Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

St Louis 1997 A Fantastic show
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 02:49

I was watching this show and it really is a great later day show, some of you might not be into the vegas era shows but i really enjoy this,the official release is great for 1998 dvd release standards if you can get this one its a keeper highlights are Out Of Control Flip The Switch Saint Of Me And Wanna Hold You its one of the finest later day shows check it out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-31 02:52 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: St Louis 1997 A Fantastic show
Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: December 31, 2013 04:25

I was at this show and wasnt as impressed with the guests at this show as I was at the other ppv concerts. Clapton on Little Red Rooster in 89 was certainly a standout.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 05:31

I have always liked The Last Time from this show, they really cooked on it. Like it from the moment they played it on the PPV.

I always liked how the Stones embrace their back catalog, instead of looking down on it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 31, 2013 05:37

It was fabulous, always felt honored that they picked my hometown for a PPV show

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 31, 2013 16:50

DrPete
It was fabulous, always felt honored that they picked my hometown for a PPV show

Yeah, me too!

Although as someone else mentioned, wasn't overwhelmed by the guests, not a Dave Mathews fan, and never heard of Joshua Redman. But great show (although I remember thinking it wasn't loud enough...didn't know if that had to do with the sound for the PPV or not).

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:06

Great show.
Still looking for a copy of the complete broadcast as the official DVD is edited.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:18

The whole tour is fantastic! the last tour where they still sound great .... other than the current tour not to be compared!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:22

I saw a really great show in Portland on this tour. Was in an arena, not a stadium. I was side rear of stage & Mick was 20 feet away from me at the start of the show. Good story, I was in the music biz & won a trip to see Garth Brooks in Dallas for 2. I could seriously give a hoot about Garth Brooks. The owner of the company I worked for's wife was seriously into Garth. I traded the Dallas trip for 2 really good tickets for the Stones in Portland. Everybody was happy!

Date: December 31, 2013 17:23

One of the really great shows.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:28

Great show, indeed!

Back in 1997, TUMBLING DICE was a breathing, living song....

Priest

Date: December 31, 2013 17:39

It still is.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 31, 2013 18:27

Its a very good show. I thought it was quite special how The Stones fans made sure Waiting On A Friend won the webvote seeing as Josh Redman just happened to be in the wings with his sax in hand read to play on it.

Amazing coincidence how it worked out like that - especially as 'Starf*cker' was clearly miles ahead in the voting when the polls ended a few hours earlier!

Date: December 31, 2013 18:57

smiling smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 31, 2013 19:13

vudicus
Great show.
Still looking for a copy of the complete broadcast as the official DVD is edited.

Two of the missing songs:

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 1, 2014 00:18

Had seats on the floor between the main stage and B-stage for this one. A few random memories:

Remember seeing a camera zooming overhead for crowd shots, which I had not seen in previous shows on that tour. Well, the PPV is the obvious reason, now that I think about it. Duh.

I remember in the lobby/concourses of the TWA Dome (I think that's what the stadium was called then) there were girls dressed in sexy cocktail waitress outfits (mini-skirts, tights, sort of looked like Playboy Bunnies) walking around approaching everyone, selling Jägermeister shots from cute little trays. They were sort of aggressive with their sales tactics, and they sold MANY, I think for $1 each? The whole concept was an interesting touch.

The stadium (which is an indoor, roofed facility) was not sold out. I noted empty rows up high in the rear corners. It seemed full enough, though. Very close to a sellout.

Was initially excited to hear Waiting on a Friend, but remember being disappointed in this particular rendition. I have always had a soft spot for the Hampton '81 version of this song, and this version was just different, in a way I didn't appreciate at the time.

But a great, solid, fun show, as I recall...

[Edit: Agree entirely with the previous comment that the sound wasn't loud enough in the stadium. Turn up the f'in PA and crank those gee-tars, boys! But I have felt this way for so many Stones shows, so I don't think it was a "problem" specific to this show on that tour. Every show I saw on that tour was woefully underpowered in the guitar volume dept., as was every show on the Licks Tour (be it stadium, arena, or club--saw all combos), and ditto the Bigger Bang tour. But unless my ears bleed from guitar volume, I'm usually not satisfied! So I'm a nut case on this. ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-01 00:39 by rocker1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home