Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Rocks Off
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 25, 2014 21:41

HenrikBB
smokeydusky
Carster
You should all hear the genuine mono mix, extended outro.
Rocks Off: Three collectible versions (full-time collectors only, I should know)
What genuine mono mix are you referring to?

I´m very interested too ! Please come up with some details ! -
especially if this mono-mix has had an official release !

Don´t let Carster´s quotes get in the way of a good night sleep. He just throws quotes like that out all the time. Never delivers.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 25, 2014 22:58

kleermaker - Correct I mistook the 72 version on this thread for L&G.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: January 26, 2014 02:58

Rocks off should never be out of the live set list - I'd replace Tumbling Dice with RO........!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 26, 2014 04:00

winos
Rocks off should never be out of the live set list - I'd replace Tumbling Dice with RO........!

Both should be in setlist.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 26, 2014 04:32

Chris Fountain
winos

Both should be in setlist.

Tough song to do live. The vocal goes up a whole octave, and the bridge is really hard to get right.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:29

LieB
drewmaster
and when Jagger comes in he sounds beaten down and depressed. To be sure, that dispirited Jagger voice works brilliantly in the context of their finest ballads (for example, the vastly superior Moonlight Mile, which has similar lyrical themes to Rocks Off), but his torpor here deflates the experience of Rocks Off, as opposed to elevating it.

For me, Jagger's "torpor" is perhaps the best part of the song. I agree that he sounds a bit like he did on slower songs at the time, but it sounds great here. Dazed and subdued for sure.

On live versions he's more loud and high-pitched which takes away some of the atmosphere.

- Why on earth does he have to be dazed and subdued in an up-tempo song? This we never heard on the album before, "Sticky Fingers". RS must have undergone a big change, that`s for sure.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:36

Doxa
nightskyman

I do think it is an effective opener, but honestly, some people here are saying it is their best recording ever. I think not (there are so many other Stones songs that qualify for that).

I don't think people are saying that. They just recognize that "Rocks Off" hits something that is actually perfect in its own terms. As a song it is not any "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Gimme Shelter", not having any of those hit-caliber, universally capturing elements in it, but it succeeds to 'say' something that really is The Stones at their best - so relaxed, so self-conscious, so strong. It simply emerges such strong vibes by the very strong terms of its own that it very much defines the Stones as as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The simple idiom of rock and roll just can't sound any better than this.

- Doxa

At first, I was not able to say anything here, because how was I to express my view. In kleermaker's thread with invitation to nominate five greatest songs on EXILE, "Rock's off" was outside my best four tracks and only, perhaps, perhaps not (on that occasion, even, not), among the closest challengers to be the fifth best song of the album to me. However, I have not got the faintest wish to say anything negative about "Rocks off". But when I can balance my own trivial written lines here and their verdict with this one of your posts, finally I am thankfully able, too, to enter some point of view on "Rocks off".

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 26, 2014 11:52

RobberBride
HenrikBB
smokeydusky
Carster
You should all hear the genuine mono mix, extended outro.
Rocks Off: Three collectible versions (full-time collectors only, I should know)
What genuine mono mix are you referring to?

I´m very interested too ! Please come up with some details ! -
especially if this mono-mix has had an official release !

Don´t let Carster´s quotes get in the way of a good night sleep. He just throws quotes like that out all the time. Never delivers.

Thanks

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:17

Keith on fire. This is genious. So good. Taylor does his licks (the piano sounding on the instrumental version)

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:40

drewmaster
I know I’m gonna be Exiled from the IORR for writing this, but I gotta be honest, I don’t especially dig Rocks Off. I mean, it’s okay and all, and there are some nice country-blues licks in there, but I certainly don’t get what all the fuss is about. So sue me.

The opening riff sounds tentative and mushy, and when Jagger comes in he sounds beaten down and depressed. To be sure, that dispirited Jagger voice works brilliantly in the context of their finest ballads (for example, the vastly superior Moonlight Mile, which has similar lyrical themes to Rocks Off), but his torpor here deflates the experience of Rocks Off, as opposed to elevating it. None of the other members of the band, with the exception of Charlie, sound particularly awake or thrilled to be here. And to make matters worse, when those rather shrill horns come in (as they do far too often on the rest of Exile as well) they seem to imply that the Stones themselves are too zonked out to carry the song without some outside assistance.

Is this song meant to get the adrenaline pumping? If so, it fails, at least for me. Or is it meant to be a downer? If so, it succeeds.

Drew

Yeah, I'd tend to agree.

It's an ok country rocker with Mick doing his country drawl, Yee hah!.

The whole of Exile doesn't do much for me compared to the previous albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-26 12:45 by howled.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 26, 2014 13:56

After all, Jagger ain`t no Jim Morrison.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 26, 2014 14:09

noughties

Thankfully.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 26, 2014 14:12

noughties

Thank god he is no Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Elvis Presley or Albert Einstein either, but Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 26, 2014 15:16

I wouldn't compare Mick to Jim, very different.

Mick is no John Fogerty or Robert Plant either.

Mick has a voice that is very interesting because it's not a great voice in a strict sense and it seems to have 3 different things to it, the different low register (on Ruby Tuesday), the mid register and his falsetto which he should have left to the Bee Gees.

Mick is best in the mid range howling out the Blues IMO and he has a certain delivery and tone that fits it.

His low register isn't much and his falsetto isn't much IMO.

He hardly uses any vibrato at all.

Mick singing a Jazz Standard would be interesting.

On Ruby Tuesday he's having to go down to the low register for the verses and then go up for the chorus and I don't think Mick's voice is the greatest at that sort of thing.

He's also got his Country thang, and his very English thing (Lady Jane).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-26 15:21 by howled.

Date: January 26, 2014 22:40

Mick Jagger's voice has an awesome sound, a sound none of his contemporaries have. For me, that's way more important than range or technical skills.

Don Covay's voice has a similar sound, btw.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 26, 2014 22:44

DandelionPowderman
Mick Jagger's voice has an awesome sound, a sound none of his contemporaries have. For me, that's way more important than range or technical skills.

Don Covay's voice has a similar sound, btw.

Mick has a distinguished voice, but his falsetto is so so. And compared to John Lennon his voice is just mediocre.

Date: January 26, 2014 23:54

His falsetto is so much better than Lennon's grinning smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 27, 2014 03:17

Mick Jagger has the perfect voice for the Rolling Stones it is part of the band.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:45

I'll never forget the first time I heard this song. It turned me into a Stones fan all over again. It captures the feel and attitude of what the band is all about as well as any of their songs.

Never heard it played well live.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 30, 2014 14:18

DandelionPowderman
His falsetto is so much better than Lennon's grinning smiley

And alot worse than barry gibb's..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2014 23:13

One of a few perfect songs they ever wrote and recorded. Excellent everything. Horns are fantastic.

Live it's a mess. Amazing they can't pull it off live like they can Monkey Man and Tumbling Dice and a few others that one might think would be difficult or impossible to pull of live.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 10, 2016 10:31

This freekin song ROCKS!!!!! both studio and LIVE!!

Esp The part when Mick sings...
Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene.
Feel so mesmerized all that inside me.

Followed by one of the best band comes crashing in rocking and rolling, of all time!!! every time

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me!!!

e.g. @ 2:28 [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 10, 2016 10:37

Perfect song for exile.

Date: June 10, 2016 10:50

jambay
This freekin song ROCKS!!!!! both studio and LIVE!!

Esp The part when Mick sings...
Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene.
Feel so mesmerized all that inside me.

Followed by one of the best band comes crashing in rocking and rolling, of all time!!! every time

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me!!!

e.g. @ 2:28 [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Can you believe that they edited away that line on Live Licks.

Sacrilege...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 10, 2016 11:12

Perfect song for a perfect album.
And with perfect I mean perfect: everything is exactly as it should be, despite (or thanks to) the overall ad-lib, loose feel of it.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 11:31

matxil
And with perfect I mean perfect: everything is exactly as it should be, despite (or thanks to) the overall ad-lib, loose feel of it.

Not quite perfect IMO. The machine-like vocals in the bridge I find somewhat grating. But it's a brilliant song of course. And like many of the their brilliant songs, not worth a dime live.

Date: June 10, 2016 11:39

Swayed1967
matxil

Not quite perfect IMO. The machine-like vocals in the bridge I find somewhat grating. But it's a brilliant song of course. And like many of the their brilliant songs, not worth a dime live.

Er...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 10, 2016 13:24

This song has all what rock´n´roll is all about.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 14:47

RockingLonestar
This song has all what rock´n´roll is all about.

Agreed

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 10, 2016 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
matxil

Er...

Hehe, I can see what matxil means. It's not an obvious straight away live song, it's a bit quirky for a Stones rock 'n' roll song. (I can see a more virtuoso rock band like Led Zeppelin do a song like it.)
Either way, it's one of my all-time favourite Stones songs, and I've been discovering new things in the studio recording so many times.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home