Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Mick Taylor in Kansas City MO
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 30, 2013 15:03

His Majesty

I only listen to it when it gets discussed to see what's what with regards to something in the convo's.

Ultimately, it's just weird listening.

I have heard more weird than that.smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 30, 2013 15:08

LuxuryStones

Old men playing with their younger selves and dead people is pretty hard to beat. grinning smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 30, 2013 15:15

His Majesty
LuxuryStones

Old men playing with their younger selves and dead people is pretty hard to beat. grinning smiley

Go and pay. cool smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 15:16

LuxuryStones
His Majesty
LuxuryStones

Go and pay. cool smiley

lol.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:13

His Majesty
I only listen to it when it gets discussed to see what's what with regards to something in the convo's.

Ultimately, it's just weird listening. smiling smiley

Weird it is...I get the creepy crawlys ever time someone new duets with Elvis...I've recently received a letter that it's almost my turn...

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:13

stonehearted
Has anyone read Ian McLagan's book? He discusses Taylor's appearance in KC at one point. It appears that Taylor was invited at the last minute, once the band heard he was in the same town. As a result, his amp wasn't mic'd, so Taylor turned it way up, and this is the source of the annoyance that others on stage had over him being there, not the extended length of his performance. It was their show, so if they wanted him to leave after a couple of numbers they would have just said so. It wasn't that he wore out his welcome, but the volume of his amp was out of whack with others onstage. Ian Stewart actually got up and walked out at one point, because MT's amp was right next to Stu's piano.

So it wouldn't matter to hear the soundboard version, because MT's guitar wouldn't have gone through if it wasn't mic'd. And this is why some posters above are having difficulty divining Taylor's parts.

According to set list sources, MT comes in at song 10 (Let me Go) and remains for the rest of the set (total of 16 songs).

The guitar that many believe to be Mick Taylor sounds clear as though it is from the soundboard. Yet another reason I don't think it is Taylor playing.

Date: December 30, 2013 17:15

Or that he was in fact plugged in eye rolling smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 17:24

DandelionPowderman
Or that he was in fact plugged in eye rolling smiley

He wasn't plugged in to the P.A. on the audience recording of this show.

Date: December 30, 2013 17:29

So why do we hear him clearly on BL, BOB, Imagination and others?

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:34

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:35

DandelionPowderman

I hear him on BL and BoB and HTW and YCAGWYW and in the very beginning of Time Is On My Side, but not (clearly) on Imagination. Can you say from which moment he's audible there Dandie?

Date: December 30, 2013 17:40

Doxa
stonehearted
Here, Doxa, try this dailymotion link. It used to be on YouTube until recently, but has since been taken down: [www.dailymotion.com]

Thanks, but unfortunately the same problem...

- Doxa

To which country must we go to be able to listen to this video??

Date: December 30, 2013 18:07

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I hear him on BL and BoB and HTW and YCAGWYW and in the very beginning of Time Is On My Side, but not (clearly) on Imagination. Can you say from which moment he's audible there Dandie?

Not now, but it's on one of the long instrumental passages.

Date: December 30, 2013 18:27

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

At the 1:06:38 mark I can clearly hear Taylor's slide and it's not coming from the board.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:41

[/quote]

Check out 1:16 mark as "You cant always get what you want" enters into the break and the 1981 sing along, Taylor is playing throughout "the break" and during Mick's attempt to get the crowd singing . . .

Date: December 31, 2013 00:46

Fuman2
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

At the 1:06:38 mark I can clearly hear Taylor's slide and it's not coming from the board.

Nothing is coming from the board on the audience recording?

Date: December 31, 2013 01:55

DandelionPowderman
Fuman2
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Nothing is coming from the board on the audience recording?

I wrote that poorly. I meant to say the audience recording of this show has MT way down in the mix as if he's playing thru a stage amp and not the P.A.

Date: December 31, 2013 02:12

No, he is audible there too on the songs I mentioned. That's why the not plugged in-myth is hard to explain...

Date: December 31, 2013 02:17

It'll be nonsense, no way is he not mic'd up. Given his off the cuff appearance perhaps his set up and levels or what ever didn't recieve much fuss or attention.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: December 31, 2013 04:36

I was hoping I could google and find an old newspaper review.
This link seems pretty accurate with most setlists;
[rocksoff.org] at least from what I can tell.
Someone on IORR has to have saved the newspaper review.
Someone please post for the rest of us.
Thanks.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 31, 2013 04:49

Another thing that Taylor mentions in that interview clip from the Stones doc is that it was initially intended that he join them onstage for a couple of numbers, but says that he was on for "five or six" instead.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 31, 2013 05:48

Fuman2
The guitar that many believe to be Mick Taylor sounds clear as though it is from the soundboard. Yet another reason I don't think it is Taylor playing.

Doesn't the solo at 1:16:33 sound both like only Taylor and dry like a soundboard?

Date: December 31, 2013 06:21

smokeydusky
Fuman2

Doesn't the solo at 1:16:33 sound both like only Taylor and dry like a soundboard?

I could be wrong on all this, not my scene as such, but...

Note the levels of the guitars and sax change throughout the concert, th sax gets boosted so much because it is so reliant on the mixer/pa for it's volume. I think it's very likley that all the guitars are loud onstage, but that Taylor has been mic'd up and is going through the soundboard mix as well. His sound is too direct sounding and fluctuating like the others. It's all as if someone is winging it more with the levels in order to incorporate the different dynamics of an additional guitarist who isn't used to playing with their set up and usual onstage levels.

There's a lot going on, so some soloing or interacting gets altered at strange times etc.

Interesting solo, he seems to be channeling a lot of his 17 year old Bluesbreaker self there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-31 06:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 31, 2013 07:32

His Majesty
Note the levels of the guitars and sax change throughout the concert, th sax gets boosted so much because it is so reliant on the mixer/pa for it's volume. I think it's very likley that all the guitars are loud onstage, but that Taylor has been mic'd up and is going through the soundboard mix as well. His sound is too direct sounding and fluctuating like the others. It's all as if someone is winging it more with the levels in order to incorporate the different dynamics of an additional guitarist who isn't used to playing with their set up and usual onstage levels.

1:13:47 Taylor plays his descending theme. His volume is low, but he is clearly playing along.
1:13:59 In the middle of one of Ronnie's lead runs, Jagger says something like, "Play some, Mick. Play some." Initially, not much can be heard from Taylor.
1:14:14 There is a sudden increase in Taylor's volume as he completes a part of the lick that he would repeat during the singalong two minutes later. The volume goes from practically nothing to very loud mid-phrase (we hear the final note of the "call" and then the full-volumed complete "response"). Seems more likely to have been the soundman waking up rather than Taylor's volume control.

Date: December 31, 2013 08:17

Indeed.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 31, 2013 11:37

Of course Taylor's amp was mic'd, there's no doubt about that. Anyone who has ever been on a big stage knows that guitar amps only carry a limited distance of about 10 meters, than the sound gets to fluttered and indirect to be distinct anymore. So on a stage you need monitors if you're further away from the amp than say 5 meters (and you need monitors to keep the stage volume to the front of stage at reasonable levels), and when you're in the crowd at say third or fourth row you will not hear any guitars coming straight from the amp.

It was stated that Taylor used one of the Stones Boogie amps, and it was noted as being a small Boogie Mk1. That I find hard to believe -these are loud, but only of you are directly in front of it; 20 centimeters to the left or right and the volume drops 50%. So Ian MacLagan's story is hard to fathom with a Boogie Mk1. Judging to the sound it is much more likely they used Wood's spare Boogie Coliseum MkIIB.

Both Richard's and Wood have a spare amp set up, mic'd and all in case an amp blows. When that happens the tech can switch amps in 10 seconds, and the mic in front is in parallel with the original mic. Wood's spare amp is right next to Ian MacLagan, and Taylor is know to play way too loud throughout his career.

So that's just it in my opinion. He plugged in to Wood's spare amp, turned it to 11 as he always does, and played way to loud, pissing everybody off.

Mathijs

Date: December 31, 2013 16:56

smokeydusky
His Majesty

1:13:47 Taylor plays his descending theme. His volume is low, but he is clearly playing along.
1:13:59 In the middle of one of Ronnie's lead runs, Jagger says something like, "Play some, Mick. Play some." Initially, not much can be heard from Taylor.
1:14:14 There is a sudden increase in Taylor's volume as he completes a part of the lick that he would repeat during the singalong two minutes later. The volume goes from practically nothing to very loud mid-phrase (we hear the final note of the "call" and then the full-volumed complete "response"). Seems more likely to have been the soundman waking up rather than Taylor's volume control.

Interesting posts. Jagger obviously wasn't pissed off.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:04

one thing thats not been talked about much is woods comment on Taylor overplaying

listening to the audience and the soundboard id say he's pretty restrained if anything really, at least alot more restrained than (Wood and) Bobby Keys in particular.

its an interesting spin on things

Date: December 31, 2013 17:07

Captainchaos
one thing thats not been talked about much is woods comment on Taylor overplaying

listening to the audience and the soundboard id say he's pretty restrained if anything really, at least alot more restrained than (Wood and) Bobby Keys in particular.

It's not our dear Bobby Keys but Ernie Watts. Listen to Jagger introducing him.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 31, 2013 17:09

kleermaker
Captainchaos

It's not our dear Bobby Keys but Ernie Watts. Listen to Jagger introducing him.

doh, blumin poop on my hands there, taxi!!!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home