Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: UK gigs
Posted by: The Maverick ()
Date: October 5, 2005 11:43

Be great if all the UK theatre tickets had a 90/95% allocation to genuine fans instead of the 50/50 that seems to prevail. I mean Kate Moss seems to be at every band's intimate concert, and people like her are only there for the image. Be nice if long time genuine fans were treated for once.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 5, 2005 12:17

"The Brixton Academy is the best club venue in London"

except its not a club. it holds over 4000. if that's what you call a 'club' i'm not sure where you live

Date: October 5, 2005 16:16

Brixton is a large theatre, I suppose it coluld be the south of the river venue mooted about?

Date: October 5, 2005 16:24

the new favourite venue in London seems to be the all standing Hammersmith Apollo (the old Hammersmith Odeon)

similar capacity to Brixton Academy

saw the Stooges there last month. @#$%& awesome!

Date: October 6, 2005 13:36

Hammersmith Odeon and Shepards Bush Empire are hot rumours for a London show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 6, 2005 13:45

I would love to see the Stones at Royal Albert Hall. Wouldn't that be a great venue?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 6, 2005 13:48

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to see the Stones at Royal Albert
> Hall. Wouldn't that be a great venue?
>
> Bjornulf

A wet dream!!!!!

Date: October 7, 2005 13:05

RAH not in the frame this time round, maybe after the big tours are over (end of next year?) maybe a chance for the Royal Albert Hall in the future.

Next years venues, apart from the club cigs in Manchester and Glasgow will be the usual suspects, with the possible execption of a Birmingham gig.

Date: October 7, 2005 14:01

I,m not so sure Brixton holds that many. Anyhow when i saw them there in 95 it was the best show i have ever seen no matter how many were there. Shepherds Bush felt too small for me, when i saw Ronnie there earlier this year.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 7, 2005 14:35

Right,

I've been going through this thread again with the many claims.
Maverick says first that he works in the booking industry. Then on
Aug 17 he says that he knows because a friend of his works in the booking
industry.
As for having heard ABB before it came out. He first claimed having a torrent with 20 tracks, then he claims having a promo CD with 11 tracks. Did any such promo ever exist?
He claims that the stones were not happy with two venues in Birmingham. Then on August 9 he suddenly claims that there are rumoured shows in Birmingham.
He claimed that the tour would start in the UK and end there as well. As far as
the info on IORR goes the tour starts in portugal.
He claims on July 16 that there will be 3 club gigs in London. Then on July 27 there
are only two left.
Maybe what makes it all the more weird is his outcry:
"Why would you wanty to listen to a demo copy of Bigger Bang when you
can hear the real thing next month anyway?"

So, The Maverick, I don't want to suggest that you're unkind. But it does appear that you have a problem.

Date: October 7, 2005 14:52

the actual capacity of Brixton Academy (standing stalls and seated balcony) is

that's quite a club ;o)

personally i'd hate to see the Stones at the Albert Hall. its so un-rock n roll. perfectly suited for old duffers like Clapton and his merry band of blue rinsers

Posted by: Huge! ()
Date: October 7, 2005 15:17

Sirs,

Please read my post on the other thread regarding the Stones at the under-construction new Wembley.

In short, its "no they won't be playing there". The builders have messed up, some very new parts of the stadium are being pulled down and rebuilt (something to do with large air pockets forming in the structure, screwing the sound up). The stadium will thus be over-due and the Stones gone.

Its not the end of the world tho, plenty of other venues for them.

H

Date: October 7, 2005 15:45

Brixton Stones 1995 was 3,900 people for sure. Official figure. And that is what the venue takes officially as well. It looks smaller but it is quite large for a crowd, as it is a large standing area downstairs. So you can call it a large theathe or a very small arena or whatever you like, but it is a fantastic venue for the Stones anyway.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 7, 2005 18:07

Huge! Wrote:
> Sirs,
>
> Please read my post on the other thread regarding
> the Stones at the under-construction new Wembley.
>
> In short, its "no they won't be playing there".
> The builders have messed up, some very new parts
> of the stadium are being pulled down and rebuilt
> (something to do with large air pockets forming in
> the structure, screwing the sound up). The
> stadium will thus be over-due and the Stones
> gone.
>
> Its not the end of the world tho, plenty of other
> venues for them.
>
> H

Its been confirmed that the stadium will be ready in time for the FA Cup final on May 13th 2006, and Bon jovi surely would NOT have been able to book it for June 11th 2006 had it been overdue.

So if they are able to reserve the stadium, there was no reason why the Stones could not have done the same

the only people who have messed up in this case are the Stones and their management

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-07 18:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 7, 2005 18:45

quick question for you Londoners...is the 100 club still around?

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: October 7, 2005 20:32

Ye all talk about brixton Academy as being some kinda excellent venue maybe, i ain't kiddin' when i say if the Stones were to play the barrowland Ballroom in glasgow as do many bands do, it would be awesome gig it would the gig of the tour it would be bouncin' it rocks that place i tell ye.

Date: October 7, 2005 21:00

"Brixton Stones 1995 was 3,900 people for sure. Official figure. And that is what the venue takes officially as wel"

not so BV. their official venue statistics are as follows

Full Capacity

Downstairs

Circle
1,083 seated

Date: October 7, 2005 21:16

OK. I doublechecked. You are correct. Normal venue capacity is 4,921.

But still the Stones had a total of 3,900 in 1995. I am sure. Number right from the RS official numbers. Back then they did actually give out these crowd numbers. I have the exact number somewhere but not here. I guess they kept it 1000 lower to get space for the large mixing desk and the cameras.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 7, 2005 21:18

I can´t believe this thread is still going on. There are two threads Maverick posts in when he´s here, this one and the one about the Stones wearing wigs. As for the torrent of ABB that he claimed to have (he also said it included Apt. no 9, wich is clearly not on ABB ) , I called him out, asked him to share it, but no, I got the runaround instead, figures... I would not believe one word he says. And I don´t mean this as a nasty bashing, I am just laying the facts on the table, make what you want with it, but don´t buy everything you hear..
This is my opinion.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-07 21:19 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: October 7, 2005 21:47

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> quick question for you Londoners...is the 100 club
> still around?

yes, it sure is....many of us saw Mick Taylor play there 2 years ago during the "Stones week" of London shows at Twickenham, Astoria and Wembley Arena

Date: October 7, 2005 21:54

kennydice58 Wrote:
> Ye all talk about brixton Academy as being some
> kinda excellent venue maybe, i ain't kiddin' when
> i say if the Stones were to play the barrowland
> Ballroom in glasgow as do many bands do, it would
> be awesome gig it would the gig of the tour it
> would be bouncin' it rocks that place i tell ye.

Barrowlands is IMO quite probably the best concert venue I've ever been at. Saw both Dylan and Steve Earle there last year (Earle has said its his favourite venue) and they were two of the best shows I've ever seen by anyone and two of the best crowds I've ever been among. Even Dylan was taken aback by how good they were - commenting that he'd played "like a rolling stone" about a thousand times and "nobody" had ever been able to sing it with him before. And anyone who knows how inscrutable Bob can be knows that that is quite a compliment coming from him.

I cant figure out why its so good as a venue. Theres no balcony and no seating. Just a ballroom floor. But the sound is great, theres good bar access and the crowd are rowdy but great fun. As theres no balcony, I cant see the Stones playing it as there are too many hangers-on who would have to stand with the rest of the 'plebs'!

I guarantee any of you that if the Stones were to play that place (with a 'normal' crowd and not a bunch of hangers on) it would be the best Stones show almost all of us will ever see.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 9, 2005 20:42

> quick question for you Londoners...is the 100 club still around?

Yeah, Mick Taylor played the day before or after the Stones played the Astoria. And there are some nice photos of the Stones gig there on the walls!! But that one is much much too small ;-)) (100 people ? ;-)

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 9, 2005 20:44

And YES, Royal Albert Hall would be a dream. Saw two shows of Cream in May there (i.e. Eric's living room ;-). The great DVD and live cd came out on Friday.

Date: October 12, 2005 16:01

In response to your post......

Things are changing all the time, Wembley was ear marked as an opening gig, now it is not favourite, many things change over the course of time, I am posting info as and when it comes through the company, what is being provisionally arranged this week, may not be the case next month etc...

Right,

I've been going through this thread again with the many claims.
Maverick says first that he works in the booking industry. Then on
Aug 17 he says that he knows because a friend of his works in the booking
industry.
As for having heard ABB before it came out. He first claimed having a torrent with 20 tracks, then he claims having a promo CD with 11 tracks. Did any such promo ever exist?
He claims that the stones were not happy with two venues in Birmingham. Then on August 9 he suddenly claims that there are rumoured shows in Birmingham.
He claimed that the tour would start in the UK and end there as well. As far as
the info on IORR goes the tour starts in portugal.
He claims on July 16 that there will be 3 club gigs in London. Then on July 27 there
are only two left.
Maybe what makes it all the more weird is his outcry:
"Why would you wanty to listen to a demo copy of Bigger Bang when you
can hear the real thing next month anyway?"

So, The Maverick, I don't want to suggest that you're unkind. But it does appear that you have a problem.

Date: October 12, 2005 16:10

There are too many rumours about European shows to make them announced here right now. I will update the Euro list soon, in a week or so. Lots of stuff is still not finished. Some plans are set. Poland seems fixed. Same with opening in Brussels. And Twickenham two shows August. And Birmingham NIA. And so on...

Bjornulf

Date: October 13, 2005 13:49

Lot's of rumours flying round, but we can't confirm anything, I'll keep you posted as and when I hear anything.

Date: October 14, 2005 12:39

Big shows in

Glasgow
Manchester
Birmingham
London

Small shows:
Glasgow
Manchester
London

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 14, 2005 12:55

What do you mean by small?

Date: October 14, 2005 15:13

"not stadiums"

theres no way the Stones will play a stadium AND a small show in Glasgow. They'll be lucky to come close to filling a stadium in Scotland

Date: October 14, 2005 15:23

why the hell would the band play Twickenham again if Wembley's open ?

it makes no sense

who cares if they're the first, second or tenth band to play there ? the point is they SHOULD play there regardless

Rugby's for poofs and Twickenham's a bloody pain in the arse to get to

;o)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home