Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Tokyo Rolling Stones shows and travel info
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 22, 2014 06:52

a bigger nut

But I saw many scalpers just in front of Suidobashi station west entrance gate at Mcartney's show last November.

a bigger nut san,

I didn't know that. I guess tough scalpers are surviving still now.

In the past, there were many street traders around the venue selling bootleg t-shirts, stickers, posters and so on.
They were always selling great merchandise than the official shop.
What a fond memory.
It's regrettable that the police and the venue have driven them out of sight.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 22, 2014 07:50

I hate to be the guy to throw cold water on this plan, but arriving at Narita at 3:00 p.m., stop off at the hotel, find a ticket, and see the show that starts at 7:00 p.m.? I think that you are cutting it way too close. There could be a flight delay, immigrations could be crowded - people who live here forget that normal foreigners have to get in a (sometimes quite long)line to go through immigration, etc. If I were you:

1. First, I would try to change my flight to the day before. If not possible, proceed to no. 2.

2. Buy a concert ticket in advance. If you don't make the show, you lose the $200, but it's better than arriving at the Dome expecting to find a scalper who will give you a break.

3. If you exit the plane first (Business class?), don't have checked baggage, and somehow avoid other flights at immigration, then you could get through customs very quickly, but if not, then at best, I think you will get out around 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. That leaves only 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and it's at least an 1- 1/2 hours including waiting time just to get to the city.

4. Traffic in to the city can be very unpredictable, so I would avoid the limousine buses and stay with the trains. If you're a wealthy guy and can afford a taxi all the way to your hotel ($250 - $300), then it's probably worth the risk of crowded freeways, because even when crowded it doesn't take more than 2 hours and you avoid the additional leg from Tokyo station to your hotel. Otherwise, the Narita Express (one level below the Arrival floor) is the fastest to Tokyo Station ($40). It runs every 30 minutes and they are never full, but you need to buy a ticket, which takes time.

5. From Tokyo Station, unless you are very familiar with Tokyo Station and the subway system, I would walk out of the station and jump immediately in a taxi. Give them the address of your hotel in writing (does not have to be Japanese). Shouldn't be more that $15 - $20 from Tokyo Station to your hotel. Well worth it.

6. Jimbocho is very close to Tokyo Dome, but again, rather than waste time looking for a subway station, walking from the station to the Dome etc., I would jump in a taxi. $10 - $15 or so.

Yeesh.. Good luck

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: January 22, 2014 08:09

You all have been great. Thanks for the advice. At first I was only going to try to see the shows in China, but saw I could get a flight with an 18 hour lay-over in Tokyo and possibly make the show.
Still in the planning stages as of now. I know the train is the best option. Have been warned about traffic, so do not want to take a chance in a taxi...nor am I wealthy !! Great idea to take taxi from Tokyo Station directly to hotel.
I would like to keep my bag checked all the way to Shanghai, so I don't have to go thru baggage claim. Or do I have to retrieve bag? Or will just do carry-on since I wanted to stop at hotel to drop off computer backpack.

Ticket will continue to be an issue, it appears. On-line auctions? What would the delivery be...electronic? Any sites you have used that you trust?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2014 09:35

6s7s9s

Ticket will continue to be an issue, it appears. Any sites you have used that you trust?

Maybe JapanConcertTickets has a idea about this, or atsu-y from Hot Stuff Japan .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 09:55 by Irix.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: January 22, 2014 14:35

6s7s9s
If I'm reading correctly, the concerts in Japan start at 18:30 ???

I have never been to Japan before. My flight would land at 15:00, at Narita.
Do I have enough time to go thru customs and get to my hotel (is very close to the Dome) and still get to concert in time?

I assume the train is the quickest option.

THX

Don't even try it. Belive me. It has taken me longer to get home in Tokyo from Narita on occasion than it has taken to fly from Narita to Guangzhou China) a 4 hr flight) . No exagerration.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 22, 2014 16:12

6s7s9s
If I'm reading correctly, the concerts in Japan start at 18:30 ???

I have never been to Japan before. My flight would land at 15:00, at Narita.
Do I have enough time to go thru customs and get to my hotel (is very close to the Dome) and still get to concert in time?

I assume the train is the quickest option.

THX

These concerts will start around 7pm. If you land at 3pm you should clear the customs and baggage claim by 4:45pm if not a little sooner. Take the train to the hotel. You should get there no later than 6pm. Check in & get cleaned up.

Leave the hotel for the concert no later than 6:20pm and hope for the best when you get there as far as tickets being available from anyone outside the train station or the venue.

I would bring a small cardboard sign to hold up with "I want to buy a Rolling Stones ticket please" written in English and Japanese.
The ticket sellers will see it and approach you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 16:34 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 22, 2014 16:24

The Stones shows in Japan do start EARLY!!! In 2006 the warmup was on at 7pm and the Stones at 8pm sharp. In Saitama it was half an hour earlier. They used to say that Japanese fans walked directly from the office and to the show. Be there early! There might not even be a warmup! And be there at least one hour before the show time that is printed on the ticket. Or even better two. Why wait? So boring if you arrive halfway into the show, because Memory Motel, Fool To Cry, Dead Flowers, She's A Rainbow, Shine A Light and all those other one-off's do appear early.

Bjornulf

Date: January 22, 2014 18:05

So, in looking at travel plans for this trip, I came across something I had never heard of or seen before.
Anyone ever seen or stayed in a "Capsule" hotel? From the looks of it, you get a storage area for luggage and then sleep in an enclosed bunk. One picture I saw had them stacked up...like 3 or 4 high in a hallway. Interesting concept for someone who only needs a place to sleep, but def not for the claustrophobic.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2014 18:20

6s7s9s

Anyone ever seen or stayed in a "Capsule" hotel?

Capsule hotel (since 1979): [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 20:15 by Irix.

Date: January 22, 2014 20:19

6s7s9s
You all have been great. Thanks for the advice. At first I was only going to try to see the shows in China, but saw I could get a flight with an 18 hour lay-over in Tokyo and possibly make the show.
Still in the planning stages as of now. I know the train is the best option. Have been warned about traffic, so do not want to take a chance in a taxi...nor am I wealthy !! Great idea to take taxi from Tokyo Station directly to hotel.
I would like to keep my bag checked all the way to Shanghai, so I don't have to go thru baggage claim. Or do I have to retrieve bag? Or will just do carry-on since I wanted to stop at hotel to drop off computer backpack.

Ticket will continue to be an issue, it appears. On-line auctions? What would the delivery be...electronic? Any sites you have used that you trust?

Call the airline and confirm whether you can leave your luggage in transit. If possible, this increases your odds significantly.

If you are sure you want to go send me a PM. I can help you get a face value ticket in a decent location (remembering that it's the Dome, so you'll be watching the screens from virtually any location other than the first 20 rows or so).

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 22, 2014 23:30

6s7s9s
So, in looking at travel plans for this trip, I came across something I had never heard of or seen before.
Anyone ever seen or stayed in a "Capsule" hotel? From the looks of it, you get a storage area for luggage and then sleep in an enclosed bunk. One picture I saw had them stacked up...like 3 or 4 high in a hallway. Interesting concept for someone who only needs a place to sleep, but def not for the claustrophobic.

Yes! The Wink Hostel in Singapore is capsule (but no door). My wife and I stayed in a double for 3 nights, in a room that had about a half-dozen capsules. Very good experience, highly recommended - especially as quality budget accommodation options in Singapore are lousy. Capsules are part of Japanese culture.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 23, 2014 02:16

DeanGoodman
6s7s9s

Yes! The Wink Hostel in Singapore is capsule (but no door). My wife and I stayed in a double for 3 nights, in a room that had about a half-dozen capsules. Very good experience, highly recommended - especially as quality budget accommodation options in Singapore are lousy. Capsules are part of Japanese culture.

I sometimes stayed this capsule hotel 30 years ago or so.
[www.hgpshinjuku.jp]
That was amazing experience.
This capsule is located in Kabukicho, Shinjuku.
As Kabukicho is 24/7 area in Tokyo, you may not need hotel.smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 23, 2014 02:28

6s7s9s - you will be able to dine out with us in China on the denouement of this intriguing conundrum and then some.

Date: January 23, 2014 04:23

Looking forward to it, Beast. It will be an 18-hr whirlwind of drama in Tokyo for sure !!

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: January 23, 2014 05:43

Only in Japanese but it looks like some tickets are dropped.
All 3 days available now.

[eplus.jp]

You can pick up tickets at 7/11 outlets near Dome.

Date: January 23, 2014 09:48

a bigger nut

[eplus.jp]

So you can just go down to a 7-11 store here and buy a ticket for 150.00 ?

Date: January 23, 2014 10:37

tornnfrayed
a bigger nut

[eplus.jp]

No.
7/11(Ticket Pia) don't have available tickets now.

But eplus.jp have. And if you bought a ticket at eplus.jp, you can pick up at 7/11 outlets. 7/11 provide just pickup service to eplus customers. Maybe you have to pay 100-200JPY as commission tho.

And there must be some 7/11 outlets near Dome.

Date: January 23, 2014 10:53

a bigger nut
tornnfrayed
a bigger nut

[eplus.jp]

Thanks. What is the chance that there are going to be good seats at reasonable prices a few days before the show ? In the US they dropped prices dramatically on the VIP seats when those seats were not selling. I am just wondering if the same thing is going to happen in Tokyo. How are sales so far ? If I can get a decent seat where I don't have to watch the show on a monitor I might consider going if it is around 20,000 yen.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 23, 2014 10:55

6s7s9s

You are not that broke. Try Toyoko Inn. They are way better and cheap. To sleep in a cocoon is not human I think...

Bjornulf

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 23, 2014 11:43

Have you considered catching the train straight from the airport to the Dome to save time? You could check in to the hotel after if you only have a small bag?

Posted by: mickeyjaggar ()
Date: January 23, 2014 11:43

6s7s9s
Ticket will continue to be an issue, it appears.

The biggest issue is that you can’t choose the seats. You can pick the number of consecutive seats and the ticket category without knowing the actual location. Golden Circle seats are most predictable because it locates somewhere around the main & secondary stage including the catwalk. But it covers the first to the 45th row in the center blocks. It costs you 80,000 yen (US$ 767) per a ticket. You could be ecstatic to get a front row for that price or could be seated at the 40 something rows and forever tormented by the booming acoustics of Tokyo Dome. Yeah it is pretty much nothing but a lottery.
Apart from Golden Circle seats, almost every other seat in Tokyo Dome is so-called “S” seat. They can be the floor seats right next to Golden Circle seats or the first or even second stands seats.
Without using the auction sites, you might be able to get a good seat for the reasonable prices at the ticket (discount) shop in Tokyo. But they usually will be sold or resold for the up-for the grabs price a few days before the concert date.
Your best shot is to find some Japanese fan to help you get a ticket for the show. Ask around here and there. Not so many but surely some will.
mickey

Date: January 23, 2014 18:11

bv
6s7s9s

You are not that broke. Try Toyoko Inn. They are way better and cheap. To sleep in a cocoon is not human I think...

No, I am not going to stay in a capsule hotel. I just posted the info here out of curiousity whether anyone had stayed in one before.

Date: January 23, 2014 18:31

tornnfrayed
Thanks. What is the chance that there are going to be good seats at reasonable prices a few days before the show ? In the US they dropped prices dramatically on the VIP seats when those seats were not selling. I am just wondering if the same thing is going to happen in Tokyo. How are sales so far ? If I can get a decent seat where I don't have to watch the show on a monitor I might consider going if it is around 20,000 yen.

It will be very difficult. You need super luck.
There are tons of Japanese fan who have nosebleed 2nd tier stand ticket. Some of them will pay another 20,000JPY if such good seats sold.

And at first, promoter announced that they sell only 500 GC(Golden Circle) tickets per show.
But it looks like there are 2 or 3 times more. Some of GC buyers complaining about it on a internet message board and maybe some of them called promoter for complains. So it is hard to drop price in such situation.

I already have Tokyo final show tickets, looking for 2nd night tickets at Yahoo Auction site.
GC ticket marketprice is between 80,000JPY-150,000JPY.
As mickeyjaggar saying, GC covers 1st row to 45th.
And there are no bidders for some 45th row tickets even with its face value 80,000JPY but it will never fall down to 20,000JPY I guess.

Date: January 23, 2014 18:35

You know, I wonder what happened to the seats that were going to be in the "VIP" packages that got cancelled by slotix - it seems like auction sites are not showing many first five row tix - they must be somewhere. Perhaps some of them will be in the latest ticket drops. That makes them interesting. But, not being able to know what tickets you are paying $180 makes it too much of a crapshoot to me. I don't want to end up with tickets in the second tier (that I'll never be able to sell).

Tokyo Dome
Posted by: Yman56 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 20:51

Does anyone know if the 3 shows at the Tokyo Dome are sold out yet? Thanks!

Re: Tokyo Dome
Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: January 24, 2014 01:56

I think it's still on, or in the middle of the lottery process.

there's a thread about it and ticket website is [14onfire-japantour.com]

Posted by: mickeyjaggar ()
Date: January 24, 2014 12:47

6s7s9s

Hi 6s7s9s
How could I get a contact with you? I have something to offer.....
Mickey

Date: January 24, 2014 16:31

a bigger nut
tornnfrayed

It will be very difficult. You need super luck.
There are tons of Japanese fan who have nosebleed 2nd tier stand ticket. Some of them will pay another 20,000JPY if such good seats sold.

And at first, promoter announced that they sell only 500 GC(Golden Circle) tickets per show.
But it looks like there are 2 or 3 times more. Some of GC buyers complaining about it on a internet message board and maybe some of them called promoter for complains. So it is hard to drop price in such situation.

I already have Tokyo final show tickets, looking for 2nd night tickets at Yahoo Auction site.
GC ticket marketprice is between 80,000JPY-150,000JPY.
As mickeyjaggar saying, GC covers 1st row to 45th.
And there are no bidders for some 45th row tickets even with its face value 80,000JPY but it will never fall down to 20,000JPY I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. I think I will pass. I am content with the memories of seeing the Stones when they were young, good and cheap !

Date: January 24, 2014 22:34

The Tokyo Dome is a typical baseball stadium. Unless you are within the first 25 rows in the sections in front of the stage, you are basically going to watch the monitor. Unlike football stadiums, because of the shape of a baseball field, the stands on the side of the stage are faarrrrr away. But, it is what it is. If you live in Tokyo, why not try and find a desperate seller and buy a stand seat for as cheap as you can get it - even from the nosebleeds, I'd rather be at a Stones show than anywhere else I can think of.

Date: January 24, 2014 22:56

mickeyjaggar
6s7s9s

Hi 6s7s9s
How could I get a contact with you? I have something to offer.....
Mickey

jwal129@wowway.com

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home