Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - "Going Back Home"
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 5, 2014 22:24

Rockman
keen ta hear ...Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window...
Wilco did a fair cover of From A Buick Six back way back around 2005

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 5, 2014 22:46

Hello,

Ten days on and I'm *this* close to wearing out the CD, hah-hah!

Not remotely close to out-staying its welcome: Dalts is terrific as is J.W. naturally but a massive amount of thanks and appreciation go to Norman, Dylan and Mick Talbot and Steve Weston.

[www.youtube.com]

Just get it.

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 23:21 by SimonN.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 6, 2014 06:44

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure I'll pick up this CD at some point. I'm sure also that Roger is happy to finally be recording some new music again.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 6, 2014 11:08

The CD's a cracker. Warming me up to see Wilko on Wednesday.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: April 6, 2014 12:59

Hello,

Just a footnote to all this; Steve 'West' Weston, the harmonica man on the album, has been on the blues circuit for many years. There's a blues club in London called Ain't Nothin But (which is a great place, incidentally), and I've seen him play there two or three times. He is an absolute master, not just on the harp, but as a front man; he's completely owned the place every time I've seen him and always try to get along when he's playing. As soon as I saw the vid for 'Keep It To Myself' I recognised him.
I've never listened to any of his recorded work but, in a live setting, he's essential.

Declan

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 6, 2014 13:13

Hi Declan,

Thanks for that: Mr Weston's playing makes the album for me, and at the SBE show he absolutely stormed it! I was really impressed by Mick Talbot's contribution too. Glad I was there.

I'll be making a trip to 'Ain't Nothin' But' before too long, I hope...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 6, 2014 14:08

It's really quite good, but I can't help but feel it's overall rather generic "old men's rock". Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window is my personal favourite.

Date: April 6, 2014 17:49

Lorenz
It's really quite good, but I can't help but feel it's overall rather generic "old men's rock". Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window is my personal favourite.

That's why your on this website. Old Men Rock. LOL.

Scotty

Date: April 24, 2014 02:38

I've been enjoying this CD since a copy finally found its way into the local record shop a couple weeks back.

Both the front and back and inside of the CD cover have numerous early photos of Daltrey and Johnson, and it's obvious that they are both drawing on the inspiration of younger years for this recording.

For instance, in the opening track Going Back Home, Roger is reprising a vocal style and sound that predates even the Who's first album, which can be heard in the clip below from a club gig in October 1964 when they were calling themselves the High Numbers.

For his part, you'll notice that Wilko's opening guitar part in Going Back Home is clearly taken from the opening of The Who song Run, Run, Run.

Ice On The Motorway is another standout track.

Date: April 24, 2014 14:46

The guitar opening to Going Back Home is a riff Mick Green came up with and showed Wilko. At least that's how Wilko explained it at a meet & greet about eighteen months ago.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:35

Mick Green was awesome....Johnny Kidd and The Pirates were doing shitkicking r'n'b in the months before The Stones had even formed and were a huge influence on bands such as The Who, Hollies and countless others. Never spoken of in less than glowing terms by the beat groups that followed them and along with Cliff and The Shads were the very best of the pre-Beatle UK era.
Isn't it nice to hear Daltrey singing something that isn't part of a concept album and even better to hear Wilko scratching away...thanks for posting these tracks, i'm gonna have to buy this.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: April 24, 2014 18:58

I know you lost your wife Irene – your childhood sweetheart - to cancer in 2004. Do you think if she were still here today, you’d have made a different decision as far as your own cancer?

Oh, no – I would’ve made the same decision. It really wasn’t a difficult one, you see: they told me they couldn't cure the cancer; they couldn't stop it – all they could do was slow it down.

“You’ve probably got about 10 months to live – maybe a year, if you have chemotherapy.” (laughs) That didn't sound like a very good deal to me. I'd rather let the cancer take its course, you know? I know what it’s like to have someone I loved taken away from me … that’s the most painful thing I could ever go through.

When my wife died, it was much quicker; she died within four months of the diagnosis.

But this past year has been so extraordinary – all the things that have happened to me. I’ve really had some marvelous experiences.

Wilko interview on Relix.com

Date: April 25, 2014 01:00

teleblaster
The guitar opening to Going Back Home is a riff Mick Green came up with and showed Wilko. At least that's how Wilko explained it at a meet & greet about eighteen months ago.

Then perhaps Pete Townshend lifted that riff from Mick Green, as I understand he was an influence. The Who covered Shakin' All Over numerous times in concert, and Johnny Kidd and The Pirates were, in musical terms, the first single-guitar-driven power trio.

But for Mick Green to show him the lick personally, it would have to predate the 1966 recording of Run, Run, Run by The Who. Was Wilko on the scene that early?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:33

stonehearted
Then perhaps Pete Townshend lifted that riff from Mick Green, as I understand he was an influence. The Who covered Shakin' All Over numerous times

I thought Green didn't play on Shakin' all over?

Date: April 25, 2014 02:29

Braincapers
stonehearted
Then perhaps Pete Townshend lifted that riff from Mick Green, as I understand he was an influence. The Who covered Shakin' All Over numerous times

True, but Shakin' All Over was a #1 hit, and obviously The Who found it to be a great vehicle for adding their heavy jamming touches of the time.

It seems that in fact Mick Green did show the riff to Wilko--in the mid-70s when they co-wrote Going Back Home together for inclusion on a Dr. Feelgood album. However, that would mean that Townshend came up with the riff first nearly a decade before.... unless I can find that the riff originates from The Pirates, from the Johnny Kidd and The Pirates compilation CD I've just purchased online (Please Don't Touch! The 1959-1962 recordings)--however, that CD collection seems to predate Mick Green's arrival. I'll keep digging, and if and when I find the origin of the chord, I'll report back to this space.

Meanwhile, here's the original of Going Back Home, from 1975.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 25, 2014 07:19

Mick Green? under the influence probably but not an influence thumbs up

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 25, 2014 10:16

Braincapers
stonehearted

True, but Shakin' All Over was a #1 hit, and obviously The Who found it to be a great vehicle for adding their heavy jamming touches of the time.

It seems that in fact Mick Green did show the riff to Wilko--in the mid-70s when they co-wrote Going Back Home together for inclusion on a Dr. Feelgood album. However, that would mean that Townshend came up with the riff first nearly a decade before.... unless I can find that the riff originates from The Pirates, from the Johnny Kidd and The Pirates compilation CD I've just purchased online (Please Don't Touch! The 1959-1962 recordings)--however, that CD collection seems to predate Mick Green's arrival. I'll keep digging, and if and when I find the origin of the chord, I'll report back to this space.

quote]

Yeah Green joined The Pirates in late January(ish) 1962. First release he is on is the single Shot Of Rhythm and Blues/ I Can Tell. The latter (while not as great as the original) is excellent. The band then go merseybeat but check out The Pirates solo single My Babe/Casting My Spell - it's awesome and the b-side of Kidd's terrible Always and ever is a really fab version of Dr Feelgood. Kidds vocal is fantastic .
The Who also played Please Don't Touch on Ready Steady Go in 1966 as a tribute to Kidd who had died shortly before their tv appearance. This exists as audio somewhere but i've not heard it myself.
Kidd fans should keep a look out towards the end of next year. An expedition team are currently hard at work sailing the seas in search of buried treasure.
Anyway, enough piracy, make sure you buy Roger and Wilko.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 10:18 by ash.

Date: April 25, 2014 11:26

While there is a superficial resemblance between the two intros, the two riffs are different and I doubt that the Mick Green riff is influenced directly by the Townsend motif. What enthused Wilko about the Mick Green riff - which underpins the whole song he went on to pen around it - is the way it seamlessly combines rhythm and lead which was what Wilko particularly admired in Mick's playing and which is still central to his own highly influential style. It's built around the A chord and involves a bass line using the left thumb, holding down a chord and playing the hook with the spare fingers. I saw him demonstrate the different parts of it and, in many ways, it epitomises his style, i.e, a left-hander playing right handed with bare fingers. It's a very nifty lick, but it comes from Mick Green, not Townsend.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: April 25, 2014 14:31

teleblaster
the two riffs are different

is what I was going to say.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 17:14

One of the best album this year, i love it

Date: April 26, 2014 02:39

PTownshend
Mick Green? under the influence probably but not an influence thumbs up

If my failing memory serves me correctly there were two consecutive issues of Trouser Press in the late 70's that listed the 100 greatest guitarists. In Mick Greens bio it was stated that Page, Townsend and Blackmore all cite Mick as an early influence on their playing styles. This is how I became aware and into The Pirates. I've got both issues stored somewhere. I'll have to dig them out to confirm this.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

"Rock and Roll is a nuclear blast of reality in a mundane world where no one is allowed to be magnificent." - Kim Fowley

Here's a little fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 02:49 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 2, 2014 04:30

Like the Harp on the CD, Listen Mick

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 2, 2014 09:45

I can't get over how great this album is, I've literally had to stop playing it in case I get sick of it. cool smiley

Edit: The Who posted this on Twitter about ten minutes ago:

Wilko Johnson is recovering following a nine hour operation on Wednesday in which doctors successfully removed a pancreatic tumour.

Yay!!

More from his Facebook page:

The head of the medical team treating Wilko said that they were happy with his condition.

Wilko will stay under very close observation for the next few days. Although cautiously optimistic the team have to stress that it is very early days yet.

The family thank everyone for their good wishes and ask for some privacy at this time so they can support Wilko with his recovery in peace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 10:06 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:26

Great album, really love it a lot.
great riffs and daltreys voice blows me away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wish Jagger would and could sing like that.

Jeroen

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 2, 2014 19:53

corriecas
Great album, really love it a lot.
great riffs and daltreys voice blows me away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wish Jagger would and could sing like that.

Jeroen
And they thought Rog was done. No way. Pete needs to write some better songs for him to sing.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 2, 2014 22:25

black n blue
Like the Harp on the CD, Listen Mick

and listen to daltreys Voice mick. Maybe you can ask who advises rodger.
jeroen

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 02:58

Yup Townshend need to write for his muse. Roger can hit it out the park right now. Take advantage of it!

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: May 3, 2014 09:34

Wilko had a football-size tumour, as well as his entire pancreas, his spleen, part of his stomach, parts of both his small and large intestines, and removal and reconstruction of blood vessels relating to the liver. He's pulled through the surgery. He's a tough bloke. Roger is in the studio soon to lay vocals on selected tracks from a new & larger project that could result in a new Who LP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-03 09:37 by PTownshend.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 3, 2014 10:07

PTownshend
Wilko had a football-size tumour, as well as his entire pancreas, his spleen, part of his stomach, parts of both his small and large intestines, and removal and reconstruction of blood vessels relating to the liver. He's pulled through the surgery. He's a tough bloke. Roger is in the studio soon to lay vocals on selected tracks from a new & larger project that could result in a new Who LP.

thumbs up to all parts of this!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 3, 2014 10:53

[www.independent.co.uk]
Some good news hopefully .
I too love this album and have played in my car frequently,loved the Feelgoods and his Solid Senders.
Was unable to see him on his recent tour,love his comment about dying in the interview clip above.
The man is an absolute diamond

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home