper is apparently opening the whole tour and he's also someone that I've never seen. Not a bad bill to catch two people that have been on my list but never bitten the bullet to actually get tickets to live.

Anyone else interested in their tour? (I'm guessing probably not many)

For the night they play your city, what is the alternative? I'm not a fan, but I still say go and have a fun time.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 29, 2014 21:28

dcba
James Kirk
Sure, they sold a lot of records in their day, but so did MC Hammer.

grinning smiley

Sam applies to the beatles. They sold a lot but....

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 29, 2014 21:39

James Kirk

Sorry but Nirvana and pearl jam was miserable self pitying shite. I've loved Mötley Crüe since I discovered too fast for love in 83. great band.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 29, 2014 21:52

nirvana sucked

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:22

The final date on this tour is in Vancouver. Tickets are fairly reasonable. Last saw Crue a few years back when they opened for Aerosmith. Saw them on the Girls Girls Girls tour, Feelgood tour and around 2000 or so.
They'll tour more in 2015 and then call it quits, and then we'll see the big reunion tour in 2017 or 2018. Mick Mars' health is probably a big factor in calling in quits.
Can't believe how much Alice Cooper is touring! I've seen him twice in the past year, in Vancouver Nov 2012 then in nearby Abbotsford November 2013. Hopefully he still has Orianthi as one of his guitarists! Always puts on a great show!
One thing I've noticed now a days is how far in advance tickets go on sale for concerts. Tix for the Vancouver show go on sale soon and it won't be til November. 10 months that they'll hold that money making interest!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:29

James Kirk
Motley Crue (and all those hair bands) = Spinal Tap

Without the laughs and entertainment value

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:08

When Mick Jagger appeared on European MTV to show his favorite music videos, the hostess/interviewer was openly surprised he included Mötley Crüe's GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS video. (I'll admit I was a little surprised, myself.)

The closest I've been to Mötley Crüe is Vince Neil's Tres Rios Cantina bar in the Las Vegas Hilton.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:12

Ladykiller

From Tommy Lee's twitter account: "This ain't no farewell tour! Those are for bands that lie to their fans and come back in 5-10 years! This is the FINAL tour! It's over!"

Bands/performers always say that. How many times did Sinatra "officially" retire? grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:47

I cannot name one song by this band. They sure must have had some hits if they are this big?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:54

Aquamarine
Ladykiller

From Tommy Lee's twitter account: "This ain't no farewell tour! Those are for bands that lie to their fans and come back in 5-10 years! This is the FINAL tour! It's over!"

Bands/performers always say that. How many times did Sinatra "officially" retire? grinning smiley

That last one sure silenced him...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 30, 2014 00:08

Munichhilton
Aquamarine
Ladykiller

That last one sure silenced him...

Well, yeah . . . grinning smiley There were a few before that, though.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 30, 2014 00:57

Some of these Crueophobes doth protest too much methinks.
One post, maybe two, but to go on and on and on about it? How interesting.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:02

I guess I will see Nikki and Tommy around the 'hood more often after 2015.

Date: January 30, 2014 01:09

I SAID WHOA!!!! I SAID YEAH!!!! MICKFKNMARS!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:13

michaelsavage
dcba
James Kirk
Sure, they sold a lot of records in their day, but so did MC Hammer.

grinning smiley

Sam applies to the beatles. They sold a lot but....

But they continue to sell a lot 50 years later...yeah, exactly the same.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:15

Yuck.

Date: January 30, 2014 01:43

In another space time continuum, they would have been be called Motley Lou

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:45

I love it all the 80s hair bands very cool