Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - RIP Pete Seeger
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 29, 2014 12:39

What a great Innings.

One of the first records we had around the house in the Sixties was his We Shall Overcome - (a live recording a Carnegie Hall concert).

That's the Spirit.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:06

Cristiano Radtke
Woody24
I was fortunate enough to see him at last year's Farm Aid concert in Saratoga Springs, NY.

It was reported on Thrasher's Wheat that that was his last public appearance.

I feel blessed to have sen him.

RIP.

I'm not sure about that. He performed at the Cutting Room in november, just a few days after Ronnie and Mick Taylor, that also played there. Anyway, you are lucky to be one of those who had the chance to see him play live. smiling smiley

You may well be right Cristiano. I was just quoting what was said on the Neil Young site, "Thrashers Wheat."

He seemed somewhat frail at the Farm Aid show, but played excellent banjo.

Godspeed.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:33

Ladykiller
Great musican, unfortunatly I saw him never live in concert.

RIP Pete Seeger

He's finished teaching. Did anyone learn?

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: January 29, 2014 16:07

Yes, many learned.

In February 1972 I sat at his feet (literally) in the gym of Gettysburg College. It was as much a life lesson as concert and you could not go away without having felt you had learned something important.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 30, 2014 16:43

Fact is "I had a hammer" was an ode to communism

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:32

What's wrong with that, Michael? Seems like McCarthyism has survided in the United States...

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:42

well yeah, he was a communist, albeit w/ a net worth of approx $4m.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:02

So, communists aren't allowed to get rich? By the way, that's six months salary for Henrik Lundqvist (a New York Rangers goalie)...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:53

Communism = Evil

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:55

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: January 30, 2014 19:07

A great American. His music helped create a better world.

Date: January 30, 2014 21:21

guess his motto would have been 'do as i sing, not as i do'?

sort of ironic to get rich promoting communism, that's all.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 30, 2014 21:27

Well, I've got a hammer
and I've got a bell
and I've got a song to sing
all over this land
It's the hammer of justice
It's the bell of freedom
It's a song about the love between my
brothers and my sisters
all over this land

Yup, real sinister.

Date: January 30, 2014 22:13

Natlanta
guess his motto would have been 'do as i sing, not as i do'?

sort of ironic to get rich promoting communism, that's all.

Are you joking, or did you miss something along the way? confused smiley

Date: January 30, 2014 23:10

look geniuses, a) it's not McCarthyism to point out that Pete Seeger was a Communist... he was a member of the American Communist party... there is nothing to expose; and b) income equality being a central tenet of communism, there is some irony in Pete Seeger being 'rich'... if pointing that out is a joke, so be it.

maybe this will help: rich Communist: ironic... rich NHL goalie: not ironic.

anyway, RIP.

out.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 31, 2014 00:44

He also left the Party in 1949 and said he wished he'd left sooner. I personally wouldn't care if he'd never left at all, but, y'know, McCarthy . . .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2014 09:36

An interesting character and what a life and career did he have! One of those VERY unique 20th Century stories in music in one of kind of circumstances. For me he used to mean - or the way I got to know him - was just the old folk purist dude who almost hammered Dylan's electric cables out, and thereby was just a funny footnote in that other incredible musician's story, but little did I knew or understood.

His records in activism and putting the music serve the cause of social change is something we pop/rock and roll generations can only dream of. Whatever was his political ideals, he seemingly put all his heart on it, with no compromises. But for me he really is a living proof what the United States of America is at its best - pragmatism with of ever-lasting optimism of a better world. The traits we Europeans tend to be so skeptical about in the whole idea of America. As an example of that, some of his early recordings were with Almanac Singers SONGS FOR JOHN DOE, anti-war stuff released against Roosevelt's WW2 politics in 1941, only to be withdrawn in a few months later when Nazi Germany attacked to Soviet Union. And then Seeger was to update his pacifist views damn quickly, and was to sing:

So, Mr. President, / We got this one big job to do / That's lick Mr. @#$%& and when we're through, / Let no one else ever take his place / To trample down the human race. / So what I want is you to give me a gun / So we can hurry up and get the job done

(The title song from Almanac Singer's DEAR MR. PRESIDENT.)

Coming from academic circles, and being a rather ordinary bloke with no such romantic hobo mysterism involved, but more that of Alan Lomax mentality, he never got the legendary status of Woodie Guthrie's in those folk revival days, but a godfather kind of figure he was for that movement, someone everybody looked upon to. And very much backing up the careers of the Dylan generation of players. So, it is understable why Dylan still actually feels uncomfortable for that famous Newport accident, no matter how good story it made.

Damn what the guy did to the banjo is itself a worth of a story of its own. He invented "Long Neck banjo" or simply "Seeger banjo" and tuned it differently to work for his style, and pretty much by his own made it the leading instrument in the early folk boom. Cool kids from the 40s and 50s had they some of that rebellous badass spirit, would have picked up seeger banjo instead that of electric guitar some day..

So RIP Pete, great to have people like you around.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 09:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 31, 2014 09:49

Give Peace a Chance
John Lennon

From another great preacher of peace ...

R.I.P John & Pete

2 1 2 0

Date: January 31, 2014 09:52

Natlanta
look geniuses, a) it's not McCarthyism to point out that Pete Seeger was a Communist... he was a member of the American Communist party... there is nothing to expose; and b) income equality being a central tenet of communism, there is some irony in Pete Seeger being 'rich'... if pointing that out is a joke, so be it.

maybe this will help: rich Communist: ironic... rich NHL goalie: not ironic.

anyway, RIP.

out.

I get it! You have to give away all your money, because you believe in a different system? Or do you mean he was some kind of a political leader?

No, he wasn't. And, as pointed out here, he left the party almost 70 years ago.

Then, there just isn't any irony left. THAT was my point smiling smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 1, 2014 09:55

RIP Pete. Another good one gone...sad smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home