Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Respectable
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2015 16:47

FILLER on the album but I get why it's on there since the lyrics are so... inventive and socially tart.

Live it's HORRIBLE.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 17:15

stanlove
crumbling_mice
Great song...but not a punk song, and I agree with His majesty, the Stones attempting to be punks was cringing and they didn't need to even try, they were out punking the punks a decade before punk appeared. Just about every punk guitarist based themselves on Keith but few could play anywhere near as good.

I guess the Punk era jolted the band into action but that is all and Some Girls, only has 2 songs which could be deemed a nod to punk tempo and lyric wise and in reality they were just rock songs and Star @#$%& was probably more punk and that was out in 73?

I love these posts with people trying to deny these were punk songs. I think some posters just love to be looked at as out of the box thinkers, I guess you are right and everyone was just fooled into thinking they were punk. This despite you admitting in your post that these 2 songs could be considered a nod to punk.

And wrong it was great when the Stones did punk. IT fit them perfectly. Actually the whole Some Girls Album fit perfectly.

Without wanting to get too 'Media Studies' about it - punk was more than just a musical genre - it was an attitude/ reaction against what had come before it, not just the generally dire social/ economic situation in the UK in the mid 70s but the bands that the punks felt had become bloated and removed from what was happening on the streets. The Clash said it all in '1977' - "No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones". Ironic of course that Mick Jones of the Clash idolised Keith but none the less - the nature of punk meant that the Stones simply weren't part of that movement - how could they be? And would they have wanted to be anyway?

And to my eyes - it was only Mick that jumped on that bandwagon so to speak. Keith just did what he always did. Perhaps it was just coincidence that he cleaned up (relatively) at the time of Some Girls so there was a new vigor in the Stones anyway.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2015 17:44

Perhaps Keith met Mick half way though. The Chuck Berrying he did on that album and tour was very, what, fast and aggressive. It had attitude. Maybe not a punk attitude technically but it certainly mirrored it. Punk music was what - a lot of noise. So Keith made understandable noise.

Mick, well, whatever. He's always behind the trend. The worst one of all he managed to wrangle in with Miss You. Hilarious that an album with so much attitude has that ball of cheese on it.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 18, 2015 18:28

Anyone think there's some link to this track?

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 18, 2015 18:41

big4
Stones raunch n roll at its finest. Hilarious video, fits the song perfectly too (albeit with a different mix and vocal track):

nice to see this video without Bill WYman airbrushed out!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 18, 2015 20:46

Such a fantastic song! When I read those interviews with Keith talking about his & Ronnie's weaving guitars, this song comes to mind, along w/ several others on the Some Girls album. What a serious kick-a$$ rocker!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:02

This is a side one of EOMS caliber rocker

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 17:17 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:14

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Easy on that pipe, kleerie!

The lyrics of Run are so uncool Dandie. For god's sake, who the hell would make KEITH run! No one. Not even Jagger!

He is talking about the police (his drug bust the year before)

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:24

A little bit punky amok on guitars, the live 78 version is the best they ever performed. The No Security version is rather lame ...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:30

The 2013 version with John Mayer ripped!!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:04

respectable is a very good song and has a great video to match.

one of the best songs on some girls.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:59

Maindefender
The 2013 version with John Mayer ripped!!

I thought the Newark 1 was great and I'm not a JM fan. Damn near put me to sleep at Pinkpop.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 11, 2016 19:46

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:32 by jambay.

Date: June 11, 2016 21:21

jambay
good point!

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: June 12, 2016 03:46

Turner68
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

The lyrics of Run are so uncool Dandie. For god's sake, who the hell would make KEITH run! No one. Not even Jagger!

Without Bill's bass it falls flat in my opinion.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 12, 2016 04:04

MidnightPeanut
Turner68
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Without Bill's bass it falls flat in my opinion.

A lot of songs fall flat without Bill's bass. Respectable is one...Also Neighbours, Imagination, Black Limousine, Let It Bleed....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-12 16:22 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: October 15, 2021 18:09

I was listening to Respectable this afternoon. The song rocks hard I think it’s fantastic. Incidentally, is Beast of burden and generally speaking most of Some Girls the best example of Keith and Ronnie’s guitars really melding together..

Date: October 15, 2021 19:29

nick1970
I was listening to Respectable this afternoon. The song rocks hard I think it’s fantastic. Incidentally, is Beast of burden and generally speaking most of Some Girls the best example of Keith and Ronnie’s guitars really melding together..

It's a great tune, agree! I think the guitars sound great, but can't say if it is their best example together.

Date: October 16, 2021 12:18

It was an incidental question I wondered if Beast of Burden was one of the best tracks showing the melding of Keith and Ronnie’s guitars?

Date: October 16, 2021 14:31

I think you mean rhetorical ... if not, again, can't say.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 17, 2021 00:12

saw them do it with John Mayer; excellent version.

[www.youtube.com]

you dint get many extended guitar solos at Stones shows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-17 00:15 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 17, 2021 20:57

nick1970
It was an incidental question I wondered if Beast of Burden was one of the best tracks showing the melding of Keith and Ronnie’s guitars?

I have read that BoB shows Keith weaving with himself, as he put all the guitars on there during a marathon weekend recording session.

Date: October 18, 2021 01:39

The original van when Ian Stewart was roadie was called beast of burden,as well ?

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: August 27, 2023 10:44

Nice cover!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: August 27, 2023 11:17

...and this my prefer version:
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-27 11:17 by HardRiffin.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home