Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Rocks Off
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 11, 2016 16:13

GasLightStreet
Rocks Off is one of those Stones songs that has the studio excellence that they simply can not conjure up live ala Gimme Shelter, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Respectable and Start Me Up just to give a glimpse.

The chugging guitars, Mick's tearing and searing voice with moments of being stoned off his ass, the ease of the drums yet the intensity of them; the horns: one of the most brilliant rock'n'roll songs ever.

Truly a masterpiece from an outstanding album.

I don't agree with Respectable. I think they always play that well live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2016 17:04

stanlove
GasLightStreet
Rocks Off is one of those Stones songs that has the studio excellence that they simply can not conjure up live ala Gimme Shelter, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Respectable and Start Me Up just to give a glimpse.

The chugging guitars, Mick's tearing and searing voice with moments of being stoned off his ass, the ease of the drums yet the intensity of them; the horns: one of the most brilliant rock'n'roll songs ever.

Obviously you like bland performances then... because it's so slow when they do it.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 11, 2016 17:18

GasLightStreet
stanlove
GasLightStreet

Obviously you like bland performances then... because it's so slow when they do it.

Agree to disagree. Its basically a Chuck Berry song. They don't have problems with that.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 11, 2016 17:19

Respectable doesn´t "bite" live. But the song has to attack, just like the studio-version does. Otherwise it doesnt make sense to play it live anyway.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 11, 2016 18:19

HMS
Respectable doesn´t "bite" live. But the song has to attack, just like the studio-version does. Otherwise it doesnt make sense to play it live anyway.

Respectable was good live in 1978. In later years, it lost it's punch; one of the weaker cuts on No Security.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 11, 2016 18:23

Similar to It's It's Only Rock 'N' Roll , Respectable is boring when played live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 18:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 11, 2016 19:09

One of my favourites.
jeroen

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 11, 2016 19:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:31 by jambay.

Date: June 11, 2016 23:33

I've always loved the tunes they have with horns in them. Perhaps that needs to be documented... and Rocks Off is one of the best.

Date: June 11, 2016 23:40

From starting to make a playlist called Horns Songs it seems that most of EXILE has horns... hilarious to focus on one thing and then make a comp of it. Holy crap I didn't realize how many songs had horns in them!!!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2016 23:48

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS

[insert song] was good live in 1978. In later years, it lost it's punch; one of the weaker cuts on [insert album].

just made an adjustment, hope this is clarifying for all.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 12, 2016 18:25

There are some great guitars on this song.

Posted by: kishorcsog ()
Date: June 12, 2016 18:49

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 12, 2016 19:13

I think the version from Arlington last year is the best one of the recent years.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2021 11:40

Is this the best "Rocks Off" cover?
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-21 11:40 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 21, 2021 14:24

Always loved that track. Pure Rock'n'Roll, nothing to complain about.

Date: December 21, 2021 14:49

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 21, 2021 17:25

I like how Rocks Off sounded on the VL tour. Re: Respectable live, on the '78 tour it was smokin.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 21, 2021 18:14

Questa versione è fantastica...
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 21, 2021 19:23

Meise
Always loved that track. Pure Rock'n'Roll, nothing to complain about.

Agree, and All Down the Line and Happy, some great rock tracks mixed in w/ the bluesy others, all wrapped up in one hell of an album. Still #1 for me!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 21, 2021 19:48

One of their most perfect recordings. The live recording from Detroit in 2015 confirms that I don’t want it in the set list - Mick’s voice just doesn’t have that range anymore, and a 1973 recording wasn’t much better - but I still fall asleep to it most nights.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2021 21:37

PURE STONES .... nuffin else like it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2021 22:00

Rockman

thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 21, 2021 22:53

TheflyingDutchman

This is the best live version for me... Beats the studio version also!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:34

Doxa
nightskyman

I do think it is an effective opener, but honestly, some people here are saying it is their best recording ever. I think not (there are so many other Stones songs that qualify for that).

I don't think people are saying that. They just recognize that "Rocks Off" hits something that is actually perfect in its own terms. As a song it is not any "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Gimme Shelter", not having any of those hit-caliber, universally capturing elements in it, but it succeeds to 'say' something that really is The Stones at their best - so relaxed, so self-conscious, so strong. It simply emerges such strong vibes by the very strong terms of its own that it very much defines the Stones as as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The simple idiom of rock and roll just can't sound any better than this.

- Doxa

Kudos to Doxa, as I AM one of those saying that this will never be their "greatest" song like Sympathy, Shelter, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, et al. However, for the past 43 years, I have believed and still do believe this track more perfectly typifies the Rolling Stones, and thus, rock and roll, perfectly and without fault. It has everything once could ever hope for in a Stones' track, and I suggest that by its placement on Exile, the Stones knew it would be huge. Doxa's words "It simply emerges such strong vibes by the very strong terms of its own that it very much defines the Stones as as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The simple idiom of rock and roll just can't sound any better than this." say it so well.

Also,

smokeydusky
Carster
You should all hear the genuine mono mix, extended outro.
Rocks Off: Three collectible versions (full-time collectors only, I should know)
What genuine mono mix are you referring to?

The genuine Mono mix on the Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line SAM-3 Rolling Stones Records UK advance test pressing. Not a fold down, but a dedicated Mono mix on a couple of 7" pressed to be given to UK Radio Stations to play while the Stones rode around in limos to listen. 5 songs, Rocks Off, All Down the Line, Shine a Light, Happy, and Tumbling Dice were mixed up in Mono in late April, 1972. The Tumbling Dice is a 1-sided 7", and I have only heard of one copy. The other 2 (Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line) and (Happy c/w Shine a Light) are among the rarest of all Stones' vinyl with fewer than 3 copies of each known to exist. The Rocks Off Mono mix is unbelievably powerful.

In short, Rocks Off opening Exile is my all-time favorite Stones' studio track, and, for me, as good as the band ever got.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:37

KRiffhard
Rockman

thumbs up smileys with beer

Just a wonderful song that distills the essence of The Rolling Stones.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:39

Rocks Off opening Exile is my all-time favorite Stones' studio track, and, for me, as good as the band ever got.

HAIL HAIL ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 22, 2021 18:03

Already asked in a separate place some time ago, but has anyone ever nailed exactly what the guitars play during the bridge of the song (feel so mesmerized ...)? I can't even get the exact timing!

C

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: December 22, 2021 18:29

I thought Rocks Off was outstanding in LA on the last tour. With the horns and background vocals it was a welcome surprise.

Lyrics Rocks Off: fire the feed
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 5, 2023 17:14

Does anyone know why all the lyrics sheets and websites have the lyrics to Rocks Off wrong? They all state 'fire the @#$%&' feed', which means nothing. It clearly is 'and fight and fukc and feed', which is a reference to the then very popular theory of the Four F's (fighting, fleeing, feeding, fukcing).

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home