Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Hollywood Reporter Article on Mick's Movie Producing
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: January 22, 2014 20:00

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

On writing his memoirs "I think the rock 'n' roll memoir is a glutted market. I'd rather be doing something new. I'd rather be making new films, making new music, be touring. If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 20:02 by Jimmy C.

Re: New Hollywood Reporter Article on Mick's Movie Producing
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 22, 2014 20:16

Photo gallery : [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 22, 2014 20:26

Great article, jagger is the best. Why write a book about the past

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 22, 2014 20:40

Nice pics and comments on autobiography, but frankly, who's interested in Mick as an actor/producer?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 22, 2014 21:48

uh oh..

"begins tugging his sweater, and fussing with his hair"

... a sure sign you've asked him something he just doesn't want to talk about...

Jagger's New Swagger: Mick Goes Hollywood
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 23, 2014 10:33

Jagger's New Swagger: Mick Moves to Movies, Blasts Idea of Memoir

On set in Mississippi as he starts up a new career as a Hollywood producer, the icon shrugs off the outcry over a white director for his James Brown biopic, reveals his brushes with rejection and vows never to write a rock autobiography like Keith Richards did: "If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia."

Mick Jagger is having a Hollywood moment … in Natchez, Miss., of all places. He's come here to be on the set of Get on Up, the James Brown biopic he is producing with his Jagged Films partner, Victoria Pearman. It is Nov. 24, and Jagger is well into his first week on the set, just a few miles away from where the film's director, Tate Taylor, lives. He slinks into the gilded ballroom of the former plantation-turned-historic Dunleith Inn, settles his tiny frame into a plush velvet couch and slips on his glasses, notes in hand. He's ready to talk business, or more specifically, how he has found himself, at age 70, juggling production duties in several notable film and television projects. He is lithe, dressed in sneakers and a baby-blue cashmere sweater, and radiates the kind of healthy glow that comes with Jagger's all-organic sober lifestyle, something he has practiced since 2001.

"Then," he says, "you get on with the creative part of it."
There's also time for fun. The night before, in this same room, Jagger hosted a dinner that morphed into a raucous dance party for some 25 cast and crewmembers of Get on Up. After the plates were cleared, Jagger's longtime partner, the fashion designer L'Wren Scott, 47, slipped her iPod onto a dock and began dancing with the film's executive producer John Norris. Then, a circle formed, and everyone -- including Jagger -- took a turn in the center, busting out their best moves. No one seems to remember the songlist, as the alcohol was flowing fast and freely.
"It was a little intimidating," Taylor says. "I was keenly aware that a rock star was watching, but I just said, 'What the hell?' "
It didn't take long, though, before Jagger began showing actor Nelsan Ellis how his character, Brown's collaborator and producer Bobby Byrd, actually danced. This is the type of expertise that almost nobody else has, based on first-hand experience: In 1964, Jagger and the Stones performed at the concert captured on film as The T.A.M.I. Show with Brown and Byrd.
But it's not just insight into dancing and music that Jagger intends to bring to this $30 million undertaking from Universal Pictures. On this project and the many others he has on tap -- including an Elvis Presley biopic with Fox 2000, an untitled HBO rock 'n' roll series with Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter, and both a scripted drama series and a Broadway play based on 20 Feet From Stardom, Morgan Neville's Oscar-nominated documentary about backup singers (in which Jagger appears) -- he wants to prove his ability to be more than a rock legend.

Last year, Jagger's tour with The Rolling Stones grossed an estimated $126 million. On Feb. 21, the band kicks off another world tour with stops in Australia, New Zealand, Abu Dhabi, Tokyo, Macau, China and maybe Tel Aviv. He himself is estimated to be worth $305 million. In his presence, multigenerational crowds flock to watch the infamous Jagger swagger, something so familiar that even today's music stars like Adam Levine worship at his feet (Maroon 5's ode "Moves Like Jagger" was one of the biggest hits of 2011). Mick Jagger, arguably the world's last great rock star in a town where the term "rock star" is used loosely to define any variety of people with success, is the real deal.
But in Hollywood, where Jagger's forays thus far have included the promising (2001's Enigma as a producer) and the not-so-acclaimed (1992's Freejack as an actor), the elusive icon still is emerging. But this is where the musician, whose band has sold 250 million albums (but amazingly has won only two Grammys), now says he wants to devote much of his time.
Jagger today splits his time between London, a castle in France's Loire Valley and a home on the Caribbean island of Mustique. He is infinitely fascinated with the human psyche and a voracious reader, tearing through three books a week on a wide range of subjects. A night owl, he often rises at midday. Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are among his all-time favorite TV shows.
With producing partner Pearman, a fellow Brit whom he met through his close friend Arnon Milchan when Pearman was an executive at Milchan's New Regency, Jagger will discuss the latest Booker Prize winner or hot British playwright. And, at least on this day, he seems outright uncomfortable talking about music. Otherwise calm, if not slightly guarded, he is most at ease talking about the more mundane, like meeting the local sheriff of Natchez during a tour of the town. But he begins tugging his sweater and fussing with his hair when the conversation shifts to The Rolling Stones, whose last studio album, 2005's A Bigger Bang, sold 2.4 million copies.
STORY: Hollywood Nightlife, Inside the Exclusive Giorgio's, the New Spot That's Drawn Mick Jagger
He also appears disinterested at this moment in establishing his rock legacy. When asked about the success many of his rock peers have had with their books, notably his own bandmate Keith Richards, whose 2010 best-seller, Life, included some uncharitable observations about Jagger, he scoffs: "I think the rock 'n' roll memoir is a glutted market. I'd rather be doing something new. I'd rather be making new films, making new music, be touring. If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money."
So Jagger, in this role, now is juggling an array of projects, from his small shop, wielding the influence necessary to be a successful producer. Most of the projects are being developed with and financed by major studios or networks. "There's virtually nobody on the planet who's not gonna take the call from Mick Jagger, which as a producer is an incredible asset to have," says Neville, who also worked with Jagger on 2012's HBO documentary Crossfire Hurricane. "It moves mountains, which is what a lot of producing is about."
Jagger, however, also has learned the hard rule of Hollywood Rejection 101: People in the entertainment business are not too star-struck to turn him down. "It's a bit like saying no in Japan," he says. "They don't say no, directly. They say no indirectly."
The idea for the James Brown biopic, set to be released Aug. 1, was first hatched by producer Brian Grazer more than a decade ago. Before Jagger came on board, Spike Lee was attached to direct the project, which was written by Brit brothers Jez and John-Henry Butterworth, with Wesley Snipes and later Eddie Murphy as Brown. But he insisted on a $75 million budget.
"Spike could have made the movie years ago," says Grazer, whom Jagger knew socially before bringing him to the project. "But he assigned such a high number to make the movie for that no studio would do that."
When Brown died in 2006, his estate was in flux, and the project hit a dead end. Then Peter Afterman, who runs the James Brown estate, approached Jagger about doing a documentary on the Godfather of Soul.
"I said, 'Let me think about it,' " Jagger recalls. "So I woke up in the morning and said, 'I'll do the documentary. But would you like to do a feature?' "

With the music rights secured thanks to Jagger's involvement, suddenly the stalled project was revived. In late 2012, Jagger and Grazer hired Taylor, whose star was rising in the wake of the box-office and critical success of The Help. The choice sparked controversy, though, with some complaining that only a black director should tackle James Brown's life story. Director John Singleton expressed unease with the project in an essay last year for THR even as he praised Grazer's past work with African-American actors and noted that Brits often have a greater appreciation for black culture than some white Americans.
"Still, it gives one pause that someone is making a movie about the icon who laid down the foundation of funk, hip-hop and black economic self-reliance with no African-American involvement behind the scenes," Singleton wrote.
Jagger has no patience for such criticism. "By that logic, only English people can play English people, only Americans can play Americans," he says, a little fire showing in his eyes. "I mean, come on. Look at [Cate Blanchett's] Elizabeth. That was a really great movie directed by an Indian [Shekhar Kapur]. I don't care if you come from Timbuktu or Tonkin or, you know, London. It doesn't matter."
Casting the actor to play Brown was the final critical decision. Jagger and Grazer drafted Chadwick Boseman, who already had stepped into the shoes of another trailblazer as Jackie Robinson in 2013's 42. Jagger says that casting Boseman was "such a key thing." He adds, "You gotta get the guy right. You've got to get him perfect. Chad's really worked very hard on [preparing]."

more of the interview - [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-23 12:16 by proudmary.

Re: Jagger's New Swagger- The Hollywood Reporter interview
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 23, 2014 12:14

Mick Jagger Goes Hollywood - PHOTO GALLERY

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 23, 2014 14:15

MICK IS THE MAN!!!

e.g.
"I think the rock 'n' roll memoir is a glutted market. I'd rather be doing something new. I'd rather be making new films, making new music, be touring. If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money."

Right on Mick, right on man!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 23, 2014 14:17

Thanks for posting proudmary

Date: January 23, 2014 20:53

Nice brief article with some stellar Jaggereque quotes. Thanks for posting PM and Jimmy C

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 21:49

As longer he's on tour again, as younger he looks again. Bit like 2005 with his current hair style. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-23 22:01 by Stonesfan2146.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 24, 2014 02:47

I think that article belongs in the Mick Jagger: Man of Many Hats thread...

Good read - thanks for posting.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:44

Busy man, that Mick and what an inspiration for aging like a rock star.

Thanks , proudmary.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:50

While I agree with him I think there's a touch of irony when the guy who doesn't want to dwell in the past is producing a James Brown biopic.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 24, 2014 05:13

<<"I think the rock 'n' roll memoir is a glutted market. I'd rather be doing something new. I'd rather be making new films, making new music, be touring. If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money.">>

Mick doesn't seem to understand. If it weren't for what he did in 1965, no one would even bother interviewing him in 2014.

If the rock n roll memoir seems to him to be "a glutted market", it's only because musicians of his generation have finally reached the age where they have a full life story to tell.

<<But he begins tugging his sweater and fussing with his hair when the conversation shifts to The Rolling Stones>>

It's always amusing when Mick expects people to not be interested in the fact that he is a Rolling Stone. Keith would never react like this, because Keith is a full-time Rolling Stone, whereas Jagger--since roughly 1984--is only a part-time Rolling Stone. Mick Jagger is the reason there has been no new Rolling Stones album since 2005.

<<he wants to prove his ability to be more than a rock legend>>

What's wrong with being a rock legend? Like that in itself is not an achievement. Particularly when they could be so much more than just an oldies nostalgia act--if only Mick's heart were in it full time.

<<But in Hollywood, where Jagger's forays thus far have included the promising (2001's Enigma as a producer) and the not-so-acclaimed (1992's Freejack as an actor), the elusive icon still is emerging. But this is where the musician, whose band has sold 250 million albums (but amazingly has won only two Grammys), now says he wants to devote much of his time.>>

So this is what now motivates him--something to replace his failed solo career in music.

Message to Mick: History will not remember you for your film production credits. May as well get juiced and rock out the sunset before night finally falls.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 24, 2014 06:43

I just hope he never again decides he can act! Freejack was down right embarrassing!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 24, 2014 07:56

I'm worth $305 million. I don't HAVE $305 million, mind you, but I'm certainly worth it. : )

Re: Jagger's New Swagger: Mick Goes Hollywood
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 24, 2014 16:44

proudmary
On this project and the many others he has on tap -- including an Elvis Presley biopic with Fox 2000, an untitled HBO rock 'n' roll series with Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter, and both a scripted drama series and a Broadway play based on 20 Feet From Stardom, Morgan Neville's Oscar-nominated documentary about backup singers (in which Jagger appears) -- he wants to prove his ability to be more than a rock legend.

I don't remember reading about this before, but I just read this:

"The Rolling Stones frontman is getting behind a TV series adapted from the Oscar-nominated documentary "Twenty Feet from Stardom," Variety announced.

Screened at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2013, "Twenty Feet from Stardom" explores the fate of the backup singers who perform in the shadow of the music industry's biggest stars.

Unlike the film, which told the story of former backup singers through the rock era, the TV series will focus exclusively on contemporary vocalists".

More on: [news.yahoo.com]

Re: Jagger's New Swagger: Mick Goes Hollywood
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 26, 2014 22:50

I watched the movie "Twenty Feet from Stardom" last night. This film was really good and I recommend it to all Stones fans. Lisa is in it, Merry Clayton, and Claudia Lennear as well. Lisa really shows well. There is a vocal isolation of Merry Clayton belting out her gut wrenching vocal in Gimme Shelter. Brings shivers to hear that turned up loud. It is a fascinating portrayal about back up singers that never made it big as solo artists. Mick is interviewed and has some good comments. You guys should check this out. One can find it On Demand from various cable and satellite providers. Worth the money spent for sure to rent this.

enjoy!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 07:39

I got the actual print magazine, and what's below was in the front of the magazine—and is not part of the internet version that I could find—about shooting the cover:

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 27, 2014 10:34

Didn't know he still had that diamond stud!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2014 02:48

stonehearted
<<"I think the rock 'n' roll memoir is a glutted market. I'd rather be doing something new. I'd rather be making new films, making new music, be touring. If someone wants to know what I did in 1965, they can look it up on Wikipedia without even spending any money.">>

Mick doesn't seem to understand. If it weren't for what he did in 1965, no one would even bother interviewing him in 2014.

If the rock n roll memoir seems to him to be "a glutted market", it's only because musicians of his generation have finally reached the age where they have a full life story to tell.

<<But he begins tugging his sweater and fussing with his hair when the conversation shifts to The Rolling Stones>>

It's always amusing when Mick expects people to not be interested in the fact that he is a Rolling Stone. Keith would never react like this, because Keith is a full-time Rolling Stone, whereas Jagger--since roughly 1984--is only a part-time Rolling Stone. Mick Jagger is the reason there has been no new Rolling Stones album since 2005.

<<he wants to prove his ability to be more than a rock legend>>

What's wrong with being a rock legend? Like that in itself is not an achievement. Particularly when they could be so much more than just an oldies nostalgia act--if only Mick's heart were in it full time.

<<But in Hollywood, where Jagger's forays thus far have included the promising (2001's Enigma as a producer) and the not-so-acclaimed (1992's Freejack as an actor), the elusive icon still is emerging. But this is where the musician, whose band has sold 250 million albums (but amazingly has won only two Grammys), now says he wants to devote much of his time.>>

So this is what now motivates him--something to replace his failed solo career in music.

Message to Mick: History will not remember you for your film production credits. May as well get juiced and rock out the sunset before night finally falls.

i leave for awhile and come back.look through all the topics and there is one constant,stonehearted is still posting away at a furious pace.
you've been here a year and have over 4000 posts yet still dont understand mick jagger? maybe you should read more and write less.

everything you said is just silly-you started off with "mick doesnt understand" that was the first tipoff that you were gonna go full retard.

"this is what motivates him-something to replace his failed solo career" what?when he was in performance or ned kelly? now i'm sure that being the only stone to have a platinum record[she's the boss] or making what is generally considered the best stones solo disc[wandering spirit]keeps him awake at night but i'm pretty sure this movie thing is a side project.the stones are hitting the road again real soon in case you havent heard.

and- "mick jagger is the reason the stones haven't made a new record since 2005"-you know this how?,please let us know.

and that "keith is a full time rolling stone,whereas jagger isnt"-are you really over the age of 14?

i'll be awaiting your angry response,which should be coming along any second.anyone with the time to make 4000 posts in just over 365 days has alot to be angry about.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 06:18

gotdablouse
Didn't know he still had that diamond stud!

According to Up and Down with the Rolling Stones Mick first had a ruby, but people thought it was blood on his tooth; then he tried an emerald, and people thought it was spinach. So then the diamond.

New Mick Jagger interview in Hollywood Reporter
Posted by: CharlieMcCoy ()
Date: January 28, 2014 23:57

Re: New Mick Jagger interview in Hollywood Reporter
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2014 00:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 00:20

Mick is making me feel old, after reading all that.

Too many projects going on, for my liking.

But if it keeps him youngish, who can argue.

Knocks Keith down a bit also imho

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 29, 2014 00:52

Thank you kindly for that!

I didn't notice any Keith 'knocking down' though, unless you mean because he shot down the notion of an autobiography...not really a 'bashing' now was it?

EDIT: good lord, auto correct had made that sentence unintelligible!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 16:22 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 29, 2014 03:51

I think the article shows Jagger, at 70, wondering what else he can do. And film/tv producer fits the bill. Actually, I think it's a long time coming, indicates he knows time is running out to prove his worth in this (a long term interest of his.

But I don't think it knocks Keith down at all.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 29, 2014 11:05

lem motlow
you've been here a year and have over 4000 posts

Actually, I've been here nearly 20 months and am just now making post number 7,146--but I'll leave it to you to suss out where the other 2,859 are scattered. Helpful hint: They'll be the ones that annoy you the most. So, happy hunting and....

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 29, 2014 11:51

On Feb. 21, the band kicks off another world tour with stops in Australia, New Zealand, Abu Dhabi, Tokyo, Macau, China and maybe Tel Aviv.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home