Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks leave ABB
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 9, 2014 07:41

01.08.14 WARREN HAYNES AND DEREK TRUCKS TO DEPART ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND AT END OF 2014
(New York, NY) January 8, 2014 -- For 25 years and 15 years respectively, we've had the honor and pleasure of playing, living, learning, and traveling with the Allman Brothers Band, one of the truly legendary rock and roll bands. We will be forever grateful for the opportunity and the experience, and for the love, enthusiasm, and support of the incredible fans. We are both preparing to dig even deeper into our various creative and musical endeavors and, as a result, 2014 will be our final year as part of the band. We are looking forward to seeing our loyal ABB fans at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta this Friday night January 10th and in March at the Beacon Theater in New York City as we celebrate the 45th Anniversary of the band. - Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks

Re: OT: Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks leave ABB
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 9, 2014 07:53

WOW that comes as a bit of a shock. Wonder if ABB will welcome Dickey Betts back into the fold?

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 9, 2014 10:44

totally unexpected. yes, it is a shock . I wonder what is going to happen to the ABB now

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 9, 2014 11:37

First Oteil's denial that he's leaving to join Zac Brown, now this. Bummer. This lineup will have had a 14-year run, by far the longest they've ever had.

But how long can you hold on to the younger members of the band when there's been no new studio album in 11 years and only a few new originals in the live setlist in the last 10 years? Nearly all the recent new songs in their live setlist have been covers of older contemporaries (The Band, Van Morrison, Neil Young, etc.).

With most of the band heavily involved in other projects (Tedeschi-Trucks, Mule, and Warren's, Gregg's and Jaimoe's solo bands), the Allman Brothers Band has been a secondary concern for a while. They only played about 25 shows last year. So this may be the end of the line.

I can't imagine Dickey returning. I saw his guest spot with Tedeschi-Trucks in September. He was terrible, in a league with 2007 Keith Richards. He couldn't keep up with Derek on the guitar harmony part of Elizabeth Reed, even after Derek slowed tempo for him. It was pretty tough to watch.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 9, 2014 13:02

I agree with you ab, no studio album, no massive tours, the abb is not an "ambitious" band anymore . but at the same time this can be a strong point to stay into the band. I mean, 25 concerts per year is not a big involvement and big effort, and also,the abb gives you prestige and consideration worldwide.
I will enjoy the mule and tedeschi trucks as much as I can in the future , warren and derek are 2 of the greatest players in the world.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 9, 2014 13:28

Surprising since Gregg has been talking so much about the future of the band. Hopefully they will tour this year apart from the Beacon shows.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 9, 2014 15:21

On a related note, going to see Gregg with his band next Tuesday in Macon. Saw ABB for the 3rd time in 2010 - excellent musicians all.

Maybe I could play rhythm for the band - maximum of 4 chords per song please. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 9, 2014 16:24

Wow! I'm shocked just as much when Betts was thrown out.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: January 9, 2014 16:25

I saw Gov't Mule 4 times in '12 and once last year. I have loved the play of WH and DT in the ABB for years. The best duo in a band anywhere. They are going to have a hard time finding that quality of players. Thanks for the all the great years, guys!

Date: January 9, 2014 16:28

From Trucks and Haynes

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 9, 2014 18:09

If I were to guess the ABB don't work ENOUGH to satisfy Warren and Derek. Ten days at the Beacon and a handful of Summer shows isn't enough to be on call for in lieu of other opportunities. You can't just replace Warren with another guitarist because he's been the one running the show for the last 20 years much like Chuck did after Duane died and does now for you-know-who. Warren's the only one that's written much of anything or brought new songs to the band.

I hope they do an amphitheater run this Summer like they used to do.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 9, 2014 18:17

ab
First Oteil's denial that he's leaving to join Zac Brown, now this. Bummer. This lineup will have had a 14-year run, by far the longest they've ever had.

But how long can you hold on to the younger members of the band when there's been no new studio album in 11 years and only a few new originals in the live setlist in the last 10 years? Nearly all the recent new songs in their live setlist have been covers of older contemporaries (The Band, Van Morrison, Neil Young, etc.).

With most of the band heavily involved in other projects (Tedeschi-Trucks, Mule, and Warren's, Gregg's and Jaimoe's solo bands), the Allman Brothers Band has been a secondary concern for a while. They only played about 25 shows last year. So this may be the end of the line.

I can't imagine Dickey returning. I saw his guest spot with Tedeschi-Trucks in September. He was terrible, in a league with 2007 Keith Richards. He couldn't keep up with Derek on the guitar harmony part of Elizabeth Reed, even after Derek slowed tempo for him. It was pretty tough to watch.

I was joking about the Dickey Betts return. That would never happen for many reasons.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: January 9, 2014 19:37

Yes sad news. Seems this would be the end of the Allmans. How can you now at this late stage replace BOTH guitar players? Like others have said, they are barely existing anyway these days. Hard to make a Stones comparison but kinda like Ronnie and say Chuck quiting or say Ronnie and Darryl. Too late to start over.

Also, hard to keep reading ABB without seeing A Bigger Bang

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 9, 2014 21:03

The timing of this announcement coincides with tomorrow's general public Beacon on sale. I'm curious as to how they decided to both do a joint resignation.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 9, 2014 22:07

Sad news...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 9, 2014 23:15

Gregg is doing another solo album with T Bone Burnett apparently.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: January 10, 2014 01:38

the Allmans are for sure my favorite American rock band,as for lead singers, Gregg allman in my opinion,has no peers, just the voice

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 10, 2014 03:16

mighty stork

I was joking about the Dickey Betts return. That would never happen for many reasons.

Yeah, after reading Allman's book, that would be truly shocking.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2014 03:31

I find it mildly amusing at how people are so broken up over the departure of those who aren't even original members let alone Allman brothers. If Gregg could replace Duane and Dicky Betts and all the rest, then I'm sure he'll find new non-original members to keep the Allman Brother Band going.

And to think, The Who get criticized for having just two original members.

Date: January 10, 2014 07:27

The Allman Brothers Band has three original members (Gregg, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe) and relies in large part on their first five albums in the live setlists. Over the years, they've operated more like a jazz band where there's core original members and a changing cast of youngsters, who have major roles for a while and then go off to do other things (first Chuck, then Warren and Woody, now Warren, Oteil and Derek).

Although the band bears Gregg's surname, Gregg was never the bandleader. Duane formed the band and led it until he died. It remains the Allman Brothers Band largely to honor Duane Allman's memory.

Then, with Gregg grieving and dazed, Dickey jumped into the void and took over, until Gregg, Butch and Jaimoe got sick of his act in 2000. Butch has also had a significant behind the scenes role.

Warren has mostly led the band since his return in 2001. He also had a significant role in his 1989-97 tenure, to the extent Dickey would give him one.

Derek exerts his influence as well. Their version of Afro Blue has Derek's fingerprints all over it.

What's been lost in the shuffle here is that just last week, Gregg said in a Rolling Stone interview that he thought that they had lost Oteil to Zac Brown, but Oteil said the next day that he was committed to the Allman Brothers Band through the end of the year. Oteil's failure to commit beyond this year would seem to indicate that he's headed out the door as well at the end of the year.

Gregg also said a few days prior to Warren's and Derek's announcement that he hoped to make another ABB studio album soon. His recent statements give the impression that Gregg doesn't know what's going on within his own band!

Although playing in the ABB has been great exposure (not to mention a great learning experience) for Warren, Derek and Oteil, they all seem to think that they've benefited enough from their time with the ABB (25, 15 and 17 years respectively) and that it's time to move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-10 07:29 by ab.

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: January 10, 2014 07:47

stonehearted
I find it mildly amusing at how people are so broken up over the departure of those who aren't even original members let alone Allman brothers. If Gregg could replace Duane and Dicky Betts and all the rest, then I'm sure he'll find new non-original members to keep the Allman Brother Band going.

And to think, The Who get criticized for having just two original members.

I don't think you've seen them live.

It's not about them being original members or not, what Derek, Warren and Oteil do every night is something out of this world, they are the creative force of the band now, what stops them from turning into another 60's-70's act doing the same thing over and over again.

The band is left without a creative force, something that didn't happen when Duane died, and thanks to Warren returning didn't happen when Dickey was kicked out of the band.

Even the brief moment when Derek and Jimmy Herring where the two guitar players they didn't suffer as much, because Derek and Jimmy had been playing together for a long time.

It wouldn't be as big of a problem if not for the fact that the three are leaving at the same time, unless they get to guitar players that have played together and have the chemistry that Derek and Warren have.

Warren had been playing with Dickey for a couple of years before the '89 reunion, and Derek started sitting in with the Allman Brothers when he was 11 or 12, so in any case it's not like they were just thrown into the stage, which is probably what will end up happening if they don't call it a day.

Date: January 10, 2014 08:51

ab
The Allman Brothers Band has three original members (Gregg, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe) and relies in large part on their first five albums in the live setlists. Over the years, they've operated more like a jazz band where there's core original members and a changing cast of youngsters, who have major roles for a while and then go off to do other things (first Chuck, then Warren and Woody, now Warren, Oteil and Derek).

Although the band bears Gregg's surname, Gregg was never the bandleader. Duane formed the band and led it until he died. It remains the Allman Brothers Band largely to honor Duane Allman's memory.

Then, with Gregg grieving and dazed, Dickey jumped into the void and took over, until Gregg, Butch and Jaimoe got sick of his act in 2000. Butch has also had a significant behind the scenes role.

Warren has mostly led the band since his return in 2001. He also had a significant role in his 1989-97 tenure, to the extent Dickey would give him one.

Derek exerts his influence as well. Their version of Afro Blue has Derek's fingerprints all over it.

What's been lost in the shuffle here is that just last week, Gregg said in a Rolling Stone interview that he thought that they had lost Oteil to Zac Brown, but Oteil said the next day that he was committed to the Allman Brothers Band through the end of the year. Oteil's failure to commit beyond this year would seem to indicate that he's headed out the door as well at the end of the year.

Gregg also said a few days prior to Warren's and Derek's announcement that he hoped to make another ABB studio album soon. His recent statements give the impression that Gregg doesn't know what's going on within his own band!

Although playing in the ABB has been great exposure (not to mention a great learning experience) for Warren, Derek and Oteil, they all seem to think that they've benefited enough from their time with the ABB (25, 15 and 17 years respectively) and that it's time to move on.

yeah you can tell dickey betts is no longer in the band. easy way to tell? they have only release 1 studio album in 14 years since he was fired. after duanes death betts wrote or co-wrote about 80% of the material the band released until he was fired in 2000.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 10, 2014 10:16

2 of the best guitarists currently playing anywhere. Big blow to the Allman brand. But they've toured very little in recent years. Can't remember the last time they came to the west coast as a band. Seen Greg a couple times solo. Nothing too exciting. But Warren and Derek are incredible musicians who make great music.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: January 10, 2014 10:24

Remember when I moved to New Orleans in '72, ABB was like a religion to them! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: albop ()
Date: January 10, 2014 13:49

Devon Allman and Mike Zito (from Royal Southern Brotherhood) are two great players. The new ABB guitarists, why not ? Gegg Allman with his son. Good idea, no ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-10 14:31 by albop.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 10, 2014 19:13

mr edward
01.08.14 WARREN HAYNES AND DEREK TRUCKS TO DEPART ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND AT END OF 2014

Does Gregg know about this?

Date: January 11, 2014 17:51

yeah you can tell dickey betts is no longer in the band. easy way to tell? they have only release 1 studio album in 14 years since he was fired. after duanes death betts wrote or co-wrote about 80% of the material the band released until he was fired in 2000.[/quote]

They've only made one studio album in 14 years since Dickey quit (he was asked to go to rehab for a drinking problem and instead quit in a huff), but they didn't make any studio albums in Dickey's last six years in the band. Dickey has made only one studio album of new songs since his departure, and it wasn't all that. The Allmans' one album without Dickey, Hittin' the Note, includes more writing from Gregg than he's done since the original lineup and is probably their best album since Brothers and Sisters. They haven't been more prolific because Warren, Gregg, and Derek all seem more interested in their other projects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 20:44 by ab.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 12, 2014 00:47

It will be interesting to see who replaces them. They have certainly been the best reason to see that band for quite some time now. peace

Date: January 12, 2014 03:42

ab
yeah you can tell dickey betts is no longer in the band. easy way to tell? they have only release 1 studio album in 14 years since he was fired. after duanes death betts wrote or co-wrote about 80% of the material the band released until he was fired in 2000.

They've only made one studio album in 14 years since Dickey quit (he was asked to go to rehab for a drinking problem and instead quit in a huff), but they didn't make any studio albums in Dickey's last six years in the band. Dickey has made only one studio album of new songs since his departure, and it wasn't all that. The Allmans' one album without Dickey, Hittin' the Note, includes more writing from Gregg than he's done since the original lineup and is probably their best album since Brothers and Sisters. They haven't been more prolific because Warren, Gregg, and Derek all seem more interested in their other projects.[/quote]

Nore Hot Rocks

I've been a big fan of ABB for about 40 years, I can't tell you how many times Ive seen them. Hittin The Note I think is one of the best. The best lineup to me is when Haynes and Betts were together. They were like a machine on stage. Unbelievable. The ABB have had many highs in their career. Whoever takes their place will be another peak. best band ever. IMO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 03:48 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: January 12, 2014 07:20

ab

They've only made one studio album in 14 years since Dickey quit (he was asked to go to rehab for a drinking problem and instead quit in a huff), but they didn't make any studio albums in Dickey's last six years in the band. Dickey has made only one studio album of new songs since his departure, and it wasn't all that. The Allmans' one album without Dickey, Hittin' the Note, includes more writing from Gregg than he's done since the original lineup and is probably their best album since Brothers and Sisters. They haven't been more prolific because Warren, Gregg, and Derek all seem more interested in their other projects.[/quote]

left in a huff? he was suspended by the band via fax correct? the band actually had enough material when betts left to make an album but 4 of the songs were written by betts so they had to get some more material. yes betts only has 1 studio album since he left but he went into semi retirement like 3 years ago and actually played enough new material live to have another album. hittn the note was great but i don't think gregg had as big of a hand in the writing as the credits suggest. i think he was able to get his name on some stuff he barely did anything for. 6 of the 11 tracks don't have gregg as a co-writer and 1 more track gregg changed some lyrics to a song already written by gov't mule.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home