Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What's Jaggers daily routine secret?
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: January 4, 2014 08:52

bv
Not a big secret really, it is all over these days:

- Quit smoking
- Eat and drink healthy
- Quit alcohol
- Run 10 km every day
- Do basic workout every week

This works at any age, 20-80.
If you are 80+ you can pretty much do what you like.
Ditto before age 20.

Nat'l TV show here last year said he does Yoga, Meditation daily to get centered. winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2014 08:53

....more water .....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 4, 2014 08:59

triceratops
latebloomer
Good for you triceratops, that's a lot of sit-ups! I do abs/core work at least 3 times a week, but I like the classes I take where the instructors mix it up. Push ups and core work are the hardest part, have to pant my way through those two minute planks and I'm just a wimp when it comes to upper body strength. Since I don't eat meat, I do take an extra B vitamin supplement. My goal is to just continue to get stronger so that I can move like Jagger when I'm his age. grinning smiley

Core work is good! Stomach crunch is different than a situp. Youtube videos can clarify this. I know that if I run into Mick Jagger he is going to challange me on stomach crunches so I need to be ready for him (joking)

water aerobics, folks! great on abs & everything else while placing less stress on the body! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 4, 2014 20:27

owlbynite
bv

- Quit smoking
- Eat and drink healthy
- Quit alcohol
- Run 10 km every day

Ditto before age 20.

Nat'l TV show here last year said he does Yoga, Meditation daily to get centered. winking smiley

Alcohol is good for you in moderation, no? Cliff Richard puts part of his good health down to drinking two glasses of red a day.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: January 7, 2014 03:58

According to my diet guru JJ Virgin, the odd glass of red wine is actually good for you (provided that you can stick to one glass) however if you drink that glass too early in the day, chances are you're going to be less motivated to exercise and more motivated to go for a nap.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 7, 2014 06:04

Doesn't Mick have some crazy wine cellar that is worth millions?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 7, 2014 07:35

Big Al
owlbynite
bv

- Quit smoking
- Eat and drink healthy
- Quit alcohol
- Run 10 km every day

Ditto before age 20.

Alcohol is good for you in moderation, no? Cliff Richard puts part of his good health down to drinking two glasses of red a day.

A friend of a friend (I know that raises a lot of red flags but...) worked in a hotel in LA where Jagger was staying, and Mick ordered 5 shots of tequila for himself. He actually ordered 5 bottles, but the bellhop corrected him.
"Are you sure you don't mean 5 shots, Mr.Jagger?" "Ah, yes." THis was about 2010.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 7, 2014 08:05

There'll always be a load of bollocks spewed about Jagger's 'routines' etc. I doubt he does anything particularly out of the ordinary. He's a fit guy whose blessed genetically. He may be off the ciggies, but I suspect, and hope - I don't like, nor respect teetotalers - that he enjoys a wine or four!

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: January 7, 2014 11:10

A friend of mine was a waiter in a fancy hotel in Germany. He served Jagger and parts of his entourage their lunch for 2 days while being on the ABB tour. Jagger ate a big bowl of mixed salad (no tomatoes and carrots!) with french dressing and chicken on both days and he drank a bottle of medium water. Dunno what he had for breakfast or dinner. Friend said Jagger looked almost unhealthy thin. His hair is real and he was very friendly. Very generous tips for the waiters, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 11:10 by Glammy.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 7, 2014 15:56

That salad sounds good Glammy, but keep the carrots and tomatoes and forget the french dressing..yuck.

I think Big Al is right, Jagger's physique can mostly be put down to genetics. He'd probably be thin without all the exercise, just not as fit. All that exercise must speed up his naturally fast metabolism so I imagine there are times when it's hard for him to keep weight on.

Drinking lots of water is key, too. I was always a tyrant about that with my kids when they were little, and now that's mostly all they drink. Most Americans are so hooked on soda and it's really bad for you. The occasional drink is fine. But four glasses would put me out. I'll leave that to someone bigger, Al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 16:05 by latebloomer.

Date: January 7, 2014 16:31

Yes, Mick's an so called ectomorph. He's thin by nature. Those people have a hard time to gain weight and they lose weight in no time. I wish I'd be one, too.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 7, 2014 16:38

Glammy
Yes, Mick's an so called ectomorph. He's thin by nature. Those people have a hard time to gain weight and they lose weight in no time. I wish I'd be one, too.

No need to be thin as a pencil as long as you walk around i.e. do some basic working with your body. It is the sofa that is killing you, not the burger...

Bjornulf

Date: January 7, 2014 17:06

bv
Glammy

No need to be thin as a pencil as long as you walk around i.e. do some basic working with your body. It is the sofa that is killing you, not the burger...

I'm pretty slender so far. Especially for my age (43). Most people at my age have a gut. No, I just like the physic of these ectomorphs. They seem to have longer muscles or something. Their whole build is a bit different from the Average Joe and I like that look. And the fact that they can eat more or less what and as much as they want without getting fat.

Date: January 7, 2014 17:28

fds

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 00:14 by alieb.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 7, 2014 18:47

I actually was in the bar/restaurant of the Westin Hotel in Montreal in 1998 and noticed Mick and a male friend having lunch in the corner...unnoticed, ( at first)..and I observed what he was eating....a big bowl of pasta, baggettes, a big bottle of Evian water,& salad. The friend looked like Jimmy Connors, the tennis player but it wasn't....does anyone knbow who that might have been?
Anyway, he ate well, no dessert. I do think he is naturally thin but the exercise keeps him in such slim shape, toned and tight. He WORKS at his physique, don't think for a minute that it's just how he is!

Date: January 7, 2014 20:57

mickschix
I actually was in the bar/restaurant of the Westin Hotel in Montreal in 1998 and noticed Mick and a male friend having lunch in the corner...unnoticed, ( at first)..and I observed what he was eating....a big bowl of pasta, baggettes, a big bottle of Evian water,& salad. The friend looked like Jimmy Connors, the tennis player but it wasn't....does anyone knbow who that might have been?
Anyway, he ate well, no dessert. I do think he is naturally thin but the exercise keeps him in such slim shape, toned and tight. He WORKS at his physique, don't think for a minute that it's just how he is!

In an interview he did with Fiona Russell Powell (for which I think there is a thread on here) he said something like "I torture myself to stay in shape"...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 7, 2014 21:01

Big Al
There'll always be a load of bollocks spewed about Jagger's 'routines' etc. I doubt he does anything particularly out of the ordinary. He's a fit guy whose blessed genetically. He may be off the ciggies, but I suspect, and hope - I don't like, nor respect teetotalers - that he enjoys a wine or four!

He was never really into the ciggies. Any photos I have seen he looks like he is a dilettante. All those photos were from he was under 27 or 30 just guessing....he is doing it only because the other Stones were. Richards, Ronnie, Bill Wyman were (are except Bill?) hard core smokers. Jagger never was. Charlie used to smoke but last comment about this was Keith saying how Charlie and Mick told him to smoke outside, not in the rehearsal rooms in LA in 2013.

Kind of interesting how all Stones and Beatles smoked. All guys did back then. Not all literally of course.... same as all guys smoked during WW2 especially all pilots. It steadied their nerves...so they said.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 7, 2014 21:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:16 by camper88.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 7, 2014 22:27

Mick's work-out routine was posted over on Rocks Off a few years back. Pretty strenuous - no it doesn't just happen. Lots of hard work.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 7, 2014 23:04

Whether it comes to his professional life or his health regime Mick has always workedeye popping smiley his ass off

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 8, 2014 01:18

bv

That has to make a BV top ten quote.

BV, you're a climber, what is your daily training regiment when planning a major climb?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 8, 2014 19:41

Exactly, Desertblues. He takes his " job" very seriously and that's why it pisses me off when he's not given credit for holding the band together. He is the driving force behind their longevity and I, for one, am grateful to him...I think of all of the joy that he's brought into my life. I cringe to think of a life without Stones Tours to look forward to.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 9, 2014 23:39

The Sicilian
BV, you're a climber, what is your daily training regiment when planning a major climb?

First a basic fitness year-around is needed. Then two - three months before the expedition I start doing the very same performance I am expected to do eventually. Climbing Kilimanjaro is 5-6 hours uphill walking every day for 6-10 days, drinking 5 liters water every day, so that is what I practice for some weeks. Summit day is usually a 14-18 hours walk up+down but that is not something you practice. It is a pain. One month before a major expedition I quit all alcohol. But when you are down there is nothing like a cold Kilimanjaro beer...

I am no expert, but I do know by experience that any performance is success if you do on beforehand what you are supposed to do eventually. Biking a major "Birken" race 94 km means you need to bike 100+ km every week. To ski a marathon distance of 42 km you need to ski 30-50 km ever week and so on.

This is why I assume Mick is running an hour or so now, three times per week, or at least that would be the perfect preparation for a tour.

Bjornulf

Date: January 10, 2014 10:46

As an old saying goes,'no pain, no gain.' grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 10, 2014 11:55

triceratops
same as all guys smoked during WW2 especially all pilots. It steadied their nerves...so they said.

With all the benzedrine they took that was necessary! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 10, 2014 12:26

bv
Heineken (replacing Jack Daniels these days)

I must say I'm a bit disappointed by his choice of lager. winking smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 11, 2014 07:08

bv
The Sicilian

First a basic fitness year-around is needed. Then two - three months before the expedition I start doing the very same performance I am expected to do eventually. Climbing Kilimanjaro is 5-6 hours uphill walking every day for 6-10 days, drinking 5 liters water every day, so that is what I practice for some weeks. Summit day is usually a 14-18 hours walk up+down but that is not something you practice. It is a pain. One month before a major expedition I quit all alcohol. But when you are down there is nothing like a cold Kilimanjaro beer...

I am no expert, but I do know by experience that any performance is success if you do on beforehand what you are supposed to do eventually. Biking a major "Birken" race 94 km means you need to bike 100+ km every week. To ski a marathon distance of 42 km you need to ski 30-50 km ever week and so on.

This is why I assume Mick is running an hour or so now, three times per week, or at least that would be the perfect preparation for a tour.

Posted by: MP ()
Date: January 12, 2014 05:11

well, now, that's a secret, darlings.....what would be the fun in knowing the truth behind the man....

I thought you were dinner, but you were the shark....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 15, 2014 23:13

Thought some of you would find this interesting, particularly our ultra-runner in chief, BV. Link to the full article at the end.

What Ultra-Marathons Do to Our Bodies

Ultra-runners are different from you and me. They run more. But a new study of these racers, who compete in events longer than marathons, joins other recent science in finding that they also tend to be older and have some different health concerns than most of us might expect, suggesting that some beliefs about how much activity the human body can manage, especially in middle age, may be too narrow.

In recent years, the health effects of increasing inactivity have received plenty of scientific and media scrutiny. But the potential health effects of relatively gargantuan levels of physical activity have received less attention, and much of the science that does exist focuses on the potential dangers of over-exercise for the heart. Few studies have examined the more general health implications — the benefits as well as the risks — of training for and running more miles in a day than many of us complete in a month.

Hoping to better understand what happens to an ultra-endurance athlete’s body, researchers at Stanford University and the University of California, Davis recently contacted more than 1,200 experienced ultra-marathon runners and asked them probing and almost impolite questions about the past and current states of their bones, hearts, blood pressures, prostates, breasts, skin, lungs, moods, bowels, eyes, waistlines, livers and many other body parts and systems. They also asked about their race histories, times, training regimens and any recent injuries and illnesses.

Then they compared the ultra-runners’ aggregate answers with comparable health statistics for average, more sedentary adults, while also comparing the training and injury-related data with similar information about recreational runners, like myself, who are not running 50- or 100-mile races on the weekend.

The results, which were published last week in PLoS One, were telling. The ultra-runners had a low, although not nonexistent, incidence of high blood pressure and irregular heartbeats, with about 7.5 percent of the runners reporting one of those problems. But less than 1 percent had been diagnosed with heart disease or had a past stroke, and few had experienced cancer, with basal cell skin carcinoma being the most common malignancy, occurring in 1.6 percent of the runners. Those percentages are generally lower than among age-matched American adults, especially considering that a majority of the ultra-runners were aged 40 or older.

On a less salutary note, the runners did report a high incidence of breathing problems, with almost a third of the group telling researchers that they experienced either allergies or asthma, often after running. That finding, while worrying, makes sense, the researchers note, since ultra-long-distance runners spend many hours outside, striding along trails strewn with pollen-slinging trees and flowers, priming their respiratory systems for allergies and asthma.

They also tend to get hurt, as runners at all mileage levels do. More than half said that they had experienced a running-related injury in the past year that had been severe enough to keep them from training for at least a few days, about the same percentage as often is reported by recreational runners. Many of the injuries were knee problems or stress fractures, along with a few, unexpected concussions. (I once slipped during a trail run and thwacked my head into a tree trunk, so it can happen.)

Interestingly, injuries were most common among younger, inexperienced ultra-runners, and in particular among men not yet aged 40 who trained fast and intensely. Ultra-runners past age 40 whose training pace was more plodding were far less likely to be sidelined with injuries.

That finding jibes with other, rather beguiling recent data about ultra-runners, which finds that, on average, their per-mile race and training paces are much slower than for marathon runners, perhaps explaining why the fastest-growing age groups in most ultra-marathon fields are those for racers aged between 45 and 65, who, as many of us would admit, are no longer as fast as we once were, but can, it seems, just keep going.

And there can be substantial, accruing benefits to covering those miles, says Dr. Eswar Krishnan, an assistant professor at Stanford and co-author of the new study. Over all, the ultra-runners in the study were absent from work less often than other American adults because of illness or injury, he said, and rarely felt compelled to see a physician, with almost half visiting a doctor only once in the past year, usually because of a running injury.

[well.blogs.nytimes.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 16, 2014 01:33

I think I remember reading comments by Mick's (and probably the Stones) personal trainer, Torje Eike...actually that's what I read : [www.dailymail.co.uk] - Daily Mail, so...but here goes

"In the build-up to a tour, Sir Mick runs eight miles a day, swims, kickboxes and cycles, as well as maintaining a strict strength and conditioning programme in the gym. For balance, he takes ballet lessons and studies yoga and pilates. While on tour, he warms up on a treadmill, but cuts back on the intensity of his training because of the energy he expends on stage. In a typical show (the Stones’ stages are 100ft wide by 50ft deep) he covers 12 miles."

So it seems he doesn't run 8 miles each day, only for a tour build up...but to run that much he has to enjoy it so probably runs regularly.

Interesting reference to ectomorphs in this thread, I must be one because after not exercising for...ever really, as soon as I started (walking one hour each morning) and quitting ketchup and mayo in January 2013, I lost 30 pounds in six months and after starting to run lost another 15 so I'm now at a "Mickesque" 165 pounds for 6'3" (75kg for 190cm) and running 10Ks at nearly 15kph, a speed I would never have believed three months ago, actually I always hated running...I realized I could when I "trained" to make it to the front of T3 at HP2...seriously! Unfortunately I need to take a break as some of my tendons are not agreeing with the running, but I'll be back, hehe...

Anyway, the Stones do have an amazing build and must be working on it pretty hard. Ronnie's arms can't be naturally muscular like this. They look like Mick's arms circa VL, bulging biceps...he looks better now I think!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home