Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: Rock Me Baby
Posted by: René ()
Date: January 13, 2014 10:43

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Rock Me Baby
(BB King / Joe Bihari)

Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, California, US, November 4, 2002 and
Cello Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, Summer 2004

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - keyboards
Bobby Keys - saxophone
Tim Ries - saxophone
Michael Davis - trombone
Kent Smith - trumpet

Rock me baby, rock me all night long, yeah, come on
Rock me baby, rock me all night long, yeah, yeah
Keep on rocking me little girl
Till my back ain't got no bone, come on

Roll me baby, like you roll a wagon wheel
Roll me baby, like you roll a wagon wheel
Keep on rocking me little girl
You don't know how good it makes me feel, come on than, come on rock me

Come on, come on, yeah, rock me baby, baby, won’t you rock me slow
You wanna rock me baby, but I want you to rock me slow
Yeah, you keep on trashing little girl
And I want you to hang on, I don’t know where I’m gonna go, yeah, rock me

Come on, rock me baby, rock me baby, rock me baby, rock me baby, oh yeah
Oh yeah, rock it down all night long
Don’t you want to keep on rocking little girl
Till my back ain't got no bone

Produced by The Glimmer Twins & Don Was

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Live Licks” 2CD
(Virgin 07243 8 75186 2 9) UK, November 1, 2004

Re: Track Talk: Rock Me Baby
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2014 10:45

Ooh ..another standard rock-tune without any special hook...let's say 3/5 anyway....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:04

Even if I am not an an AC/DC fan I enjoyed RMB in 2003 in Hockenheim. These kind of blues songs are simple, but they need very good performers (like the Stones for example) who are capable of underlining the sexy groove. A mediocre performer will make RMB sound worn out and boring.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:07

I quite like the Live Licks version. The AC/DC guestspotversions of 2003 didn't do it for me though, however much I love AC/DC.

The Live Licks edit is way better than it's original though, since Keith' stronger solo (which was originally played after Ronnie's) was moved to an earlier spot for Live Licks. You can find the original order on Four Flicks I think.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:09

CROPPER ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:13

Oh, they did this one as well...

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:17

The Mighty Lil Son Jackson --- 1951

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 11:24 by Rockman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:48

Unfortunately this song has been done to death so whenever I hear some honky assed band doing it I groan. For me it displays a horrible lack of imagination.

It's become a byword for the blues...as much as 'I woke up this mornin'' or 'my baby done me wrong'.

There are hundreds of great blues songs to cover and the Stones go and cover this one. Why oh why? It's laziness basically.

Think of all those great blues tunes that you never heard before the Stones covered them - for me that would include You Gotta Move, Little Red Rooster, Stop Breakin' Down, and Prodigal Son. But the band have to cover this cliche blues. Sorry but this one gets the thumbs down from me. A bar break song for me if they ever play it live.

Date: January 13, 2014 12:28

My sentiments as well, Silver Dagger. In my book belongs to the same 'oh why?' category in they cover choices as "Like A Rolling Stone" - but for totally different reasons. A lack of judgment, and a sign of of artistic lazyness, in both cases.

And as far as their cover of "Rock Me Baby" goes, it sounds exactly so unispired and boring as the song as a choice is (or that's what I recall of that).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 12:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 13, 2014 12:41

a blues song without soul.......

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 13, 2014 13:11

Doxa
My sentiments as well, Silver Dagger. In my book belongs to the same 'oh why?' category in they cover choices as "Like A Rolling Stone" - but for totally different reasons. A lack of judgment, and a sign of of artistic lazyness, in both cases.

And as far as their cover of "Rock Me Baby" goes, it sounds exactly so unispired and boring as the song as a choice is (or that's what I recall of that).

- Doxa

One great quality that the Stones had in the 60s was their amazing choice of songs to cover. Unfortunately the notion of quality control has been lost down the ages.

Good point about lazy covers Doxa. These days we get the likes of 'Love Train', 'Like A Rolling Stones', 'Night Time Is The Right Time', 'Get Up, Stand Up' and 'I Can't Turn You Loose'. Pretty uninspired if you ask me.

Anyway, I don't think the Stones need to do any covers at this point in their career. Their own songs are classic enough and there are plenty that don't even get played at all.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 13, 2014 13:17

As over-played as Rock Me Baby is, it remains a blues classic, covered by so many great artists with soul and feeling. The Otis and Lil' Son Jackson versions that Rockman posted are fine examples ...

It's just too bad that the Stones 2002 cover has zero charm or passion.

Here's my favorite version.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 13:18 by drewmaster.

Date: January 13, 2014 13:29

Silver Dagger
These days we get the likes of 'Love Train', 'Like A Rolling Stones', 'Night Time Is The Right Time', 'Get Up, Stand Up' and 'I Can't Turn You Loose'. Pretty uninspired if you ask me.

Yeah, the the days to dig out "Prodigal Son" & "Love In Vain" surely are gone. I am afraid that the criterion to play covers - the issue arises: why to bother in the first place? - stems out from the same reason why the set lists are so 'hot rocks' oriented: that the audience won't be too surprised and bored with too 'obscure' choices. So the covers needs also to be familiar enough too. Then we get cliche-like choices like the ones you mentioned.

- Doxa

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 13, 2014 23:03

the best version... jimi at monterey...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home