Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Australian tour a joke
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2013 16:49

Gazza
bv
2. As a matter of facts, all the scalpers will be stuck with the expensive tickets on show day, and they will beg you on their knees to buy their extra scalped tickets at face value and below.

This is all true and is something I've been saying for ages.

However, it doesnt address the fact that

a) most would be customers dont realise this when they log in to buy tickets which are already more expensive than those for every other act on the planet. Nor should they be expected to.

b) the ticket seller, promoter and band are quite happy to allow the system to work like this to maximise their own already substantial coffers at the expense of the public.

It's morally indefensible.

Keith and Mick don't need your petty morals Gazza.

Re: Complaints about ticket sales
Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 16, 2013 17:17

I must admit that the presales have been much easier going than the actual on sale day. However I doubt that so many tickets went to third parties. Compare to the US there is not so much availibility per show. And it seems that people also pay exaggerating prices for some good tickets.
I told you that I used 3 PCs and was awake half of the night to get the tickets I wanted. I could have had all of the range, but also had to wait in line.
Anyway those who didn't score tickets and live in the town should wait on the day of the concert. As BV said they will give you the best tickets for the least price.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2013 17:42

Gazza
Unfortunately, when an act is asking $4-5 million per gig as a guarantee for a show in an arena sized venue, it ends up being in the promoter's economic best interests to be as unscrupulous as possible in order to sell tickets.

Which is a major factor in why they dont give a damn that thousands of the tickets being snapped up in the first few minutes are bought by people who are just going to try to re-sell them for profit. Allowing this to happen reduces the risk for the promoters - they get the quick return on their very considerable investment and the buck passes to some idiot who thinks he's going to get $1,000 for a pair of nosebleeds.

The band have been paid, the promoter has got their money back and made a profit and TM (or Ticketek or whoever it is) have cleaned up as usual. Whilst those parties can have their egoes satisfied at a show 'selling out' in minutes, the one group in the equation being royally shafted is the fan who isnt lucky enough to have his ticket funded as part of some corporate junket but who has to either pay through the nose to a scalper or broker or play a game of chicken with the promoter and ticket touts at the eleventh hour in the hope that he'll get something for close to the already exorbitant face value.

Meanwhile the band, promoter and ticket agencies are having a laugh at your very considerable expense.

It's only rock n roll - apparently. eye rolling smiley

This sums it up perfectly.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 16, 2013 17:45

this is what we all went thru last year in the states . if you wanna see the glimmers ya gotta give mick all of your money and gold and maybe but probably not he will buy you a house back on zuma beach

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 16, 2013 17:58

Go pay the money only if you have it. You cant take it with you. Its an even that you'll always remember.
My wife and I have to been to about 20 shows or so since we have been married. I have pics of all the shows. The cities that we have been to and people that we meet. It's nice to pull out a photo album from a show 15 years ago and talk about the show and city again! That's why I love The Stones.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2013 18:11

More Hot Rocks
Go pay the money only if you have it. You cant take it with you. Its an even that you'll always remember.
My wife and I have to been to about 20 shows or so since we have been married. I have pics of all the shows. The cities that we have been to and people that we meet. It's nice to pull out a photo album from a show 15 years ago and talk about the show and city again! That's why I love The Stones.

Few of us would dispute that - or rather, speaking for myself, I would not and cannot. But it's not the point that some of us are getting at.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2013 18:43

CaptainCorella
24FPS
God, it all sounds like when they were gearing up for the North American tour last spring. Wait till you were where those $99 'Lucky Dip' tickets put you. Ah, ha, ha, ha....

Given that the $99s were about half the cost of any otherwise available ticket, getting anywhere has to be seen as a good seat.

And if you are referring to the allocations of the USA equivalents in the (Southern) autumn, I know personally several people who paid their $85 and got into The Pit. On what planet is that not a bargain worth trying for?

Without going into it too deeply again, the idea was that you couldn't possibly end up in a worse place than the next highest priced tickets, which were $150. But they lied. They opened up really rank, obstructed sections, where a couple thousand people were stuck with little view of the concert and terrible sound. They couldn't even see the screens. These tickets were not even offered for sale before the day of the concert. Maybe you were one of the luckiest who got a good seat, but thousands got f-d.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2013 19:44

treaclefingers
Gazza
bv
2. As a matter of facts, all the scalpers will be stuck with the expensive tickets on show day, and they will beg you on their knees to buy their extra scalped tickets at face value and below.

a) most would be customers dont realise this when they log in to buy tickets which are already more expensive than those for every other act on the planet. Nor should they be expected to.

b) the ticket seller, promoter and band are quite happy to allow the system to work like this to maximise their own already substantial coffers at the expense of the public.

Lol. Brilliant.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 20:05

Gazza
Unfortunately, when an act is asking $4-5 million per gig as a guarantee for a show in an arena sized venue, it ends up being in the promoter's economic best interests to be as unscrupulous as possible in order to sell tickets.

Which is a major factor in why they dont give a damn that thousands of the tickets being snapped up in the first few minutes are bought by people who are just going to try to re-sell them for profit. Allowing this to happen reduces the risk for the promoters - they get the quick return on their very considerable investment and the buck passes to some idiot who thinks he's going to get $1,000 for a pair of nosebleeds.

The band have been paid, the promoter has got their money back and made a profit and TM (or Ticketek or whoever it is) have cleaned up as usual. Whilst those parties can have their egoes satisfied at a show 'selling out' in minutes, the one group in the equation being royally shafted is the fan who isnt lucky enough to have his ticket funded as part of some corporate junket but who has to either pay through the nose to a scalper or broker or play a game of chicken with the promoter and ticket touts at the eleventh hour in the hope that he'll get something for close to the already exorbitant face value.

Meanwhile the band, promoter and ticket agencies are having a laugh at your very considerable expense.

100% correct! It's a very simple and effective scam. A scam that the whole band (Not just Jagger) is more than happy to go along with. It is nothing more than pure greed!

The disgusting price of the tickets at face value is bad enough, but made so much worse by their tactic of saying the gig is sold out, when in truth, thousand and thousands of the tickets were never on general sale, but are moved straight to the secondary market to maximise profit. Most people are either not stupid enough to buy those tickets, or cannot afford them. When it gets closer to the date of the gig, and they have not sold those tickets they magically go back on general sale. Everyone wins, except the fans of the band, who get royally shafted. Do the band know? Yes, of course they do! Do they care? No.....

The Stones are very greedy, and this causes a lot of resentment among a lot of Stones fans that cannot get, or afford a ticket. Nobody forces anyone to buy the tickets though, and although I can easily afford them, I choose not too! If there were more people like me, they would never grt away with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 20:13 by strat72.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 16, 2013 21:05

The Stones to their Minions...Pay,Pay,Pay,Pay,Pay..Let them bleed....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 22:03 by ROPENI.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 21:09

Complaints?
Why?
Tickets selling fast
The Aussi shows are already sold out (except VIP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 21:11 by 1962.

Date: December 16, 2013 22:22

Complaints?
Why?
Tickets selling fast
The Aussi shows are already sold out (except VIP)

Do try and keep up!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:35

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:47

24FPS
CaptainCorella
24FPS
God, it all sounds like when they were gearing up for the North American tour last spring. Wait till you were where those $99 'Lucky Dip' tickets put you. Ah, ha, ha, ha....

Given that the $99s were about half the cost of any otherwise available ticket, getting anywhere has to be seen as a good seat.

And if you are referring to the allocations of the USA equivalents in the (Southern) autumn, I know personally several people who paid their $85 and got into The Pit. On what planet is that not a bargain worth trying for?

Without going into it too deeply again, the idea was that you couldn't possibly end up in a worse place than the next highest priced tickets, which were $150. But they lied. They opened up really rank, obstructed sections, where a couple thousand people were stuck with little view of the concert and terrible sound. They couldn't even see the screens. These tickets were not even offered for sale before the day of the concert. Maybe you were one of the luckiest who got a good seat, but thousands got f-d.

A couple thousand???

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:29

strat72
Gazza

100% correct! It's a very simple and effective scam. A scam that the whole band (Not just Jagger) is more than happy to go along with. It is nothing more than pure greed!

The disgusting price of the tickets at face value is bad enough, but made so much worse by their tactic of saying the gig is sold out, when in truth, thousand and thousands of the tickets were never on general sale, but are moved straight to the secondary market to maximise profit. Most people are either not stupid enough to buy those tickets, or cannot afford them. When it gets closer to the date of the gig, and they have not sold those tickets they magically go back on general sale. Everyone wins, except the fans of the band, who get royally shafted. Do the band know? Yes, of course they do! Do they care? No.....

The Stones are very greedy, and this causes a lot of resentment among a lot of Stones fans that cannot get, or afford a ticket. Nobody forces anyone to buy the tickets though, and although I can easily afford them, I choose not too! If there were more people like me, they would never grt away with it.

this is what many people choose to ignore. The tickets are not grabbed by scalpers on the sale, they are given to the directly by the promoter -- never put on sale -- and the promoter shares in the profits (over and above the face value). This is part of their business plan for the events, these additional profits.

It is true that it may be possible to get something face value the day of the show.

It is also true that many loyal fans are not willing to travel, etc. on such a hope and get royally ripped off for these tickets (I know there's no gun to their heads, but it is the only choice for some if they want to see the band).

It is not the greedy scalpers it is the greedy band. Their price forces these results.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:42

Rokyfan
strat72
Gazza

this is what many people choose to ignore. The tickets are not grabbed by scalpers on the sale, they are given to the directly by the promoter -- never put on sale -- and the promoter shares in the profits (over and above the face value). This is part of their business plan for the events, these additional profits.

It is true that it may be possible to get something face value the day of the show.

It is also true that many loyal fans are not willing to travel, etc. on such a hope and get royally ripped off for these tickets (I know there's no gun to their heads, but it is the only choice for some if they want to see the band).

It is not the greedy scalpers it is the greedy band. Their price forces these results.

If this is the case, then it's something more than greediness - it's a major organized scam.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:43

Gazza
treaclefingers
Gazza
bv

Lol. Brilliant.

Thanks Gazza. I had 3 other replies that I was toying with using, including:

1. You and what army?!

2. Oh yeah, your mother wears army boots!

and,

3. The truth?! You can't handle the truth!

Internal polling showed the 'petty morals' reply winning by a 2 to 1 margin, so I just went with it.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:49

Do we really have to do this very same discussion every time the Rolling Stones are selling tickets? It has been the same for 40+ years. In 1969 they said the prices were crazy. And every tour since then it has been the same. This is not new to anybody. We are just getting older.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:55

bv
Do we really have to do this very same discussion every time the Rolling Stones are selling tickets? It has been the same for 40+ years. In 1969 they said the prices were crazy. And every tour since then it has been the same. This is not new to anybody. We are just getting older.

In '76 ticketprice was 300 Bef (7,5€) in Vorst Nationaal...I asked a friend of mine who was there if he remembered complaining about ticket prices...he didn't...normal prices, he said

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:59

It's a capitalist thing and it goes far beyond the Stones tour : if you sell your product 10 ten times what competition does you're 10 times better than the competition, period!
If the Stones did a normal tour and priced ther tickets reasonably the press would come down on them saying they're a bunch of old farts desperate to fill venues by selling tix at a cheap price.

So Jagger asks a very high price and the Stones tour becomes the event of 2014 down under.
Medias love when records are broken and they love it when they can add the word "ever" to their headlines (most expensive tix "ever", fastest tour to sell out "ever").

Jagger knows all this! smoking smiley

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 00:32

bv

He's right, The Stones have always been greedy, and now they are greedier than ever! I still love the band, but except that they are after very penny they can get, and don't care what their fans, or anyone else thinks. They simply don't give a f••k. If you think about it, it's so punk, so rock n roll, and it's nothing new. Don't bitch about it though, just don't buy a ticket, if you do, you have your own stupidity to blame. I've seen the band so many times that it does not bother me to not see them, if you must see them, don't be a mug punter. Wait till the gig is a few days away and you will get good tickets for less than face with no problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 00:36 by strat72.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 00:48

bv

It's not the prices, it's the methodology. Resellers of this size and internet versus queuing have made it possible for the band and the promoters to 'sell' tickets at way above face. And to sell out and force us to use scalpers or pay $500 for a lanyard and program. THATS WHAT we average fans are talking about BV. WE KNOW it doesn't impact YOU.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 17, 2013 00:53

I saw the band live 5 times in 3 different countries.Spent in total around 250€, always stayed right next to the rail. Even touched Keith's hand once. Yes, most were stadium gigs, but i bought my tickets waiting long hours in front of the sales locations.

Never had the belief that their tickets were that much expensive than the other acts until the latest years. That's not even the main complaint i see in this thread.

To simplify this topic to a "tickets are expensive" level is a bit offensive to the intelligence of many people around here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 00:54 by Torres.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:02

Good comment, Torres!

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:05

No one here downunder I know has complained about ticket prices since the Jagger solo tour of 1988 up until the previous shows of Bigger Bang in 2007.There was always a true and affordable value between cheaper seats to the most expensive.The choice is there and surprisingly availibility.

I thought the 2003 Licks was great value and the Fanclub system with pre code worked (in the begining)very well allowing true fans in the know to even secure a club gig.

The problem for a true stones fan now is this controlled and artificial website lottery . No reward for people waiting in lines, fanclub members or even Visa card holders etc .

This time around I have never seen so many non stones fans around me at work , in the neighbourhood ,footy club etc saying they were going to try and get Stones tickets because this is the last time and we can make a few bucks by reselling them !!
That is what I think has fired up alot of fans more than anything when you then see them for resale $$$.

I was on the Sydney sale right on opening time and everything was fully exhausted.I even plugged in 1 ticket any price and came back with sorry no match !!! I tried for 2 hours after that with nothing. So it is luck of the draw. Just have to join the"pre-game" leading up to the shows

Best of luck to True Fans who have secured true value tickets.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:15

With respect BV the way things are done now vs 1969 are very different. You have the good fortune it seems to have seen this band 100s of times and obviously can well afford to - and good on you.

I find your total missing of the point or the willingness at least to engage it arrogant however given there are many here that having the opportunity to see the Stones is a rare thing indeed. Particularly if you live in a place such as Perth and do not travel with your job.

I have handed over tens of thousands to this band since childhood and they have become exceedingly wealthy men on the backs of ppl just like me. Granted I choose to do this. However these men have been wealthy for half a century and could give back a little more than Hyde Park 44 years ago and Altamont.

What was it he once said? "It never occurred to me why people should pay". No doubt Mr Jagger.

Date: December 17, 2013 01:20

bitusa2012
bv

It's not the prices, it's the methodology. Resellers of this size and internet versus queuing have made it possible for the band and the promoters to 'sell' tickets at way above face. And to sell out and force us to use scalpers or pay $500 for a lanyard and program. THATS WHAT we average fans are talking about BV. WE KNOW it doesn't impact YOU.

thumbs up

Date: December 17, 2013 01:21

dcba
It's a capitalist thing and it goes far beyond the Stones tour : if you sell your product 10 ten times what competition does you're 10 times better than the competition, period!
If the Stones did a normal tour and priced ther tickets reasonably the press would come down on them saying they're a bunch of old farts desperate to fill venues by selling tix at a cheap price.

So Jagger asks a very high price and the Stones tour becomes the event of 2014 down under.
Medias love when records are broken and they love it when they can add the word "ever" to their headlines (most expensive tix "ever", fastest tour to sell out "ever").

Jagger knows all this! smoking smiley

I bet you any money you like they'd be more likely to be commended for it.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:24

Deathgod
How's this for a joke.
From whirlpool:

Tony Gas writes...
oh well i got 6 tongue tickets for sydney show

How did you get six tickets with a maximum two-ticket Ticketek rule? I tried right on 3.00pm and couldn't get a single.

User #5724 1303 posts

posted Tuesday at 12:00 pm

I didn't buy six tickets.
Our company got them through another company as a thanks for doing business type thing. So six of us from work are going.

This is beyond disgusting. If the guy's a Stones fan and really wants to go then good luck to him I guess.
I got some tickets on the 1st elevation for Sydney in the pre-sale. I wanted Pit tickets, and I was right on it at exactly 3PM when they went on sale..but I got nowhere near the pit. I suspect that apart from VIP packages none were available.
So it annoys me that perhaps Corporate t0ssers that I work with who wouldn't know a thing about the Stones will end up with the best tickets..as a Corporate jolly.
And this whole reseller business make the whole process so convoluted and unfair.
I am thankful I got tickets, feel sorry for those who missed out and hope something turns up

Date: December 17, 2013 01:25

bv

Please. '69 was a much documented exception. They got so much flak for it they ended up doing Altamont as some kind of hastily thrown together guilt-trip.

Stones ticket prices, while never cheap, were in line with every other major act until about 1998. You know that as well as anyone.

And the difference has multiplied several times with each successive tour since then.

It has not 'been the same'. Compare the average inflation increase between one tour and the next in the last 15 years and then compare the average ticket price in that time. The difference is huge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 01:26 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1306
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home