Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Rock And A Hard Place
Posted by: René ()
Date: January 6, 2014 10:16

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Rock And A Hard Place
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Air Studios, Montserrat, West Indies, March 29 - May 5, 1989 and
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 15 - June 29, 1989

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Chuck Leavell & Matt Clifford - keyboards
Kick Horns - brass
Bernard Fowler, Lisa Fisher & Sara Dash - backing vocals

The fields of Eden are full of trash
And if we beg and we borrow and steal, we'll never get it back
People are hungry, they crowd around
And the city gets bigger as the country comes begging to town
We're stuck between a rock and a hard place, between a rock and a hard place

This talk of freedom and human rights
Means bullying and private wars and chucking all the dust into our eyes
And peasant people, poorer than dirt
Who are caught in the crossfire with nothing to lose but their shirts, yeah
We're stuck between a rock and a hard place, between a rock and a hard place
You'd better stop, yeah, you’d better stop
Put on a kind face, between a rock and a hard place

We're in the same boat on the same sea
And we're sailing south on the same breeze
Buiding dream churches with silver spires
And our rogue children are playing loaded dice

Between a rock and a hard place
You'd better stop, yeah, you’d better stop, and get it over there
Give me truth now, don't want no slam
I'd be hung drawn and quartered for a sheep just as well as a lamb
We’re stuck between a rock and a hard place, a rock and a hard place
You'd better stop, put on a kind face, oh yeah, can't you see what you've done to me

Between a rock and a hard place, that’s what I said
Between a rock and a hard place, yeah, you'd better stop
Yeah, you'd better stop put on a kind face
Between a rock and a hard place, between a rock and a hard place…

Produced by Chris Kimsey & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Steel Wheels” LP
(CBS 465752-1) UK, August 28, 1989

Re: Track Talk: Rock And A Hard Place
Date: January 6, 2014 10:56

The most disappointing thing with this song (apart from the sound and the production) is that the "guitar" on the bridge is Matt Clifford's keyboard smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:25

eye rolling smiley Is this Rock? Maybe....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:32

Awful song. It represents everything bad about the Stones entering the new Vegas/stadium era and is about as subtle as being tapped on the head with a hammer. There is nothing vaguely Stonesy about it - it's just them going for a big rock sound. The less heard the better.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:51

...on the other hand it's the song (working title "Steel Wheels") that got them back into motion and on their way to still playing today so it can't be all bad. I've always liked the fact that Mick plays a mean rythm on that one too (although he's always been hard to make it out on recordings). Oh...and it can claim to be the A-Side to "Cook Cook Blues", hehe ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hansel1976 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:59

Great song as is the SW album!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:00

I was in the local Credit Union cashing a check one afternoon during the time when this song was first getting played on the radio. They had the local "classic rock" station on, and this song was playing. I commented to the hot young female teller with the 3-hour-glass figure (one of my favorite tellers) that I was surprised they were playing rock radio in the bank, then I commented on the song, mentioning that I was a Stones fan. "Good song," she said as she completed my transaction. To have her at a Stones concert dancing along to that number would surely have been something to see.

When you think of it in that context, "Vegas" goes out the window and down the street somewhere out of sight. Good song.

Date: January 6, 2014 12:01

gotdablouse
...on the other hand it's the song (working title "Steel Wheels") that got them back into motion and on their way to still playing today so it can't be all bad. I've always liked the fact that Mick plays a mean rythm on that one too (although he's always been hard to make it out on recordings). Oh...and it can claim to be the A-Side to "Cook Cook Blues", hehe ;-)

The main rhythm guitar is Mick (Keith does the single-string licks, Ronnie the solos and a lick here and there), and it is quite audible on recordings. You're not mixing up Mick's rhythm guitar on Sad Sad Sad here?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:46

A lame, embarrassing attempt to sound relevant. Pretentious lyrics, irritating melody, and horribly sterile production. I would take Back to Zero any day over this garbage.

Drew

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:55

stonehearted
I was in the local Credit Union cashing a check one afternoon during the time when this song was first getting played on the radio. They had the local "classic rock" station on, and this song was playing. I commented to the hot young female teller with the 3-hour-glass figure (one of my favorite tellers) that I was surprised they were playing rock radio in the bank, then I commented on the song, mentioning that I was a Stones fan. "Good song," she said as she completed my transaction. To have her at a Stones concert dancing along to that number would surely have been something to see.

When you think of it in that context, "Vegas" goes out the window and down the street somewhere out of sight. Good song.

Ha! I see your point, but wouldn't the same apply regardless of what song was playing?

Drew

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2014 13:17

stonehearted

I reserve further comment until I've seen a photo of her! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 6, 2014 13:19

Not a bad song, not wild about the production.

Date: January 6, 2014 13:52

Great song.

They were in autopilot and unaware about the high voltage of this song. Nevertheless they succeded again.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 6, 2014 14:29

HEY - the DRUMS the sound FRESH and engaged.

I'll take this drum sound over ANYTHING on Voodoo Lounge.(Flat, dull and lame - yes even IGW).

Date: January 6, 2014 14:38

Deluxtone
HEY - the DRUMS the sound FRESH and engaged.

I'll take this drum sound over ANYTHING on Voodoo Lounge.(Flat, dull and lame - yes even IGW).

Something is indeed weird with the drum (especially with the snare) sound on VL.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: January 6, 2014 15:13

I know a lot hate this song but I would prefer they would play this live from time to time rather than YGMR.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2014 15:18

Silver Dagger
Awful song. It represents everything bad about the Stones entering the new Vegas/stadium era and is about as subtle as being tapped on the head with a hammer. There is nothing vaguely Stonesy about it - it's just them going for a big rock sound. The less heard the better.

Perfectly said..terrible song

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 6, 2014 15:23

Wins the award for best misappropriation of the Soul Survivor riff.

I was so pumped about the Steel Wheels album/tour. Such a let down.

Date: January 6, 2014 15:29

drewmaster
stonehearted

Ha! I see your point, but wouldn't the same apply regardless of what song was playing?

Drew

But it happened to be that particular song. Besides, we had no idea how dated the production would sound a quarter century later.

As for seeing a photo of her, it was more a matter of figure than of face--but trust me, she had steel wheels.winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 6, 2014 15:39

Anyone heard the so-called "rock" version that is only available on the Terrifying Promo CD Single? I'm curious if it's actually more rocking.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2014 15:40

Terrible song, terrible production. Nothing to redeem this piece of garbage.

Date: January 6, 2014 15:51

frankotero
Anyone heard the so-called "rock" version that is only available on the Terrifying Promo CD Single? I'm curious if it's actually more rocking.

There's a rehearsal version that begins at 8:55, but I don't know if this is the one you mean.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 16:27

An 80's nightmare that just doesn't get any better.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: January 6, 2014 17:14

frankotero

Edit of the Michael Brauer Mix.

-----

Rock And A Hard Place: Twelve collectible versions (full-time collectors only)

(I should know). Who wants to shine?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 18:04

It hasn't aged well, that's for sure.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 6, 2014 18:33

Carster- have you heard this version? There is another (dead-end) thread about this subject. Seems no one owns this. Maybe I'm wrong. Funny thing is I had it in my hands once because a record dealer friend owned it. If I'd of known this version was only on that CD I would of had him play it. Thought it was just an over priced promo at the time. Little did I know.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 6, 2014 18:59

Steel Wheels is a great album and I do like Rock And A Hard Place a lot!
The Live In Wembley boot in 1990 is a good one and I do have a double dance mix 2x 6.50 min on vinyl. The dub mix is pretty cool!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:13

Wow, what a consensus here of this song's merits...grinning smiley

I admit that it has been a hard place for me too. It sounded so artificial even in the time of its release, so damn sterile, like the band had finally lost the last traits of their edgy sound and danger, even substance, all the great dirty things they used to had were put through some washing machine. The familiar sounds - the guitar riffs, Jagger's voice, the drums, bass - in an odd context, like the band using clothes that don't suit to them at all. For years it has been this song, which represents STEEL WHEELS worst in its slick production.

But then again, it was the band AD 1989, trying to sound so current as they possibly could. Time to rethink its merits 25 years later? Is it really so bad?

At least they tried. Namely, seriously reinvate and update their sound. That alone is a merit in my book even though the results are not so convincing. They haven't tried that much ever since. It was partly for that reason why retro-like VOODOO LOUNGE, and tracks like "Love Is Strong" sounded sonically so good at the time - the band at least sounding like good ole Stones, even though weren't much more substance. Better to play it safe.

In that sense, "Rock & A Hard Place" belongs to those 80's experiments like "Undercover of The Night" or "One Hit" tried to see if the band is still able to adapt to the times. The world wasn't too impressed, but at least now in a hindsight, they are interesting representations of the times, and quite unique pieces in their own musical story.

If reduced into pieces, there is not much wrong in the basic elements. As a song, it is a rather typical Stones piece, some nice melodic ideas added into a traditional mid-tempo rocker (especially the bridge is catchy). Some nice guitar licks - is that melodic one-string one after the chorus Ronnie's? - Charlie is alright, Bill's bass is funky, and not so obvious at all to his style. Maybe the recicling of "Soul Survivor" riff once again is a bit too much, a kind of mark of artistic dementia. Jagger still tries to 'say' something in his lyrics, and sounds like Shakespeare compared to VOODOO LOUNGE material.

But the problem is that the pieces just don't work together, and some added productional ideas - like Clifford's - are simply irrating in today's standards. But I have lately started to appreciate more STEEL WHEELS album, and I think "Rock & A Hard Place" is actually one of the strongest cuts in it, more intersting than, for example, the leading single "Mixed Emotions".

Let's say I could have used more critical tone here, but since you guys are doing such a good work in that front, I take it easier this time... You allow me that light-heartness, don't you...winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:18

One of the few Stones tracks that I dislike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 21:31 by vudicus.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:49

Well, its obvious an 80's song and hasn't aged that well.
But in 89 I found it one of the better tracks on SW (which has never been a fave of mine).I even prefered it to Mixed Emotions - which I never found particularly good either.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home