Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Exile: The Hopkins Tape
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 23, 2014 22:28

GOO
Too bad these takes sound awful

Too bad you think so

I love ´em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-23 22:29 by rootsman.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 23, 2014 22:47

Has anyone matrixed any of these with the later versions?

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 17:20

Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:
Interesting bit: they removed all of Taylor’s guitar, and Richards plays the overdubbed slide guitar. This means that Taylor is not on the official version of Rip This Joint.

Mathijs

RTJ: What makes you believe the slide is not an edited version of Taylor's slide and that any overdub is by Richards?

RTJ: the slide of the official version is clearly different to the slide Taylor plays on the outtake, and is executed much less professional than Taylor would do. It also very much sounds like a close miked overdub.

Mathijs

I'm confused now , surely in this video it is keith playing the slide as well ?

Rip This Joint:

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 25, 2014 19:36

Mathijs... Saying it's not MT on slide is a reach... Sounds like a different take of course but still sounds like Taylor to me.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 25, 2014 19:56

straycatblues73
Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:
Interesting bit: they removed all of Taylor’s guitar, and Richards plays the overdubbed slide guitar. This means that Taylor is not on the official version of Rip This Joint.

Mathijs

RTJ: What makes you believe the slide is not an edited version of Taylor's slide and that any overdub is by Richards?

RTJ: the slide of the official version is clearly different to the slide Taylor plays on the outtake, and is executed much less professional than Taylor would do. It also very much sounds like a close miked overdub.

Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Doesn't seem as fluid, as Taylor usually is, on slide. I have no clue. confused smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 25, 2014 20:22

MingSubu
straycatblues73
Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Mathijs

Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Doesn't seem as fluid, as Taylor usually is, on slide. I have no clue. confused smiley

That's either Richards on slide or Taylor had a pint.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 20:23 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 25, 2014 20:30

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N'ROLL (but I like it)! Great Tape. Some of these tracks should have been restorted and included in the EXILE DE LUXE release a few years ago. The Instrumental is a finished track in itself.
Anybody has a clue what could have been the working title for this?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 25, 2014 20:32

OutOfTime

Fffuuuucckk yeah!

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: January 25, 2014 20:45

His Majesty
OutOfTime

Fffuuuucckk yeah!

thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue outI don't think this title suites The Instrumetal track because it doesn't seem to be such a spontaneus eruption of music like for example @#$%&'Andrew (a.k.a. Andrews Blues)smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 25, 2014 20:51

grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 25, 2014 22:48

LuxuryStones
MingSubu
straycatblues73
Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Mathijs

Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Doesn't sound like Taylor, or it's an imitation of Keith. smiling smiley

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:02

DoomandGloom
Mathijs... Saying it's not MT on slide is a reach... Sounds like a different take of course but still sounds like Taylor to me.

Here is something Taylor did on lap steel with Champion Jack Dupree in the 60s.

Date: January 26, 2014 12:16

LuxuryStones
MingSubu
straycatblues73
Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Mathijs

Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

smiling smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 15:56

AMAZING to hear works in progress for the greatest Stones record ever. Thank you for posting!

Does anyone know where they came from? Did Nicky leave Nellcote with a tape? Was he sent a tape to think about how to arrange a piano overdub?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 26, 2014 16:19

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
MingSubu
straycatblues73
Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Mathijs

Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

smiling smiley

Definately richards on slide.
Taylor completely different. .

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 26, 2014 17:17

Mathijs
smokeydusky
Mathijs

Rip This Joint:

Rocks Off:
The little solo run at the end was kept, which works fantastically: just when you think the track is finished Taylor draws all the attention, making you want the track to continue, making you long for more. Just as with Sway, the fact that the solo ends makes it much more interesting than a long solo.

Mathijs

RO: I think Carla Osen reported that the solo was cut off because they ran out of tape (presumably Taylor was her source).
While I don't agree with all the edits, I do think the horn parts were rightly trimmed on this one and wonder why the bouncing horn parts were tried at all. Is there some soul song those bouncing come from?

RO: tape running out is rediculous, that just won't ever happen. I am absolutely sure they thought a short solo fading out early has more tension than a long solo, which also is not very Stones-y anyway.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-26 17:21 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:35

Does anyone have any info on this track? It's absolutely beautiful and is a tragedy it was never included in the Deluxe disk on the Exile remaster that came out a few years ago

Is there a melody, vocal line that is as yet unheard for this? for all the stops and starts you'd have to say that yeah highly likely there is

Any info on this would be massively appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 11, 2015 18:55

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 17:50 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 11, 2015 20:10

Mathijs
These threads about Exile made me listen back to the Nicky Hopkins tape and compare it with the final released versions.

The interesting thing is that one can really imagine why parts where removed in LA, and overdubbed by other people. It’s not the original parts where bad per se, but as the song developed with added vocal melodies etc. original parts could be in the way, messing up the track. I bet Richards tried 20 different guitar parts on Rip This Joint, but finally realized that the track is at its best with just one rhythm guitar, and a double bass overdub, which acts as an acoustic guitar filling up all the empty spaces. Wyman’s bass on Soul Survivor is great on the original track, but with the vocals it is much too ‘swinging’ than the solid, straight-forward bass it ended up with. Wyman’s bass cluttered up the very busy mix.

That the genius of producers like Miller, Richards and Jagger. As always, the magic happens in the mixing room.

All Down The Line:

The bass on the Hopkins tape is exactly the same as on the released version, which is plain proof Wyman was right ever since the release of the album: he does play bass on All Down The Line, and not Bill Plummer. It’s not an upright bass at all, it’s most likely his own homemade bass, plucked with fingers. Another interesting thing is Taylor’s part: on the Hopkins version he plays a lot more than what is released. For the Exile version they kept all his slide licks, but removed all his rhythm guitar licks (at C and D, ‘bust another bottle’ for example), and Taylor’s rhythm guitar indeed clashes with Richards driving open G guitar. Something that never really stuck out to me but now does: the Hopkins version is wide stereo, but the Exile version is mixed mono.

I Am Not Signifying:

A total different take to what they used on the Deluxe version. On the Deluxe version Richards is completely missing, while he does play (with the exact same guitar tone as on Rocks Off!), together with an acoustic, on the Hopkins tape.

Rip This Joint:

Taylor’s plays a very elaborate slide and rhythm guitar on the Hopkins version, which really doesn’t fit at all. The slide guitar is out of tune a bit, and his rhythm guitar uses the same jazzy chords he uses in the outtake of Rocks Off. Interesting bit: they removed all of Taylor’s guitar, and Richards plays the overdubbed slide guitar. This means that Taylor is not on the official version of Rip This Joint. Wyman’s bass on the Hopkins tape is indeed replaced by a double bass on the official version.

Rocks Off:

There's three guitars: the two Richards rhythm guitar left and right, and Taylor's rhythm guitar just off the right of the spectrum. Taylor plays throughout the song, mainly jazzy chords on the A and B chords, and some slide runs here and there. In my opinion, it just really clutters up the song. They decided, rightfully so in my opinion, to make Hopkins' piano the melodic central point of the track. Thus, two steady driving guitars and one melodic piano doing all the fills and runs. Taylor's guitar just messes up the tightness of the track. The little solo run at the end was kept, which works fantastically: just when you think the track is finished Taylor draws all the attention, making you want the track to continue, making you long for more. Just as with Sway, the fact that the solo ends makes it much more interesting than a long solo.

Soul Survivor:

Guitars and drums on the Hopkins tape are the same as the Alternate version as far as I hear, and on the released version these guitars are edited somewhat differently. On the Hopkins tape Wyman plays a very busy, walking bass –style part which is removed and overdubbed by Richards.

Mathijs

excellent post. thank you very much.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home