Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Tokyo Rolling Stones shows and travel info
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 20, 2013 21:32

Ah Shinjuku. I remember visiting Cross Records there in 2005. Stones heaven that was. Glad to see there are still more than a few outlets for cool Stones stuff.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: December 21, 2013 03:25

StonedInTokyo
If driving, turn left at the light for Nishi-Shinjuku bootleg district. This intersection is about two blocks north of Shinjuku Station, which from this point of view would be located about 500 yards to the right:

Crazy Mama (7th floor) & Back Trip Records (9th floor) are located in this bldg:

Below is Blind Faith, located about two blocks north of Crazy Mama & Back Trip.

It's on the same side of the main street as them, about 200 ft down a small side road. If you start walking north from the Seven Eleven adjacent to the Crazy Mama / Back Trip Records bldg and come to another Seven Eleven on the
left you've walked too far. You should turn back and make a right into the
next side street.

Note when I say walking north you are walking further away from your starting point at Shinjuku Station.

To get to Strangelove records, just go back to main street that Crazy Mama / Back Trip Records are on and continue walking North a block or two. There's a big yellow banana on the sign. You can't miss it.

If I am coming by train which station, Nishi Shinjuku ? And which exit ? How far from the station ? Thanks for posting the pics. It helps

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: December 21, 2013 04:04

tornnfrayed
If I am coming by train which station, Nishi Shinjuku ? And which exit ? How far from the station ? Thanks for posting the pics. It helps

I usually walk from the West Exit at SHINJUKU STATION as from there it's only a ten minute walk. Using Google map match the intersection to it's proximity to the station. It will help you to get your bearings. I would also print the picture(s)
to use whenever asking for directions.

Date: December 21, 2013 05:12

Hey, thanks. Much appreicated.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 22, 2013 03:19

Toru A
If you want to stay Chinese-owned hotel in Tokyo like Stones do, it'll be cool.smiling smiley

If you want to economize the budget, this must be the place.
[www.toyoko-inn.com]

You'll get The Tokyo Dome within five hundred steps from this hotel.
Many concert-goers from outside of Tokyo utilize this accessible hotel.

Pursuant to request,

Green Hotel
[www.greenhotel.co.jp]

Hotel Niwa
[www.hotelniwa.jp]

Date: January 16, 2014 01:56

Why don't you try Traditional Japanese Ryokan Inn?

[www.japaneseguesthouses.com]

Homeikan
[www.japaneseguesthouses.com]
It's a 10 minute walk from Tokyo Dome.

Sawanoya
[www.sawanoya.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-17 23:21 by bv.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:09

Yes. They just cancelled the VIP package, without much explanation. Odd.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:10

Holy Bootleg

Date: January 16, 2014 08:09

I am wondering. Are the Tokyo shows going to be the the US shows last year where you could go up and get a really good seat on the day of the show ? Or is it going to be the typical overpriced Tokyo show ? Any ideas. Am thinking about going .

Posted by: mickeyjaggar ()
Date: January 16, 2014 08:14

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD
Japanese promoter announced that they would not sell VIP packages for the up-coming Rolling Stones shows in Tokyo!!! Looks like they could not hammer out an agreement with SLO. It surely lets some of us down…..

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 16, 2014 11:09

Secondary market (Yahoo Auction) will be very active - there will be many fans who were counting on the VIP package competing for the good seats on the arena floor. I'll probably be one of them . . . . . sad smiley

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:35

Any Far East travel pros...please weigh in.

I have the opportunity to use miles to book a round trip flight from Chicago to Shanghai. On the flight there, one option is to fly thru Toyko with an 18-hr lay-over. This would give me time to see the March 6 show in Tokyo. With a ticket such as this, would I be permitted to leave the airport? I would have to go thru customs, etc. Just wondering if my destination being somewhere other than Tokyo would prohibit me from exiting the airport.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: January 18, 2014 03:49

6s7s9s
Any Far East travel pros...please weigh in.

I have the opportunity to use miles to book a round trip flight from Chicago to Shanghai. On the flight there, one option is to fly thru Toyko with an 18-hr lay-over. This would give me time to see the March 6 show in Tokyo. With a ticket such as this, would I be permitted to leave the airport? I would have to go thru customs, etc. Just wondering if my destination being somewhere other than Tokyo would prohibit me from exiting the airport.

No problem at all if you have a valid visa or non visa required passport for Japan.
I am not 100% sure but probably US passport holders don't need visa for Japan.

As I am Japanese, I have never do it in Tokyo.
But sometimes do it other countries.

Posted by: keeffan ()
Date: January 19, 2014 01:24

OK looks like I have to use a Japanese reseller to get tickets. Anybody know of a reliable one that does not charge a fortune in fees? I really want to get GC tickets but I think they may just be beyong my budget from what I have been reading on the Internet.

Thanks.
Cliff

Date: January 21, 2014 16:04

If I'm reading correctly, the concerts in Japan start at 18:30 ???

I have never been to Japan before. My flight would land at 15:00, at Narita.
Do I have enough time to go thru customs and get to my hotel (is very close to the Dome) and still get to concert in time?

I assume the train is the quickest option.

THX

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: January 21, 2014 17:55

I never been in Tokyo but a little search on the internet gives the following info.

Also take a look on this site: [www.narita-airport.jp]

Lets say you are off the airport at 16:00. Then take 1 hour for travelling to Tokyo and it will be 17:00. Then half an hour till one hour to find your way to the hotel/the dome and it will be 18:00. To make it quicker: take a taxi.

I don't know why they would start at 18:30. Start of the show will usually be approx. 20:30. If you will attend the second or third show in Tokyo, you will know pretty sure at what time they will start.

It's possible, but i hope you don't have any flightdelay, traindelay or some other trouble confused smiley

If somebody has more experience with travelling in Japan (Tokyo), please correct me.

Date: January 21, 2014 18:17

Thanks, Skyhawk. I have been looking at similar sites. All recommend trains because traffic can be terrible. I read one case where the taxi took more than 3 hours.
It seems as long as the flight is not delayed, I should be able to make it.

Tickets...now that's another story.

Are there people selling tickets outside the stadium? How strict are they in Japan regarding "scalpers"?

Date: January 21, 2014 18:37

Skyhawk, your estimation is correct.
It will be possible but no enough spare time even if there was no flight delay.

And he should take Skyliner or Narita Express from airport.
Those are the fastest options to the city.

6s7s9s, if you give me your hotel address, I can tell you the best transfer route from airport.

I expect show will start between 18:45 and 19:15. Then finish around 21:00.
It is very common in Japan.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 21, 2014 18:40

6s7s9s
If I'm reading correctly, the concerts in Japan start at 18:30 ???

I have never been to Japan before. My flight would land at 15:00, at Narita.
Do I have enough time to go thru customs and get to my hotel (is very close to the Dome) and still get to concert in time?

I assume the train is the quickest option.

THX

Do-able. But it's a military operation and you'll need a few stiff drinks to unwind when you get to your seat. Japanese shows traditionally start early. The Stones were on about 7 or so when I was there for the 2003 shows. I see the 2006 shows started about 8, but that was after a supporting act.

You are assuming the plane arrives on time, that you can knock down fellow passengers as you get off the plane and rush to customs/immigration - where you hope there are not several 787s worth of people in front of you.

Pleasant girls will direct you to the Narita Express. An hour later, connect at the overwhelmingly large Tokyo station for the JR Chuo line to Suidobashi, or thereabouts. You may have a Japan Rail pass. Concert day won't be a good day to wait in line to get it validated. Pay the cash rate, which may involve asking aforementioned pleasant girls to help you with the ticket machine.

Don't take taxi ex-Narita.

I don't normally recommend getting foreign $ beforehand since ATMs are plentiful. Alas, most ATMs in Japan don't work with foreigner cards - except those in post offices and 7/11s, and you don't have time to dick around on game day.

I defer to older hands who may have better intelligence.

Date: January 21, 2014 19:46

Thanks for all your suggestions.

My hotel is the Villa Fontaine Kudanshita. Closest train stop is Jimbocho.
Not quite sure how to get from the Tokyo Station to Jimbocho. ???

I was lucky to be able to squeeze this one in. Booked a flight to Shanghai (from Chicago) with 17-hour lay-over in Tokyo, just to be able to get an extra show.

Date: January 21, 2014 20:03

Looks easy on the map. One stop on Marunouchi (red) line to Otemachi, transfer to the Mita line for one stop. Get off. Ask hotel which numbered subway exit to take. Tokyo Dome is one additional stop on Mita line. You have the Chinese visa sorted?

Add: Exit A2, per hotel web site. Good idea to print out their map.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-21 20:08 by DeanGoodman.

Date: January 22, 2014 01:25

6s7s9s
Thanks for all your suggestions.

My hotel is the Villa Fontaine Kudanshita. Closest train stop is Jimbocho.
Not quite sure how to get from the Tokyo Station to Jimbocho. ???

I was lucky to be able to squeeze this one in. Booked a flight to Shanghai (from Chicago) with 17-hour lay-over in Tokyo, just to be able to get an extra show.

Airport Limousine is easier way if you can go through customs in good time.
See below.
[www.limousinebus.co.jp]

Narita 16:00->Tokyo Dome Hotel 18:15
Narita 17:00->Tokyo Dome Hotel 19:15

Villa Fontaine Kudanshita is 10 minute walk from Tokyo Dome Hotel.
Tokyo Dome is 1 minute walk from Tokyo Dome Hotel.smiling smiley

However please reckon in the possibility of transportation delay.

Date: January 22, 2014 02:08

DeanGoodman
Looks easy on the map. One stop on Marunouchi (red) line to Otemachi, transfer to the Mita line for one stop. Get off. Ask hotel which numbered subway exit to take. Tokyo Dome is one additional stop on Mita line. You have the Chinese visa sorted?

I think it is better to transfer to Hanzomon(purple) line at Otemachi.
Connection between Marunouchi line and Hanzomon line is much easier. Just one floor down.

Date: January 22, 2014 02:31

I don't know which terminal you arrived at Narita T1 or T2.
But all the train runs T1 -> T2 ->->-> City.

Narita Express No.36 Airport T1 16:18-> Tokyo 17:17
Metro Marunouchisen Line(red) Tokyo 17:26 -> Otemachi 17:28
Metro Hanzomonsen Line(purple) Otemachi 17:31 ->Jinbocho 17:34

As DeanGoodman saying, Tokyo station is quite huge. But I think it is relatively easy to transfer between Narita Express platform and Marunouchi line.
You need to buy 160JPY metro ticket at Tokyo station.

Skyliner No.37 Airport T1 16:38-> Nippori 17:19
JR Yamanotesen Line(green) Nippori 17:25 -> Sugamo 17:32
Toei Metro Mitasen Line (blue) Sugamo 17:38 ->Jinbocho 17:47

You need to buy 150JPY JR ticket at Nippori and another 210JPY metro ticket at Sugamo.

(This connection won't in time at Dome)
Skyliner No.36 Airport T1 16:59-> Nippori 17:40
JR Yamanotesen Line Nippori 17:46 -> Sugamo 17:54
Toei Metro Mitasen Line Sugamo 17:59 ->Jinbocho 18:08

I believe it will take at least 20 minutes from this hotel to your seat in Dome. Or maybe 30 min.

Date: January 22, 2014 02:32

a bigger nut
DeanGoodman

Connection between Marunouchi line and Hanzomon line is much easier. Just one floor down.

For sure, absolutely. Every minute counts, especially if he's on the ANA flight that has an average arrival delay of 32 minutes! I was thinking Mita in case he needs to go straight to the venue (where he can hopefully dump his bag somewhere?).

Date: January 22, 2014 02:50

6s7s9s
Thanks, Skyhawk. I have been looking at similar sites. All recommend trains because traffic can be terrible. I read one case where the taxi took more than 3 hours.

Are there people selling tickets outside the stadium? How strict are they in Japan regarding "scalpers"?

You can't rely on scalpers anymore.
Scalpers are seldom seen around the venue lately because of the legal enforcement to Tokyo Dome.
I know I had a good relationship with scalper's organization before.grinning smiley
They had to go underground(Internet auctions).

Promoter may sell tickets at the door on the day but it will start at 16:00 or so.
I saw huge line at Paul McCartney's Tokyo Dome show last year while I was walking my dog.
People were waiting in line around 20:00 even after the show started.

Date: January 22, 2014 02:58

DeanGoodman
a bigger nut
DeanGoodman

For sure, absolutely. Every minute counts, especially if he's on the ANA flight that has an average arrival delay of 32 minutes! I was thinking Mita in case he needs to go straight to the venue (where he can hopefully dump his bag somewhere?).

I see.
Then if it was only 18 hours lay-over at Tokyo, there is another option.

He should check-in his luggage at departure airport directly through Shanghai. Airlines will allow it if it was less than 24 hours lay-over.

I mean he enter to Japan only with his hand luggage.
Then there is no luggage pick up at Narita and he can even go to Dome without hotel check-in.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 22, 2014 03:27

I've been to Japan 8 times in the last 13 years and all you need is a valid passport if coming from the US. Wish I could make the Japan shows as it would be cool to see the Stones there. As it turns out, I will be In Japan 3 weeks afterthe shows. Ah well...

Date: January 22, 2014 03:38

ChrisM
I've been to Japan 8 times in the last 13 years and all you need is a valid passport if coming from the US. Wish I could make the Japan shows as it would be cool to see the Stones there. As it turns out, I will be In Japan 3 weeks afterthe shows. Ah well...

Chris M san,
I hope you and Stones will jam at Shimbashi Club ZZ.winking smiley

Date: January 22, 2014 05:31

Toru A
6s7s9s

You can't rely on scalpers anymore.
Scalpers are seldom seen around the venue lately because of the legal enforcement to Tokyo Dome.
I know I had a good relationship with scalper's organization before.grinning smiley
They had to go underground(Internet auctions).

Promoter may sell tickets at the door on the day but it will start at 16:00 or so.
I saw huge line at Paul McCartney's Tokyo Dome show last year while I was walking my dog.
People were waiting in line around 20:00 even after the show started.

Hi, Toru-san.

Scalpers are seldom seen around the venue. It is correct.
But I saw many scalpers just in front of Suidobashi station west entrance gate at Mcartney's show last November.

I don't know why but it looks like there is unwritten rule between scalpers and police.
Strictly banned in Tokyo Dome area but not just in front of Suidobashi station.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home