Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP Pete Seeger
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 28, 2014 09:28

Pete Seeger, Songwriter and Champion of Folk Music, Dies at 94

Pete Seeger, the singer, folk-song collector and songwriter who spearheaded an American folk revival and spent a long career championing folk music as both a vital heritage and a catalyst for social change, died Monday. He was 94 and lived in Beacon, N.Y.

His death was confirmed by his grandson, Kitama Cahill Jackson, who said he died of natural causes at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Mr. Seeger’s career carried him from singing at labor rallies to the Top 10 to college auditoriums to folk festivals, and from a conviction for contempt of Congress (after defying the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s) to performing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial at an inaugural concert for Barack Obama.

Through the years, Mr. Seeger remained determinedly optimistic. “The key to the future of the world,” he said in 1994, “is finding the optimistic stories and letting them be known.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 09:47 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: OT - RIP Pete Seeger
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2014 09:31

Love him or loathe him, he was one of the most significant musical figures of our lifetimes. RIP, Pete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 09:46 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 28, 2014 09:58

In middle school he took my 6th grade class aboard his boat, the Clearwater, for a ride along the Hudson River to teach us about ecology (did it with tons of kids from the area) RIP Pete Seeger, a great artist and environmentalist.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 10:06

this is another great loss and very sad news.
a great man.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 28, 2014 10:16

RIP. sad smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:23

RIP Pete. Another one of the good 'uns gone.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:26

He left a strong legacy in his music and beliefs and lived to a good old age.

R.I.P. Pete

OT R.I.P. Pete Seeger
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2014 09:28

I liked Pete Seeger...

2 1 2 0

Re: OT R.I.P. Pete Seeger
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 28, 2014 11:31

sad sad news

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:13

RIP Mr. Seeger, you will be missed

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:14

Quite a legacy he left behind.
RIP. Pete.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:38

Great musican, unfortunatly I saw him never live in concert.

RIP Pete Seeger

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 28, 2014 14:25

Such a gifted artist and a genuinely wonderful human being. RIP, Pete.

Drew

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 28, 2014 14:40

crawdaddy
He left a strong legacy in his music and beliefs and lived to a good old age.

R.I.P. Pete

Perfectly said.

His show Rainbow Quest is a hidden gem, aired on just a small UHF station in New Jersey. I stumbled across it on youtube. He had great guests and also did some shows dedicated to artists like Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. Here's a bit about the show from wikipedia:

Altogether 39 shows, each 52 minutes long, were recorded in 1965–66 at WNJU-TV (Channel 47), a New York City-based UHF station with studios in Newark, New Jersey. The shows were broadcast by Channel 47, primarily a Spanish-language outlet, to a very limited audience because only televisions equipped with a UHF antenna and tuner could receive them, and reception was difficult in an age prior to cable. For a few years in 1967–68, the shows were repeated on public television station WNDT (Channel 13, now WNET).

Among the guests featured on the program's 39 episodes were Johnny Cash, June Carter, Reverend Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, The Stanley Brothers, Elizabeth Cotten, Patrick Sky, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Tom Paxton, Judy Collins, Donovan, Richard Fariña and Mimi Fariña, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Mamou Cajun Band, Bernice Johnson Reagon, The Beers Family, Roscoe Holcomb, Cousin Emmy and Shawn Phillips.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:44

He never did forgive Dylan for plugging in at Newport. Wanted to cut his wires with a hatchet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 15:45 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:52

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: January 28, 2014 17:07

Last night I dreamed about Pete Seeger and quoting some of his lyrics to him. Woke up this morning and found out he was gone.

I ran into Pete Seeger several times, the last being at a hotel in Minnesota. There was some old guy with a gig bag slung over his back arguing with the desk clerk. I thought, "There are some strange people in this place." Then I recognized Pete when he came over and got in the elevator with me.

A long and active life and the folk music "world was lucky to see him once."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 17:08 by rowley.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:23

Aquamarine
Love him or loathe him, he was one of the most significant musical figures of our lifetimes. RIP, Pete.

Did ANYONE loathe him? Are there people that disabled?

I am almost in tears, I was not prepared for this loss. Pete was the optimist on my behalf. When I felt the struggle could not be won, he would sing "we shall overcome" in my head. He kept the light lit. He always believed this land really is our land (and each land our collective land). I feel so much dispair with his loss. I do not have much hope for the world, too many people simply want to take too much from too many. Pete kept me hopeful, but no longer. There are no people like this anymore, the world is gone, and so are we.

From each according to his/her abilities, to each according to his/her needs.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:25

yes, there were people who loathed him.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:28

I didn't always agree with his politics but he was still a great one. RIP Pete

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2014 22:28

He was a great American. He served his country in uniform in World War II, and then stood up to the American government when it tried to silence him in the 50s and 60s. All walk, no talk.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 28, 2014 22:35

RIP Pete

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: January 28, 2014 22:49

I saw Pete 20+ years ago and talked my way backstage, nervous as hell -- I wanted to ask him to sign a program for a celebrity auction we were going to hold to build a new wing on a public library. He gladly agreed and I handed him two programs -- what's the second one for, he asked. For ME, I replied and got a smile and a little twinkle in his eye. What a dear man. The new wing was built, I have a framed program on my bedroom wall with a little banjo drawn on it, and it was the first thing I saw this morning when I switched on the radio and heard that, once again, the wrong person had died.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 28, 2014 23:31

Pete Seeger with Richie Havens

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 29, 2014 01:16

Yes, truly a great American. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind and had a good moral foundation.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 29, 2014 01:20

sdstonesguy
Aquamarine

Did ANYONE loathe him? Are there people that disabled?

I am almost in tears, I was not prepared for this loss. Pete was the optimist on my behalf. When I felt the struggle could not be won, he would sing "we shall overcome" in my head. He kept the light lit. He always believed this land really is our land (and each land our collective land). I feel so much dispair with his loss. I do not have much hope for the world, too many people simply want to take too much from too many. Pete kept me hopeful, but no longer. There are no people like this anymore, the world is gone, and so are we.

From each according to his/her abilities, to each according to his/her needs.

I agree with you (except I believe there are still people keeping the light lit), but yes, many people loathed him, accused him of being a Communist and (amazingly) anti-American, etc. Less so in recent years, thankfully.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 29, 2014 01:33

Aqua, I agree, the world that was has a hole in it now.

RIP, Pete.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 29, 2014 01:37

RIP, Pete!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 04:17

I was fortunate enough to see him at last year's Farm Aid concert in Saratoga Springs, NY.

It was reported on Thrasher's Wheat that that was his last public appearance.

I feel blessed to have sen him.

RIP.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 29, 2014 06:02

Woody24
I was fortunate enough to see him at last year's Farm Aid concert in Saratoga Springs, NY.

It was reported on Thrasher's Wheat that that was his last public appearance.

I feel blessed to have sen him.

RIP.

I'm not sure about that. He performed at the Cutting Room in november, just a few days after Ronnie and Mick Taylor, that also played there. Anyway, you are lucky to be one of those who had the chance to see him play live. smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home