Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Boston
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 9, 2013 02:04

The new Boston album "Life Love & Hope" simply rocks. I had reservations since Brad Delp is no longer with us, but he appears on a few tracks and the new lead singer is pretty darn good in his own right. If you like Boston...give it a listen. Tom Scholz is a musical genius.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 02:20 by shadooby.

Re: OT: New Boston
Date: December 9, 2013 02:58

i give it about 3 stars out of 5. the fake drums sound horrid. the mix on a few songs is bad. i hate the female singer doing lead for an entire song.tommy decarlo and david victor and underused. 11 years for 8 brand new songs is a bit of a ripoff.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 9, 2013 03:00

keefriffhard4life
i give it about 3 stars out of 5. the fake drums sound horrid. the mix on a few songs is bad. i hate the female singer doing lead for an entire song.tommy decarlo and david victor and underused. 11 years for 8 brand new songs is a bit of a ripoff.
All of those bad things and you ONLY gave it a 3 lol?

Me, I'm pretty surprised Boston was releasing a new album. The first one is an amazing album, but I never really heard anything about their other records.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 9, 2013 03:01

<<11 years for 8 brand new songs is a bit of a ripoff.>>

That's what people were thinking in the 8 years between their second and third albums.

Date: December 9, 2013 03:02

stonehearted

That's what people were thinking in the 8 years between their second and third albums.

except the songs on 3rd stage are actually good

Date: December 9, 2013 03:03

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
All of those bad things and you ONLY gave it a 3 lol?

Me, I'm pretty surprised Boston was releasing a new album. The first one is an amazing album, but I never really heard anything about their other records.

because i really like 6 of the new songs and 2 of the songs recycled from the corporate america album.

Date: December 9, 2013 03:42

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Yes, but you should have heard the DJs in the early to mid-80s: "I just know they'll have that third album out.... someday...."

Date: December 9, 2013 04:25

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted

Yes, but you should have heard the DJs in the early to mid-80s: "I just know they'll have that third album out.... someday...."

the 2nd album was pretty much forced to be released by the record company. according to scholz a few songs on the album were not 100% complete the way he wanted them and he had a few more songs he was working on that never got finished. scholz said the real timeframe for the 2nd album would have been a 1982 release which would have made it 6 years since the 1st.

Date: December 9, 2013 05:06

^ Which would have meant that it would have had even less impact than it did, because the second album was considered a disappointment--one reason being the three-year gap between the first album and the follow-up, a huge gargantuan time gap for a band making their debut in those days.

Obviously, the word "momentum" in not in Tom Scholz's vocabulary. Tom Scholz? He should be called Time Slows.

Date: December 9, 2013 06:13

stonehearted
^ Which would have meant that it would have had even less impact than it did, because the second album was considered a disappointment--one reason being the three-year gap between the first album and the follow-up, a huge gargantuan time gap for a band making their debut in those days.

Obviously, the word "momentum" in not in Tom Scholz's vocabulary. Tom Scholz? He should be called Time Slows.

tom does pretty much everything. the first album actually took like 5 years to complete

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 9, 2013 06:32

shadooby
The new Boston album "Life Love & Hope" simply rocks. I had reservations since Brad Delp is no longer with us, but he appears on a few tracks and the new lead singer is pretty darn good in his own right. If you like Boston...give it a listen. Tom Scholz is a musical genius.

Cool man, if you can found some new music and you dig it, and that is all that matters.... and tha is getting rarer and rarer to do these days... so be sure to not take seriously one word from the naysayers which might make you like it less... PERIOD!

I myself have not heard the new Boston album, but I am glad you like it, and I appreciate you telling us about it and I will give it a listen.

The last time I checked in on Boston it was for this album and tour

...we were front row and it was a great concert and we HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME!!!... and at the end of the show Tom came out and said something interesting, which I have never heard an other band or artist say at a live show... he said "Every sound you heard at the show tonight was created live by someone on this stage". Those words have haunted me

Date: December 9, 2013 06:36

this is probably the bands last full studio album of new material too. as far as it rockin though there is nothing close to "smokin", "rock n roll band", "cool the engines", " party", etc.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 9, 2013 18:20

Funny Max mentions something Tom Scholz saying haunting him...

When I saw Boston on the Third Stage tour (1987), it was what Brad Delp said during the band introductions that has stayed with me ever since...

While introducing Tom, in addition to giving him credit for vocals, playing guitar & keyboards, Delp also said that Tom had designed and built all of the guitar & PA amplifiers that they were using on that tour. My jaw pretty much hit the ground at those words as I had spent much of the time thinking that it was the best sounding concert I had ever been to as of that point. Also funny from Brad that night, was his comment as to how happy they were to be playing in their home town (show was in Worcester, MA) and how he didn't have to go to a hotel that night because he was going home to his Mom's house.

Say what you want about his music and how long it takes him to produce it. For me, for the first three albums anyway, it was worth the wait. I always liked how the liner notes for Third Stage mentioned that, after a while he quit keeping track of the number of hours he worked on the album and started keeping track of the number of light bulbs which burned out in the studio.

Also thanks to the posters who have offered the reviews of the new album. I had kind of given up on Boston after the Walk On Album but will go looking for the new tracks now that I know they exsist.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 9, 2013 20:37

The new Boston album 'Life, Love & Hope' sounds for me not so special. It sounds in some parts really boring. sad smiley

My favorite Boston album is 'Walk On' from about 20 years ago or so. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:08

Is there a link to listen to it or are you guys already buying it in stores?

Date: December 9, 2013 23:08

Ladykiller
The new Boston album 'Life, Love & Hope' sounds for me not so special. It sounds in some parts really boring. sad smiley

My favorite Boston album is 'Walk On' from about 20 years ago or so. smiling bouncing smiley

for some reason people don't like walk on that much. i think its because delp doesn't sing on it but imo if you never told anyone delp isn't singing they would think its him.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:59

mr_dja
Funny Max mentions something Tom Scholz saying haunting him...

When I saw Boston on the Third Stage tour (1987), it was what Brad Delp said during the band introductions that has stayed with me ever since...

While introducing Tom, in addition to giving him credit for vocals, playing guitar & keyboards, Delp also said that Tom had designed and built all of the guitar & PA amplifiers that they were using on that tour. My jaw pretty much hit the ground at those words as I had spent much of the time thinking that it was the best sounding concert I had ever been to as of that point. Also funny from Brad that night, was his comment as to how happy they were to be playing in their home town (show was in Worcester, MA) and how he didn't have to go to a hotel that night because he was going home to his Mom's house.

Say what you want about his music and how long it takes him to produce it. For me, for the first three albums anyway, it was worth the wait. I always liked how the liner notes for Third Stage mentioned that, after a while he quit keeping track of the number of hours he worked on the album and started keeping track of the number of light bulbs which burned out in the studio.

Also thanks to the posters who have offered the reviews of the new album. I had kind of given up on Boston after the Walk On Album but will go looking for the new tracks now that I know they exsist.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You can buy or stream those Worcester shows (there were several) on Wolfgang's Vault. They sound awesome! The entire Third Stage album along with the other hits...Man I wish I could've been there. Consider yourself fortunate indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 00:00 by shadooby.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:09

Shodooby =>

Thanks for the info on the availability of those Worcester shows... Never even dawned on me to go looking for them! I will be now though!

Believe me, even at the time we knew how fortunate we were to be seeing them. If I remember correctly, I was at show #8 of the 9 that they did on that stand. What an adventure it was getting those tickets. Probably worked harder for those than any before or since. After they sold out the first six shows, they actually had to negotiate with Whitney Houston to reschedule a show or two of her's so they could stay in the arena (the Centrum) longer. As I remember it, the night I was there, they played every song on the first three albums EXCEPT "Smokin'" as they weren't playing it on that tour due to the fact that they didn't "Smoke" anymore. What an awesome show even without one of my favorite songs.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:27

stonehearted

And what are we on right about now...9 years with the stones, and two 'new' songs in that time?

Boston sounds like overachievers in comparison.

Date: December 10, 2013 01:41

^ Maybe Tom Scholz should've joined The Stones--we'd have had a new album by now, and another one on the way in the next 8 or so. Yes, The Stones could use someone like Sholz, someone who could rein that jet-setting lead singer in and get him working, slowly but surely. Maybe it wouldn't be the biggest bang, but it would be a clap in the right direction.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 10, 2013 09:46

Excuse me, which is the way to 2014?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2013 09:56

...straight ahead ... don't look back

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2013 10:28

Just hitch a ride.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home