Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - "Going Back Home"
Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: January 18, 2014 22:14

Recording a new album with Daltry! Time Waits for Some...

[www.thisiskent.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 13:54 by bv.

Re: OT: Wilko/Who ?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2014 00:35

Great reading, thanks for posting. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Feelgood, and all the news I've already read about Wilko made me admire him even more. Especially this excerpt from this post:

"I thought: 'This feels really good here, I'm really sorry I've got to die because I want to do a lot more of this.' It was such a nice feeling."

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 19, 2014 00:46

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 19, 2014 00:55

I wish Townshend had Daltrey's or even Wilko's work ethic.

Townshend should look upon old age as a form of terminal cancer and just get busy already.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 19, 2014 01:23

stonehearted

Townshend should look upon old age as a form of terminal cancer and just get busy already.

I would say the same about The Stones too...and everyone else for that matter...

Date: January 19, 2014 19:59

Video posted on Wilko's Facebook page Thursday. Was gonna forward it to you via email Matt. Guess I don't have to now. LOL.

Scotty

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 20, 2014 07:08

stonehearted

What's Townsend got left in the tank? All he's gonna give are a bunch of mediocre half written songs at this point...he was a perfect songwriter that needs to rest now.

OT: Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey - joint album and London gig in February
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2014 12:16

Amazing news for fans of Wilko Johnson and The Who's Roger Daltrey. The pair have an album coming out and are doing a one off show at Shepherd's Bush Empire on Feb 25. Here's information from Wilko's website.

WILKO JOHNSON & ROGER DALTREY: ‘GOING BACK HOME’.

January 22, 2014 at 10:00am

Album Released On Chess Records: 10 March 2014

Very Special One Off Show At The O2 Shepherds Bush Empire: 25 February 2014

Wilko Johnson, legendary guitarist with Canvey Island pub rock pioneers Dr Feelgood, and Roger Daltrey, lead singer of rock giants The Who are to release a joint album ‘Going Back Home’ on March 10th on the world famous Chess label which has been resurrected especially for the purpose.

The album features 11 tracks, ten of which are Wilko originals from both his Dr Feelgood days and solo years, whilst the sole cover on the album is a version of Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited classic ‘Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window’.

Wilko and Roger will be performing tracks from the album at a very special one off show at The O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on February 25th.

The album’s roots began in 2010 when Roger and Wilko found themselves sitting together at an awards ceremony talking about raucous old school British rhythm & blues. “It turned out we both loved Johnny Kidd & The Pirates,” says Roger, name-checking the turn-of-‘60s creators of Shakin’ All Over and Please Don’t Touch. “They’d been a big influence on both our bands. That heavy power trio sound, backing up a singer; it’s a British institution. No-one does that better than us.”

They decided on the spot it would be a great idea to collaborate together on an album but both being busy men, the idea drifted away.

Then in January 2013 Wilko was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told he had just months to live. The guitarist - riding high after Julien Temple’s acclaimed Dr Feelgood documentary Oil City Confidential - seized upon the opportunity to make the most of his time left.

When The Who finished a sold-out world tour Daltrey was delighted to discover that, mercifully, Wilko was still well enough to fulfil their ambition of making an album together. “Roger jumped up and said, ‘Let’s do it,’” says Johnson. “He knew this lovely little studio called Yellow Fish in Uckfield. Unfortunate name for a place, but a great studio.”

The album was recorded last November in a week, using Wilko’s crack touring band of Blockheads bassist Norman Watt-Roy and drummer Dylan Howe, with ex-Style Council and Dexy’s keyboardist Mick Talbot also guesting. Wilko credits the producer, Dave Eringa, with pulling it all together in such a short time. “Everyone got on famously,” says Johnson, “it was a great atmosphere.”

The album mostly features re-makes of vintage Wilko gems, including the Feelgoods’ All Through The City, Keep It Out Of Sight and Going Back Home – the latter co-written in 1975 with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates’ guitarist Mick Green – plus Everybody’s Carrying A Gun, originally recorded by his post-Feelgoods group The Solid Senders, and the solo ‘80s rockers Ice On The Motorway and I’m Going To Keep It To Myself. There is also a hidden gem, the heart-wrenching ballad Turned 21, which has never been properly released or performed live.

For Wilko, who has faced down his cancer with admirable good humour and steely courage, Going Back Home represents a dream fulfilled at the end of his life. “I’ve had a brilliant year,” he says. “I was meant to die in October and now I’ve recorded this with Roger. I can’t keep gushing, but I saw The Who in 1969 when I was at university. He’s a star to me.”

“I’m very proud of this album,” adds Daltrey who is donating his royalties from the album to a Teen Cancer charity “So much music today is over polished. This record has a freshness that can only come from the pressures we’re under.”

“You mean me dying?” Johnson laughs “Yes,” says Roger. “Because of that inconsiderate lump inside you. Who the hell does it think it is?!”

Wilko and Roger will be performing tracks from the album at a very special one off show at London’s O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire on February 25th the tickets for which go on sale this Friday.

Tickets for The O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on 25/02/14 are available from 9am on Friday 24th January from www.aeglive.co.uk/

Wilko Johnson And Roger Daltrey ‘Going Back Home’ CD (Cat No CRCD2014) and digital download:

Tracklist for ‘Going Back Home’

All Through The City (Wilko Johnson)

Sneaking Suspicion (Wilko Johnson)

Going Back Home (Wilko Johnson)

Everybody’s Carrying A Gun (Wilko Johnson)

Keep It Out Of Sight (Wilko Johnson)

Keep On Loving You (Wilko Johnson, Norman Watt-Roy, Salvatore Ramundo)

Some Kind Of Hero (Wilko Johnson)

Turned 21 (Wilko Johnson)

I Keep It To Myself (Wilko Johnson)

Ice On The Motorway (Wilko Johnson)

Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window (Bob Dylan)

[www.wilkojohnson.com]

Re: OT: Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey - joint album and London gig in February
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 22, 2014 12:51

Silver Dagger
Amazing news for fans of Wilko Johnson and The Who's Roger Daltrey. The pair have an album coming out and are doing a one off show at Shepherd's Bush Empire on Feb 25. Here's information from Wilko's website.

Wilko Johnson, legendary guitarist with Canvey Island pub rock pioneers Dr Feelgood, and Roger Daltrey, lead singer of rock giants The Who are to release a joint album ‘Going Back Home’ on March 10th on the world famous Chess label which has been resurrected especially for the purpose.

The album features 11 tracks, ten of which are Wilko originals from both his Dr Feelgood days and solo years, whilst the sole cover on the album is a version of Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited classic ‘Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window’.

Wilko and Roger will be performing tracks from the album at a very special one off show at The O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on February 25th.

The album’s roots began in 2010 when Roger and Wilko found themselves sitting together at an awards ceremony talking about raucous old school British rhythm & blues. “It turned out we both loved Johnny Kidd & The Pirates,” says Roger, name-checking the turn-of-‘60s creators of Shakin’ All Over and Please Don’t Touch. “They’d been a big influence on both our bands. That heavy power trio sound, backing up a singer; it’s a British institution. No-one does that better than us.”

They decided on the spot it would be a great idea to collaborate together on an album but both being busy men, the idea drifted away.

Then in January 2013 Wilko was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told he had just months to live. The guitarist - riding high after Julien Temple’s acclaimed Dr Feelgood documentary Oil City Confidential - seized upon the opportunity to make the most of his time left.

When The Who finished a sold-out world tour Daltrey was delighted to discover that, mercifully, Wilko was still well enough to fulfil their ambition of making an album together. “Roger jumped up and said, ‘Let’s do it,’” says Johnson. “He knew this lovely little studio called Yellow Fish in Uckfield. Unfortunate name for a place, but a great studio.”

The album was recorded last November in a week, using Wilko’s crack touring band of Blockheads bassist Norman Watt-Roy and drummer Dylan Howe, with ex-Style Council and Dexy’s keyboardist Mick Talbot also guesting. Wilko credits the producer, Dave Eringa, with pulling it all together in such a short time. “Everyone got on famously,” says Johnson, “it was a great atmosphere.”

The album mostly features re-makes of vintage Wilko gems, including the Feelgoods’ All Through The City, Keep It Out Of Sight and Going Back Home – the latter co-written in 1975 with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates’ guitarist Mick Green – plus Everybody’s Carrying A Gun, originally recorded by his post-Feelgoods group The Solid Senders, and the solo ‘80s rockers Ice On The Motorway and I’m Going To Keep It To Myself. There is also a hidden gem, the heart-wrenching ballad Turned 21, which has never been properly released or performed live.

For Wilko, who has faced down his cancer with admirable good humour and steely courage, Going Back Home represents a dream fulfilled at the end of his life. “I’ve had a brilliant year,” he says. “I was meant to die in October and now I’ve recorded this with Roger. I can’t keep gushing, but I saw The Who in 1969 when I was at university. He’s a star to me.”

“I’m very proud of this album,” adds Daltrey who is donating his royalties from the album to a Teen Cancer charity “So much music today is over polished. This record has a freshness that can only come from the pressures we’re under.”

“You mean me dying?” Johnson laughs “Yes,” says Roger. “Because of that inconsiderate lump inside you. Who the hell does it think it is?!”

Wilko and Roger will be performing tracks from the album at a very special one off show at London’s O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire on February 25th the tickets for which go on sale this Friday.

Tickets for The O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on 25/02/14 are available from 9am on Friday 24th January from www.aeglive.co.uk/

Wilko Johnson And Roger Daltrey ‘Going Back Home’ CD (Cat No CRCD2014) and digital download:

[www.wilkojohnson.com]

Would love to see this show, but will miss it unfortunately.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: OT: Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey - joint album and London gig in February
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2014 12:53

paulywaul
Silver Dagger

[www.wilkojohnson.com]

We all know where you'll be Mr Paul.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 22, 2014 14:35

It's great news, but can't make the show (work commitments, not the tour). Boo Hoo!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 22, 2014 15:11

Silver Dagger
paulywaul
Silver Dagger

[www.wilkojohnson.com]

We all know where you'll be Mr Paul.

Well actually Mr SD, I wont be where you're probably thinking I'll be (somewhere in the far east I should imagine), I'll actually be at work (heaven forbid) in you also know where - fightin' off them sodding tsetse flies !!

But I will be there in that other place on 9th & 12th March ......... cool smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 23, 2014 20:53

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 24, 2014 01:05

Roger, Wilko, Over and Out.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 24, 2014 15:02

Tickets for the Shepherd's Bush Empire concert are on sale now.

[www.axs.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 24, 2014 18:02

It's inspiring to read that he's still fighting the battle. Keep it at bay, Wilko! thumbs up

O/T Wilko Johnson
Date: February 5, 2014 16:28

Sorry if this has already been posted, but there's more news on the Wilko front. His band are supporting Status Quo on some of the forthcoming tour. Got a standing ticket for Glasgow O2 Academy on April 9th (Wilko is not playing at the gig in the same venue on the 8th). Maybe another last chance to catch the joy that is Wilko live. I can't make the show with Daltry, so this is the next best thing.

If you fancy seeing Wilko on this tour, check the dates closely, as it seems he is only playing a selection of the gigs. Not sure how I feel about seeing another Quo gig - my last one was in the mid seventies. It's the original band, so the setlist will probably be very similar and at least I'll know some of the numbers.

Re: O/T Wilko Johnson
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2014 16:53

Just looked on Quo site and 3 gigs in London end of March.
Gonna do my best to be at one of 'em if I am in Old London Town then.
Wilko and Quo on the same night . Great !!!!! hot smiley

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 6, 2014 02:16

Got my Frantic Four ticket for Brum.

Wilko Supporting. ('n maybe coming out for a tune? Furious Five?!)

Awesome!!!!!!!!

\m/

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 6, 2014 04:05

Oh thank God, I thought this thread might be announcing his demise. Go Wilko, my hero! thumbs up

Date: February 6, 2014 11:42

Aquamarine
Oh thank God, I thought this thread might be announcing his demise. Go Wilko, my hero! thumbs up

It would appear that there's still a good bit of life left in this particular old dog yet!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 6, 2014 15:57

tele

I saw one of the Quo reunion shows last year. It was the first time I had seen them since 1979 and they blew me away as they had morphed back into a rock band. Going again this year and delighted Wilco is supporting them.

Date: February 6, 2014 17:01

Thanks Valeswood. Good to know. They certainly were a rockin' band back in the day, then they seemed to turn into a parody of themselves. Wilko will be a great opener. Would love to see Quo invite him back on to join them for a number during their set!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 6, 2014 17:59

Hi Iain,

Valeswood is dead right, as my illiterate report of a Frantic Four show in Manch last March sort of confirms, hah-hah!

[www.iorr.org]

Going again in April: looking forward immensely!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: February 6, 2014 18:28

Thanks Simon

I remember reading your review of the last tour. Quo were, in fact, my first big rock gig in about 73/74 and, although I'm primarily going to see Wilko, I'm looking forward to a good ol' heads down boogie later.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:08

Few days ago I watched the "Rock and Roll London show 1972" and a friend told me that Wilko Johnson and John B. Sparkes played at that show. They both were members of Heinz. We don't see them in the movie but one can heard them play on "Be Bop A lula" at around 3 minutes in that clip. It 's a great movie, free on Youtube.
Rock and roll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Date: February 16, 2014 20:09

Two recent YouTube posts. Can't wait for the album. Thanks to the biggest US Wilko fan, Matt aka Glimmerman, for bringing these to my attention.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 16, 2014 22:27

seitan
stonehearted

I would say the same about The Stones too...and everyone else for that matter...

You'd think the knowledge that time is running out would cause people to get busy, but for some reason it doesn't work that way. For most people, it's the opposite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-16 22:54 by tatters.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 16, 2014 22:40

Re: OT: Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - "Going Back Home"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2014 23:56

keen ta hear ...Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window...
Wilco did a fair cover of From A Buick Six back way back around 2005

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home