Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Shanghai Rolling Stones show and travel info
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 23, 2014 12:16

a bigger nut
Hi 6s7s9s,

Send enquiry to ponypiao-sc@damai.cn

I got a reply that they accept payment through Western Union and pick up at their Shanghai office.
I don't know where it is in Shanghai tho.

If it means the Shanghai office for Damai, this is the address:

Shanghai Branch:
Address: 1st Floor, Shenxin Building, No.200, Ninghai East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai.
Business Hour: Monday-Sunday: 9AM-6PM.

Addresses of other Damai retail locations in China are here:

[en.damai.cn]

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: January 23, 2014 16:18

Thank you guys,

I tried to buy at damai.cn but there is only online payment button even in English page. It accepts payment from Chinese bank account or domestic card but no international credit card.
So I sent questions how to pay and delivery. Then finally I got a reply that they accept Western Union but not bank transfer. And I can collect a ticket at damai office in Shanghai.thumbs up

Maybe here.

Beast

Shanghai Branch:
Address: 1st Floor, Shenxin Building, No.200, Ninghai East Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai.

Tomorrow I will go to Western Union in Tokyo.

Probably I can see you at Mercedes Arena.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: January 24, 2014 04:52

Got an SMS from Damai. Local pick up (in Shanghai) starts from the 27th this month and delivery of tickets has already started...

Btw, Western Union sounds a bit risky. Just make sure that they (ticketing agency) confirm that your payment has arrived. They need to give you an order number for your ticket.

Probably the Western Union payment option was a last minute decision from the Chinese side as way too many people must have complained from outside China. And tickets are NOT selling at all, so they need you guys to start buying. Again, I will be told that this is a political comment, but here I go again: I'm not surprised that they only thought about this problem now. In China when they are organizing something, anything I often have the feeling that it is the first time for them to do something like that, first time trying to organize a concert, first time trying to sell tickets...

There is absolutely no buzz about the Rolling Stones in China. Nobody seems to be excited. Timing of the announcement couldn't have come at a worst time. Everybody is busy with Springfestival, which is the most important holiday in China, the reunion of families. It start in a few days time. This is also the time to spend money exclusively on the festival, so there's no way they would spend any money on concert tickets...

I talked to three Chinese friends of mine who know and like the Stones.

One is selling CD's. He said that maybe he would consider buying the 680 yuan tic, but he is not sure. He finds 680 too expensive.

A jazz musician friend of mine who loves the Stones said that there is no way he will pay this much for a ticket. His comment was: "The world's greatest rock & roll band. The world's greediest rock & roll band."

A vocalist/guitarist friend of mine who plays in a band -- and they play Stones songs as well -- didn't seem to be excited at all, and said he wouldn't pay so much.

Still... China has the biggest number of millioners, so I'm sure that in the end even those 8880 yuan tickets will sell out without problems. No wonder that there will be seats in the pit, those people wouldn't stand for 2 hours...

I always thought that it is unfair to lower ticket prices a few days ahead of the a concert. It's just not fair to those who already paid full price. Why not come up with fair prices in the first place? I'm really sorry that today music is nothing, but making big bucks.

I know that Brenda said that it costs a lot of money to put together a short tour like that, but still... Does it cost less for Roger Waters to put on The Wall?

And an interesting article about concerts in China/Shanghai from an official daily newspaper in mainland China:

[www.chinadaily.com.cn]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 08:57 by frenki09.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: January 24, 2014 07:49

a bigger nut
Thank you guys,

I tried to buy at damai.cn but there is only online payment button even in English page. It accepts payment from Chinese bank account or domestic card but no international credit card.
So I sent questions how to pay and delivery. Then finally I got a reply that they accept Western Union but not bank transfer. And I can collect a ticket at damai office in Shanghai.thumbs up

Maybe here.

Beast

Shanghai Branch:

Tomorrow I will go to Western Union in Tokyo.

Probably I can see you at Mercedes Arena.smiling bouncing smiley

So what are you going to do about picking up the ticket? Will Damai hold it for you at their office or are you having it delivered to your hotel?

Date: January 24, 2014 09:25

From SmartTicket website confused smiley

SmartTicket's online ticket ordering and delivery service is on hold until after the Chinese New Year holidays (February 7, 2013). We apologize for any inconvenience

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 09:27 by Beast.

Date: January 24, 2014 09:54

No sooner had I posted the above about suspended deliveries than a nervous message arrived from my Shanghai Saviour to say that the delivery guys never showed up with the tickets today. YIKES…..

So now he's trying to find out what's going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 09:55 by Beast.

Date: January 24, 2014 10:07

Franki09 - very interesting post and thank you too for the link to the China Daily article. Now we'll be biting our nails to see if this concert goes ahead.

It seems that whoever fixed the ticket prices may have made a big miscalculation with those high prices and the difficulty of buying tickets from outside mainland China. Maybe we will be getting the equivalent of a semi-private show (if it's not cancelled)!

But from what I understand, it was also difficult for to buy tickets from outside China last time they were in Shanghai. But the place was full - although the prices were probably lower?

Meanwhile, I am clinging to the hope that something has been lost in translation and that when they mention a "seat" in the pit, they really mean "place"…. A seat in there is the absolute last thing we want!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 10:20 by Beast.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 24, 2014 10:23

Beast
Franki09 - very interesting post and thank you too for the link to the China Daily article. Now we'll be biting out nails to see if this concert goes ahead.

It seems that whoever fixed the ticket prices may have made a big miscalculation with those high prices and the difficulty of buying tickets from outside mainland China. Maybe we will be getting the equivalent of a semi-private show (if it's not cancelled)!

But from what I understand, it was also difficult for to buy tickets from outside China last time they were in Shanghai. But the place was full - although the prices were probably lower?

Meanwhile, I am clinging to the hope that something has been lost in translation and that when they mention a "seat" in the pit, they really mean "place"…. A seat in there is the absolute last thing we want!

I'd put money on it, don't fret about it,

Meanwhile, yes indeed - that China Daily article was very interesting. You never know, if the show does duly go ahead, we might end up in the pit with no more than half a dozen other people ........... a semi-private show as you say !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 10:25 by paulywaul.

Date: January 24, 2014 10:26

Beast
No sooner had I posted the above about suspended deliveries than a nervous message arrived from my Shanghai Saviour to say that the delivery guys never showed up with the tickets today. YIKES…..

So now he's trying to find out what's going on.

YIKES indeed, er er er er .................. (nervous twitching here) !!

Date: January 24, 2014 12:54

Update - it seems there was some kind of mix-up with the dates, so fingers crossed for delivery next week.

Date: January 24, 2014 14:18

Beast
Update - it seems there was some kind of mix-up with the dates, so fingers crossed for delivery next week.

Phew !! (heavy sigh of relief) ...............

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: January 24, 2014 15:16

6s7s9s
So what are you going to do about picking up the ticket? Will Damai hold it for you at their office or are you having it delivered to your hotel?

I am going to pick up at Damai office.
Damai will accept a delivery request but holding at my first time booking cheap hotel is a potential risk. My hotel is not five-star Ritz-Carlton nor Westin.
And even when some troubles happened, then face to face is much easier to solve it.

I will arrive at Shanghai at March 10.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:42

I'm bloody surprised they've sold a single ticket, just about anything you might expect to be possible ....... is actually NOT possible. Absurd ! Do they actually want any people from outside Shanghai (let alone from outside China) to attend this show, or is it supposed to be something akin to a private Shanghai affair ? You would have thought they could be a little more together than this ..........

A Q&A off the Smartticket web site for the Stones page:

Ticketing

Q - Does "unavailable" mean that the tickets in this section have sold out?

A - Not necessarily. "Unavailable" means that we're currently sold out of our own allocation of tickets in this specific price category. However, it is possible that we will receive more tickets to sell at a future date, though this is not guaranteed for any show. With cheaper tickets, this possibility becomes even more unlikely.

Delivery

Q - Can I buy tickets now and get them delivered just before the show date in March ?

A - Unfortunately, no. Tickets have to be issued and delivered within 5 days of booking an order (the only exception would be for bookings made before or during the Chinese New Year national holiday).

Q - I live outside Shanghai. Can I still buy tickets ?

A - Unfortunately, we are only able to deliver tickets to addresses within Shanghai for this show.

Payments

Q - Can I pay online with a credit card?

A - Unfortunately, no. We've been working to implement an online payment system, but due to the nature of risk management and licensing issues with online payments made within China, it looks like this won't be available anytime in the near future.

Q - How do I pay for my tickets?

A - Upon delivery of your tickets, you may pay our delivery staff directly (either in cash, or with a local Union Pay card with pin code). We only accept payments made in Chinese yuan. If you need a company fapiao for your purchase, then please email us.

Ticketing

Q - My friends want to order tickets for the same show. Can we be seated together?

A - Yes. With our "Invite a Friend" feature, SmartTicket will coordinate with your friend(s) to secure their booking(s) and ensure that you will all be seated together. It's simple: book your own ticket, then on the final page of the purchasing process, select the "Invite a Friend" option. You will only be responsible for paying for your own ticket(s), and SmartTicket will contact your friend(s) to handle the rest. Please note, selecting this feature guarantees that the seats surrounding your own will be set aside for a maximum of 4 hours only.

Q - Can I choose a specific seat?
A - Unfortunately, no. Ticketing systems in China vary from venue to venue, and many are not advanced enough to offer specific seat selection. The event promoters and venues that we work with currently have no systems in place that allow third party ticketing agents to access their respective floors plans. However, whenever you buy a ticket from us, you will automatically receive the best available seats within the category you've selected.

In addition, they say this ............

SmartTicket's online ticket ordering and delivery service is on hold until after the Chinese New Year holidays (February 7, 2013). We apologize for any inconvenience

I'm just wondering if there's any other funky constraints they could possibly come up with that would make it any f***ing easier to buy a ticket, pay for it, and take delivery of it. For Christ's sake !

Only in the Peoples' Republic of China ................ !!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 18:44 by paulywaul.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:56

I received a second booking confirmation.
They want me to send payment via Western Union and they will hold the ticket for me in the Damai office for me to pick up.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: January 24, 2014 17:17

The Shanghai concert in 2006 just about sold out. Prices were a big issue in the news and in the press conference on the day before the concert. Ticket prices were from USD 37 – USD 370. Very cheap for today’s standards, but unaffordable for most Chinese at that time. So the majority in the audience were foreigners living in China. The thing is also, the Stones are not very well known in China. We were walking around Shanghai, our kids wearing red tongue T-shirts. People just didn’t know what that tongue logo was. Even so on the market, where they sell copied CD’s and DVD’s. The 2006 Shanghai concert was big news all around the world. But it was not such a big thing in a country with more than 1.3 billion inhabitants, who had more important things to do.

I am surprised that this year a larger venue has been chosen and the prices are comparable to those in the most expensive markets.

Date: January 24, 2014 18:39

Very strange pricing policy. They may have shot themselves in the foot. Or perhaps they were hoping to attract the billionaires - Beijing and Shanghai apparently have the fifth and sixth largest number of billionaires in the world!

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: January 24, 2014 19:50

Beast
Very strange pricing policy. They may have shot themselves in the foot. Or perhaps they were hoping to attract the billionaires - Beijing and Shanghai apparently have the fifth and sixth largest number of billionaires in the world!

[www.theguardian.com]

Yup, but then on the flip side (unless the Glimmers decide they're spectacularly under-impressed with ticket sales and pull the plug on the show altogether) ... we might be in the pit alone !! ?? winking smiley

Date: January 24, 2014 19:58

paulywaul
kahoosier
OK now I can tell you what I had to delete before when people panicked. The pisser is that like last time, tickets for Shanghai actually went on sale tow days before the OFFICIAL date. Some people have known they had a confirmed pit ticket two days ahead of the sale I posted that and was asked/begged/cajoled into removing the info before scalpers descended. The cheap seats are gone, but I have a feeling the Shanghai show will be an easy score IF you can get there. I am surprised at the prices though.

Well are you surprised you were asked to delete that post, useful as it might have been to those who wanted to buy a ticket for their own use - as opposed to buying it for the purpose of scalping it ?

Look at this for the Macau show:

[www.viagogo.co.uk]

57 pit tickets starting at over GBP£800 and going up to £7000 !!

And you're actually surprised (are you) that some of us who wanted to go to Shanghai didn't really want to face the same kind of scenario for that show ?

Get real Doc - please !!

Well, it's 4 days later, and curiously enough, Viagogo now has 58 tickets for sale (so one more than 3-4 days ago, and the prices are gradually (very gradually) on their way down) ........... where in the hell did they come up with pricing for these two Chinese shows ? They (the Chinese) really ought to stick to what they're good at, promoting rock n' roll shows and pricing tickets doesn't on the face of it appear to be one of their strengths !!

[www.viagogo.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 19:59 by paulywaul.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 24, 2014 20:18

Yes the place was full last time, yes the place was smaller, yes the tickets were cheaper, yes the process of paying off and getting hold of the ticket was angst driven, yes the whole front of stage area was full of non Chinese, absolutely everything said about this show was true the last time. I ended up getting my tickets only at the front desk of the Four Seasons after 1 AM the night before; even though I had been one of the first to buy , as noted earlier, before they were officially on sale. And then only after a couple of phone calls to the cell phone of the promoter himself who in the end was very hands on at the last minute. He was even at the venue scurrying around yelling about missing merchandising stalls.I am glad I went.

I am also glad I that this time can catch a number of Aussie and the NZ show without having to deal with all of that. But then , in deference to a friend , I have to suffer, as he sees it, through the shit of seeing the Stones in an absolutely culturally barren wasteland where as he is already enjoying the finer points of the high blend of modern and ancient Chinese Culture with the Shanghai Show. He will also visit Macau, to enjoy the culture of the Asian Gambling Mecca that lacks the phony glitter and glass of the shows and the kitsch of Vegas, another cultural pit hole as he sees it. Just drinking, whoring , and gambling in Maccau, none of that other plastic CRAP to delete the culture winking smiley

LOL I love the guy, he is one of my friends, but right now he makes me feel good to be an uncultured sod busting shit kicking Hoosier living in Kiwi Land smileys with beer

PS Most of my tickets for my shows have already arrived via normal post, and the rest are one ferry ride away to where I can pick them up...all the way through the Auckland show. UH we don't got no culture down here mister, I guess, but we do know how to sell ourselves some ticketssmiling smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-24 20:33 by kahoosier.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 24, 2014 22:16

frenki09
95% of the Chinese could and would not pay more than 480 yuan for tic.

Well, that still leaves about 70 million people to buy the more expensive tickets. Seriously, though, what an absolute mess. Macau was so smooth, I was hoping to do Shanghai, but I'll have to pass. Yikes. Best of luck to all those with more courage than I have. Hope you get a great show (and hope they leave the "Wild Horses" guy at home).

Date: January 24, 2014 22:49

drbryant
frenki09

Well, that still leaves about 70 million people to buy the more expensive tickets. Seriously, though, what an absolute mess. Macau was so smooth, I was hoping to do Shanghai, but I'll have to pass. Yikes. Best of luck to all those with more courage than I have. Hope you get a great show (and hope they leave the "Wild Horses" guy at home).

Only thanks to my travelling companion, who has a Shanghai contact, am I (are we) attending this show. Otherwise, it would have proven too difficult to buy tickets, as a number of people on here are currently discovering. I think we would have given up and also passed on it, with regret I'd have to say. But hey, we're there ............ so now all we need to do is bide our time and grab a couple of those Macau pit tickets that sit there day after day on viagogo.com and ticketbis.com and asiaxpat.com - but only when prices drop. Which they will ... sooner or later.

The most remarkable aspect of this forthcoming trip for me personally is the fact that after years and years of accumulating BA Miles and never being able to use the sodding things, the Stones playing in China finally fell in a period when there actually was flight availability - much to my complete astonishment. So what with London-Shanghai-Hong Kong-Shanghai-London costing just a few hundred £s in taxes, and our accommodation all being in the £50-£70 per night range, it's the Stones tickets themselves that stand to be the two single most expensive items out of the entire trip.

Anyway, I'm hoping that seeing the Stones in China will just be a significantly different cultural experience in a number of respects - as opposed to seeing them in Europe or the States, and that it'll provide some great memories in years to come. Can't wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 01:13 by paulywaul.

Date: January 24, 2014 22:55

paulywaul
drbryant
frenki09

Only thanks to my travelling companion, who has a Shanghai contact, am I (are we) attending this show. Otherwise, it would have proven too difficult to buy tickets, as a number of people on here are currently discovering. I think we would have given up and also passed on it, with regret I'd have to say. But hey, we're there ............ so now all we need to do is bide our time and grab a couple of those Macau pit tickets that sit there day after day on viagogo.com and ticketbis.com and asiaxpat.com - but only when prices drop. Which they will ... sooner or later.

The most remarkable aspect of this forthcoming trip for me personally is the fact that after years and years of accumulating BA Miles and never being able to use the sodding things, the Stones in playing in China finally fell in a period when there actually was flight availability - much to my complete astonishment. So what with London-Shanghai-Hong Kong-Shanghai-London costing just a few hundred £s in taxes, and our accommodation all being in the £50-£70 per night range, it's the Stones tickets themselves that stand to be the two single most expensive items out of the entire trip.

Anyway, I'm hoping that seeing the Stones in China will just be a significantly different cultural experience in a number of respects - as opposed to seeing them in Europe or the States, and that it'll provide some great memories in years to come. Can't wait.

So true. Using miles and hotel points...the concert tickets are BY FAR, the most expensive element of the trip. I did the same for London in 2012 and the concert ticket was probably close to 5x more than I spent for taxes and meals for the trip. Alcohol excluded, BTW.

Posted by: glshanghai ()
Date: January 25, 2014 09:04

I ordered my VIP1 tickets through SmartShanghai and they were delivered to my home this morning. It looks like that the tongue pit is indeed seated, since the tickets show rows and seat numbers. Very funny smiling smiley Well, also the Mercedes Benz Areana will experience the fact that in a Stones show NOBODY is sitting - like it was already in the Grand Stage in 2006. Also had front section tickets and when the boys came out, everybody got out and stood at the fence in front of the stage.
the arena security tried to stop that for abt 30 sec and then gave up after the Stones security guys on the other side of the fence told them to leave and let the fans go .. that's how it will be on March 12 also.
On with the show - let it rock !

Guenter, Shanghai a.k.a. shanghai stone

Date: January 25, 2014 10:13

glshanghai
I ordered my VIP1 tickets through SmartShanghai and they were delivered to my home this morning. It looks like that the tongue pit is indeed seated, since the tickets show rows and seat numbers. Very funny smiling smiley Well, also the Mercedes Benz Areana will experience the fact that in a Stones show NOBODY is sitting - like it was already in the Grand Stage in 2006. Also had front section tickets and when the boys came out, everybody got out and stood at the fence in front of the stage.
the arena security tried to stop that for abt 30 sec and then gave up after the Stones security guys on the other side of the fence told them to leave and let the fans go .. that's how it will be on March 12 also.
On with the show - let it rock !

Thanks for that. Well, if this turns out to be the case, then I can categorically state that this will have been THE single most expensive SEAT I will ever have bought at face value for a Rolling Stones concert. But as you point out, just as happened in 2006, I suspect that no sooner the boys hit the stage, there won't be a single person occupying their seats ......... I certainly won't be occupying mine !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 10:30 by paulywaul.

Date: January 25, 2014 11:39

OMG - a seat??!! confused smiley

Might have to trash mine on the spot...

glshanghai - any indication how many rows there might be? What row do you have?

No way of telling either how many seats to a row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 12:03 by Beast.

Date: January 25, 2014 11:53

Beast

Might have to trash mine on the spot ...

gishanghai - any indication how many rows there might be? What row do you have?

No no no, think "out of the box" here. Carefully dismantle it, put it in your suitcase, take it home, then sell it for no less than USD$10m to a certain well known collector of Rolling Stones memorabilia who frequents this message board periodically !!

The phone up the Glimmers and say "what would you boys say to playing a private show in my garden" ? You know they'd be unable to resist ! Especially for the USD$9.95m you'd be offering them .......

Date: January 25, 2014 13:09

paulywaul
Beast

No no no, think "out of the box" here. Carefully dismantle it, put it in your suitcase, take it home, then sell it for no less than USD$10m to a certain well known collector of Rolling Stones memorabilia who frequents this message board periodically !!

The phone up the Glimmers and say "what would you boys say to playing a private show in my garden" ? You know they'd be unable to resist ! Especially for the USD$9.95m you'd be offering them .......

Be careful trashing that chair. Remember the stupid guy from the US who got caned for writing graffiti in Singapore? I think in Asia the view of what punishment "fits the crime" is a little different from ours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 13:12 by drbryant.

Date: January 25, 2014 13:29

paulywaul
drbryant
frenki09

The most remarkable aspect of this forthcoming trip for me personally is the fact that after years and years of accumulating BA Miles and never being able to use the sodding things, the Stones playing in China finally fell in a period when there actually was flight availability - much to my complete astonishment. So what with London-Shanghai-Hong Kong-Shanghai-London costing just a few hundred £s in taxes, and our accommodation all being in the £50-£70 per night range, it's the Stones tickets themselves that stand to be the two single most expensive items out of the entire trip.

With Macau, there was no tongue pit package, but they had a VIP package with seats right behind the pit that was very expensive. I can't imagine they'll sell all those so they may show up at regular prices right before the show, unless the Venetian is using them for comps.

Date: January 25, 2014 15:22

drbryant
paulywaul
Beast

Be careful trashing that chair. Remember the stupid guy from the US who got caned for writing graffiti in Singapore? I think in Asia the view of what punishment "fits the crime" is a little different from ours.

Hmm .... very good point. OK then, no chair trashing (or even stealing and putting in suitcase), rather more a case of "occupy throughout entire show and sit there demurely" without so much as blinking and only clap when prompted to do so by the local Chinese government representative in the chair next to me !! winking smiley

Boy ........ what a great and thrilling gig this is gonna be, if I hear any more in the way of constraints and/or restrictions I'm going to go out for a drive and throw myself off a cliff !

Date: January 25, 2014 15:47

Well, China has the death penalty for theft, but only for repeat offenders or embezzlement from state owned enterprises. If it's your first offense, then probably just a few years in prison.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home