Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LET IT BLEED Blu-ray Audio
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 28, 2014 19:22

I'm not sure about the release date on the Let It Bleed-blu-ray. Which seems to differ on various sites. Has anyone recieved and heard the disc?

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Re: LET IT BLEED Blu-ray Audio
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 28, 2014 19:35

Not yet, because the release date seems to be at the earliest in February 2014, as already posted here.

Same at JPC and Amazon in Germany, but the delivery date is at the earliest 21-Feb-2014, Price is at the moment ca. 20.00 EUR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 19:45 by Irix.

Date: January 28, 2014 22:30

Thanks. I know that some sites say mid february, but amazon.co.uk says january 20th.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2014 04:40

I think this could be an interesting one to get in Blu Ray.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 29, 2014 05:09

I already have the SACD. Anyone have an opinion which format is better?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 29, 2014 05:17

Any bonus tracks?

Date: January 29, 2014 08:40

mighty stork
Any bonus tracks?

you must be joking

Date: January 31, 2014 17:15

The price on pre-order has now decreased from 20 pounds to 13.49 pounds on Amazon.co.uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 17:16 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2014 18:02

treaclefingers

I agree... provided we have a clear info on the source that was used for the pressing. Maybe Kowalski knows about it...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 31, 2014 20:17

dcba
treaclefingers

I agree... provided we have a clear info on the source that was used for the pressing. Maybe Kowalski knows about it...

I can't tell for the moment but my guess is they used the same 2002 remaster that was used for the 2010 SHM-SACD. Means it should sound excellent.

Date: February 28, 2014 10:25

It's now available in Germany at JPC and Amazon, apparently later in other countries, e.g. in UK on 3rd of March.

Date: March 5, 2014 16:33

Have received the Let it Bleed Blu-ray audio today and the result is really, really good.

Date: March 5, 2014 17:10

A comparison of the Blu-ray between the Hi-res-FLAC, the Vinyl and the SHM-SACD version would be interesting .....

Date: March 5, 2014 17:24

kowalski
dcba
treaclefingers

I can't tell for the moment but my guess is they used the same 2002 remaster that was used for the 2010 SHM-SACD. Means it should sound excellent.

So presumably it shouldn't sound different than the 2002 SACD version I already have?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:33

Got it and played it. My ears are in terrible condition as many others on this board I suspect. However, from what I can tell it's very clean and beautiful. Don't know if I would recommend somebody to buy it over the SACD though, which also sounds brilliant to me. Still it must be superior as the bitrate is higher.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 5, 2014 19:17

Hmmmm.... buy this... or get in on vinyl...
Decisions....

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 5, 2014 19:37

jamesfdouglas
Decisions....

Jimmy, are you saying you DON'T already have this on vinyl?!

The 2010 vinyl reissue sounds fabulous by the way.

Date: March 5, 2014 22:46

The 2010 vinyl is made from the same 2002 digital remaster as the SACD and probably the blu-ray.

Date: March 6, 2014 16:05

I think there is more depth to the Blu-ray. The SACD sounds good too, but I will prefer the blu-ray from now on.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2014 04:07

Just out of curiosity,
how are people connecting Blu-ray player to the amplifier?

I am connecting them through optical coaxial cable.
But output from my Blu-ray player is down sampled to 16bit/48kHz in Japan because of the content protection system.

I think unless I am using OPPO's universal player, AV amplifier(with HDMI input) or HDMI splitter,
the sound quality will be lower or the same as CDs.sad smiley

HDMI splitter

Date: March 7, 2014 14:36

Toru-san
Do you mean that every blu-ray player in japan is restricted to 16 bit/48kHz ? If true that's a shame because the real enhancement on HD music comes from the 24-bit part. Also if you can't get better than 16bit/48kHz from the blu-ray you'd better play the SACD...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2014 15:06

kowalski
Toru-san
Do you mean that every blu-ray player in japan is restricted to 16 bit/48kHz ? If true that's a shame because the real enhancement on HD music comes from the 24-bit part. Also if you can't get better than 16bit/48kHz from the blu-ray you'd better play the SACD...

kowalski san,

That's right.
So I ordered HDMI splitter above to get 24bit/192kHz quality.
However I've informed today that this splitter is out of order now because of huge demand.
This phenomenon indicates a growing possibility of Blu-ray Audio.

Date: March 7, 2014 19:11

Toru A
Just out of curiosity,
how are people connecting Blu-ray player to the amplifier?

I am connecting them through optical coaxial cable.
But output from my Blu-ray player is down sampled to 16bit/48kHz in Japan because of the content protection system.

I think unless I am using OPPO's universal player, AV amplifier(with HDMI input) or HDMI splitter,
the sound quality will be lower or the same as CDs.sad smiley

HDMI splitter

The 2 optimal connection methods for audio from a Blu-ray Disc player to any of the following : audio pre-amplifier \ processor ; integrated power amplifier ; OR an audio video receiver are :

* HDMI ( via a "High Speed" rated HDMI cable to be on the safe side ) and / or

* The Analog Audio Outputs ( These could be 2 channel unbalanced RCA style red and white jacks ; 2 channel balanced XLR style jacks ; or 5.1 multi-channel analog audio output jacks. )

Which of the above methods that you use will be dictated by your specific equipment and your personal preference.

In the case of using an HDMI connection,depending on your specific equipment,you should be able to choose between :

(A) Having the Blu-ray player decode the digital audio signal into analog PCM audio (using the Blu-ray player's D.A.C.'s or digital to analog converters) and THEN sending it to your receiver or pre-amplifier ...... OR

(cool smiley Having the Blu-ray player send the digital audio signal ( encrypted I believe ) to the receiver or pre-amplifier to be decoded there by the receiver's or pre-amplifier's D.A.C.'s into analog PCM audio to be output to your speakers (or power amplifier).

Which piece of equipment has superior D.A.C.'s ??? The Blu-ray player or the receiver / pre-amplifier ??? That should be a large factor in the decision.

If you choose to use an analog connection,which is really the BEST way for audio with good equipment if you want to split hairs (no possibility for HDMI audio jitter) .... you simply would be relying on the Blu-ray player's D.A.C.'s to convert the digital signal into high resolution analog PCM audio ...... and then it would be sent to the pre-amplifier or receiver over the analog audio output jacks.

When you say "optical coaxial cable" , I am not sure what you mean as they are two different things. There is a digital coaxial cable with RCA style connectors >>>> the jack is usually orange in color , sometimes black AND there is an digital optical cable with TosLink style connectors .... usually comes packaged with plastic caps over the connector tips.

Either way,they are similar ..... both good for CD quality audio applications or to connect a soundbar to your bedroom television system HOWEVER they are NOT designed for anything above CD quality. They are capable of surround sound but not Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio >>>> lossy or CD grade surround sound , not above.

This is why the optimal methods for high resolution audio are HDMI and / or analog balanced or unbalanced.

Date: March 7, 2014 19:37

Toru A
kowalski
Toru-san

kowalski san,

That's right.
So I ordered HDMI splitter above to get 24bit/192kHz quality.
However I've informed today that this splitter is out of order now because of huge demand.
This phenomenon indicates a growing possibility of Blu-ray Audio.

Do you really need a splitter ?? A splitter will never increase quality. It will only introduce the possibility of degrading the signal. Will it be noticable ?? Maybe,maybe not. That would depend on quite a few variables.

The best thing to do would be to get a Blu-ray player like the Oppo or Cambridge models with 2 HDMI outputs. In some cases,One HDMI output is dedicated for audio output and the other is the usual audio plus video output.

In the above case,you would connect the Audio-only HDMI output to the home theater Amplifier AND then you would connect the HDMI output which carries the video (as well as audio) directly to your television,monitor,or projector.

Even if your Blu-ray player has just 1 HDMI output,you could just run it into your pre-amplifier or audio-video receiver or integrated amp. Then,run another high speed HDMI cable from the pre-amp or receiver (HDMI output) to your TV or projector (HDMI input) for video applications.

If you ask me,the money put towards the splitter would be better served going towards any upgraded equipment that might be needed.

A splitter is like a stop - gap measure.

Date: March 7, 2014 19:43

kowalski
Toru-san

No. Every Blu-ray player in Japan is not restricted to 16 bits / 48 kHz audio.

They just are restricted over certain output jacks such as (likely) the digital optical TosLink and the digital coaxial audio connections.

Date: March 9, 2014 01:53

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Decisions....

I did have it on vinyl... long, sad story.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 11, 2014 00:46

I just got Goats Head Soup SHM-SACD and it has the same spectacular sound quality as the others! Do you think sacd's of, say, the first five or six albums would show a noteable improvment?

Date: March 11, 2014 04:19

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Decisions....

I've got nothin' going on right now...please proceed.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: March 12, 2014 17:19

Got it from thalia.de for €22.
The sound shows hardly any disortion, as least as good as
the ABKCO Hybrid SACD.
Comes with a download coupon for mp3-download of the album,
320 kb/s, iTunes-Version.

Date: March 12, 2014 19:04

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Decisions....

I've got nothin' going on right now...please proceed.

My ex-wife's new husband is probably enjoying the hell out of some of my vinyls, including Let It Bleed, Hot Rocks and Goats Head Soup.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home